Quantcast

Comments about ‘Recruiting blather peaks in Utah’

Return to article »

Published: Wednesday, Feb. 5 2014 8:30 p.m. MST

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
BeSmart
Cheyenne, WY

The article did not say anything for 3 stars.
Just that 24.6% of the first round on average are three stars.
It did not give 1 in whatever for 3 stars.
sorry

eric2002x
Miami, FL

@ Chris B

It is true that BYU has an advantage with LDS kids, who unfortunately make up only 2% of the population. So not sure that really counts as a true advantage when the other 98% is so difficult because of the honor code. And of course, other power schools also are very tempting when they recruit LDS kids -- the top of the top like Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC -- where you get the highest education with the best football history & track record. The brightest LDS kids will always be tempted by the quality of the degree, and I can't blame them.

Chris B
Salt Lake City, UT

eric2002,

Throwing out your 2% and 98% numbers doesn't prove anything. That's only midway through the thought process.

What percentage of Mormon players go and play at byu? I don't know for sure but I know the Deseret News has articles all the time about LDS players playing college sports and it sure seems that byu gets at least 30%. Utah/Utah State probably get 15-20% each and the remaining 40-50% spread throughout the rest of the country. I don't think I'm overestimating at all by saying 30% go to byu, its a very reasonable estimate.

So 30% of 2% is .6%

If we say the rest of the 98% go to the remaining 124 FBS teams(there are 125 total) that means any given school only has a .8% chance of landing a recruit, so we're talking about a difference of .6% chance at landing a particular recruit vs. .8%

And that's if we assume none of the 98% of non-lds kids would be interested in byu, which we know isn't true.

If you think any of my numbers are way off, I'm open to what you think - but simply saying 2% and 98% doesn't complete the thought process.

AZUTE1
Mesa, AZ

Some ratings have evolved into being laughable....[3] examples--

Former commit, Donovan Wilson, was rated 2-Stars by Scout up 'til very day Nick Saban visited him at home via helicopter/TAMU ratcheted-up pressure on him to switch his commitment and, immediately prior to his switch, Scout bumped his rating up to 3-Stars.

Scout rates Travonne Hobbs 2-Stars, yet offer list included--

Arizona, ASU, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas State, Kentucky, Miss State, Oregon State and West Virginia, among others.

Scout rates Tavaris Williams 2-Stars, yet held offers from, among others, Florida, Boston College and Duke, w/serious interest from Wisconsin/Iowa State....Received gauntlet of late offers, all w/intense high-pressure to switch his commitment, from these heavyweights--

Oregon/Auburn/Georgia.

And on and on....Blatant bias favoring some/disfavoring others....In contrast, research alternatives available to byu's 2-Star commits.

The U is widely known as one of the nation's premiere schools for how excellent they turn less regarded recruits into NFL mainstays....We don't start w/primarily 4-/5-Star commits like Texas/Stanford, etc. do!

I trust our coaches/current NFL rosters over journalists when assessing talent!

BeSmart
Cheyenne, WY

@ CB
I think the interesting question would be what percentage of athletes would not go to BYU because of the Honor code?
I honestly have no idea. All I know is ~85% of my team would not have gone to the Y because of it. In fact athletes there had offers from the Y and stated they didn't want to go because of the honor code.
But who really cares. BYU is at the top of the mid-major world (yes they are a mid-major), Utah is at the bottom of the power conference world (I think most can admit that) even though their basketball has made amazing progress.
So it was the same old argument from when Utah was in the MWC. Which is better lower tier Power conference or high tier mid-major.
Everyone has a different opinion on that.

Big Blue
Payson, UT

Bronco said, "His new receivers are “more volatile, able to stretch defenses” and the linebackers “have fierce athleticism.” So what good is it if your receivers are "more volatile and able to stretch defenses," if you never throw to them? With a QB like Hill who runs way more than he should, Cody Hoffman became just a decoy. Yeah, he caught nearly everything that came his way, but that's the point...many passes never came his way. It's great he had a couple of good lead-up years otherwise he'd be Cody Hoffman, the receiver no one has heard of!

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments