Utah

LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden after being hit by car

Comments

• Westra Aros VÄsterÅs, 00
    March 4, 2014 12:00 p.m.

Continuing translated article

A flower bouquet and a portrait of Mason Bailey stood at the front of the hall.
    -We are open to our members and to the persons Maison Bailey came in contact with. It can be difficult to be alone in such a moment, says Roger Pettersson, branch president of the Assembly (equivalent to a priest in the Swedish Church, editor's note) .

19 year old and another missionary was on his way home to his apartment in Hammarby when the accident occurred. Earlier in the day had Mason Bailey held its first baptism in Sweden.
    - His last day alive was a nice day with a lot of warmth. He was so happy and reverent after baptism. And so it happens here, it's unbelievable, says Thomas Otnes.
    Mason Bailey's relatives received news of the death on Sunday night.

The missionary who survived were shocked difficult and is now cared for by Assembly supreme leader.

Continuing posts

• Westra Aros VÄsterÅs, 00
    March 4, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Another article translated (with google translate and some changes of me).
    19 -year-old Mason killed in accident

It was 19 -year-old Mason Bailey who was hit by 21 -year-old who now is suspected of manslaughter.
    Mason Bailey was based in Utah, USA, and did missionary work for the Mormon Church. He came to Vasteras seven months ago.
    - We are of course saddened by what has happened and we wish he got to be left on earth. But our sadness is not depressed , we believe in eternal life and now he may continue to operate on the other side with our Heavenly Father, says Thomas Otnes, executive secretary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Västerås.

On Monday, the Assembly held open house shocked and saddened members. A dozen people had flocked to church on Ringduvegatan.

(The article continues in another post).

• Admiring Gentile Salt Lake City, UT
    March 4, 2014 8:31 a.m.

How heartbreaking. What got me the most was the smile this boy had in all his photos. You can't fake a smile like that. It came directly from his spirit.

As a non-Mormon, I can well understand why any family would want their daughter to bring home a boy like this. They'd know in an instant that he'd always treat her with respect and caring.

I hope his family gets comfort in their church's teaching that they'll all be together again someday. And that there was a reason for this "interruption."

Of course they'll miss him deeply though. I never even met him, and I miss him too.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    March 3, 2014 6:27 p.m.

Mason was a wonderful young man. He will be deeply missed.
    The Lord had a longer mission in mind for him.
    From the South end of the Valley, we all offer our prayers and support to his family.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    March 3, 2014 5:44 p.m.

Thank you Westra Aros, for your translation, and my condolences go to the family of this fine elder. May the Spirit comfort you in this trying time.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    March 3, 2014 4:54 p.m.

So very sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you for His comfort and peace.

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2014 4:10 p.m.

Thank you to Westra Aros for translating the article about the accident. I was grateful to hear that the Swedish authorities are investigating this to find out what happened and that if the perpetrator was driving recklessly or under the influence he will be prosecuted. While it doesn't bring the elder back maybe the family will find comfort in knowing this situation is being taken seriously in Sweden and that they are trying to investigate so justice can be served. It is horrible no matter the circumstances behind what happened. My condolences to the family and friends of Elder Bailey. My nephew is currently serving in Sweden and when I saw the headline my heart was in my throat. It could easily happen to anyone anywhere. My parents are in the Cook Islands right now. I know they are happy and if something were to happen, I would feel horrible but I know they are where they want to be and are happy. They could have an accident here in Utah just as easily. I definitely want them home safely but I am grateful for their service.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    March 3, 2014 12:51 p.m.

We need to pray for the protection of all our missionaries on a daily basis, and pray for their families as well. The struggle for the souls of Heavenly Father's children is a life and death fight with Satan. He rejoices when one is removed from this mortal sphere, but this turns to frustration when these faithful Elders or Sister Missionaries lift their voices of testimony is the Spirit World.

• Capt Moroni Perris, CA
    March 3, 2014 12:12 p.m.

My love and prayers to Elder Baily's family. He is home with his Heavenly Father. He will be waiting for you when you go Home.

• babyR Salt Lake, UT
    March 3, 2014 10:26 a.m.

I'm deeply saddened when I read that any missionary is injured or killed in the Mission field. That being said, if it were my son I can't think of a better place in which to meet one's Maker. Hopefully the family of the missionary in Sweden will see it this way also. I have two grandsons and one granddaughter in the mission field presently and while I pray daily for their safety, I know that they are in the Lord's service and therefore in His hands.
    May God bless His missionaries and their families with His eternal wisdom and strength to carry on!

• theidma New York City, NY
    March 3, 2014 10:23 a.m.

So sad. Sending prayers and well wishes to his family. In everything, we still give thanks to Heavenly Father.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    March 3, 2014 10:23 a.m.

However, despite the fact of this being terribly sad news, I believe that the Church should always report when any kind of devastating accident befalls any missionary serving in the field, for 2 reasons. First, to provide what I call, full disclosure. Too many people are under the delusion that missions and missionaries are always safe and protected by the Lord from dangers like this. Secondly, to give all of us the truth that whenever and wherever people serve, that we must all be highly aware of any situation where we might encounter the dangerous actions of others.

I was nearly slammed into by a turning car while riding my bike bike during my mission in Michigan, and my son narrowly escaped death when a truck in Cambodia lost it's entire rear axel and flew between both he and his companion on the dirt-road "highway" where they were walking. Things like this happen. Remember that death is a part of life. But it is still tragic whenever it happens.

• Westra Aros VÄsterÅs, 00
    March 3, 2014 9:45 a.m.

19 year old man hit by car died.

It was an 19 year old man that was hit by an car in the junction of Narva Road and Hammarbacks Road. His life couldnt be saved.

The 19 year old who belongs in the United States, was temporarily in Sweden.
    - We have contacted including Interpol for them to help with the news of the death, said Jan Lundquist, head of the police traffic investigations.

The 21 year old man who drove the car has been arrested on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter and reckless driving.
    - There can be question of a felony, but we are awaiting the results from the preliminary investigations.

Was he under the influence of something?
    - We have taken the usual tests on the driver, but we havent got the answers yet.

What he has said in the hearings?
    - He's been very tight lipped, if I say so. But we're supposed to hear him again.
    During the day, the police will investigate the site where the fatal accident occurred.
    - Investigative work is now continuing with questioning of the suspect and witnesses.
    At Wednesday, 5 February at 12:00 the prosecutor has to decide whether the man should be held in custody.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    March 3, 2014 9:39 a.m.

Wow, how sad.

My oldest son just returned last July from a mission to the East coast. The more I become aware of these kinds of events the more I am grateful to the Lord for returning him safe to me.

As the number of missionaries continues to increase (and it will keep increasing) we can expect to, unfortunately, read more of these types of events.

However!.....we should never flinch in our resolve to continue the Lord's work, no matter the cost. When it is our time to come home, the Lord calls us home. Fretting about "when" will not do anyone any good.

God bless this valiant missionary for his service and God bless his family and friends. Through the love and power of our Heavenly Father and our Almighty Savior, you will see him again.

• Danclrksvll Erin, TN
    March 3, 2014 9:30 a.m.

May God give Elder Bailey rest and peace, and comfort his family.

• Westra Aros VÄsterÅs, 00
    March 3, 2014 9:21 a.m.

Hi all,
    I live in Sweden in the city of Vasteras, where the accident happened.
    I believe that there are many of you who are interested in of how this happened and so.
    Im trying to link to the local paper but it doesnt seem to work.
    I can translate the article for you.
    I will make another post with the translation of the article.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    March 3, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Hopefully this sort of news will never be commonplace. God bless his family.

• SKT Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 3, 2014 7:50 a.m.

My son and this young man went out the same day to Sweden to begin their missions and were good friends. I'm sure they are all having a hard time. My heart goes out to this young mans family, and the missionaries who are there. God bless

• Swedish reader Stockholm, Sweden
    March 3, 2014 7:15 a.m.

When I heard of this tragic accident this morning, there were no reports in Swedish newspapers. There are now. We are all praying for ELder Bailey's family.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    March 3, 2014 5:43 a.m.

I am very sorry. May God bless and comfort his family.

• Swedish reader Stockholm, Sweden
    March 3, 2014 1:53 a.m.

Sadly, I find nothing about this in Swedish newspapers. (They are full of the Ukrainian situation, however.) My heart goes out to the family of this elder.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 2, 2014 11:26 p.m.

What a sad story. Sweden is such a safe place, I was a missionary there 20 years ago. Best wishes to his family and loved ones.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    March 2, 2014 11:24 p.m.

Everyone with a loved one on a mission cringes with sadness when they read these stories.