Sports

Commentary: How much did Hoffman's combine performance hurt his draft stock?

Comments

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 3:17 p.m.

I think this shows BYU does more with less.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:38 p.m.

Then again, the Raiders might just take Hoffman in the first round. Wait Al Davis is no longer around, never mind.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:37 p.m.

One of the poll question options was "show some faith, first or second round" and it still got some votes. Not much mind you (close to 2 percent). But still, come on man.

Hoffman could be a free agent signee but I think there will be a team that sees his intangibles in the 6th or 7th round.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 6:39 p.m.

Todd Watkins 2.0

• 61Cougar Seattle, Wa
    Feb. 25, 2014 4:39 p.m.

Drafted, not drafted--whatever. Draft status has less to do with success at the next level than a player's heart, smarts, and desire to do what it takes.

The two receivers who caught touchdown passes for Seattle in the Superbowl were both undrafted free agents.

I believe Cody Hoffman has the talent to play in the NFL. If it's something he's willing to work for, he just needs to get on a training camp roster--regardless of which path that takes.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:43 a.m.

My broad jump was actually pretty decent, but I never had a great vertical leap. However, put me in a game where I was moving and not thinking about it, and I could jump pretty high.

That's the problem with some of these combine activities. Yes, they do have a good track record of picking NFL quality guys, so I'm not saying they should be thrown out. However, there are some who just don't perform well in such environments but still make great players. Some one mentioned Jerry Rice. I'll even throw out Ty Detmer (although he was never a good NFL QB). I've heard of Detmer that he looked awful in practice. He certainly didn't look awful in most of the games he played.

If Hoffman can show he can run precise routes and catch everything thrown his way, he'll get a job in the NFL. Yes, there are a lot of guys with blazing speed who stretch defenses; but teams need "possession" receivers too.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:36 a.m.

What a total bust. Good thing the Jazz aren’t making the mistake of drafting him. He's probably headed over to Europe or maybe Turkey to play ball now. He doesn't have the talent or athleticism to play in the NFL.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:30 a.m.

I've never seen a football player perform a standing broad jump in a game. Same thing with jumping from a standing start to see how high you can jump.

Hoffman is good, there is no doubt. He can run good routes and catch the ball. Far better talents than the standing broad jumb and standing high jump.

We've always known that Hoffman was slow. So what?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:16 p.m.

Rational
    Salt Lake City, UT

"If a Professor did such a poor job preparing students for the workplace, they'd get fired."

Nice analogy. I've got a better one for you.

If one coach wins ball games but doesn't get his players drafted, and the other coach gets his players drafted but keeps losing ball games, which one is in danger of being fired?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:12 p.m.

This actually surprises me.
    As a Ute fan I have zero reason to wish any ill will on Hoffman, quite the opposite in fact, I hope he finds success in the NFL. I really thought we'd see him drafted somewhere around the third or fourth round, but now it looks like he'll go undrafted and have to prove himself as a free agent. Not like it hasn't been done though. Good luck to Cody.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:42 p.m.

Hoffman, Manualema nor Van Noy will be drafted on the first day.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:28 p.m.

Collie had poor combine numbers too. With BYU receivers I don't think it means much. Good hands and good routes will get you farther than Darius Heyward-Bey type combine numbers.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:24 p.m.

I think Cody's weakness has been getting good separation. That is a function of overall speed, physicality at the line of scrimmage, and precision of routes. Cody runs nice routes but his ability to shed a bumping corner and his speed are wanting. I think he is very strong at catching the ball, and running after the catch. I also think he is a pretty good blocker.

I think his Combine numbers will seriously hurt him. But if they look at his intangibles and total body of work, he deserves to be drafted. I predict free agency, even though I definitely think he deserves to be drafted.

• ClarkeinAK Anchorage, AK
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:02 p.m.

He's toast...won't be drafted...his only hope is as a walk-on with someone giving him a chance. The NFL is numbers-crazy and, if you don't have the numbers they expect, they are nervous about investing.

Look at Johnny Football - he's under 6 ft tall, so he's not given the consideration he would if he were 4 inches taller...despite a Heisman under his belt. Hoffman, with crappy times in the numbers that the numbers, won't get a sniff now.

• longtime fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 5:30 p.m.

If Hoffman gets a decent chance on the field, he will perform. Some players are better competing on the field than they are at running drills. The great Jerry Rice was one of the slowest wide outs on the 9ers,but when he lined up against speedier DBs, you knew he would beat them. If Cody Hoffman is able to show what he can do in game situations, his QB and coaches will learn quickly that he can get open against anyone, and he can catch anything near him.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 4:12 p.m.

I can see some value in measuring "true height" by combining height with vertical jump, but if NFL coaches were betting on who would grab a rebound in basketball, or a sideline catch in football, would they pick a 6'5" guy with a 25 inch vertical, or Spud Webb? The tall guy is more likely to grab the rebound because he doesn't need to climb as high and his bigger body is going to provide cover...

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 4:05 p.m.

He'll be all pro in his second year.

Guaranteed.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 3:55 p.m.

Marcus Colston was a 7th round draft pick by the Saints. He is now the all time leading receiver to the saints. Does not have blazing speed tall and catches everything. Correct me if I am wrong but that sounds alot like Cody. I am not saying that he will be a hall of famer by any means but I think he has potential to be a great receiver in the NFL.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 24, 2014 3:41 p.m.

I have no problem with the banter (and even obsession or hatred from some) that goes back and forth between Utes and Cougs about the football team or basketball team collectively. But I have no respect for someone who takes shots and wishes ill will on individual players, and that includes the Coug faithful who are also taking shots at Murphy's poor combine performance on the Ute page.

It's embarrassing not to know how to spell embarrassing.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 3:35 p.m.

Cody will never play in the NFL at wide out unless he can run at least 4.5 in the 40.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 3:28 p.m.

Still prolly #1 in my mind.

• SportsFann Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 3:05 p.m.

I'm a BYU fan, but I have never thought Hoffman was that great. This doesn't surprise me at all.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 2:53 p.m.

All these measurements are just fluff-filler for sports stories. Just a way to promote the NFL.

• jesarto HERRIMAN, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 1:53 p.m.

The "true height" seems to use height and vertical leap but does not account for reach. While the other tall receivers would look equally better than Hoffman, it would likely make a big difference against the shorter ones.

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 1:26 p.m.

Here is a bold prediction: At least one person on here will pontificate about their knowledge of the draft and how Cody will remain undrafted. A relating of the past history of players from other schools will follow. There also will be comments about the "subpar" label placed on the BYU QBs. Mark it down.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 1:22 p.m.

It is hard to say where Cody will end up in the draft. I do not think he will go really high, but I think he will get drafted. 5th round maybe.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 1:16 p.m.

A couple of 5-9 guys have a "true height" the same as Hoffman? Embarassing.