Comments about ‘Two LDS missionaries heading home after family dies from CO poisoning’

Return to article »

Published: Monday, Feb. 24 2014 4:55 p.m. MST

  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
Twin Lights
Louisville, KY

God bless these missionaries and the extended family. May they have peace.

Provo, UT

My heart goes out to them. I remember when I served in the Bolivia - La Paz mission from
1980-1982 we had a missionary that died from affixiation from a propane gas leak.

Provo, UT

This is very sad indeed.

Why is it news that the 2 children missionaries would go home following the death of a family member?

Family is most important.


@ Lovely Deseret: There is a prevention - CO detectors are sold in many different stores and are easily installed. Unfortunately, most of us don't think this will ever happen to us and so don't invest in preventative technology. We also erroneously think that new(er) appliances in good working order are safe - unfortunately, too many appliances running at one time in a tightly sealed home can deplete oxygen levels and allow CO levels to rise to the danger point.

@ JulesVerne2000: There are some smoke detectors that have CO detectors in them. The draw back is that there are no smoke alarms that have both ionization and photoelectric technologies and contain a CO detector - so for an ideal situation you would still end up with a minimum of two alarms in each relevant area.

Some spikes in CO can be handled by the human body - it is steady high levels or increasingly high levels that are the biggest danger.

@ Jamescmeyer: It is not just gas appliances that are a problem. Any fuel burning system - gas, oil, wood, coal, charcoal - can create excessive CO. Generators used during power failures can also create excessive CO.

Mount Pleasant, UT

This story brought so many tears and much hope for these two young family members. I can't imagine the terrible loss they are going through. I pray the Lord's choicest blessing of peace, comfort and love will be with them and their extended family members. What a heartbreaking family tragedy...oh my goodness

Lees Summit, MO

This is so, so sad. I've had two missionary sons, who for more than a year, served at the same time. I have another son preparing to leave. Once a Missionary Mom, always a Missionary Mom. Any sad story of a missionary, tugs at my heart. As someone else already said, you worry about those who are serving the mission, but not the family at home. I can't imagine the sorrow and the mixture of so many other emotions, that these two siblings are feeling right now. What a tragic thing to come home to.
May God bless them both with His love and comfort, and may they feel the prayers that so many will be offering in their behalf.

Vincentown, NJ

On Day Light Savings Days in the fall and spring we are encouraged to change or test the batteries on our smoke detectors. Let's include carbon monoxide detectors. Awareness!!!

Saint David, AZ

My heart can't even image the heaviness in the hearts of these two beautiful children/missionaries. I thought to share some lyrics from a song I have always loved entitled "You'll never walk alone." I am praying that you will feel the "HOPE".

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Farid @ Pocatello
Pocatello, ID

The Parrish family is one of the most well known families in Pocatello/Chubbuck. Their kindness and graciousness have touched so many.

Ten years ago, my daughter was trying to earn enough money to travel with a group to our Sister City in Japan. We came up well short and my daughter was so upset that she wasn't going to go.

Then on the last day of the drive, an envelope showed up at our house with $500 in it that covered not only the trip but expenses as well. A neighbor saw Sis. Parrish tape it to our door the night before.

The town is still in a state of shock.

eileen shaw
Fiji, 00

Our thought and prayers are with the Parrish and Curtis family, may you all continue to feel the love and peace that is offered so freely to each of us and especially to you all in this difficult time of your lives. To Elder Ian Parrish and Sister Jensen Parrish may you continue the beautiful work that the Lord has blessed you both with and may the atonement of our Savior mean more to you both now then it ever did. Know that you are being remembered in the isles of the sea - Fiji. our love and prayers always - Shaws Fiji

Danville, CA

I am so sorry. But I am so grateful that this faithful young brother and sister still have each other here and that are grounded in the gospel to know, without a doubt, that their family will be greeting them when they arrive on the other side. Years ago, my husband's cousin' wife and baby daughter died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. it is tragic, and I know God will strengthen them and help them.

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments