Sports

Cougars addressing needs at wide receiver, outside linebacker

Comments

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Feb. 5, 2014 10:26 p.m.

How about the "not so fast, there, offense"?

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Feb. 5, 2014 5:36 p.m.

"Just win, baby"!

• BYUSU Wellsville, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 2:33 p.m.

@ logicalsportsanalyst

"As we all know, college football is a game of strategy more than a game of talent."

You can teach strategy, you can't teach talent. I'll take the talent. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 9:30 a.m.

A Rewrite: It’s no secret that [some] of BYU’s glaring weaknesses [are] the quarterback, coaches and the play calling.

But don’t expect the Cougars’ 2014 [team] to fix [these] problem[s] — at least not [in the foreseeable future. So don't expect much change, if any, from last year.]

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 8:55 a.m.

Bman, in points per game Chris is right. If you want to argue that yardage is more important than points go ahead.

But no one who knows anything about football would agree with you

• logicalsportsanalyst West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 8:50 a.m.

As we all know, college football is a game of strategy more than a game of talent. You have to see what hand you have to play, and play it the best way possible. Go fast, go hard has its perks. However, there is also great strategy behind having a drive drain 8-10 minutes off the clock. Go fast go hard is an intelligent move to confuse the defense in tempo changes. Keep the defense guessing as to your tempo.

I am not an Anae hater-in fact, there have been some very legitimate offensive years under him-predictable, but successful. Sadly, we all know Anae is stubborn and not willing to get more creative with his offense, so mixing things up is not very likely.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 5, 2014 7:50 a.m.

@ CB
    In total yardage BYU was actually 14th.
    Go to the ncaa website. Educate yourself

• B Man Orem, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 7:24 a.m.

Chris B,

BYU ranked 16th in total offense in 2013. Utah was 84th.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 5, 2014 1:11 a.m.

@ wahului
    That is a start. I'll take games won over who can run the most amount of plays in a game.

• loganma1 Orem, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 10:30 p.m.

So Cal,
    Ted Hendricks was a 6-8 linebacker who played many years in the NFL. He was a multiple all-pro player. Bronson is 6-6 and will need to lose weight. Not sure I like the move either.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 10:20 p.m.

You would think with a go fast go hard offense, especially at such an offensive juggernaut school like byu, that the offense would have been in the top 50 last season. But no, byu wasn't.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 4, 2014 9:14 p.m.

"The fast-paced tempo, and the higher volume of plays, was tough on the players, not only in games, but also in practices — especially at the end of the season."

So remind me again why the fast and furious offense is such a great thing.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Feb. 4, 2014 8:42 p.m.

Perhaps they should implement the "go fairly fast, go moderately hard"...

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 4, 2014 5:24 p.m.

Yes So Cal, a lot of moves Bronco does strike me as interesting. I just can't wait for this "Go fast, Go hard" idea to fade away in the sunset. I am all for up tempo, but please do it in moderation. They want to go faster than Oregon with half as fast talent. I don't get it.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 4, 2014 5:01 p.m.

This is the second mention I've read of Bronson Kaufusi moving to outside linebaker. Dude in 6'8"! Don't knowt that there's ever been an outside linebacker at his size. I like Kaufusi quit a bit. His motor in constantly running; however, does this move strike anyone else as being interesting? I know he's very quick for one of his size, but quick enough at that position?