BYU basketball: Cougars wary of San Francisco's 3-point shooting

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Jan. 17, 2014 4:24 a.m.

Cottonwood Heights, UT BYU beat Stanford at Stanford in ot who did the utsies beat in the pac whatever answer NOBODY the cougars also took oregon to overtime and barely lost

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Jan. 16, 2014 9:27 p.m.

Once again, it is the WCC. Why should anyone care? The WCC conference stinks plain and simple. Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Pepperdine - don't think so. Get in a legit conference BYU, where anyone in their right mind will pay any attention.

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Jan. 16, 2014 6:29 p.m.

re: cougorute...naah

I agree with the fact that sdsu is putting together a nice season with a great ranking and upset win over Kansas (not really sure I'd even call it an upset), and New Mexico has a good RPI, but lost last night at home to UNLV, but I have no idea why colorado is even in the mix? They have nothing to do with the MWC as they play in the Pac-1?.

The Mountain West also has some pretty lousy teams, and some teams expected to be pretty good like Boise state that just to Wyoming in Boise. The WCC and MWC both have some decent teams, and some bad ones to even things out- although as of last week, the WCC was one of only 2 conferences in the country that had every team above .500 (and no teams below 200 RPI).

MWC: WCC:
    SDSU-15 Gonz-25
    New Mex-33 BYU-51(#5 SOS)
    Boise-65 St. Marys-52
    USU-78 Pacific-76
    Wyoming-84 San Fran-90
    Fresno-123 Pepperdine-124
    Nevada-137 LMU-147
    UNLV-138 Santa Clara-159
    CSU-163 Portland-173 (beat Gonzaga last week)
    AFA-224 San Diego-196
    San Jose-254

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 8:22 p.m.

y's little sister

apparently for byu its true too.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 3:16 p.m.

Anytime BYU loses it is an upset.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Then don't play zone defense!!!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 1:19 p.m.

"...I really like independence. I consider Rose Bowl, NC, etc. as a once in a generation thing for a team not named Stanford, Oregon, UCLA or USC. So if BYU can schedule good teams around the country, I think I'd prefer that."

Meant to mention in my last comment that I completely see your logic in the above statement. I absolutely agree that its pretty silly to think any school outside of the typical national title conversation will crack the code and win one more than once a generation as you said.

And despite the typical banter about Pac 12 versus Independence, I for one think Independence in football works out really well for BYU, as long as scheduling works out (which it typically should). As a fan I'd probably miss seeing my team compete for a conference championship, but the positive is you get to see a variety of match ups around the country from year to year ... pretty cool.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 1:18 p.m.

@BlueHusky-WCC tougher than the MWC? Better check your polls. The AP currently has San Diego State ranked at #10 and Colorado at #21. As far as RPI Colorado checks in at #11, San Diego State #13, and New Mexico at #20. Highest ranked WCC team, Gonzaga at # 23. WCC tougher than the MWC....not so much.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 1:06 p.m.

54 IQ

"The WCC is just brutal. Night after night after night."

From Utah's perspective, that's absolutely true.

9 of the 10 teams in the WCC have a higher RPI ranking than Utah.

btw, before bringing up Utah's upset win over BYU in basketball, just remember that Utah also upset PAC 12 champion Stanford in football. Upsets happen, but they don't define an entire season.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 1:05 p.m.

Despite all the teasing from Ute fans about the small WCC gyms, this is one Ute fan that would agree with you in that those little gyms can really get rockin!
    I don't however think you can take it so far as to say it's any harder to pull out a win in those gyms as it was to win road games in the MWC. Main reason being that BYU has been able to take their home court advantage on the road in two thirds of the gyms they play in. While BYU always gets a local LDS crowd wherever they go, that didn't amount to a crowd size advantage in the MWC.
    Truth is BYU basketball just hasn't been spectacular this year or last. I fully expect them to quit dropping the silly WCC road games in the future outside of Gonzaga and whoever the other hot team is that year.
    Good luck to your cougs, but go Utes!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Sorry, I must have struck a nerve. Otherwise I just don't see why you'd be accusing me of spin when all I said is it will be interesting to see how BYU does when they hit the road again this week. Oh yeah, I also listed each programs actual road record this season... Hmmmm, still don't get why that took you down an entirely different path.
    All your talk about which team's better, ranked higher, or whatever else, is all you man. I succumb to whatever it is you were trying to accomplish with that.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 15, 2014 12:41 p.m.

I agree that I'd rather see BYU in the PAC-12 than the Big 12. But I'm a PAC guy (PAC8, 10, 12).

But I really like independence. I consider Rose Bowl, NC, etc. as a once in a generation thing for a team not named Stanford, Oregon, UCLA or USC. So if BYU can schedule good teams around the country, I think I'd prefer that.

As; for hoops, well, the WCC certainly seems tougher than the MWC was. Those little gyms get up close and personal, for sure.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 15, 2014 11:52 a.m.

BYU is 3-6 (33%) in road/neutral games, SIX games against RPI Top 100 teams

Utah is 0-3 (0%) away from the HC, only TWO games against RPI Top 100 teams

Spin all you want, but current RPI Ranking says it all

#37 BYU
    #166 Utah

Utah's lifetime road record versus PAC 12 teams says even more - 1-19 (5%)

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 11:11 a.m.

Classy comment. I admit my comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but since you mentioned conference preferences...
    I believe you're correct in that BYU would have fallen somewhere in the middle of the PAC 12 the past few years, which is very good company mind you.
    I follow your reasoning for wishing the bball team would somehow join the Big 12 (which would be great for BYU), but I'm one Ute fan that really wouldn't mind seeing the PAC 12 open their arms to BYU someday. While it doesn't ultimately kill the rivalry, there's something missing when BYU and Utah games mean nothing outside of bragging rights between the two. Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see it the next time there are ripples in the collegiate sports landscape.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:38 a.m.

RE: motorbike

"Hmmm, bummer the cougs don't play in the Pac 12 I guess."

I don't know if that was an attempted dig or a concession. Truth is BYU would be a middle-of-the-pack PAC12 team. I'm glad they aren't in the PAC12 but admit that I'd prefer to be in the Big12 or another big-time conference rather than the WCC. Don't get me wrong... the WCC is a very respectable basketball conference and worth football independence, I'm just not a fan of small venues and west-coast games that (with very late starting times for us that live out east). San Fransisco won't be a gimme tonight as BYU is still figuring out who they are, but I do expect a great game and likely another road win. Go Cougs!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:34 a.m.

Considering the disparity in student body size and resources between byu and the rest of the wcc, the cougars shouldn't need luck to win their games, but good luck to them anyway.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:18 a.m.

The WCC is just brutal. Night after night after night.

How do the Cougs manage?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:08 a.m.

"Utah hasn't won a road game against PAC12 competition. BYU has."

Hmmm, bummer the cougs don't play in the Pac 12 I guess.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:04 a.m.

"Utah hasn't won a road game all year. BYU has."

Ouch that really hurt! But lets see, Utah 0-3 on the road, BYU 1-4 on the road. Yeah, I see what you mean, there's a giant difference there.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 9:44 a.m.

Here we go again with that word "WARY". Just keep on playing better defense and score insinde.

• fan in orem Orem, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 9:30 a.m.

How about overall PAC-10.2 record this year? BYU is 1-2 and utah is 1-3.

• Missouri Coug Greenwood, MO
    Jan. 15, 2014 9:04 a.m.

Just make your FREE THROWS boys, and you will win the game....Be sure your coaches are teaching you the CORRECT FORM for shooting free throws, and you will be like T. Haws.....Take a lesson from him....EVERY MISSED FREE THROW is a point thrown away...You can only eat an elephant ONE BITE AT A TIME....Go Cougs....

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 15, 2014 8:08 a.m.

Will be there tonight to witness the "W". It will be packed and very intense at War Memorial. The place where Bill Cartwright, Bill Russell, and K.C. Jones played. You know - one of those little "high school" gyms.

FYI - when BYU comes to town ticket prices go from $15 to $40. Just sayin'.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 15, 2014 8:03 a.m.

additional correction motorbike

Utah hasn't wont a road game against PAC12 competition. BYU has.

• B C Park City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 7:39 a.m.

BYU is 11-7 all-time in WCC road games
    Utah is 1-19 all-time in PAC 12 road games

BYU has as many PAC 12 road wins THIS SEASON, as Utah has in their first THREE seasons in the PAC 12 COMBINED!

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Jan. 15, 2014 7:27 a.m.

Correction motorbike

Utah hasn't won a road game all year. BYU has.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 12:20 a.m.

For all the smack talk about the Utes not winning road games in the Pac 12, it's now time to see if the Cougs can pick up their first road game in the WCC this year.
    I'm betting against it.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 14, 2014 10:27 p.m.

It's do or die time for BYU on this 4-game road swing. Picking up a win at SF would be a good start.