Sports

BYU basketball: Cougars stage comeback to defeat St. Mary's for first time in WCC

Comments

• PM64 Orem, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 2:20 a.m.

I simply don't understand why Waldow's style of play is tolerated in the NCAA, since it's been banned in the NBA. He basically smashes his butt and chest into his defender, knocking him back over and over, committing an offensive foul EVERY SINGLE TIME and yet the refs allow it. That's exactly how Charles Barkley survived in the NBA when his weight ballooned, until the NBA got fed up with his fat behind smashing defender out of the way until he shot a layup. I was pretty sure the NCAA already HAD that rule, but after watching Waldow get away with murder (or at least severely pounding his defenders) for an entire game, I have to wonder.

I'm also VERY tired of having two female broadcasters every time BYU plays on ESPN. I'll grant that the two women involved do know the sport, although they ignored Waldow's bullying, which rather surprised me, until I realized that's most likely not how the women's game is played, so they had no frame of reference to point it out as unacceptable.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Feb. 3, 2014 7:07 p.m.

I'd much rather listen to the women who did the play-by-play for this game than, say, Bill Walton, who most certainly did play at the highest levels of the game.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 5:45 p.m.

Some officials are still learning the new system and until they do, their calls will be uneven. However, at this point in the season it is incompetence rather than bias.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Feb. 3, 2014 2:31 p.m.

Maybe it was #4 on Worthington. He was on offense and scored on the play. If there was a foul, it was on the defender!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 3, 2014 12:51 p.m.

"Talk about "ticky tack fouls"! What about #5 on Worthington? Or, was it just me?"

It wasn't just you. If I remember correctly which foul it was, Worthington had excellent position and moved his feet just like he should. Waldow dropped the shoulder into Worthington not once, not twice, but three times. After the third time he went up for the shot as the whistle blew. Worthington also kept his hands back the whole time. It was perfect defense, horrible call.

I'm not knocking Waldow. He does have a lot of talent and has improved immensely since he was a raw Freshman. However, he is allowed a lot of leeway in what he does. He always has been. Just like I said in comparison to Van der mars last week: Austin used to do a lot of the same things and almost always got called for the foul. It's just not right. Call it the same for everybody, please.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 12:51 p.m.

I thought Waldow provided a great learning opportunity for Mika. He's a dominant big man and played the way we should all be hoping Mika plays one day. It seemed Mika was a bit hesitant in the first part of the game-- maybe intimidated?? But then started playing much better against him. Worthington being able to take some of the defensive pressure was key in this game. He may not have scored but the 5 fouls he gave up were worth his play time. Yes, I also thought that last foul on him was a bit ticky-tacky. They had been letting the chest bumps go all game then all of a sudden it wasn't allowed. Ref's need to be more consistent. Sure hope Worthington can improve his game before next season with Mika leaving. We'll need more scoring production underneath no matter who it is.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Feb. 3, 2014 11:53 a.m.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Feb. 3, 2014 11:46 a.m.

Shouldn't Jackson be suspended for a number of games? A blatant, violent infraction!

• Eliot Genola, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 11:41 a.m.

I'm glad the Cougars won but I have to disagree with some commenting about Brad Waldow. He is a very good college player who uses his size and strength to his advantage. It took a while for BYU to adjust defensively to him but once they did they limited his production very well. Without those adjustments the kid could have put up 50 on the Cougars.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 10:57 a.m.

Star Bright-- Rock On commented about announcers needing to have played at that level. You were far from the only one talking about this so my comment tried to cover the various aspects brought up. Striker even said women should only announce gymnastics and ice skating. Talk about condescending. I never said whether I was a man or woman-- much less a feminist. Yes, men announce women's sports all the time. Why not women announce men's? Is there something inherently wrong with women announcing certain sports? It's just sexism. Men's sports are more seen and popular than women's (whatever the reason) so if you're doing a good job, you should be able to get promoted to the higher profile games-- period. I just think it's patronizing that so many would think a person's gender should exclude them from advancing in their profession. I attended the game but wanted to see a few replays so watched parts online. The women seemed to be doing a fine job to me but I'm more interested in the game anyway.

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 6:24 a.m.

keepittruthful

The Mountain west wont let byu rebroadcast the games like The west coast confrence does and Espn .

The pac 12plays on Sunday

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 6:13 a.m.

Coolio

You have a good point!!!

I think Dave Rose used the bench !!!

In the cass of Worthlin so Eric Mika didnt fowl out garding Waldow

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Feb. 3, 2014 6:05 a.m.

staypuffinpc

I think you bring up a good point !!!

I really think the refs want the players to win the game .

and not be helped by there calls !!!

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Feb. 2, 2014 10:51 p.m.

I am glad that someone else mentioned the women broadcasters. It doesnt have anything to do with their knowledge of the game but I simply expect to have men broadcast mens games. Guess everything changes sometime.

BYU is fortunate that Waldo got in foul trouble early in the second half. There were 3 quick ticky tac fouls early in the second half that really hurt them.

I wonder if the St Mary player will be suspended a game for his elbow to Mika jaw. That was as deliberate an elbow as I have seen in a long time.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2014 10:14 p.m.

gdog3finally

Do you honestly believe that California is better than Arizona?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 2, 2014 10:04 p.m.

When the Cougars visit Saint Mary's I want Coach Rose to suit up Brandon Kaufusi and let him travel with the team and play until he gets 5 defensive fouls from banging around with Waldow. That would be worth the price of admission to witness.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 9:59 p.m.

I think we win the rest of the home games, with Gonzaga a toss-up, and then we need to win at least 2 of the 3 road games against St. Mary's, Pacific and San Diego. Love the way Collinsworth is improving at the line and carrying more of the scoring load, but we need Carlino to average 10-14 pts and more steals and assists each game. He's the key to getting in the tournament and possibly scoring some early upsets.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Feb. 2, 2014 9:44 p.m.

Souptwins: I frankly don't care if the announcer has ever played basketball or not! Have you listened to any of the women's basketball games? How many male announcers are there? I guess I'm mainly talking about local games.

I also turned on KSL & listened to them cover the game. The only problem is that radio is a couple of seconds ahead of the tv and it gets a little confusing sometimes.

So I don't intend to get over it! But thanks for the feminist advise!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2014 9:38 p.m.

@worf

What?

Head to head matters not again eh?

Nice win for BYU. I checked in briefly at the gym when BYU was down double digits. Winning against Gonzaga or St. Mary's on the road is in order now.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Unranked California(15-7) BEAT #1 Arizona(21-1) Saturday evening.

Scoreboard "proves" that California is BETTER than Arizona.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Do any of you commenting about the women announcers think for one minute all the men commentators played D-1 Bball? Greg Wrubell?-- you've got to be kidding. Blaine Fowler? football yes, but not Bball. The only reason you think it ought to be men is because that's how it has always been so you're all just conditioned to think that's how it "should" be. To me, it has nothing to do with gender or having been a player. If they understand the game, give good insights, and balance their comments, that's all that should matter. Get over it already.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 2, 2014 7:21 p.m.

Utah beat BYU on their home court. Good for them. Put that game on a neutral court or at the MC, and does Utah win? Considering their road record? Hmmm. Good question, eh?

And does anybody really believe that Portland is better than Gonzaga?

Upsets happen, people. And often the team that does win is the better team.

But not always.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 2, 2014 6:08 p.m.

This was Collinsworth's best game as a Cougar... Bar none.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 2, 2014 4:54 p.m.

This was Collingsworth's best game since becoming a BYU Cougar... He is starting to hit his free throws and he is not turning the ball over nearly as much... He always has been the best Defender on the team and he has always been a solid rebounder... Still needs to work on his pull-up mid range shots and his 3 point shots... If he could hit the 3 point shots at a decent clip he would be a very tough guard... Even more so than he is today.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2014 4:29 p.m.

RockOn

Better team isn't determined by one head-to-head matchup, but by overall season results.

Does anybody, besides the crimson glasses wearers, honestly believe that Utah was better than Stanford in football or is better than UCLA in basketball?

Guaranteed, despite Utah's win over UCLA in SLC, the Bruins will be heavy favorites to beat Utah in Pauley Pavilion. BYU would also be favored in a rematch with Utah in the Marriott Center.

• Alpiner Alpine, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 4:15 p.m.

If they want to be an elite team the scoring load will have to be more evenly distributed. It is nice to have the high scoring of Haws and the recognition that comes to him and the school but they need to have 6 solid players who can all score. The old saying was, Who is the only person that could consistently keep Michael Jordan below 20 points per game? The answer - Dean Smith.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 3:47 p.m.

As to my Cougars being better than Utah... scoreboard folks. Utah beat BYU period. Give Coach K credit. He's assembled a good team and they've barely lost to some good teams and clobbered BYU. None of this coulda, woulda, shoulda!

Glad to see BYU finally beat SMU!Haws is amazing and when this team plays like it can, when Carlino plays within himself and KC makes his FTs, and Mike loses weak knees, it's a Tourney team. Go Cougars.

AND... what the heck is with two women announcing the game???? Talk about patronizing. I don't think anyone who hasn't played at the level of the game shown has no business being the commentator. Beth Mower is fine, but get a equal-level commentator who knows what men's BB on the Univ. level is really like. This is no place for politics.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Feb. 2, 2014 2:16 p.m.

One thing this season demonstrates is the steady stream of talent that BYU basketball has going over every school in the WCC except Gonzaga. Most WCC schools seem to go outside the main stream of talent to find players, like CSM and its players from Australia. I notice that a lot of schools, that CSM used to beat are now recruiting in Australia, which has a much smaller talent pool than California, Texas, Florida, even the Northeast. Once the big boys discover your hidden sources of talent they start looking there too. Just like the old WAC/MWC, BYU will always be a steadying influence even in down years.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 2, 2014 1:54 p.m.

Star Bright,
    I agree. I'm a male but don't like women commenting on men's major sports. I HATE women doing play-by-play in football. One of these ladies does comments a lot in football and it drives me crazy they have a person doing a sports game she has never played. There is such a lack of insight to a game. I was listening to KSL instead and when I started to listen to ESPN, I about died when I heard two women commenting. I listened for 5 minutes then turned back to KSL. Nail on the chalkboard can only last so long.

I like women commenting on sports like ice skating and gymnastics, but not basketball. It just feels wrong and I've found lacks a lot of excitement.

• keepittruthful Draper, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 12:06 p.m.

I don't remember St Mary's ever being ranked this year! Colorado was, but did lose a major player to injury. Imagine if Haws was lost for the season, how would BYU fair? Coolie, right on, starter need to be on the bench in late game garbage time. Oh, and worf you seem to forget that Utah and BYU have already played this season. I think Utah won that game by a slight margin of 17 points (81-64). BYU needs to be in a better basketball conference. I thought the PAC-12 officals were bad, but compared to the WCC, WOW!!!! Watch the NCAA Tournament this year, the WCC schools like the great Zags will be out in the first round because the didn't bring THEIR officials with them. BYU should consider getting back into the MWC for basketball. The cheap shot WCC is not a good conference for BYU.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 12:02 p.m.

Wish Coach Rose, or the Athletic Director Holmoe could talk to the league about officials letting the games get so physical, it is not Rugby. St. Mary's is led by a fiery Coach who teaches the physical stuff, condones it...it is a way to overcome lack of basketball skill, but totally lacking class to try to win by beating up on whoever the opponent is.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 11:19 a.m.

After so many close losses earlier in the season it's looking like mental toughness is now beginning to develop in this team.

Looking forward to this last stretch of the season. Time to really kick it in gear.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2014 10:50 a.m.

worf

"BYU is currently a better team than Utah."

That's not even debatable.

#47 BYU(15-9) #15 SOS, with FIVE Top 100 wins including 3 road/neutral sites
    #108 Utah(14-7) #171 SOS, with three Top 100 wins, winless on the road this season

• yabuts Springville, utah
    Feb. 2, 2014 10:47 a.m.

Q WOLF:

Thank you for your profound and astute observation! You have a remarkable insight.

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 10:06 a.m.

I was at the game, and it was an awesome game. I also watched Texas vs Kansas and was cheering for Texas. Good job Cougs.

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 8:42 a.m.

Go Cougars!!!!!!! Come-from-behind stories are the best!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 2, 2014 8:32 a.m.

St. Mary has a better basketball team than Colorado.

Utah loss to Colorado, and BYU beat St. Mary.

Therefore, BYU is currently a better team than Utah.

Period!

• Coolio SLC, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 3:38 a.m.

Nice win for the Cougars, but Rose has got to get his starters out of the game earlier. I saw this the other night as well, the late game altercations. If you have a 16 point lead with under 2 minutes to play, I think its safe to get your guys out. Injuries and cheap shots are all that can happen at that point. Classier to get those guys out as well. Haws already had 30, he didn't need two more on the flagrant free throws. When a team is down big late and they still see the other starters on the floor bad things happen.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 2, 2014 1:52 a.m.

Great game all around. Collinsworth has really stepped it up, particularly with his FT shooting. They finally showed some toughness and fought hard to get back in the game. Only concern are the points in the paint. Someone needs to show our bigs how to force a player back to their weak hand. Waldo went right all game long and was never forced back to his left hand. Other than that, great game.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 1:33 a.m.

That had to be one of the most physical games of basketball I've seen in a long time. I'm surprised that all of the big men hadn't fouled out by half time, both for BYU and St. Mary's.

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    Feb. 2, 2014 1:26 a.m.

With the season closing in, it's great timing experiencing how to finish! Should bode well for upcoming WCC tournament!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 2, 2014 12:17 a.m.

Haws is on a scoring tear lately, and contributed on the boards tonight.

I can't figure out what provoked the SM guy to take a cheap punch at Mika.

It was also apparent that the officials loved Waldo and were going to put him on the foul line with every opportunity.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Feb. 2, 2014 12:07 a.m.

Great win for the cougs on ESPN!! They battled hard and played better defense after the first 10 mins!! Well done, proud to be a cougar!! Keep up the intensity on D and let's make it to the big dance!!
    Go Cougs and Go Broncos!!

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2014 11:53 p.m.

13 point win over a quality St. Mary's team would be considered a blowout. Nice 2nd half D Cougs. You are peaking at the right time. Haws showed us why he is the premier player in the state and possibly the west. This win will put BYU back n the NCAA if they can finish strong.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2014 11:35 p.m.

Way to come back from a 14 point deficit Cougs. That is a mark of a good team that can show patience and not panic. Haws showed why he is clearly the best player in the state and 3rd best in the country scoring wise. The Cougs turned up the defensive heat in the 2nd half and held St. Mary's to 38%. And who said that BYU could not play defense. Rose coached a great game and made the adjustments necessary to shut the other team down.
    There was another team in the state that gave up a 12 point lead. That is the mark of, welL I won't go there.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 1, 2014 11:24 p.m.

Good win Cougars! Didn't like how the game started for the Cougs, but they hung in there, stayed calm and got back in it. I'm glad that they went man-to-man defense because it's a better defense to run (when executed right) if you want to contest 3 point shots. 1-3-1 zone left to many holes for uncontested 3 point shooters so man-to-man was refreshing and BYU was aggressive with it. In other news, #25 Texas beat #6 Kansas by almost 20 points. BYU's win over Texas has proven to be a pretty solid win this season.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 1, 2014 11:22 p.m.

Great game tonight. Free throw shooting: 75% Cougars Win!

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Feb. 1, 2014 11:17 p.m.

Onward and Upward

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 1, 2014 11:03 p.m.

Haws is BY FAR the best player in Utah. Nice win tonight by the Cougars! The Walrus got beat.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 1, 2014 10:53 p.m.

I've always hated watching Waldow play. It seems he gets away with EVERYTHING. And you can't play defense against him or you get called for the foul. He can throw his shoulder all night long without consequence.

Regardless, it's great to see the Cougars battle back after falling behind so early. They weathered the storm and whittled away until they were back in the game. Very different story compared to some other games where they fell behind so quickly.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Feb. 1, 2014 10:24 p.m.

I don't want to listen to two women broadcast the BYU game. Sorry, I am a woman but with male sports I want male voices. So I expect when women are playing basketball to hear 2 male voices broad casting their game. No?
    I guess it sounds petty, but too bad!