Audience sees new side of Mitt Romney in Sundance documentary

• HotGlobe SAN RAFAEL, CA
    Feb. 3, 2014 3:03 p.m.

It has been so sad that all the people who wanted to love Mitt had to think of him as he really was. Now there is an approved version that will warm their hearts and make them see him as he really wants to be seen. All that unpleasant stuff about dogs on car roofs, the haircut bully, hating 47%, etc., etc., who wants to see all that when we can watch him taking out the garbage?

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:03 a.m.

These comments are very telling about the effectiveness of the Obama campaign in painting a very good, compassionate man as aloof and elitist and out of touch with America's mainstream. Good for them in running a convincing campaign, and shame on the Romney campaign for not doing a better job of conveying the true strengths of their candidate.

I would offer the suggestion that they study the principles taught by Simon Sinek in his book, "Start with Why" (check out his lecture in the TED series). The genuine article is pretty good stuff. Had the electorate been allowed to see the real Romney, rather than the "manufactured" version his campaign designed, or the scare tactic one the Obama campaign claimed he was, I think he well may have won. Sadly, we'll never know.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:51 a.m.

"I have no doubt that it Romney had been elected millions more Americans would have jobs."

RBB, why is that? Why do you think that? What would have he done? Forced businesses to hire? Hired millions of new federal employees? What would have he done? Lowered taxes even more? (Forcing the deficit even higher.) Got rid of regulations? (Which ones, and how would that increase jobs).

" I am a small business owner and I know the damage the current administration is doing."

What damage, specifically, is this administration doing to your small business? You live in Utah, and Utah's economy is very strong right now. Specifically, what is happening to your business?

"he's done nothing more than double-down on Bush's worst policies and reintroduce America to the Jimmy Carter years again."

While I agree that it is unfortunate that some of Bush's terrible policy mistakes are still in place, I wonder what you see as "the Jimmy Carter years again".

I will guarantee one thing, if this was a president with an R after his name, with the exact same economy, you both would be singing its praises.

• sue1951 MAY, TX
    Jan. 20, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Diito! He would have made a great President. Too bad people don't look at the real side

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Jan. 19, 2014 7:50 a.m.

Really Cats? Mitt Romney gave his "entire inheritance" away?

Oh . . . So he didn't benefit from his powerful father Governor George Romney's network of social, political, and business contacts?

I suppose Mitt just struck off on his own at the age of five, and knew nothing about servants, or private schools . . . He diligently sold matchbooks on a corner in Detroit while making canny business decision until he had enough money to put himself through Harvard.

Are you sure Mitt Romney gave his entire inheritance away?

• Clinton Draper, UT
    Jan. 19, 2014 7:02 a.m.

@KJB1 I have to admit, I'm curious what actions Obama has taken that cause you to feel like he's the right man? As far as I can tell, he's done nothing more than double-down on Bush's worst policies and reintroduce America to the Jimmy Carter years again.

Anyway, regarding "Mitt," I look forward to seeing the movie and hope it shows America what it missed out on. I think Mitt Romney had the capacity and knowledge to help America get back on its feet economically. It is a shame that we tend to play team sports in our politics and allow envy to make decisions for us rather than voting for someone based on skills and integrity.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 11:25 p.m.

Midwest Mom,

I think a guy who gives 29% of his income to charity understands the needs out there. However, the best way out of poverty is to get a job, not to get welfare. I have no doubt that it Romney had been elected millions more Americans would have jobs. I am a small business owner and I know the damage the current administration is doing.

• azreader1 tucson, AZ
    Jan. 18, 2014 10:05 p.m.

Santa Monica, CA

I think the reason that we are fortunate enough to have brilliant and beautiful people like the Obama's. . . ".

Wow -- what else can be said?

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:37 p.m.

@ xert, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I hope you are.

@ Ed Grady, Have you seen the film? Do you know Mitt Romney personally? Just wondering.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:33 p.m.

"but what he's done with that position is pretty impressive in the eyes of most rational people."

Uh. . . No. I've never found people particularly impressive just because they make a bunch of money. Especially when they make it like Romney. Nah, there's really nothing terribly impressive here. You want to see a movie about somebody that's impressive? Do you? Go see Lone Survivor. Maybe you'll understand what impressive is.

"On the flip side, imagine if a camera had followed President Obama around for the past 6 years"

Yeah? I imagine it would show that he's a very good family man, just like Mitt. What's your point?

Now what would make this an interesting movie is if the camera had been allowed to follow Mitt when he was working. Actually if they had covered the campaign, or when he was Governor, or even better when he was working at Baine. Now there we would have had a movie. And then we might have an accurate portrayal of Mitt's character.

• brotherJonathan SLC, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:45 p.m.

I believe that Mitt tries to do what is right. Any public official that remains silent having clear proof that corporate political contributions are for the purpose of influencing those officials is deceived and not honoring their constitutional oath of office. Which plainly says and implies that bribery is a crime and violates citizen equality. This equality is our highest principle to govern all laws.
    I am an intelligent, educated human being; why would you say I'm a sheep?
    (Because you needed me to tell you the difference between right and wrong.)
    Bribery is a violation of Constitutional equality, under all laws, by its citizen members.
    This principle is known by most all members of our group, but because of instinct-Satan, awareness of the sin or immorality of its supported use is taken from the individual's beliefs and logic, because of survival risks to status quo operations in current reality.
    BRIBERY: The offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:37 p.m.

We let a great opportunity slip away in 2012 in favor of 'the devil we know.' Pathetic. I'll be interested to see the movie.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 7:23 p.m.

It's nice to tell the truth now. Thank you!

It was despicable and dishonest of the Democrats and their accomplices in the media to knowingly spread the lies and half-truths bout Mitt Romney during the campaign.

• ZorroPC Park City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 5:25 p.m.

Mitt is why Mitt lost. he did not offer a stark contrast to Obama. His politics where as Reagan said pale pastel. Obama wanted to tax the rich, Romney said he would tax the rich and railed against the 1%. Obama had Obamacare, written by the the author of Romneycare. Romney lost because he got less conservative votes and in fact less LDS votes than McCain got. Romney appealed to the so called independents and lost the base. He made be a nice guy, but his politics are not conservative and that is why he is unemployed.

• waikiki_dave Honolulu, HI
    Jan. 18, 2014 5:06 p.m.

Is Mitt planning to run for office again? Someone please explain to me why it is necessary to create a film about a GOP candidate who lost in 2012? DN I would appreciate it if you would not delete my comment. I am really curious why this movie is news.

• Spud City Idaho Bonneville, ID
    Jan. 18, 2014 4:57 p.m.

Mitt Romney flip-flopped his entire career. As governor of a liberal state he took liberal positions and supported abortion, gay rights, and health care for all citizens. As a presidential candidate he disavowed his record as governor,and ran instead as a Tea Party puppet who refused to challenge conservatives that booed gay veterans but cheered for the uninsured to die. There is nothing moral or courageous about Mitt Romney.

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Jan. 18, 2014 4:53 p.m.

The REAL man.
    This is nothing people want in our time, voting on image is what they get.

And all this complaining here about if IF he could have won, does not any good either.
    He has to be a good man coming from we know Who, but...what good does this to be the president.

He did not take a universal position back then,
    and no after math can ever rebuild what has been done to the church in the eyes of the world.

If you are LDS and run for president, you do never have a set back because of propaganda of the other side. Either you can include your enemy or you have no enemy to deal with in the first place. So he lost, because he had to.
    He was to represent the church if he liked it or not, and that job was a good failure at best.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Jan. 18, 2014 4:50 p.m.

Quickmatch said: "he lacks empathy, inborn, or even acquired. Without those traits I don't see how an individual can take the helm of a ship of state where a quarter of the passengers are forced to steerage berths."

I hope that you are not going to tell me that the current POTUS has empathy -- inborn or acquired.

• Chilidog Somewhere, IL
    Jan. 18, 2014 3:21 p.m.

Cats wrote: "Dear Ed Grady: Mitt's success is self-made. He donated his entire inheritance to BYU. "

Maybe. I rather suspect that George used a number of trusts and other means prior to his death to pass along his wealth. Further, Mitt claims that he gave some of the money to his kids (or rather I suspect that George and Mitt set up some dynasty trusts to pass along the wealth). Given the status of estate taxes back then, I would be very, very, surprised if George didn't have a number of trusts set up prior to his death to manage his estate. Trusts that would not have been technically "Inheritance" since the money was transferred prior to George's death.

But, since Mitt have never been that revealing about his tax returns, we will never know, now will we?

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 2:49 p.m.

Former President Bush said, "Do you miss me, yet"? Mitt says, "Woulda, coulda...you shoulda, America."

We know him as a great family man and a very descent person. One can only wonder what would have happened if those Republicans who stayed home (who had voted for McCain previously) had shown up at the polls. Mitt will always be remembered as the man who should have been President. Obama will go sown in history as the first Black President, but after that...who knows what history will say?

• brotherJonathan SLC, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 2:49 p.m.

I believe that Mitt tries to do what is right. Any public official that remains silent about clear proof that corporate political contributions for the purpose of influencing our public officials is anything other than bribery is deceived and not honoring their oaths to uphold our constitution. Which plainly says and implies that bribery is a crime and violates citizen equality. This equality is our highest principle to govern all laws. Why we don't as a people and as sworn representatives defend this law/principle is not understood my most individuals. Citizens that do understand keep their mouths shut.
    Human instinct's power over the flesh, so to speak is why. To challenge status quo operations is a risky business, if you are an immoral, selfish, survival based mechanism of every subconscious mind. Bribery cannot be made lawful: under any circumstances: we don't seem to know right from wrong because our logic and beliefs are flawed and awareness of the sin or immorality of our silent support for this practice is taken from our choices by instinct which happens to be another name for Satan, by necessity has authority over the flesh. For survival. Do what is right.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 1:22 p.m.

@ KJB1

ya because Obama has done such a great job... really?

• jonjonhill elverson, PA
    Jan. 18, 2014 1:02 p.m.

It may be a little late to win votes for a 2012 election but it is never to late to tell the truth about a fine, devoted and hard working family man and change the hearts of the American people's view of the Romney family and the Mormon Church in general. Eye opener and moving!

• Willem Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 18, 2014 12:35 p.m.

He may have been a great family man but he appeared completely out of touch with the average American, and thats why we now have a great president in Barak Obama who cares for all,the rich and the poor.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Oh good!

So the Mitt Romney fan club (which will love him no matter what he says or does) will watch this movie showing a false version of Mitt Romney. Meanwhile, the rest of America will carry on remembering the real Mitt Romney: A really rich spoiled guy completely out of touch with the middle-class, who said and did anything and everything in attempts to win the Presidency. He flip flopped so often that I don't think even Mitt knew what he stood for. In the end, he was just another puppet for the right wing.

The right person won the White House. I just wonder how many more years we'll have to read articles on the Dnews about Mitt, a failed Presidential candidate. I don't recall endless articles writing about McCain, Kerry, Gore, or Dole.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2014 11:32 a.m.

Mitt's 47% comment left me really cold. I listened to it again and again, trying to hear it differently. But every time it came out, I thought...he really holds a lot of people in contempt. The poor, the old, the disabled, the jobless, the unlucky, and the young who are trying to make it but need a little help with college and food and health care. I am none of those people myself, thank heaven, but I'm glad to say I don't share Romney's opinion--- so characteristic of the country club Republican world he grew up in.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 11:29 a.m.

It amazes me to see how many people have been taken in by Romney's perfidity, and bought into his etch-a-sketch attempts to repaint himself whenever his calumny and deficiencies became known. People found the truth about him, regardless how hard he tried to hide it, and THANKFULLY rejected him and sent him packing. I don't know if he could have been as bad as GWBush -- the worst President the US has ever had -- but he would have come close. He is a vulture capitalist working only for himself, and the description of him as an untruthful, greedy, out of touch, heartless human being who could not relate to others is accurate.

This "documentary" is nothing more than just one more attempt to rehabilitate him and hide what he really is. Hopefully it will not succeed.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 11:17 a.m.

During the Olympics, he reported that he works out 6 hours a day: that is not someone I want to learn more about: I wish everyone had 6 hours a day to work out. First a cookbook full of family pictures, now a movie, what is next?

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 18, 2014 11:09 a.m.

Mitt Romeny relates to people at the country club and nowhere else. That's why he lost - most Americans don't hang out at country clubs.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Jan. 18, 2014 10:48 a.m.

I will watch the movie, just to give the man a chance. Candidate Romney's in-person performance in my state was a man who spent Sunday giving out free sandwiches at a restaurant and spoke negatively about workers, congratulating Scott Walker for destroying unions. I think that Mitt's father would not have agreed, being the man who introduced collective bargaining in his state.

Now George Romney is a man I could have voted for -- a good Christian man with an eye more towards Main Street than Wall Street.

BTW -- other criticisms of this moving say that it helps make Mitt look more like a regular guy, but that it also shows that he and his family spend no time talking about the poor or healthcare. Lots of time talking about business. I've said it before, a President needs to listen to all corners of society, not just the ones with big wallets.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 18, 2014 10:12 a.m.

I think the reason that we are fortunate enough to have brilliant and beautiful people like the Obama's (who have never, in the last six years done anything to embarrass the country)--is that America had every single chance it needed to get to know Mitt Romney. And it didn't like what it saw. Haircuts to unwilling classmates, not releasing taxes, Rafalka and her prancing hooves, a laughable European trip and "corporations are people, my friend." And the debates, where he seemed to give up after the first strong effort. I have a strong feeling that I would see this film and feel exactly the same about Mitt. No animosity, no real dislike, but a genuine mistrust. This is the opposite of what I see when I see our very flawed, but twenty times more impressive President and his graceful, strong, and intelligent First Lady.

• A Quaker Brooklyn, NY
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:53 a.m.

RBB, I don't think many of us who voted against Mitt ever had anything other than respect for his family and church commitments. The biggest problem, in my view, was his foundation and outlook from that segment of the financial industry known as "Private Capital."

Mitt's companies were no worse in any way than others doing the same thing, but he was very good at it, and that thing they were doing was "liberating value" from companies, a destructive formula that sucks the assets out of an enterprise, including pension funds, sells off anything else of value, loads it up with debt, pays itself a huge management fee, and walks away when the husk of the enterprise fails and its workers end up unemployed and impoverished. It's basically a legal form of thievery, cloaked in financial smoke and mirrors.

I didn't see this so-called "vulture capitalism" as a positive credential for a President of a country that needs to continue to build value, rather than just cannibalize everything and funnel the profits to the richest.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:49 a.m.

Pondering if there has ever been another individual who lost the election for POTUS, who has been analyzed, had his campaign re-analyzed, had his life scrutinized, continues to be scrutinized.....
    Are there more movies, documentaries, books headed our way concerning Mitt Romney?

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:21 a.m.

I'm so pleased this film has been made. I know it will be good because Mitt Romney is "good". He has a lot of confidence but he is not arrogant or self-serving. He loves the United States of America, his family and his Church. He believes in God. He is a very honest and upstanding man who would do anything for his country. He is not perfect and does not pretend so. He would have been the best President this United States had. His Integrity is without question and I feel it is a shame he was not given the opportunity to serve the American people. I'm just glad we have him amongst us and I hope I will be able to find a way to see that film.

• quickmatch Oak Park, IL
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:15 a.m.

I'd be interested in viewing the documentary. At this point I think Romney is a good person, true to his beliefs and his moral compass and well intentioned within the scope of his religious and personal experience.

What I saw and read of his beliefs and compass during the campaign led me to believe he has little connection with the greater mass of work-a-day citizens; his connections are with the well to do and not with those whe were born to families without wealth, connection or favored contacts. His treatment concerning even a schoolmate who appeared different causes me to believe he lacks empathy, inborn, or even acquired. Without those traits I don't see how an individual can take the helm of a ship of state where a quarter of the passengers are forced to steerage berths.

Perhaps the documentary can change my mind. But if there were moments in the campaign where other sides and depths of Romney were exposed, and not included, the documentary becomes a sham product for his glorification.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:09 a.m.

"born on 3rd base who think they've hit a triple."

A person's accomplishments cannot be lauded if they come from means? He may have started on 3rd base, but what he's done with that position is pretty impressive in the eyes of most rational people. You sound envious.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:05 a.m.

I want to see it and I did't vote for Romney, but I wonder if it would of made a difference in the election.

I do not think anybody was questioning whether he was a family man. Some may have had a problem with is religion but most peoples views are set on religion by the time they can vote. So I doubt this documentary would of changed their mind if they had issues with the LDS faith.

The problem with Romney is he had to go further right than he really wanted to in the republican primaries. In addition the primaries dragged out longer and this cost him money and time.

And the 47 percent comment didn't help either. It is funny that he said 47 percent do not pay income taxes considering he does not pay income tax either. He pays capital gains tax.

Jan. 18, 2014 8:55 a.m.

America deserves the president it elects.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:49 a.m.

Romney may be a nice person, but I know plenty of nice people who I'd want nowhere near the Oval Office. I still have no doubt in my mind that the right man won.

• jscmomof4 Zebulon, NC
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:46 a.m.

I can't wait to see this documentary about a true statesmen, not a politician. Mitt Romney was the right man in 2012 and were it not for cheating, voter suppression, and fraud, he would be our sitting President. He will be even more needed in 2016. Please run again, Mitt! Your character, integrity, moral fiber and decency are exactly what we need. You are the real deal and you would have my complete support once again!!! Everything that is worth it, is never easy....please sacrifice again for the good of this nation!!! God Bless You and your family!!! This nation doesn't deserve your goodness but we sorely need your business acumen and truly need a Statesmen, not a politician.

• fani wj, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Ann and Mitt are great people, I can't wait to see MITT

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:16 a.m.

While Mitt was born on third base, he took his own turn at bat and hit a home run. While I do not agree with some of his political positions, it is hard to look down on with a guy who has been an allstar in the business world, gave thousands of hours in community/church service and has a tight-knit family. Envy is one of the worst diseases affecting Americans today.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 8:14 a.m.

Dear Ed Grady: Mitt's success is self-made. He donated his entire inheritance to BYU. What he has he has made himself by hard work and persistence. I just think it's so sad that so many people have to put down someone who has spent his entire life in hard work and service to God and others.

• gmk17of TX Arlington, TX
    Jan. 18, 2014 6:28 a.m.

Can't wait to see it. It will be nice for Mitt detractors to see how they were wrong about him.

• redbaron logan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 5:12 a.m.

Sadly, if most Americans had seen this side of him during the election, he could have won. Instead, too many thought he was too fake, too stiff, too contrived. Little did they know he wasn't too good to be true, he was just good and true.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 3:29 a.m.

Thanks Mitt. I hope people are now able to see the real you.

• Thinking_Clearly Sandy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 12:16 a.m.

I look forward to seeing how this unfiltered view of Governor Romney lines matches the picture that was painted in the 2012 election cycle. President Obama based his entire campaign on destroying Romney, I believe the exact phrase for their campaign strategy was actually "kill Romney". Hundreds of millions of dollars were spent to paint Governor Romney as a bad person, a greedy, out of touch, heartless human being who could not relate to others, the Chicago Obama campaign machine certainly succeeded in painting that picture for a majority of Americans. That's politics I guess and unlike other areas of life in politics it often is NOT the best man who wins. I have little doubt that it will show the good, honest and principled person that I believe Governor Romney to be. On the flip side, imagine if a camera had followed President Obama around for the past 6 years, I wonder what character a documentary like that might reveal about the president?

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 17, 2014 11:43 p.m.

I can't wait to watch it. I love movies about people born on 3rd base who think they've hit a triple.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Jan. 17, 2014 10:47 p.m.

I wish I could've seen it tonight. But I will be sure and catch it on Netflix. I understand he never previewed it before it was shown tonight. That's very unusual for any politician.
    Thanks Gov Romney for showing America what a real man is.