Sports

High school boys basketball: South Sevier tops Layton Christian in 2A playoff's opening round

Comments

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 1:55 p.m.

One ring as a player at SS, Two as a head coach and three as an assistant with Hunt. Most will tell you that he really ran those teams as an asst.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 11:04 a.m.

@ JD Brooks - For the record (from the UHSAA record books) I can see that Parson's has two rings as a head coach. (2000, 2001) I believe that Geno Morgan has two as well. (2011, 2013).

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:40 p.m.

@ JD Brooks- Although I do want Gunnison to upset Wasatch, and think that SS will not get past Parowan, I would pay good money to see Wasatch play SS again.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 2:22 p.m.

Let's not forget that in tournaments like these, coaches with rings always seem to find a way to win. I have lost count of how many rings Parsons from So. Sevier has. It will make a difference.

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:36 a.m.

I'm not penciling Emery in I'm just picking them in close games. No argument from me on the strengths of these other teams.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 7:49 p.m.

Why are you guys penciling in Emery to play Wasatch? South Summit is a good team; with the best player in 2A outside the WA players. Prisbrey being the best inside player. Emery will struggle with South Summit and Rydalch.

I would like to see a match up of Rydalch and Prisbrey in the semis. That's hoping Enterprise can get by a very good and long team in Merit.

I agree that it was fun to watch Wasatch Academy play. They are soo good.

I agree also that it's a 50|50 guess on everybody else.

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 2:13 p.m.

Can't argue that.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 1:55 p.m.

@ 2afan - While I would agree that Emery has a shot, it is a long one. Wasatch is a great team and solid in every position. It would have to be the perfect game to beat them. Emery did play them close, but I think WA still is able to bet them easily in the tournament.

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Emery has a shot at WA . I liked their guard play.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 12:25 p.m.

Bulldog26...

The losses to GValley mean to me that it would be harder to beat SS a third time. To me other than Wasatch Academy advancing the rest of the tourney is a 50/50 proposition for all teams. Every game could go either way.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 12:00 p.m.

@ JD Brooks - If my memory serves me well, I believe that Gunnison beat the Rams twice this year. The first time by nine and the second time by 15. Just saying.

Here is my prediction for the weekend: Gunnison plays Wasatch tough, but the Tigers get the win. South Sevier loses to Parowan, which would set up the SS - GV match-up again. The Rams are struck by lightning a third time and Gunnison advances to face South Summit(who will lose a tough one to Emery) in the Consolation Championship.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:47 a.m.

@Shaq34 - Interesting to say the least! I wonder if any sanctions will be handed down, either by the home schools or by the UHSAA.

• shaq34 Ogden, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 10:47 a.m.

@ Bulldog26- At the end of the game it looked like a SS player handed the ball to the Layton Christian Coach while he was sitting on the bench. In the handshake line the LCA coach pointed at the kid and flung his hand with a disgusted handshake. Then a SS coach approached him. And of course the fans were yelling and LCA players were being held back from the crowd. Pretty interesting.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:33 a.m.

@ JD Brooks - I will give it to them, they played well. What happened after the game on Saturday? It looked like there were some very upset folks on both sides. Any insight?

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:56 a.m.

Bulldog 26...
    I think that South Sevier is just starting to peak. It is tough to beat a team twice in one year and Parowan beat them early in the season in Monroe by a narrow margin. I think the rams will win by 10 pts and advance to face Wa. Academy.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:32 a.m.

I do think that South Sevier's run will be over on Thursday. It will be a close one, but Parowan will get them.

• shaq34 Ogden, UT
    Feb. 23, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I thought that was interesting as well.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 23, 2014 7:44 a.m.

Looked like things got a little exciting after the game.