Faith

Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt Lake City

Comments

• Hunam Layton, UT
    March 17, 2014 5:58 a.m.

The Book of Mormon is a great book. I am grateful for its teachings. It has made my life bearable. When I read it, I feel spiritual strength to make powerful changes in my life, because I come to better understand what God did for me. I come to know in a much more personal way how I fit into this vast universe, and the purpose of the Savior Jesus Christ in this existence. I wish I had taken it more serious when I was younger. A lot of the troubles of my youth would've been much more manageable, but for now, all I can do is be grateful for the grace and insights that come from knowing that God loves us, and gives us many chances to repent and make the most of our time on earth, and that He continues to speak through prophets and provides direction and insight for our day. I suggest rather than laugh at the book, read it, ponder it, and pray to receive a witness that God cares about you.

• scorsi Farmington, UT
    March 14, 2014 11:31 a.m.

I'm not going to see it. I might if if weren't so vulgar. Not saying the play is a bad thing. Didn't a leader in the church once say "you cant kick the church anywhere but up the stairs" or something like that. Looks like the church is taking advantage of it to spread the message of the Book of Mormon. My nephew who is not Mormon was talking about it and probably wouldn't have thought twice about the Book of Mormon had he not seen clips from the internet of this.

• thornfield Ames, IA
    March 13, 2014 11:43 a.m.

Appreciate "Utes Fan" sharing the REAL story of what is happening in the great countries in Africa!

Brigham Young once stated that anytime you "kick Mormonism, you kick it upstairs". This vulgar, offensive musical provides opportunities to clarify, testify and allow truth to be shared. The Church's response is a class act.

"Calumny (deliberate slander) may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldy, nobly and independent..."

Bring it on. I love living in the time when we are watching the fulfillment of these prophetic words.

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:11 a.m.

@Jeanie...Those that have lived outside of Planet Utah (not just for 2 years) understand very well what I am saying. Unfortunately, I'm most certain my honesty and true feelings would not make it past D.N. monitors. Let's see if they allow even this retort?

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    March 11, 2014 2:16 p.m.

I have an LDS friend from Idaho who saw the show in NY and thought it was very good theater.

I have African LDS friends in Southern California who are offended by the show's portrayal of Africans.

I have non-member friends who have approached me about the real Book of Mormon because of the show. They usually ask me if I'm going to see it, and when I tell them why not, it leads to many good, fruitful discussions. It is a phenomenon that has long been documented that even negative publicity about the Church--especially large, anti-Mormon attacks--contribute to Church growth more than detract from it.

Personally, I've been satirizing Mormons for years. I think it's healthy to look at ourselves and laugh. Sometimes that laughter provokes necessary change.

So, why didn't I see it when it was in Southern California?

The show contains graphic accounts of sexual degradation. It uses the "F" word more than any show in Broadway history; it includes one song in which that vulgarity is addressed directly to God (in African). Why would I pay someone to entertain me with such material?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 10:26 a.m.

stenar,

You really need to go back and read all the comments. You're three steps behind.

Are you really suggesting there would be no difference in Americans' attitudes towards a play mocking Islam as there is towards the Mormon play?

And that's just saying here in the US. Could you imagine a play mocking Islam being put on in the middle east, just as the Mormon play is coming here to Mormon headquarters?

Thanks Mormons for your peaceful and level headed as always approach.

• sharrona layton, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:59 a.m.

RE:Jasonlivy, “After reading the comments, it's interesting to see the evidence of various commentor's true colors, not that I had any doubts.”

The Book of Mormon, A Marvelous Work and Wonder. A Modern Translation, “ Therefore I will take awesome vengeance on these hypocrites, and make their wisest counselors as fools.” (Is 29:14 LB.) Or,

God denounces the policy of the Wise in Judah seeking an alliance with Egypt against Assyria. Fulfilled ultimately the Jews reject Jesus, Not the BoM.

Is 29:14.is not a prophecy about the Bom But God will punish the Jews for spiritual wickedness; He will remove their discernment from their hearts. Fulfilled in that they rejected Christ

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:36 a.m.

Chris B, the creators of this musical have had satirical episodes about Muslims and other religions on their show, South Park.

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:31 a.m.

YAY! I can't wait to see it.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    March 10, 2014 4:55 p.m.

The fact is this play mocks what we hold as sacred. Christ spoke out against throwing pearls before swine. This seems to be just that.

• occams_beard_trimmer Salt Lake, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:29 a.m.

Loved it.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:05 a.m.

All over London, and frequently broadcasted in news and other media, there are signs on buses saying "I love (heart) Mormons." Come on folks, look at the bright side.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 9:38 a.m.

I'll be foregoing the pricey out-of-towners and buying local-- Saturday's Voyeur at SLAC was satirizing Utah culture and politics since Trey Parker was in short pants. Homegrown is better.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 9:35 a.m.

@SlopJ30

"If you're a dour, scripture-quoting, prophet-quoting true believer, you now have yet another subject to lecture the youth on, bear a testimony about, and feel superior to."

-------
    Personally, I am not offended that the play pokes fun at supposedly naive missionaries, as in the play the native Ugandans are more concerned about poverty, war, AIDS, etc, and the missionaries are supposedly naive about this. I have demonstrated in an earlier post that clearly Mormons are not the naive ones on this.

However, the play makes satire about babies being raped, women having sexual violence against them, genital mutilation, Jeffrey Dahmer (serial killer and rapist) etc. Even though the LDS Church leaders have responded appropriately by not responding, that hardly means we should condone the toilet bowl humor this play displays.

No thanks.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 10, 2014 9:06 a.m.

This is a win-win-win. If you've alway wanted to see the play but didn't want to travel to NYC to see it, you win.

If you're an LDS chuch member who is willing to accept and find humor in the fact that outsiders may find your doctrines, history and culture to be absurd, this is an easy opportunity to laugh about it.

Everyone wins!

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    March 10, 2014 6:21 a.m.

I'll say it again. Whether or not you choose to go see the play, you don't have to fear it.
    The Church has elected to buy ad space in their programs. I think that the leaders are able to see the big picture.

I, for one, am glad that a couple of non-members decided to write a musical about the Book of Mormon. I have faith that God's work can happen in even the oddest places. But then Jesus was never afraid to hang out with "those who need a physician."

• sharrona layton, UT
    March 9, 2014 8:27 p.m.

RE:iron&clay, From the Book of Mormon, “ And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.”(Mosiah 3:7), Not the Bible.

Because many early and better Greek mss and diverse and widespread witnesses exclude (Luke 22:43-44). Footnotes in (NIV,NKJV,ESV). Added in the 5th century.JS was unaware

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    March 9, 2014 8:17 p.m.

For the record. I'm not outraged. I'm not offended. I'm not surprised. I'm not even complaining.

But I believe in seeking things which are "virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy".
    Likewise, I believe it is usually best to avoid things which are not.

It seems more like the one's accusing people of being overly sensitive... are the real one's being overly sensitive. Now that's something...

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    March 9, 2014 6:22 p.m.

@ ironmania - "I plan to take our Mia Maids and teachers for a combined youth activity to go see this when it comes to San Diego in a few months. Should be a great faith-building mutual night."

ironmania -

I sure hope you're kidding.

If not, if you were my kid's leader, I'd A) talk to you one on one about why this is a bad idea. No one, repeat, no one "has to" eat garbage to know that eating garbage will make them sick B) if that didn't work, I'd keep my kid home home from Mutual that night. C) if you ended up taking other peoples' children to this play in the capcity of a Young Men's/Women's leader, I'd talk to the Bishop of the ward and ask to have you immediately removed from your calling. Why? Because if anyone consciously damaged the very teenagers they have taken a covenant to help strengthen and lift, they have proven they are incapable of lifting/strengthening others because, spiritually speaking, they cannot even take care of themselves. You can't share what you don't have.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    March 9, 2014 5:59 p.m.

Prediction:

Some LDS members will go and see the play and allow it, and subsequent searching of things OTHER than in the Book of Mormon itself, to weaken their testimony and even leave the LDS church.

So be it.

Others will see it and become converted to the LDS faith as they begin to honestly seek God in their lives and will come to see for themselves that the Book of Mormon is indeed the very word of God.

In terms of how the LDS church has responded to this offensive play, the following quote comes to mind:

"The ability to turn everything into something good appears to be a godly characteristic. Our Heavenly Father always seems able to do this. Everything, no matter how dire, becomes a victory to the Lord. Joseph, although a slave and wholly undeserving of this fate, nevertheless remained faithful to the Lord and continued to live the commandments and made something very good of his degrading circumstances. People like this CANNOT be defeated," - Harmann Rector, Jr.

Keep the faith!

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 9, 2014 1:01 p.m.

I will go "The Quran, the Musial." I can't wait for that one.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    March 9, 2014 9:47 a.m.

Why would anyone, who does not swear or associate with the foul mouthed want to pay hard earned money to see and hear a play that is exceptionally vulgar, vile, mocking and demeaning? Surely higher personal values prevail?

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2014 9:42 a.m.

@ Utefan4Lyf

You wrote: "Actually the play is very good and the music is amazing."

No, Utefan4, the play is NOT "good" and the music is NOT "amazing." "Good" and "amazing" include Shakespeare plays, anything by Rodgers and Hammerstein, Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky symphonies, Bach cantatas, Art Tatum, Izhak Perlman, Puccini operas, etc.

Here's a guide from the promoter of the play's source material: "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    March 9, 2014 8:12 a.m.

>>When they sing, "this book will change your life," and all the missionary actors hold genuine copies of the Book for Mormon high, I get chills.

While I appreciate my fellow members' optimism, saying "yes, it has vulgar moments but it has really good moments too" is like saying that it's okay to sit in mud because there are a few pretty rocks amid the filth. I prefer not to spend a few hundred dollars -- which goes into the pockets of people who mock the gospel I hold dear -- and subject myself to a river of vulgarity in the hope that I might find a few good moments in my evening entertainment. There are better, more spiritually uplifting things on which I can spend my time and money.

Remember: "...that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness."

• common sense in Idaho Pocatello, id
    March 9, 2014 6:06 a.m.

I won't be seeing the play. If I want to hear vulgar talk and unlimited profanity I can just go to work.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    March 8, 2014 10:15 p.m.

I disagree with the naysayers on this musical.

Have any of you watched/listened to the songs on the internet? Great music and I, for one, think that you can't speak truth, even in jest, without it having an impact.

Imagine, copies of scripture being used as stage props. The Lord indeed works in strange and mighty ways His wonders to perform...even if that "performance" is a bit different than we expect.

Several of our non-member friends have seen this and they love it, asking questions afterward.

What's more, since musical songs frequently make their way into public school music competitions, it won't be long before kids all over America will be singing about the Book of Mormon.

I have faith in God's plan and no doubt that all of this will help to "hasten the work."

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 8, 2014 7:37 p.m.

Maybe some Grandma will buy out all the tickets and leave the house empty for the entire run.

:-)

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    March 8, 2014 6:28 p.m.

I'm wondering if this play has helped or hurt the church more. I'm guessing helped....

• endoftimes Vernal, UT
    March 8, 2014 5:55 p.m.

I am not going to see it, but to Carman and others....lighten up.

• J.D. Aurora, CO
    March 8, 2014 4:10 p.m.

There are so many former members and members who attend but don't really believe that I would not be suprised if they extend it several days. You can rest assured It will do very well in SLC...

• J.D. Aurora, CO
    March 8, 2014 4:04 p.m.

I also agree with SAMom.

"The book is always better!!"

I have read the book and seen the play. I got a much bigger laugh from the book than I did the play. Although the play was really funny too.

• cambodia girl Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    March 8, 2014 3:39 p.m.

I am surprised that members of the church would go see such a thing. When I was young I learned the articles of faith and my favorite one was #13. "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." Are members above following their own religious commitments? I would hope your money would be used to support a missionary, clothe the naked and feed the hungry. We must be found in Holy Places (as we teach the youth of the church). I don't know how I could ever tell my children that the promises I made at baptism didn't matter when I wanted to see or listen to something that was not in keeping with the covenants I had made. Being two faced about the gospel is something they wouldn't understand.

• Canadiandy Alberta, CA
    March 8, 2014 3:35 p.m.

Hmmm,

Magic Arts and Entertainment may bring in some revenue on performance night, but I wonder how many LDS patrons are rethinking future attendance. Not a very wise marketing idea.

Watch future patrons magically disappear.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    March 8, 2014 2:40 p.m.

It's a play, people. If you want to see it, buy a ticket and enjoy. If you don't want to see it, then don't buy a ticket. Pretty simple. Why the hand-wringing and histrionics?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    March 8, 2014 1:18 p.m.

blue angel: the creatures glorified murders, sex with animals and flipping of GOD.

You are absolutely right, the play has too many adverse critics to be acceptable to good people. You people who want your youth to see it need council from your Preisthood Advisors in the worst way. To expoose your minds to such filth and abuse of your religion will bring sadness to yourt souls forever. Try to erase it once youy let it in. Think twice and pray about a rash decision like this. Are you on Gods left or right side in the Kingdom. There is going to be a separation you know. Read Psalm 50: v 2-6 and pray about it.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 8, 2014 12:22 p.m.

I was going to try to see this in New York. It will be more convenient when it comes here.

• jeanie orem, UT
    March 8, 2014 10:24 a.m.

Jimmythliberal,

So, what exactly at are you trying to say? Living in Salt Lake City is hysterical and you're excited to be here? And not sure what Chris B. "tried"......

I hope those who love this musical can enjoy the run here in Utah. And those that constantly speak about how Mormons are intolerant can have at least one counter example of that idea.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2014 10:22 a.m.

I'm looking forward to it!

• trekker Salt Lake, UT
    March 8, 2014 10:21 a.m.

i won't see it. Why endorse something that mocks others beliefs and is vulgar?

• Reflectere Utah, UT
    March 8, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Just another reflection amongst the entertainment industry of how degenerate our society is becoming

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2014 2:17 a.m.

Absolutely hysterical. Can't wait to see. Even better. Try living in Salt Lake City. Nice try Mr. Chris B!

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    March 7, 2014 9:51 p.m.

Breakfast of Champions,

If you knew the details of the episode you're trying to teach me about, you'd know all about the story in the New York Times I reference here right?

New York Times
    After Warning, South Park Episode is Altered
    April 22, 2010

You may try and say "it was still offensive to muslims" but why was there a need to "alter" it in the first place?

Can't they take a joke just like Mormons are told to take a joke?

If you knew anything you'd know all about this right? After all, you're the one who told me "if you know anything"

I'm just glad the Mormons have been 100% peaceful and non-violent in their opposition to this musical, month after month after month after month of it being performed.

Thanks Mormons - you are a great example to many

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 7, 2014 9:26 p.m.

Gosh, anti-mormons allowed to do this play in Salt Lake.

• Summer Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 9:18 p.m.

@Utes Fan

"Spend $200 on a show that mocks the Mormon faith in Africa. Laugh hysterically about those "naive" Mormons.

Meanwhile...
    In the past seven years, more than four million Africans in 17 countries have gained access to clean drinking water through Mormon humanitarian efforts to sink or rehabilitate boreholes."
    ------------

Agreed. Who is really naive?

@LDSareChristians
    "$200 really? People spent that much for R rated trash? Now I have to laugh at them....."

-------------
    I don't know what the prices in Salt Lake will be, but I just checked the broadway ticket prices on their web site. Here are the astounding prices:

Orchestra

Mid Premium (Orchestra)
    Face Value: $252.00 Fees: $88.20
    $340.20

Premium
    Face Value: $352.00 Fees: $123.20
    $475.20

I would bet that the money from this play over the years could have brought tens of thousands of impoverished Africans all kinds of help. And many will come back from the play complaining about LD$ Inc.

Yea, we LDS are naive (rolls eyes).

• Piper Scio, OR
    March 7, 2014 9:15 p.m.

In a bizarre way none of us saw coming, President Benson was spot-on said in the October, 1988 conference, "The time is long overdue for a massive flooding of the earth with the Book of Mormon for the many reasons which the Lord has given. In this age of the electronic media and the mass distribution of the printed word, God will hold us accountable."

He was right. By small and simple things are great things accomplished. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    March 7, 2014 7:47 p.m.

It was just here in Durham…. neighbors went - invited us be we had other obligations. They said the language was rough in parts, but that the depiction of the missionaries was never crude, had them do anything they would not expect to see LDS missionaries say or do…. overall a positive towards missionaries. They are non-lds, and came away feeling good about their neighbors faith…

So who knows….. if you haven't seen it…. I would probably reframe from criticizing what you don't' know. I know for some that is a very challenging task.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    March 7, 2014 7:36 p.m.

I have been a lifelong patron of Capitol Theatre...

They just lost my business!

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    March 7, 2014 6:38 p.m.

ChrisB posted: However, I do dislike the double standard that it seems ok to laugh at the Mormons and yet these same people wouldnt think of doing a similar satire on the Quran and the Muslims.
    ===============
    Even more so, would such have the guts to perform at Islamic Headquarters?

Ironmania posted: I plan to take our Mia Maids and teachers for a combined youth activity to go see this when it comes to San Diego in a few months. Should be a great faith-building mutual night.
    ================================
    I hope not, it's an R rated production.

Utes Fan posted: Spend $200 on a show that mocks the Mormon faith in Africa. Laugh hysterically about those "naive" Mormons.
    =========================

• Breakfast of Champions Provo, UT
    March 7, 2014 5:05 p.m.

Actually Chris B, if you knew anything about Matt Parker and Trey Stone then you would know that they agree with you and tried to make that same point on their show South Park back in 2010 when they satirized issues about depicting Muhammad.

I for one am undecided about if I want to see the show or not. I enjoy a good laugh (especially when it's at my own expense), but when it comes to things that are as personal to people as religion can be, something just doesn't feel quite right. That goes for all religions, not just Mormonism.

• Happy Liberal Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 5:03 p.m.

Hooray! Love it! I saw it in the Big Apple and can't wait to see it again!

• md Cache, UT
    March 7, 2014 4:56 p.m.

I agree with Chris B... "The Quran, Muhammed's Musical" would incite riots.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 4:40 p.m.

jpc53,

Of course a satire about muslims wouldnt sell, because making fun of Muslims isn't PC. Thanks for helping prove my point.

There is nothing inherently funny about the Mormons that you couldnt find equally funny things about a great number of religions, including Islam.

If you aren't aware of the countless quirks of Islam that could be included in a satirical play, go read up.

Thanks again for helping prove my point!

• blue angel American Fork, UT
    March 7, 2014 4:36 p.m.

I saw this play on broadway thinking it would be okay -- boy was I wrong!!! this was one of the worst plays I have EVER seen... It wasn't because of the Mormon teasing, or language... it was more of the fact that the creatures glorified murders, sex with animals and flipping of GOD... don't go to this play... HORRIBLE PLAY. What made me even more sick was that we as a society think this is ok and funny...

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    March 7, 2014 4:22 p.m.

For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so,...righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness or misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body, it must remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.*

*From the Book of Mormon... THE book not the play.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 4:15 p.m.

Meanwhile...

More than 34,000 physically handicapped African kids now have wheelchairs through the same Mormon-sponsored humanitarian program.

More than 126,000 Africans have had their sight restored or improved through Mormon partnership with African eye care professionals.

During the flooding in Africa, the Church provided clothing, quilts and hygiene items to 20,000 people in six inundated regions of the country.

Another 52,000 Africans have been trained to help newborns who otherwise would never take a first breath. Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for Mormons in Africa.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    March 7, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Wookie, if only it was just laughing at yourself. It is Vulgarity on steroids. Really, I would avoid it if you are LDS not just because of the ridicule of sacred things, but to avoid such vulgar language and innuendo. I love LDS comedy, I can totally laugh at myself but this is not that.

• ironmania San Diego, CA
    March 7, 2014 4:10 p.m.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    March 7, 2014 4:08 p.m.

The entire 'baptize me' number is just outright lewd. I invite anyone to look it up on YouTube and see if they still think this musical is simply a delightful comedy that's perfectly acceptable. One can wink and smile, and say it is all in good fun, but frankly it should be viewed as an affront to any Christian who truly believes in their heart what they say out of their mouth.

It is healthy to laugh at the idiosyncrasies of one's own culture and community, whether you are a Minnesota Lutheran, or a Southern Baptist. But if one truly is devout in their faith, they should re-think laughing at someone else's profane and lewd interpretation of it.

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 7, 2014 3:59 p.m.

To all of those that have responded chill out. This is a satire and if we can't laugh at ourselves then we have no right to laugh at anyone else. Of course it could mean that those that are against it are not that comfortable in their faith.
    As for @Chris B, I don't think a musical about the Muslims would sell which is why you won't be seeing one in the near future.

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 7, 2014 3:46 p.m.

I saw the musical -- as a Mormon. Sure, it is vulgar at times. Sure, it ridicules things we hold dear. But it also depicts things we can well relate too and should reflect on: naive missionaries facing another world, the harshness of people's misery in some regions, and a fiercely funny critique of some or our trivial obsessions.

We need to look at the positive sides too. One, the musical gave an enormous boost to Mormon visibility. Second, ironically, one must be taken serious to deserve such attention. Third, above all, it gave the Church an incredible chance to show its wisdom, tolerance, and good humor. No protests, but kind and witty responses. With full-page ads in the musical's program. "The book is always better than the show." Congrats to the genius of our PR.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    March 7, 2014 3:37 p.m.

I am not aware of what this is about but I plan on going. I can laugh at myself, which has proven to be often and needed. Having a sense of humor and not taking things personally is healthy and advised.

Go LDS!!

• Utefan4Lyf West Jordan, UT
    March 7, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Actually the play is very good and the music is amazing. That being said, the play is a constant barrage of comments about the Mormon religion; however, the overall theme of the play is one in which all LDS people should appreciate. It's about following your faith despite doubts and bad situations, to become a stronger person.
    Now, do I think everybody should go and see it? Absolutely not. It's vulgar and sarcastic. But it is truly hilarious.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 7, 2014 3:12 p.m.

I agree with SAMom...

... Except for Jurassic Park. I thought that had a much better movie.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    March 7, 2014 2:56 p.m.

If the municipal court in Nauvoo could declare the Nauvoo Expositor a public nuisance, can't this play be discouraged? Of course not ... the best response is to ignore it. I can only assume that the production will lose money at this venue. Must have some pretty good music to merit a Tony award.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    March 7, 2014 2:47 p.m.

The young men who wrote this play probably have no idea that they were being used by an evil power to create something that attempts to inflict embarrassment and pain on God's church. We ought to forgive them and turn the other cheek.

This attack on God will meet the same demise as all of the others that have come over the centuries. It has risen up and is popular, but it will, as all evil eventually does, fall into the vast emptiness of anonymity.

• jliddle Dayton, NV
    March 7, 2014 2:38 p.m.

Since the Church is buying space in the playbill, maybe I'll go see it after all. I often enjoy productions sponsored by the Church.

• Filthy Kuffar Spanish Fork, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:23 p.m.

I can't wait not to see it!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:19 p.m.

I'm not even Mormon, and although I'm perfectly fine with productions that make fun of religions(and yes, this musical makes fun of the mormon faith), I'm just tired of the double standard. Can you imagine them doing such a production on the Quran?

When do you think we can anticipate that musical?

And I wonder if the response will be the same as it has been from the Mormons(disappointment and opposition but always peaceful and not agressive)?

Thanks Mormons for being calm and peaceful in your opposition to such things.

I look forward to seeing the production and future productions in the future of other religions(ya right).

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:18 p.m.

I will likely see this.

And I'm not even Mormon!

I am very appreciate and impressed with the Mormons response to this production. Its clear many mormons dont like the idea of the production and putting sacred things to them in a comical play, but Mormons express their displeasure very calmly and politely.

Thanks Mormons for your response to this. Hopefully this hypocritical double standard will go away some day

• SAMom Ladson, SC
    March 7, 2014 2:14 p.m.

The book is always better!

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:04 p.m.

A waste of our national resources...

We would be better off if the people involved were making hamburgers at the local fast food restaurant. This not only doesn't add value, it is a net negative.

• get her done Bountiful, UT