Sports

Dick Harmon: BYU's Nate Austin shines in win over San Francisco

Comments

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 3:16 p.m.

CA. reader,
    I think the reason Nate doesn't take more 3-point shots is that last year's 3-of-15 (20%) figure is much more accurate than this year's 2-of-4. I frankly prefer my 6'11" guys to score in the paint where they can use their considerable height advantage; any outside shots he takes should be an exception to the rule (as they are this year) rather than the norm.

• daver Provo, 00
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:31 a.m.

Nate Austin is two Navy Seals in one body. Not flashy, but you turn around and the job is done.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 9:59 a.m.

The improvements made by Austin from last year to this season are remarkable with the biggest being getting in position. He's a good guy who works hard and fulfills his role. I too have noticed his hesitance in taking open shots from a variety of places on the floor. If you're open, shoot that thing! Way to go, Nate!!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 9:17 a.m.

Amen. Nate was a boards beast and collected everything that came even close to his paws. He is coming into his own. I see that BYU is still in the top 50 in RPI.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 10, 2014 12:24 a.m.

Last week the DNews called Worthington a hero, and this week the DNews saws Austin shines. Maybe my definitions of "hero" and "shine" are different, but in my opinion Austin was the hero of this game. Last week Worthington merely shined. Worthington's heroics were nothing compared to what Austin did against SF. This was Austin's finest game as a Cougar. Nate, you were the hero, MVP and star of the game.

• davidw GREENACRES, WA
    Feb. 9, 2014 6:25 p.m.

Cougarista,

Great comments.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Feb. 9, 2014 5:39 p.m.

Nate Austin is such a good three point shooter that I wonder why Dave Rose doesn't run plays for him. When he hits one, it is a real downer for the other team. He never seems to look for his shot even when he is wide open.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 2:39 p.m.

Austin quietly changes the character of the game. He intimidates and has learned to do so while keeping the personal fouls under control. His opponents get irritated and unnecessarily foul. It's an art he has learned well.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 9, 2014 1:37 p.m.

You gotta love the guy. He does is best. He cares. He works hard. He continues to improve. My favorite player on the team.

• davidw GREENACRES, WA
    Feb. 9, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Thanks, Dick for a great article on my favorite player! Nate just goes about his role workman like amongst the "stars" of Haws, Carlino and Collinsworth.