Utah

Student-led program seeks to combat bullying in Uintah School District

Comments

• bankonthat vernal, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:11 a.m.

Really? These young students of the DECA club need to be commended not criticized for their wonderful efforts in trying to stop bullying before it begins. Kudos to all of you from Vernal High DECA club and keep up the good work. Maybe then we won't just turn a blind eye to the hurt and pain bullying can cause. Maybe those who don't agree, were bullies themselves!

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Feb. 23, 2014 2:47 p.m.

I seemed to look in vain for a definition of bullying in this article, dictionary definitions sometimes being at odds with the focus of fashionable social agendas such as this. For example there seems to have been inordinate emphasis, from the onset of the "anti-bullying" crusade, on protecting homosexuals from any adverse comment or sign of disapproval. Sound familiar?

Then the program seems to be unnecessarily complicated. I was picked on in my first year at High Schoool for a little while until I lost my cool and knocked down my chief tormenter. The bullying magically and immediately stopped and next term the guy nominated me for class captain. My sister was picked on by some girls and reported it to the teacher, who talked to the girls and warned them of dire consequences if they persisted in their course. The girls, afraid that their parents would be informed, or they'd be sent to the principal's office, ceased the harassment.

The system here seems to concentrate also on how victims of bullying, shouldn't feel upset about it but forgive the jerks. That's up to the victim. He's not the problem, the bullies are.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 22, 2014 10:06 p.m.

Something to listen, and think about:

Boy Named Sue---Johnny Cash

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 22, 2014 10:03 p.m.

Want to stop bullying?--Take everyone's independence away, and regulate their behavior.

@Daughter of God--too many people take advantage of being a victim of some sort, claiming to be discriminated on, to get their way. We can't force everybody to be good without limiting freedoms, and free choice. We need to strengthen each other to deal with the challenges of life. Toughen up.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 22, 2014 7:09 p.m.

The bullied community is seeking fair treatment.

• Daughter of God slc, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 11:28 a.m.

I don't understand the cold-heartedness of the comments above. I think this is an amazing program they have started and our country would be a better place with less suicide, if more of this was implemented elsewhere.

• GloriaR New York, NY
    Feb. 22, 2014 11:25 a.m.

“Be a Buddy, Not a Bully” is a song on YouTube sung by Gennaro that can help teach children about kindness and tolerance.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 7:20 a.m.

Principal, Principle and a man of principles Any one know what these words are.

I think it has to do something with being a friend [pal], [ple] is a code. Do no harm. A man of principles is both.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Feb. 22, 2014 1:54 a.m.

An adult can protect himself against a bully. Why can't a child? Because it isn't politically correct? Gimme a break.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 21, 2014 9:03 p.m.

We've become a nation of victims.

Being bullied is the newest addition to a growing list.