Sports

Dick Harmon: NBA needs Jimmer Fredette's magic

Comments

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 9:25 a.m.

Once Jimmers contract is up he will not get another sniff from another NBA team. Face it Dick Jimmer is a bust and should be playing some where in Europe or South America with Hoffa.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Feb. 12, 2014 9:17 a.m.

"But do you think teams game plan for Jimmer like the do Curry?"

Of course not. You don't game-plan for a backup PG playing 5-10 minutes per game.

"You think his shooting would be that high, he was getting double teams like Curry?"

Impossible to say, but it might be even harder to shoot a high percentage playing only a few minutes a game than it is playing 35 with a constant green light. Coming in cold and hitting 45+ percent as a guard is pretty darn good.

It sounds like you may be construing my comments as "Jimmer is as good as Curry." That's absurd . . but then, as much as I hate to keep trotting out this example, "Steve Nash for MVP" would have been hilarious before he, you know, actually won two MVP's. And, no, I'm not predicting MVP's for Jimmer. I'm saying something that is absolute, unassailable truth: No-one knows with any degree of certainty how Jimmer would produce if he played starter minutes. I don't. You don't. I'd like to find out, and I believe he'd do pretty well.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:42 p.m.

@SlopJ30

Right now, his true shooting % is 6th among all PG's, even factoring in guys who don't qualify for the leader board. You don't do that without NBA-level.

----------

According to ESPN, Jimmer doesn't qualify. If you take ALL PGs he is 6th in shooting, Curry at #7:

#1 Jannero Pargo .597
    #2 Patty Mills .583
    #3 Jose Calderon .582
    #4 Pablo Prigioni .577
    #5 Kendall Marshall .576
    #6 Jimmer .556
    #7 Curry .549

With only qualified players:
    #1 Jose Calderon .582
    #2 Curry .549
    #3 Kyle Lowry .527
    #4 Tony Parker .516
    #5 Damian Lillard .511

But do you think teams game plan for Jimmer like the do Curry? You think his shooting would be that high, he was getting double teams like Curry?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:27 p.m.

@poyman

-----------

Anti white coach? Or anti-terrible defender coach?

"Fredette has the reputation of a terrible defender, something he earned in college at BYU. Prior to the 2011 draft, ESPN New York's Ian O'Connor said, "He didn't play any defense at BYU because he wasn't asked to play any defense at BYU."

-- Source cited by Dick Harmon

Sorry, he's not going to get 30 shots on ANY NBA team. He needs to learn to play defense, it seems Rose couldn't teach him that in college.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Feb. 10, 2014 12:36 p.m.

" . . anybody with any basketball sense at all could see this coming . . "

You mean the part about being a few attempts at leading the league in 3PT percentage? I don't think you know exactly what you mean. Look, anyone who expected an all-star performance from day one was nuts, but no more than anyone who watches him play now, in 2014, looks at his numbers, and insists he's not an NBA player.

First, let's shelve talk of Jimmer's defense. Got it; he's a poor defender. Is he the worst defender in the history of organized sports? You'd think so, to hear some of you talk. Two words: "echo chamber." He wasn't drafted to be a lock-down defender, so why do so many discussions of his value start with a knock on his defense?

Second, do two minutes of research before opining. Sort NBA shooting stats any way you want, but you'll keep seeing his name near the top of the list. Right now, his true shooting % is 6th among all PG's, even factoring in guys who don't qualify for the leader board. You don't do that without NBA-level

• Anti Government Alpine, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:40 a.m.

I was a big fan of Jimmers College basketball accomplishments. He was big time when he had the ball in his hands most of the game and was able to shoot at will and the defensive talent was far below the NBA.

As far as the NBA is concerned, the only "magic" Jimmer would have is if he could actually defend and make himself grow six inches because that is what it would take for him to be successful at the next level.

I think Jimmer is a quality person who tore up the College ranks with his success but I'm sorry he is a guppie in the NBA pond.

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 2:32 a.m.

Apparently Fredette needs jackson emery playing defense for him.

• Cosmo's Cousin Holladay, UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 5:19 p.m.

The problem here is the Kings recognize Jimmer's talent but want to get him for cheaper. They will re-sign him after his contract expires at a lower salary and then unleash him on the NBA.

Once Jimmer gets the playing time and more experience, he will surpass Larry Bird as one of the most accomplished players in the NBA and will get rings and MVP awards. Yes, Jimmer has more talent then Larry Bird no matter what utes fans say.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 11:54 a.m.

@Irwin

" Jimmer won't have accomplished half of what Andre Miller has when he retires "

Maybe you ought to request that the DN or SLtrib do an article about the charity work that Andre is doing? Sure Andre is a good NBA player, but what has he done for humanity? I don't know, no one is covering it. Maybe a lot. Does anyone know?

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 8:51 a.m.

@BoringGuy. So now it's the messenger's fault regarding the booing of the little kid being booed because he was wearing a BYU shirt? I guess the 18,000 or so fans didn't see it or participate? Harmon is not responsible for promoting civility, the fans are.

• jaba166 Wasilla, AK
    Feb. 9, 2014 5:56 a.m.

No idea how people like Joey K can write drivel like Jimmer is "no good." Right now, if he had more minutes and the same stats, he would lead the entire NBA in 3 pt % AND FT%, would be second in the NBA among all PG's, and 7th among all guards in total FG%. This despite playing on a selfish team with almost passes to or picks set for him. He's also second on the team in A/T ratio. "NO GOOD???" RU kidding me? With such #'s, what's the big deal about defense. Although not a lock-down defender, most specialists on "D" aren't the best offensive players either - can't have it all. Regardless, for those focusing only on Jimmer's defense, your claims loose credibility when actually looking at numbers. Look at his steals and rebounds per 48 minutes, and +/- in comparison to other guards on the team. So, if you Jimmer haters want to spout nonsense, at least try looking at objective data a little before you do so. When you don't check your facts, you look either blind / jaded, or just silly.

• Carol P. Warnick Ephraim, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2014 5:10 a.m.

I agree with every word of this article. Jimmer has brought
    dignity to the sport of basketball in and off the floor. He is the kind of man that young people can use as a pattern for sports.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 9, 2014 3:35 a.m.

I'm a 20 year Mavs Season Ticket Holder and I would absolutely love having Fredette on our team... Granted, he's not overly fast but he can still get to the rim with the best of them... And, I don't think there are 3 players in the league that can shoot the 3 ball better or more consistently...

I watch everyone of Fredette's games and while Defense is not great, it's not horrible (the starting PG for the Kings , Thomas, is continuously posted up and his opponent usually walks away with one of his best games for the season... Fredette is at least as good as that.

There have been probably 3 or 4 games where Jimmer has come in and took over... When Thomas went out in the most recent Kings-Jazz game and the Kings didn't have Gay or Cousins, Jimmer almost brought them back from a 12 and 14 point deficit himself before losing in the final minute.

Jimmer Fredette is not only a good human being, he's a Basketball Star and he will be successful in the NBA... Take that to the bank...

I believe Jimmer was 7-1 against the lowly utes so I understand the frustration.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 9, 2014 3:15 a.m.

Dick Harmon, I have to tell you that I really enjoy your articles... They deal with topics that are important to folks like me and I wouldn't listen to a word from the ute fans that Max described so accurately...

The same nay sayers were claiming that Jimmer wouldn't even get drafted yet two Lottery Teams were working on trades to get him... The Kings actually traded up to get him in the #10 spot and Westphal was excited to coach him... Unfortunately Westphal was fired 2 weeks into the season and Smart ( a very anti-white coach) got to call the shots for 2 years... Now the Kings have Malone who picked up where Smart left off...

Fredette will get his chance (of that I'm certain) and he will deliver just like J Linn did when he was moved to NY (away from the Warriors and Keith Smart)... A year later J Linn got the huge contract with the Rockets and now he is leading his team to a solid position in the 2014 playoffs... Jimmer is better than J Linn and once he gets his chance he will put a muzzle on the nay saying ute fans.

• statman Lehi, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:55 p.m.

Jimmer is painfully slow? Ummm No. You're "white guys are slow" bias is showing. In the draft combine, Jimmer was among the leaders in many of the drills - and he placed in the top 25% of the draft class in pure measurable athleticism.

Who's the painfully slow one?

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:01 p.m.

I Still Can't Say It....
    You must think only Ute fans are Jazz fans. No wonder the Jazz can't fill their arena! If Jimmer was wearing a Jazz Uni, I'm sure some Ute fans would then quit supporting the Jazz altogether...not matter how many W's they got. Will Jimmer have a place in the NBA? Of course, just not with the Jazz. Not a good place for him or them.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:00 p.m.

Nobody disputes Jimmer's accomplishments at the collegiate level. However, anybody with a ny basketball sense at all could see this coming - except for perhaps the Kings' scouts -. I predicted three years ago he would be out of the NBA after his initial 3-year rookie deal. I think it is pretty clear my prediction is inching closer to being a fulfilled prediction. Tel Aviv, Korean, and Chinese leagues await the Jimmer and his rapping brother.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 8, 2014 4:34 p.m.

It is amazing to me how many Utah fans are simply incapable of showing any objectivity. Still stinging from the beatdown that Jimmer put on the Utes several times? No single player has EVER put up a comparable performance against Utah and yet the Utah faithful can't admit he is worthy of the NBA. And booing him even 3 yrs into the NBA when he comes to visit the JAZZ just shows the level of class of so many of the Utah fan base.

There is no question that Jimmer has gotten shafted at Sacramento. His defense is average (definitely not the worst) and he has shown in limited minutes that he can score with the best of them.

I, for one, would love to see DN to continue to publish stories about Jimmer if, for nothing more, than to irritate those who despise him so.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    Feb. 8, 2014 3:26 p.m.

The Portland Trailblazers NEED Jimmer Fredette immediately. They could go deep into the playoffs with a guy of his caliber and talents! And they have two or three very tradable assets to offer.

They need bench. They need a quality backup to Damian Lillard. They need shooting, accuracy and points.

Honestly, living away from the Utah Valley, I get a perspective that many don't get to enjoy there. People living outside of Utah don't worship Jimmer. If anything, they just have a disdain for him.

First, he is a Mormon. Next, he's a great shooter. Third, he's nice, moral and a good example. Fourth, he's white and has no "tats"! He's a real "goodie-two-shoes"! Lastly, he's been on a team that has thoroughly wasted his remarkable talent. And for those who say he plays zero defense, get him into a rotation on a regular basis and the level of defense required of him be developed!

Yeah, I'm on a bandwagon. PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS! TRADE FOR JIMMER!

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 2:59 p.m.

I am fascinated by Jimmer's numbers over those three years. He shoots just as well from three as anywhere else.

I don't know what that really means, but I found it interesting.

As a non-Jimmer-fan (or a non-fan of Jimmer?), I will be the first to confess that I might have been wrong about Jimmer not having NBA-level talent.

He most certainly DOES have the kind of talent that would be perfect for one professional basketball team: the Harlem Globtrotters!

Go (to Harlem), Jimmer!

• Coolio SLC, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Interesting that he has upped those numbers by 10% in all three categories listed. That's pretty good. I would love to see Jimmer prove his doubters wrong and develop into a good NBA player. Only he can do that. He'll have to find another level.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 2:33 p.m.

unfortunately he won't come to the Jazz unless they change the whole front office. John Lucas is a good example of there thinking.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 8, 2014 2:29 p.m.

I don't understand. The NBA let MJ grab jerseys, push off, travel; let Shaq charge every time he got the ball; let Kareem hook with his left arm, every time he shot his sky hook; let Magic run over any defender. Why can't they just have the officials make special calls for Jimmer's lack of defense? IE: just call an offensive foul on any offensive player who gets by him. Or, just give him the protection from defenses that MJ enjoyed. He would score so much his lack of defense would not matter. Lots of players get special treatment from officials to cover flaws. I believe this guy would be worth something similar. PS: I have never been to the BYU campus.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Feb. 8, 2014 1:38 p.m.

Improvement must be due to all of the practice with the neighborhood kids.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Nice story, Dick, on a local hero. Keep it coming and good luck to the Jimmer.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Bring him to Utah... I "might" buy a ticket then.

• trueblueBYU Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 12:06 p.m.

Please keep writing these articles and keep us up to date on Jimmer. Much appreciated. Thanks.

• kevo Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 12:05 p.m.

Well said, Mr. Harmon. I couldn't have said it better myself. He's shown the greatest class!

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 8, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Jimmer was unreal in college, but few people outside of the BYU fanbase, (which clearly includes Mr. Harmon), thought Jimmer would do more than he is doing in the NBA.

• Jeff29 Draper, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 11:28 a.m.

There truly is something wrong with people who revel in the failure of others.

I get why Ute fans don't like Max Hall, but Jimmer showed nothing but class toward the U players, coaches and fans, yet three year later, these people still criticize and boo him. I was at the Sacramento game last week, and the boos everytime Jimmer touched the ball were louder than the cheers for the Jazz. And the booing of the little kid in the Jimmer jersey, well, that just kind of proves that maybe Max was right.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Feb. 8, 2014 11:21 a.m.

The Jimmer haters might get surprised when he ends up with Oklahoma and becomes their spot up three guy.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 11:16 a.m.

Looks like I'm back on the Jimmer bandwagon!

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:55 a.m.

Having been a gym rat my entire life, and played very competitive basketball during my day - I for one am a huge fan of Jimmer's game.

His shot is perfect! Perfect form and perfect range.

Basketball is a game of spacing. If you have a shooter that can open the middle for your big men, then that player is priceless. I have NO DOUBT that a quality team will pick him up, play him a lot of minutes and pay him handsomely for his services.

If some of you would drop the anti-BYU rant for a minute and be objective, you'd realize that. The NBA does not require you to be a lock down defender to find a home.

Get out of Sacramento and he'll do just fine.

And I too follow Jimmer every night to see how he did. He's incredibly fun to watch play.

• Goldminer Salem, ut
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:52 a.m.

The Jazz really messed up in not taking Jimmer. I believe he would have made a difference and the games would be sold out for sure.

Jimmer is the model for what NBA (and ALL professional players) SHOULD be: people of integrity, honor, and class! Not the tattoo covered, immoral, selfish players that so many are today. PERIOD!!!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:23 a.m.

He's a great guy. He's not an NBA player. Put articles about him in the Family section.

• JohnnyJingle SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 9:40 a.m.

Jimmer will make $2.4 million in salary this year. I'm sure he's suffering.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Feb. 8, 2014 9:38 a.m.

The Lakers have been needing to replace the aging Steve Nash with Jimmer. I have been saying this for the last 2 years.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 9:10 a.m.

"...but that ilk booed a little kid in a BYU shirt when a cameramen put the tyke on the big screen."

Harmon, it's not productive to instigate. The Utah-BYU rivalry is nasty enough and local media should be trying to calm things down rather than make the tension between the fan bases even worse.

Please use better judgement next time and take the high road by promoting civility. Thank you very much.

• Irwin Fletcher Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:57 a.m.

Yeah, the NBA needs more mediocre players that don't complain about not being allowed to shine while being payed big $$$; what a star! Jimmer won't have accomplished half of what Andre Miller has when he retires but the local media barely pay Andre any attention even when he comes to SLC. That is a hard-working player without the obnoxious swagger of the typical under-achieving NBA player (looking at you Boozer).

Face facts, even on a team "that wants him", Jimmer is not going to be game-changer kind of guy. He just isn't a marquee NBA player.The NBA does NOT need more players like Jimmer, it badly needs more players that are as skilled at defense as offense.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:57 a.m.

I'm sure Jimmer will be "freed" and playing for another team soon enough. Jimmer's new team will be in Europe or Turkey though. Jimmer was fine in the MWC but can't hang in the NBA plain and simple.

In the meantime, people in ESA were booing the BYU shirt and not the child. Big difference and perfectly understandable.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:41 a.m.

I think it would be great if Jimmer got traded to Denver, the Knicks, or the Nets.

I do find it odd that some are of the ilk that they still mock his lack of playing time and or apparent lack of major trade talk about him. He has logged hundreds more minutes in the NBA than any of us (unless Chris B stands for Bosh, which I sort of doubt.) . I also find it odd that some are of the ilk that they will actually come to an article about Jimmer and read it and comment on it telling us to stop talking about Jimmer.

Free Jimmer .

• trueblueBYU Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:36 a.m.

Please keep talking about Jimmer.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:33 a.m.

why does anyone have interest in the nba. absolutely boring. i continue to hope that they will trade him for chrissy b and aloow us to see chrissy's athleticism, foot speed and verticality. i can't wait. and yes, given a chance, jimmer will be tremendous.

• Herby Hurricane, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:29 a.m.

Jimmer Fredette = The State of Utah's Tim Tebow

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 8:28 a.m.

Jimmer shows more class than those Jazz fans who think its cool to boo a little kid. That one bush league display has turned me in to an 'anyone but the Utah Jazz' fan. But what was expected? Max Hall was right. :)

• StocksOnTheRocks Lehi, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:52 a.m.

Jimmer to the Jazz! He would fill a lot of empty seats up, Jimmer is a great player, he just got drafted by a team, which would be a rugged fit for anyone, and since the Jazz missed Jimmer, and Damian Lillard, In state players, playing College ball in the Jazz's backyards, ??? make up Call for the Jazz?? quit sleeping through the local "GREATS"

• utroyalwulff logan, ut, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:49 a.m.

the NBA needs JC Carroll for USU. He has been tearing up the Italian league for several years. Is a great shooter and for his size is a fantastic defensive player and rebounder. Jimmer might still be a great shooter but that is it, there is nothing else to his game.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:42 a.m.

Class all the way around is truly the Jimmer style and how he respects his wife and everyone for that matter is truly worthy of emulation. I watched again for the ???time his 52-point night I attended vs UNM at the MWC tourney. Best basketball performance I ever witnessed and by such a phenomenal person. Free Jimmer..the league needs his class and several teams will truly value his presence and value his contribution as an integral part of their team.

• Joey K Sandy, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:14 a.m.

It doesn't matter if he is a good ambassador or nice guy or dealt with adversity. The NBA needs more players who are talented. Jimmer is not good. Coach Rose gave him free reigns for the offense, but he never learned to pass or play defense.

This article is irrelevant if you fail to mention Jimmer's lack of legitimate NBA talent.

• gotold Ivins, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 6:26 a.m.

I usually read about a paragraph of these kind of "hero worship articles" and move on, but I really enjoyed this one. The good lord blessed Jimmer with the ability to shoot the basketball better than anyone else.... then made him painfully slow. I hope he finds a place where he fits in and plays a bigger role than he does now. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen.

• ex patria cougar Australia, 00
    Feb. 8, 2014 3:08 a.m.

Fredette is the only reason I follow the NBA at all. And I admit, I follow every Kings game I can just to see how he did.

I hope Jimmer knows there's a lot of people pulling for him.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 1:27 a.m.

Please stop talking about Jimmer.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Feb. 8, 2014 1:14 a.m.

Sacramento should have never drafted Jimmer Fredette.

Fredette has been stuck on the wrong team for three years. Thankfully, he will be a free agent this coming summer. If Sacramento's smart, they'll trade him before the trade deadline to a team that wants him.

After watching some of the abysmal shooting the Jazz have displayed (over the past few games) I'm not so sure Jimmer couldn't help them. He might not be a lock down defender, but then few NBA players are; so criticizing him for that doesn't make a whole lot sense.
    He wouldn't have to do much, other than become the Jazz official "zone buster." Watching him hit 35 foot jump shots might actually help instill a little confidence into the other Jazz players.

Whatever happens to Jimmer Fredette, here's one Ute fan who wishes him well.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 11:25 p.m.

Ilk was a great description of that "fan" base.

Fredette will get his shot. He is putting up some good number on limited playing time. That is exactly what he needs to do. He will get traded and have a great season and everybody in Sactown will be scratching their heads.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 11:13 p.m.

What's I don't get is, with the kings clearly not having Jimmer in their future, why haven't they traded first round pick Jimmer for a first round pick from all the teams offering first round picks for him?

Surely there are teams fighting and offering at least one first round pick to get first round Jimmer right?

And not just first round, but lottery pick like Jimmer was.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 7, 2014 10:41 p.m.

Free the JIMMER!! Once he gets off the Sac Town Queens, either through a trade or free agency, he will have an opportunity to showcase his range. Isaiah Thomas continues to shoot over 20 plus FG's a game while the team continues to lose. Yet they don't give a guy who is a much better shooter, knows how to spread the floor, a chance to start. To me that says more about an organization and coaching than a guys inability to perform.