Opinion

Want to hear something funny? Hollywood thinks rape fits the bill

Comments

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Jan. 30, 2014 10:29 a.m.

Who are the sponsors of the most filthy shows? If I am supporting these businesses, then, indirectly, I am supporting these shows. How can I find out who the worst offenders are? Is there a list?

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Jan. 29, 2014 4:12 p.m.

I don't watch TV on a regular basis, so I was no surprised that I was unaware of the persuasiveness of these types of jokes.

When the particular TV shows in question were listed, I was even less surprised. There are very valid reasons why I watch none of those shows.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Jan. 28, 2014 11:43 a.m.

This is just one reason I don't have a TV. Most of it is crude, vulgar, inane, silly, filthy, violent, superficial and the list goes on and on and on. How can anyone with any respect for their brain, infect it with this mental poison. I'd rather read a good book.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 28, 2014 11:16 a.m.

Happy Valley Heretic,

Agreed we can (and should) change the channel - but the point is this becomes pervasive in the national consciousness. It is mental (I can't bear to say intellectual) fodder for the young who tend more to watch those shows.

You are absolutely right that we need to address rape on campus, in the military, and in the workplace. But none of that will be fully successful until we address it in the media.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:25 a.m.

I'm worried less about tasteless jokes on tv shows, (which are tasteless shows to begin with) and more about how rape is actually handled on universities and in our military, the "don't tell" or report it, because it's bad for business is a larger problem.
    Lets do something about actual rape. (not to be confused with "legitimate Rape") before we get all indignant about dumb TV shows, that you don't have to watch.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 28, 2014 6:48 a.m.

Spot on. Thank you Ms. Collins.