Faith

President Obama makes religious freedom pitch in Prayer Breakfast remarks

Comments

• SummerTRose Langley, WA
    Feb. 27, 2014 5:05 p.m.

I find the president's speech encouraging! We know the benefits of religious freedom. We know the heartache of having that freedom ignored or taken away. It is good to encourage the world to work towards the ideal of religious freedom. Our constitution has set high ideals for us and it has taken years to learn how to live up to those ideals...and we are still on that journey. Yes, there is hypocrisy. There is hypocrisy in all of us. None of us live 100% the ideals we espouse, yet we expect people to respect our intent and give us space as we grow towards that ideal. We also expect to be supported in our journey and not kicked down further. Let's offer the same to the president. Support the effort, give encouragement, and do what we can to make religious freedom a reality everywhere.

Even though the contraceptive issue is seen by many as an affront to religious practice, it can also be seen as a tight rope walk between rights of individuals to worship or not as they want vs rights of religious organizations. The latter being much more difficult to sort out.

• john@sneekee draper, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 4:04 p.m.

so, if obama says right he has gone left, if he says religious freedom, he prevents the exercise and absolute freedom to your belief.

think birth control forced onto the nun's. think of hobby lobby, the Christian owned hobby craft store.

think of the rights of and for the unborn...

think obama is really for prayer?

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:24 p.m.

@Instereo
    No one is asking you to reject anyone. Religion tells you to love everyone, I think that especially applies to your family.
    However, you don't have to give into any whim or fancy that your daughter or the media can think of.
    For you to think that unless you support gay marriage you or others don't love your daughter, that is not the right equation. Love is unconditional, it shouldn't depend on you or others redefining marriage.
    Look at the New Testament and you will find out what Jesus said concerning marriage. A Christian tries to follow the teachings of Jesus. I hope that helps and best of luck helping your daughter with the cross she must carry.

• David Centerville, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:13 p.m.

JoeBlow,

Partisan only because we have seen this in the past: Obama says one thing, but does the opposite.

He calls for religious freedom, but his government will prosecute/fine those who refuse to provide abortion coverage, condoms and birth control as part of their healthcare. And there is a real fear that Obama's government will prosecute religions that refuse to marry gays. In this speech he is calling on religions to accept gay marriage, even though it may go against their faith and teachings.

There are a majority of Americans who do not trust this president, as indicated in polling. That is a problem he created, not Republicans or religions.

Instereo--

I have gay family members, and gay friends. We can love them while not promoting their lifestyle. When I say promoting their lifestyle, I mean we can love them, but not work to enact laws that change traditional marriage, normalize the gay lifestyle, and allow indoctrination of gay lifestyle in our schools.

Read recent statement by the LDS Church.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:00 p.m.

Let this silence all the emails over the years that say that Pres. Obama "banned National Prayer Day", "never goes to the Prayer Breakfast", and "is really a Muslim or atheist."

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 1:11 p.m.

does Barack's "freedom of religion" include The Little Sisters Of The Poor? Apparently not since these caring Catholic Nuns are being forced by Obamacare to contradict their core beliefs regarding abortion. Once again - say one thing and do another - the Obama motto. Hypocrisy in action.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 1:03 p.m.

Yes, you may have freedom of religion, but don't practice it outside of your home or synagog/mosque/church.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 12:33 p.m.

One thing that was clear in Mr. Obama's address that was omitted from this article was that he explicitly included those who are nonbelievers in his call for religious freedom. There is just as much persecution of atheists around the world as there is persecution of other religious groups. Too often it seems that those who fight for religious freedom are only concerned about the rights of their group to practice its religion. Christians are eager to denounce the persecution of Christians, and Jews are quick to denounce the persecution of Jews. We should all denounce the persecution of all peoples for their religious views, whatever they may be.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 7, 2014 12:06 p.m.

Another example of finding partisan fault, even when someone does exactly what you would want them to do.

The partisanship will destroy this country.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 12:00 p.m.

After reading the comments here, it appears that the religious in this state are still able to practice their freedom of speech.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Feb. 7, 2014 9:17 a.m.

It's interesting how Right Wingers can launch into anti-Obama tirades at the drop of a hat.

Is it really that audacious of an American President to promote religious freedom?

• Albert Maslar CPA (Retired) Absecon, NJ
    Feb. 7, 2014 8:49 a.m.

Actions speak louder than words. By their fruits yu shall know them. A bad tree does not produce good fruit.Consider the anti-religious actions and dismiss the holier than thou talk.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 8:46 a.m.

And all I've heard from senate dems is complaints. So sad they can't be constructive.

If BO truly believed in religious liberties, he work to repeal Obamacare and would support traditional marriage.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 8:19 a.m.

Support religious freedom by forcing people to fund abortions and birth control or participate in gay weddings in violation of their religious beliefs. Do as I say, not as I do.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 8:00 a.m.

Someone asks how President Obama can ask for religious freedom and at the same time ask for people to be open to LGBT issues. As I see it, I raised four daughters in a conservative, religious environment. There was family home evening, family prayer, church meetings, trips to church sites, so on and so on. Then when one of the girls comes out after college hard questions had to be asked within myself about what are family values. Do I reject my daughter because she's gay? Do I fight against her marrying the one she loves? What do I do when my other daughters support her? Do I reject her partner? How do I reconcile with a church that seems to reject my daughter? How do I deal with a God who either did or did not make my daughter that way and science which says she was born that way? Finally how do I look at my daughter who is a productive, active, member of society earning a good income and helping people along the way? Personally, I'll tell you I love my daughter more now than when she was "straight." I'll fight for her rights.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    Feb. 7, 2014 6:51 a.m.

That's the problem with conservatives. Besides seeking loving family relationships, orphanages, churches and other organizations sponsoring education, turning around the lives of people who've hit rock-bottom, southern hospitality, and comparative civility in social issues, they're just not constructive.

• David Centerville, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 6:32 a.m.

It is interesting that the president called on nations & world leaders to embrace religious freedom, and also called on people to embrace the agenda of the LGBT community.

It seemed as if he were speaking at one point to the religious community, of which much of it rejects gay marriage based upon their religious beliefs, and calling upon them to support gay marriage.

In Obama's world religious freedom means the practice of one's faith, as long as it subscribes to his view of faith. Religions must throw out thousands of years of faith practices in order to enjoy religious freedom the way Obama views it.

It is also interesting to see that leaders recognize (as quoted in this article) that Obama is a man of many words, but light on action (perhaps Missing In Action).

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Feb. 7, 2014 6:13 a.m.

I find it hypocritical of Obama to discuss religious freedom when he himself is waging war on the Little Sisters of the Poor.

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 7, 2014 5:48 a.m.

This : Obama spoke out against blasphemy laws that "are promoted sometimes as an expression of religion, but, in fact, all too often can be used to suppress religious minorities.

...should be well remembered. This speech doesn't come out without some footings.
    There is a reason for everything. It will be shown later on.

• LiberalEastCoastMember Parkesburg, PA
    Feb. 7, 2014 5:18 a.m.

That darn Obama!

• Bob K portland, OR
    Feb. 7, 2014 3:07 a.m.

It was a wonderful speech --easy to find on HuffPo or elswhere.
    The President says that God let him to Chicago and to find Michelle, and more.

I would hope that the issue of religious freedom is not reduced to the present debate, which seems to be about the rights of the religious to disdain Gay people.

All over the world, people are being persecuted and killed and driven from their homes because of their religion.

Would it not be great if American Christians would spend the time and money helping religious people around the world, that they presently expend on those Gay issues?

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 7, 2014 1:56 a.m.

The problem is we can't trust a word President Obama says. I have learned that whatever President Obama says I should expect the opposite to happen. I expect religious liberties to be further assaulted in 2014. One day I hope we get a President who values freedom especially religious freedom more than he/she values power and control.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Feb. 6, 2014 11:52 p.m.

Gimme a break! The Dear Leader's idea of religious freedom is, "Do what I say or else."

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 8:22 p.m.

And all I've heard from conservatives is complaints. So sad they can't be constructive.