Math and reading help for children in intergenerational poverty would be 'awesome,' mom says

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 12:40 p.m.

Try this. We believe in a free competitive market, so ... offer a certain amount of money to the primary helper/tutor of the child if that child scores at a certain threshold on a fair competency test. Do not require any other credentials of the tutor. The problem will take care of itself. A poor hungry but capable college student, or maybe even a bright high school student, or maybe even a smart kid in junior high will show up and teach the kid one on one and get him to the needed level. This will be money well spent.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 11, 2014 9:10 a.m.

@Million :

Where do you draw the line on "money well spent"?

We already spend more than any civilization in history.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 8:27 a.m.

How dare you show us an example of someone taking personal responsibility to better their situation. Its all rich people's fault and no poor person should have to take responsibility to improve their situation, its the governments(rich tax payers) responsibility.

• Million Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 6:33 a.m.

Isn't this a racist bill? Making the Hispanics with a lot of kids pay more for their education? Actually, the added cost is only about 1/30th of the cost of education so it is money well spent.

• techpubs Sioux City, IA
    Feb. 11, 2014 6:26 a.m.

How about we just place them in a one year program that concentrates on Reading, Writing, and Speaking English to get them up to the level they need before we place them in a Grade level.

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:57 p.m.

I grew up way under the poverty line and I didn't like it. I decided to work hard and go to college for a long time so I wouldn't have to live like that any more, and I didn't have kids until I could pay for them myself. Seemed like a simple solution to me, though I admit even some of my siblings have lingered in the welfare world. I work a lot, but still have time to teach my kids to read and do math well above their grade level. I guess I figure that my personal fate and my family's fate rest in my hands, but I know that's an unpopular view these days.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 10, 2014 9:05 p.m.

Before spending more tax payer money, let's make "Head Start" more efficient.