Faith

Jewish rabbi reflects on attending Mormon Arizona temple open house

Comments

• Still a Mormon Greenfield, IN
    Jan. 28, 2014 9:30 a.m.

Unless you believe in syncretic religion I do not think it makes much sense to read the texts of other religions for the sake of better understanding your own. Not because their beliefs are invalid but because you may very well begin to belief something that your religion officially opposes and that simply does not fit.

I do think studying other world views is important and I encourage everyone to do so. I just believe that consistency is very very important. I believe that inconsistent beliefs put stress on the believers and that is unhealthy behavior.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Jan. 27, 2014 12:17 p.m.

OMM and Craig Clark should read the New Testament and the 13th Article of faith and read or listen to the Conference as cval suggested.

With regards to CC's comment: "It's more important for Mormons to accept them as fellow Christians without regard to theological differences. That's more in the true spirit of what Jesus taught us."

CC needs to read the rebukes Jesus gave the Saducees and the Pharisees and anybody that did not agree with Him. He called them hypocrites. That's not very Christian, is it? Also, God, or Jesus, sent the flood to destroy the wicked. That's not very "Christian" either.

CC is right though, Jesus did teach us to love one another and forgive one another but He did not teach us to embrace each other's doctrine. If I have mis-interpreted your comment, I'm sorry.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 4:47 p.m.

I'm not sure we're still on the subject. But it seems to me the last sentence of the 13th Article of Faith answers some of the concerns expressed in earlier comments: "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." Those can be found in people in all walks of life. The counterpoint of that is our desire to share with others the worthy aspects of the LDS Faith, which is one of the purposes of pre-dedication temple tours.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:55 a.m.

Open Minded Mormon,

"We can't expect respect from others, unless we give respect 1st."
    ______________________________

Well said. Some Mormons ventilate too much about others who don't regard them as Christians. It shouldn't matter what other Christians think or say. It's more important for Mormons to accept them as fellow Christians without regard to theological differences. That's more in the true spirit of what Jesus taught us.

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:17 a.m.

OMM Said:

Agreed.

When do we ever hear --

"I believe in Mormonism. But I think we can all learn from our Muslim neighbors and many other worldviews,"
    or
    Jewish nieghbors,
    or
    Buddahist neighbors,
    or
    Hindu neighbors....

It's Karma, and Jesus taught us to use it --
    What goes around, comes around.
    We can't expect respect from others, unless we give respect 1st.

If you have not heard current LDS leaders, including Thomas S. Monson and Gordon B. Hinckley make comments in this vein, you are just not listening. It is a common and recurring theme in Conference talks, and has been for some time.

• Daniel Leifker San Francisco, CA
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:05 a.m.

The rabbi's comment about "arguing with God" was very interesting to me. It reminds me of what I learned as a kid from a wise old woman: that religion, at its foundation, is more about growth than obedience.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:53 a.m.

Craig Clark
    Boulder, CO
    "I believe in Judaism. But I think we can all learn from our Mormon neighbors and many other worldviews,"

========

Agreed.

When do we ever hear --

or
    Jewish nieghbors,
    or
    Buddahist neighbors,
    or
    Hindu neighbors....

It's Karma, and Jesus taught us to use it --
    What goes around, comes around.
    We can't expect respect from others, unless we give respect 1st.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:30 a.m.

______________________________

I love to hear comments like that from religious leaders of different traditions. I'd love to hear more comments like that from Mormon leaders. That's the way the world ought to be.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    Jan. 24, 2014 1:33 a.m.

It would have been interesting to know what he thought and how he felt after his visits. Not real informative.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Jan. 23, 2014 2:14 p.m.

I had the pleasure to photograph inter-faith presentations/discussions with Rabbi Schneider noted in the linked article while I lived in Dallas. He is a remarkable individual who took time answering questions from LDS and Muslim guests at their synagogue in Alpha Rd. It was nice to see that he also now has had the experience of such a similar experience in an LDS Temple in his new city of service. Good man - Shalom !

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Jan. 23, 2014 1:53 p.m.

I believe a common misconception that many religious people hold is thinking that wisdom can only be found in their own tradition. Jews read the writings of other Jews, Christians read the writings of other Christians, Buddhists read the writings of other Buddhists. In fact, sometimes within a faith, people limit their study to those who agree with them. Orthodox Jews and liberal Jews often do not read each other’s teachings; evangelical Christians and liberal Christians feel they have nothing to teach one another. When we limit our reading to our own, we are closing our minds.

========

Ah-men!

...and left leaning Mormons are shunned and castigated by right leaning Mormons.