Sports

Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advised to keep on chopping

Comments

• Protecting This House Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:36 p.m.

Coach K is here to stay. He won't leave until the Utes are heading back to the Dance consistently - and they are knocking on the door. Much to the dismay of cougar faithful.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 5, 2014 12:33 p.m.

I think Coach KW will probably be forced out as early as next year because he will not have been successful in the "rebuilding" required to step up to elite status within the PAC-12. If KW can't "turn the program around" in what will have been four years, how long can he survive?

While I don't see U football every becoming first tier in the PAC, basketball, being an indoor game--and able to draw my California boys: Billy, Andre, and Delon--just might get back to national prominence. That is, IF Coach Krysto sticks around!

Coach Krysto has done an outstanding job, so Ute fans should be concerned.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 5, 2014 10:07 a.m.

Coach K isn't going anywhere anytime soon, although I do hear rose is being courted by USF/USD. Any truth to it?

byu fans on here would love to see Coach K move on, not unlike their wish to see Coach KW gone. They understand their teams will likely never beat either of ours ever again, so long as these two are at the helm!

• AZ Ute Scottsdale, AZ
    March 5, 2014 8:49 a.m.

.500 in conference does not a turnaround make....yet. But certainly on the right track. I predict K will talk Delon into staying for his senior season, post a winning record in conference, make the dance, make the Sweet 16, then bolt.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 4, 2014 5:13 p.m.

When your name is Ute Buster, of course you can't.

I see coack K sticking around; like Crabbers stated; he's got a pretty good gig in Utah.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    March 4, 2014 4:50 p.m.

USC would be a good fit for him and more money. Not sure about OSU. Can't blame him if he wanted to jump ship.

• Reasonable thinker Seattle, WA
    March 4, 2014 4:49 p.m.

I have heard the same rumors up north so there may be something to it.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    March 4, 2014 1:33 p.m.

Dibs, USC's coach hasn't even finished his first year. He inherited a mess with a school that has no basketball history. I doubt very much they are courting anyone. Who's courting Rose?

• red.diehard Central, UT
    March 4, 2014 12:45 p.m.

Really, there must be something else to comment on. Utah is a better bball destination than either of those schools and the Utes will pay what it takes.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 4, 2014 12:31 p.m.

Never say never, but I think Coach K will stick around a while. He's got a good situation here and is doing a good job. I don't think money will take him away, because Chris Hill will probably match any offer he gets. I also think he likes the family atmosphere of things here in Utah. He's got 5 kids of his own and they are at ages when it is tough to uproot them.

• Crabbers SLC, UT
    March 4, 2014 10:48 a.m.

@ Dibs
    I hadn't heard those rumors, but personally I'm not too worried about those. I don't think Coach K will leave for another college team. Utah is a top 20 all-time basketball program (still, despite a decade of awfulness), so the only schools that are a bigger draw are top 10 programs, and all of them seem to be content with their coaches right now. As for OSU or USC, why go through all of the hassle of another rebuild? Now, if an NBA squad starts calling, I'll be concerned. I can't imagine that he'd pass up an opportunity to take another crack at the NBA.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    March 4, 2014 10:12 a.m.

@ Dibs
    I have not heard of any particular rumors, but that has to be a concern.
    He turned around a struggling program and with a young roster is withing 20 points of leading the conference.
    I hate to say it but the NBA and other college programs are going to be calling.

• Dibs Alpine, UT
    March 4, 2014 1:12 a.m.

Anyone else heard of rumors about coach K being courted by Oregon State and USC?