Family

'Blackfish' making waves for SeaWorld

Comments

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:23 p.m.

Haven't seen Blackfish yet, but whenever I sit down for a documentary, I automatically assume I'm only going to hear half the truth.

That said, can't wait to take my family to SeaWorld this spring!

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    Jan. 22, 2014 1:40 p.m.

Very sad how conservatives, who justify nearly every social position with "that's what my God says is right", will so readily throw out our mandate to be stewards of this planet when it suits their needs.

For us religious folks, it is evident we will not only be judged by how we treat our fellow humans but also how we treat our animals and planet in general; so it is impossible for an individual to claim to follow God and simultaneously support institutions such as SeaWorld.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 8:20 a.m.

@USNGary
    San Diego, CA

"These animals being held captive have a better life than I do. They get fed on a regular basis without having to go hunt for it. They are seen by medical personnel a lot more than I am. such is the life...."

No matter how plush and comfy you make it, a prison is still a prison, and loss of liberty is a central function of it. And for those who draw parallels to our cats and dogs, remember that orcas are wild animals that have never been domesticated, and they have a huge natural environment in which they can survive and prosper.

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:21 p.m.

I predict increased attendance at SeaWorld due to the media exposure.

"I don't care what they say about me, just make sure they spell my name right!" is how P.T. Barnum replied to the media critics in his day.

• Conner Johnson
    Jan. 21, 2014 6:45 p.m.

Thank you NETFLIX!!

• dogmanaut OREM, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:11 p.m.

@midvale guy -- I think you're misreading what was meant by mentioning "Bowling for Columbine" and "Super Size Me." The author was not stating that those are the giants of the genre, but that they are the exceptions to the general rule that documentaries attract only the smallest of niche audiences.

As far as bias goes, of course documentary films are biased. So is every high school lecture, textbook, and news report. That doesn't mean there isn't still value in watching/listening to/reading them, provided you can do so with a critical eye.

• midvale guy MIDVALE, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 4:38 p.m.

I will definitely be continuing to visit SeaWorld. I don't believe everything somebody writes or makes a film about to be true just because they took the time to do it. If Bowling for Columbine and Supersize Me are the giants of this genre then count me out. I watch plenty of documentaries and if anyone cannot see the bias in any of these movies they must be out of touch with reality. These are highly editorialized films because if they weren't they would be as boring as a high school lecture.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Some people don't care what goes on behind the curtain, just as long as they are entertained, or save a dollar.

Suppose these are the same conservatives who would decry the end of whale hunting for oil to light their lamps.

• Smart Cookie Kissimmee, FL
    Jan. 21, 2014 11:52 a.m.

I am not seeing the point to printing this article at this time. Much of the information in the article is out of date. Bloomberg’s report of dwindling park attendance and falling stock prices are both a fallacy. SeaWorld’s fourth quarter attendance was at record levels. SeaWorld's stock price is up 11% for the past three months.

The protests that occurred on December 22 which is mentioned in the article were measly at best, the largest these protests was in Orlando, where reportedly dozens participated; this on a day that nearly 20,000 people attended SeaWorld.

Why did the article include information that Blackfish was shortlisted for an academy award? The actual nominations came out and Blackfish was not nominated? This article seems like it is an effort to demonize SeaWorld through yellow journalism techniques.

The documentary is full of errors. Two trainers featured in the documentary have come out and claimed they were misled and edited to look like they were saying things they are not.
    Please go to MiceChat or SeaWorld's website to find out more information on the propaganda found in Blackfish.

Timp, how do they treat their employees? Please do tell, as my friends work there.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 11:37 a.m.

We should free all the animals at sea world. also every animal in every zoo, every home, every animal shelter. we should stop killing cows and chickens. this is all animal cruelty.

• dogmanaut OREM, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 11:21 a.m.

I'm surprised by some of these reactions. First, to the people commenting without having seen the documentary, you should watch it. It's a very well-made film that cogently argues for why orcas, specifically, should not be kept captive. That's kind of key here -- the filmmakers aren't arguing for SeaWorld to set all their animals free. In fact, if I remember correctly from an interview with the director, she's not even of the opinion that SeaWorld should set their orcas free. What she said, as I recall, is just that it should phase out the Shamu shows and stop its breeding program. Given situations like the ones presented in the film, that seems pretty reasonable. "Free the whales" and "stop endangering people's lives" are two different things, so let's not conflate the two unnecessarily.

The other thing that bears mentioning is that the director is NOT an animal rights activist. Her background is entirely as a documentary filmmaker. She happened to see a weird story (the death of a SeaWorld trainer) and decided to investigate. If her conclusions don't resonate with you, fine, but don't dismiss her on false grounds.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:29 a.m.

I'm the farthest thing from an animal lover or a liberal hippee, ect..

However, I watched Blackfish last week and I too, won't ever spend a dime at Sea World ever again.

Wasn't just how the orcas were treated. Also how they treated their employees.

But to each their own.

• goducks SANTA CLARA, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:28 a.m.

If I were in prison, I would get fed, and I wouldn't have to work for it! What a wonderful life that would be!

Keeping these magnificent social creatures, with their flopped over dorsal fin, in small pools just for our entertainment? There will be a time humans will look back at our time in shock and awe.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:54 a.m.

I fish for salmon in the beautiful fjord that is Rivers Inlet, B.C every summer.
    While there are several orca varieties, those are the "Northern Resident Orca", as opposed to the "transient" orca seen swimming onto shore to chase seals in Patagonia and parts south.

To see pods of these magnificent animals in their element is amazing. But they are programmed to stay on the move. They never stop moving and can cover 40+ miles in a day.
    Keeping one in a swimming pool is insane.

Try to find evidence of an orca killing a human in the wild...almost impossible. The only Orca that kill humans are captives.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:12 a.m.

I'm also tired of people making so much out of so little, trying to generate strife and antagonism over emotive reasoning. Oatmeal, besides tasting wonderful, said everything I could ever say.

My family and I went to Seaworld when I was training in San Antonion, and it was awesome. They contribute many resources to marine conservation and inspire people, especially children, to take an interest in marine life.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 4:22 a.m.

Free Willy, part 2. Who hasn't had gold fish.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 11:00 p.m.

Love Sea World!

Keep up the good work

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:46 p.m.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 9:09 p.m.

Disclaimer: I have not seen the film.

That said, I am annoyed by all the outrage. Are all these animal rights activists the same folks that keep dogs and cats "captive" in their home and dress them up in clothes? Or are these the PETA folks who call the Crocodile Hunter's death poetic justice for "annoying" so many animals during his life? Or is it the type that want all animal abuse to be a felony? (It may be wrong to abuse animals, but should it be considered a more serious crime than many, many serious crimes committed against individuals or society? I think not.)

Suffice it to say I doubt Sea World is perfect in their care of these animals - just like I doubt any zoo is. However, I believe they make an effort. If for no other reason than their profitability would be severely hurt if the animal's health deteriorated too early. Besides, being entertained by these very intelligent animals and seeing them up close may give us a greater appreciation for them. It may cause us to support conservation efforts and reasonable protections for these beautiful animals.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:56 p.m.

Saw the documentary... it is garbage. Keep taking your kids to Sea World if you want to. I am getting very tired of activists promoting over-emotionalized documentaries. Many Americans are just so separated from real life they think every creature should live in an idealized fantasy world. Are there problems with any species kept in captivity? Yes. What is it like in the natural world? Survival of the fittest... and imagine how rough that is.

• KTar Boise, ID
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:07 p.m.

I'll never give Sea World a dime. Those crooks ought to be thrown in jail...