Faith

Why is it OK to mock the Mormons?

Comments

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:06 p.m.

If members of the Church want to end the crass religious bigotry directed towards us, they will have to start standing up for themselves instead of passively letting others walk all over them. However, as the true church of Jesus Christ, we are instead commanded to "turn the other cheek" and suffer persecution in the same way that he did. Thankfully the persecution is not quite as bad today as it was 150 years ago. But as the Church continues to grow and gain a higher profile in the world, and as the world's values continue to diverge so radically away from the Church's, the persecution will only continue to get worse and worse. The voices in the Great and Spacious Building will never be louder than they are in the moments before the Savior's second coming. We have to be prepared for that, because without strong testimonies it will be almost impossible to endure.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:05 p.m.

Finally, even though the LDS Church is one of the most ethnically diverse religious organizations on the planet, because of how relatively recently the Church has begun to expand outside of the United States, the stereotypical Mormon in the eyes of the general public is a white, upper-middle-class American male of northern European descent. Thus, unlike with other ethnic groups, people feel like they can attack Mormons without being labeled as "racists", since in the eyes of many it is impossible to be "racist" against white people. The fact that most members of the Church are no longer white means nothing to these people, because, as previously stated, they are ignorant, and they have no desire to learn any more than they already do.

(cont'd)

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:05 p.m.

Mormons in particular have a reputation for being excessively "nice", while at the same time being very earnest in sharing their beliefs with others. Mormons are the kinds of people that, in high school, would be stuffed into lockers or given wedgies by the kinds of people that come to dominate the media and the culture later in life. In other words, people ridicule Mormons simply because they can: they know they can say whatever they want about this particular group and suffer no consequences for it, because they won't stand up for themselves, and no one else will stand up for them. They are ignorant of the history of persecution that members of the Church have suffered, (frankly, they are ignorant of history in general), and they don't care to gain any more than a superficial understanding of the Church's beliefs, because they are lazy and content with living in mediocrity.

(cont'd)

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:04 p.m.

Where to begin with this…

First, it's worth pointing out that Mormons aren't actually the only religious group that Hollywood and Broadway feel it's "safe" to target. Christians in general come under attack in society regularly today, and it is due to a number of factors:

1) The majority of people involved in the entertainment industry are irreligious, or belong to religions that are opposed to Christianity (Jews, Scientologists, etc.)
    2) Christianity is viewed as a "majority" religion, and thus is not subject to the protections that are offered to "minority" groups in our modern, liberal culture,
    3) The mostly Evangelical Protestant "Christian right" has tarnished the image of Christianity in the eyes of the public as intolerant, hateful, and anti-scientific.
    4) Gays and lesbians, who object to Christianity's moral teachings, wield tremendous power in the media as well and use it as an outlet to present their views,
    5) People know they can get away with attacking Christians with little to know retaliation, because unlike members of some other religious groups, they don't have to worry about being the targets of violence (viz: Muslims) or expensive lawsuits combined with accusations of neo-Nazism (Jews)

(cont'd)

• Roscoe West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 17, 2014 10:39 p.m.

If the LDS Church wants the public at large to practice a "live and let live" attitude towards them, then perhaps they should let those of other faiths live and let live as well. What's good for the goose...

• dLange Los Gatos, CA
    Jan. 17, 2014 1:09 p.m.

i saw the episode of the Simpsons, that was mentioned in the article. I felt that it was making fun of the concept that Mormons were a cult. Let's not be so thinned skin. There is much that could be mocked about us by people that do not know us, and as they get to know us the humor will get kinder.

• TheProudDuck Newport Beach, CA
    Jan. 16, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Fools mock.

Why is it OK to mock the Mormons? Because Mormons don't cut your head off when you mock them. And because Mormons are viewed by the conventional wisdom as middle-class white people (although they're not, necessarily), and it's OK to mock that bunch. Because privilege, or something.

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Jan. 15, 2014 7:54 p.m.

One can mock all they want. It happened in the past and it will happen in the future.all we can do I STAND UP. Stand up for what we believe.Stand up to our rights to believe in what we do. Stand up for any other religious group who is being abused by these non believers. Stand strong. Or sit down a d watch other's get abused by them

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Jan. 15, 2014 8:23 a.m.

If you don't like a show then get a petition going to get it moved to a different time or canceled all together.

We as LDS will be bullied that kind of comes with the territory. Is it fair or right? No it is not but rather than fighting back about every incorrect piece of information sloshed out about the church. I would rather expend my energy on things that will make a difference in my life and the lives around me.

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Jan. 14, 2014 2:40 p.m.

As I see it, if you need to troll the DN daily to poke Mormons with sticks, carping defensively about the pushback that such puerile bullying generates is poor form.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 14, 2014 10:56 a.m.

idablu wrote:

"To Scientist:
    I would wager I am more educated than you but yet you would call me a fool, worthy of mocking because I am a believer."

How much are you prepared to lose?

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 14, 2014 3:48 a.m.

Mormons play the victim card better than anyone, yet blind themselves to their own disregard of others.

Typical

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Jan. 13, 2014 9:01 p.m.

@The Scientist
    Provo, UT
    The reason Mormons deserve to be mocked is evidenced in these comments. Have you ever seen so much arrogance?

Well scientist I have seen such arrogant comments made by a certain atheist

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:50 p.m.

I lived in Salt Lake City many years. During that time and since I don't think I ever heard any friends or acquaintances mock mormons. I have heard people laugh about mormon doctrine or how a seer stone was used in founding the religion. But that's about it. Mostly people are respectful.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 3:51 p.m.

I have been a member of the Mormon Church for over 67 years and the only emotion I feel when I read these sharp comments is I feel sorry for these people. They are missing out on such a wonderful and uplifting life. Of course there will always be those who are critical with their comments but we just let them slide off our backs...we know that as long as we are honest and Christ-like in our words and actions we will have the wisdom to not react negatively but to hopefully be able to reach out to those who are truly seeking the Truth but don't know how to go about it. Our hope is to emulate Jesus Christ in all we do and say.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 3:51 p.m.

Is it good to do this to anyone? Try being a gay person living in Mormonville! Yeah, I think that I know what the feeling is like! I think we know it well right about now! It isn't just a dig towards us, you know! It is much more than a dig. We know what the excuse in our case is. Beliefs! In the case of the Simpsons, maybe it some people's belief that Mormonism is a cult? whatever the reason, it doesn't feel very good! There are a lot of reasons people do it! I know when I have said things it is because I hurt inside! I hurt real bad sometimes! We can all be so harsh sometimes. I try not to do it even when I am upset.
    I think of all the horrible things said to me over the years and I ask the same question. WHY?
    I think I have reached the end. I think I have reached a point when I just won't ask that anymore? It hurts too much. You are right, we shouldn't treat each other like that. It isn't funny at all!

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    Jan. 13, 2014 3:33 p.m.

@A Scientist,

Frankly your comments on Mormons, dripping of condescension and sweeping generalizations of people you don't know, are routinely some of the most arrogant to be found on the comments to "Faith" articles. I fail to see how anonymous people you interact with online deserve what you throw at them. I am saddened and perplexed at your shallow critiques of Mormonism and the people with whom you choose to surround yourself in Provo.

• Willem Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 13, 2014 2:38 p.m.

ABUJA, Nigeria — Nigeria's president has signed a law that bans same-sex marriage and criminalizes homosexual associations, societies and meetings, with penalties of up to 14 years in jail.

Is this an example Utah wants to follow?

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Jan. 13, 2014 2:18 p.m.

I think more people have "joined" the Mormon Church,
    than have "fallen away" from the Mormon Church over all this "mockery".

Sticks and Stones my break my bones,
    but names will never hurt me.

Time to grow up people....

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Jan. 13, 2014 2:01 p.m.

@Willem, It's amusing how people throw around words like "Hate" (or H8TE), "bigotry," or "homophobia," much the same way that right wing Protestants throw around the word "cult." Since they seldom if ever, define their terms, I am forced to conclude that "hate" simply refers to any opinion that happens to be different from theirs. I personally was involved in the Proposition 8 campaign, and I contributed some of the Mormon money behind it. I, for one, am proud the be a member of a religious denomination which can do something more than just dispense a lot of wishy washy fluff about "diversity."

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 13, 2014 1:07 p.m.

To Scientist:

You have displayed nothing but contempt and disrespect for Mormons and the Mormon faith. We get it. You don't like us. That is fine. You don't have to believe. But believing doesn't make one a fool.

Smug and condescending comments do NOT improve one's credibility.

• Pack Layton, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:48 p.m.

What does it matter that a few dogs nip at our heels, the caravan moves on.

• Bobster Boise, ID
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:47 p.m.

I plead the 11th (Article of Faith). Joseph Smith was told by the Angel Moroni that his name would be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, tongues and people. I suppose that would hold true for the church he founded. The mocking of Mormonism is prophecy fulfilled.

• Willem Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:25 p.m.

Prop H8TE in California contributed by Mormons caused a lot of hate and distrust.

• Northern Lights Arco, ID
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:24 p.m.

"Scientist"

An excerpt from an English pre-WWII newspaper, World Press News, said the following:

“Christianity teaches that the Jews are good for nothing. The Jewish religion, however, teaches that they are the Chosen People to whom one day all the other peoples will be subordinate. Such a doctrine raises our suspicions. Since the Jews are systematically raised to be ARROGANT, is no surprise that no one likes them.”

Does anyone deserve to be mistreated because of the "arrogance" of their religious beliefs? I don't. Mocking Judaism wasn't right 50 years ago. (Look what it led to.) Mocking Mormonism, Christianity, or any religion, today isn't right. I disagree with your comment - nobody ever "deserves" it.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 11:22 a.m.

Mormons and non-Mormons can and should tolerate each other.

Ever since I had my first steady girlfriend long ago, I began to learn that there is a line, and sometimes it seems a fine one, between good natured fun and hurtful assaults.

Some humor is hateful and destructive and designed to organize existing prejudice; some is the prelude to murderous attack: Lehi was first mocked, in Jerusalem, and then they sought his life. Jesus was mocked when he said a dead girl was "just sleeping"; perhaps it was the same type of people who later clamored for his cruel bodily annihilation.

There is a difference between truthfully or sincerely pointing out a supposed or actual flaw in a system of beliefs, and encouraging hateful prejudices.

If there was a "humorous" and "equal opportunity" attack on Jews and Christians on the Simpsons I am not at all surprised or in the least supportive. Both Jews and Mormons were driven, deprived of hearth and home, murdered and imprisoned. The Jews were subjected to a cruel and systematic attempt to destroy the whole race. When does prejudice cease to be funny?

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 11:18 a.m.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 10:14 a.m.

Catholics, Jews and others are mocked. Maturity would dictate that we not really worry about it, not be thin-skinned, avoid being reactionary and defensive. It's time for LDS culture to mature and grow up. The stories of past atrocities against Mormonism are part of our story, but perhaps we need to move on. There is a positive message, one in which we need to feel secure, not insecure.

• B ob Richmond, CA
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:55 a.m.

About 160-180 years ago, among other things, Mormons experienced mob violence (including the shooting of children and rape), destruction of property, The Extermination Order, murder of missionaries, and violation of our Constitutional rights. More recently, we've experienced missionaries being brutally murdered and our sacred text The Book of Mormon being stomped on in response to our stand on California's prop. 8. And this is just in the United States.

Compared to all that…a vulgar musical, a few cartoon characters saying stupid things, people walking around our temples loudly expressing anger is nothing to get upset about. Sometimes you have to let people be ignorant, if only to keep your perspective.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:39 a.m.

I know of at least one conversion due to some one attending the "Book of Mormon Musical". There are probably many more. I am LDS and I see a lot hypocrisy in my faith. Bring up President Obama in a church setting and brace yourself for the most vile vitriol and personal attacks. In fact I was nearly assaulted when I tried defend the President in a Sunday School class. And I didn't even vote for him.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Jesus was mocked throughout the New Testament and so were his Apostles. Christianity is built upon a foundation of moral commandments which don't ever sit well with the natural man. People don't like to hear that abortion is murder or homosexual sex is sin. It is human nature to mock and dismiss anyone who suggests a higher level of living and then actually practice it. The masses like to pretend there is no sin - no right or wrong - no commandments which tends to help them feel better about themselves and their chosen reckless life style (misery loves company). The BIG difference between Christian commandments and Muslim commandments is with the first you are encouraged with love to repent and improve your life while the latter you get your hands or head cut off. What the natural man doesn't understand is that commandments FREE you and help you to find happiness. This knowledge only comes by doing.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:34 a.m.

The wind blows the hardest at the top.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:17 a.m.

We as a church have always been mocked. We are also held to a higher standard than the rest of the churches.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 10:57 p.m.

ThomasJefferson wrote:

"The level of bigotry and intolerance displayed by some of the posters is appalling. It is never, ever, appropriate to mock anyone; their beliefs, their heritage, their culture, their colour, their sexual orientation....nothing, ever. Pretty sad!"

I would agree, but so long as your Bible and other scriptures "mock", debase, and otherwise denigrate nonbelievers, then turn about is fair play.

Rip such horrible scriptures from your canon, and perhaps we can all be friends?

After all, atheists are people, too.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 10:05 p.m.

Man Sharrona, you certainly are more well read than myself, a devout mormon, in early church history. I might ask what has been the tone of the LDS church toward other churches, especially recently? I would submit it has been very cordial. We recently received counsel from one of our Apostles at a local meeting, close to where you live, to support and applaud members of other faiths in their efforts to do good. I've seen my church do that as they have donated money to the restoration of the Cathedral of the Madelin and other religious groups not of our faith.

• Getting Older Riverton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 9:08 p.m.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said, ""There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Just spell our name right.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 9:03 p.m.

Semi-Strong,it was one of the first I read when investigating the church). He is simply noting the foolishness of accusing Christ of blasphemy when the scriptures (OT) referred to judges by that title. He is not negating what Christ is telling us. Wrong,

Jesus could not be hinting that men could become a god like himself since that would be in contradiction of scripture ,and the Lord himself said the “the scripture cannot be broken “(John 10:35)

Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD(YHWH), and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD(YHWH); and beside me there is no savior. (Is 43:10-11)

I’ve read Jesus the Christ many times but I prefer the Bible, .. test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world…..verse 12 No man hath seen God at any time.. “(1 John 4:1)

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Jan. 12, 2014 8:40 p.m.

The answer why it is OK to mock Mormons is simple. A lot of people who profess to value cultural diversity are doing it in a knee-jerk way. They are doing it without thinking. So they eat Mexican food at a cultural day and they are proud that they are open-minded. But as soon as something comes up to them that requires thinking like someone mocking Mormons, they don't recognize they are operating off of stereotypes so all of a sudden their stereotypes fall on the floor and everyone sees, except for them.

• Semi-Strong Louisville, KY
    Jan. 12, 2014 7:49 p.m.

Sharrona,

"I say again, Let no man think me a fool; if otherwise, yet as a fool receive me, that I may boast myself a little. That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting. Seeing that many glory after the flesh, I will glory also."

So was he boasting. Yup - to make a point. All things in context.

Glad you like Talmage. You should read the footnote for yourself vs. relying on MRM. In fact, please read the whole book (it was one of the first I read when investigating the church). He is simply noting the foolishness of accusing Christ of blasphemy when the scriptures (OT) referred to judges by that title. He is not negating what Christ is telling us.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 7:09 p.m.

RE: Semi-Strong “Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?”
    Jesus the Christ, James Talmage—explained that Jesus was referring to divinely appointed human judges in John 10:34: Divinely Appointed Judges Called ‘gods.’ In Psalm 82:6, judges invested by divine appointment are called ‘gods.’ To this the Savior referred in His reply to the Jews in Solomon’s Porch. Judges so authorized officiated as the representatives of God and are honored by the exaltedtitle ‘gods.’”(Jesus the Christ, 501). Not even Mormon males believe their God right now.

Twin lights, Did Paul boast? vWhen Paul came to know Jesus Christ, he realized that he had nothing to brag about. All his religious accomplishments were a load of rubbish (Philippians 3:8). .
    "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Galatians 6:14).

• Semi-Strong Louisville, KY
    Jan. 12, 2014 6:54 p.m.

I think Northern Lights says it well.

Every religion, racial minority, or ethnic group I am familiar with goes along with and even generates some good natured ribbing about their eccentricities (and we all have them).

And there are movies and other media that do the same. The kidding is there but there is also respect and love (think Sister Act).

That is not what this is talking about. This is about mocking. About pointing your finger at a particular group and essentially calling them stupid.

We should not be subjected to it. Nobody should. And I hope and pray we will follow our prophets' lead and never mock others.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 5:30 p.m.

@ The Scientist

"LDS have a "live and let live" philosophy?"

Wrong. If that were true there wouldn't be such a fuss about Amendment 3

• Northern Lights Arco, ID
    Jan. 12, 2014 5:19 p.m.

BlueDevil

What you are describing is poking a little fun among friends or associates. That is probably ok if done in the right spirit. I think much of what you describe can be amusing.

What occurs more often than not in today's media, as you can even see with some of the comments above, is mocking as defined in the dictionary: mock (v) to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision. Some go far as to say this is deserved. I still believe that this type of mockery is a form of bullying.

Interestingly, many school bullies argue that they were only teasing their "victims." Where do you think they get that idea from?

• 3sons Ladson, SC
    Jan. 12, 2014 5:05 p.m.

Thank you for your column. I agree with you totally. I'm just sorry you had to watch an episode of the Simpsons to get your inspiration for this column.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 12, 2014 4:33 p.m.

Northern Lights.... what is the difference between "mocking" and "making fun of" or even "Joking about". Can we not have a sense of humor about our selves? I mean, come on. Jello Salad is funny. Church potatoes is funny. Deacon Dancing.... is hilarious. J Golden Kimble... hilarious. The BYU dating scene.... odd and very funny.

So what is funny worthy.... and what is off limits? I mean we have elders in our ward... one is 80 pounds max, the other a "solid" guy. Seeing them ride their bikes down the road.... funny.

• Northern Lights Arco, ID
    Jan. 12, 2014 2:08 p.m.

Mocking is a form of bullying. How can schools or employers ever address this problem while some adults, such as those on these message boards, openly and continually proclaim that the LDS Church, or any church for that matter, "deserves" it?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 12, 2014 1:37 p.m.

I am amazed at how thin skinned and isolated some people really are. This piece is interesting in that it does finally point out that we have reached the stage where we and all the other religions - yes even Islam - have fun made of them. Good grief, am I the only one who as a kid saw "the Life of Brian" or "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

If anyone really believes we as a faith are being picked upon, or that other faiths aren't having the same treatment, your living in a bubble. I found it odd at the time when the movie Singles Ward came out how his girl friend was offended that the lead as a comedian made jokes about Mormons. If we can' laugh at our own oddities - and we are odd - ok "peculiar" - then we really need an attitude check

We are funny - nothing wrong with it.

• DavidNL Holladay, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 9:56 a.m.

The article is interesting but not exactly factual... Catholics have been the butt of all kinds of theatrical productions, even here in SLC. Nuns are great fodder for ridicule. Any number of movies and all kinds of TV shows poke fun at Jewish stereotypes. I do agree with Bennet, though, that it means that the LDS church has arrived in a certain way. And, taking it in stride is the best approach -- LDS members know what is true regarding faith and what is not, as do Jews and Catholics. Finally, the Broadway musical to which Bennet alludes -- the Book of Mormon -- was awesome. I saw it with three "Utah Mormons" (we are all LDS) and aside from the over-the-top language, and a couple small dramaturge errors, I think it made us look like an interesting, faithful people! In fact, the woman sitting next to me, at intermission, told me she was jewish and asked a dozen questions regarding doctrine and listened carefully as I explained. This, to me, is how the church goes truly global.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 9:34 a.m.

They dish it out at the same rate.
    The reason the Broadway play was funny is because of the oddities of mormonism. There are embarrassing statements.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Jan. 12, 2014 7:41 a.m.

One of the reasons Mormonism get's "mocked" is simple, it's so easy to do. When a myriad of members act and respond so differently to the same issues, doctrines and guidelines how can it possibly be taken seriously.

• Pardon-me-twice Tooele, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 7:01 a.m.

Oh look at yourself bicker over and over. Tis the very Last Days.

• 3GrandKeys Walnut Creek, CA
    Jan. 12, 2014 3:32 a.m.

@Uncle Rico
    ".. and there are also many more who see the LDS Church as strong for supporting families, service orientated for donating time, financially generous for paying fast offerings to the poor and needy. So what's your point?"

The point is that despite our good qualities there are vast populations of people who do much good without all the quirky and peculiar ideological and historical foundations. Mormons may often be regarded as good, hard working people of integrity, but most people still think we're weird in addition to all that. We're always going to be weird and weird people are the butts of jokes regardless of how much good they do in the world. Aint no way around it and I'm pretty sure we've been asked to embrace it.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Jan. 12, 2014 1:07 a.m.

spring street posted: I seem to remember a rather recent incident in Texas involving some LDS youth and their being an investigation into their being bullied, so again show me how you are being singled our.
    ===========
    It's my understanding that the LDS church was recently (4 Aug 2013 Deseret News) added to the list of hate crime stats. Now that's there something to keep track of, perhaps some are making the point.

• IDSpud Eagle, ID
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:10 p.m.

@Red Corvette - What, do you have an inferiority complex or something? There may be a few LDS who act holier than thou, but I would say on the whole that is not at all the case. Trying to improve oneself, serving others, seeking to be more like Christ -- what on earth can be wrong with that?

• Serious Rexburg, ID
    Jan. 11, 2014 9:37 p.m.

I've been teased about being a Mormon. It's no big deal. I'd rather everyone was fair game, then we'd get to know what everyone really thinks!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 9:05 p.m.

I see no more relief for the Catholics than the Mormons. Sister Act is also on Broadway. (Ironically, the film version was played by an actress that admits she hates all people that don't subscribe to her views on same-sex marriage including the Catholics.)

I was appalled by a Halloween store in Salt Lake City that had a religious section with costumes for drunk priest and pregnant nun. When I complained, they refused to remove the costumes since the manager had pre-purchased the merchandise, but they did move them to a low shelf in the back of the store.

One can tell when a joke is in fun and in hate. Face it, there are loud people that hate what the Catholics and Mormons are fighting to defend.

• Demiurge San Diego, CA
    Jan. 11, 2014 8:55 p.m.

Come on. Every religion that has survived since the beginning of time has done so because persecution is good for religions. If Joseph Smith hadn't gotten killed, there wouldn't be any LDS today. If Jesus hadn't gotten killed, there wouldn't be any Christianity.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 8:02 p.m.

I've seen every religion mocked at this point in my life.

Let's see. Heaven Help Us (Andrew McCarthy, Donald Sutherland) mocks the Catholic Church. One among many. I don't think there is a church mocked more than the Catholic Church by Hollywood.

Steve Martin pretty much mocked evangelicals in Leap of Faith.

I don't think Footloose made evangelicals look good.

South Park has mocked about everything (Muslims, Mormons, Catholics, Hollywood, Scientologists, PETA, atheists, satanists, evangelicals, etc.)

James Bond movie Diamonds are Forever mocked Santeria.

Indiana Jones mocked some sort of religion...

Saturday's Voyeur are Mormons sort of mocking Mormons...

The movie Airplane mocked several religions including Buddhists, Jews for Jesus, Jews in general, Jehovah Witnesses...

Bottom line, what religion or even non-religion hasn't been mocked by Hollywood...

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 7:57 p.m.

scientist
    you don't join the church because of it's people, you join because you believe it is true. it appears you haven't found that to be the case. i'm sure all of the members of your religion (if you have one) are perfect . good luck in living around people you seem to have such anomosity towards. life is too short for me to live that way.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 7:28 p.m.

@ Origami

"There are a good number of people who think that many Mormon beliefs are ridiculous, even delusional."

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Jan. 11, 2014 7:10 p.m.

Others have said it before, but the main reason Mormons get made fun of is the same reason why milk-toast little boys get picked on by bullies as kids: they don't fight back. Parker and Stone and all their philosophical buddies on the left continually congratulate themselves for being "edgy" and "daring." Well, if they really want to be "daring," let them do an obscene Broadway musical about all the seemingly absurd aspects of Islam and the Koran. Of course, they don't because they're just like most bullies--wussies deep down.

• Here Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 6:01 p.m.

A comment here has said beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints appear delusional to those not of our faith. As though this is justification for being mocked. I'm not speaking directly to the commenter, but in general, people could easily think that the prophets of the Old Testament were delusional. They were not, and IMHO, neither is the LDS Church and it's prophet.

Abraham was not delusional when he nearly sacrificed his son. Noah was not delusional when he built an ark in sunny days. Isaiah was not delusional when he prophesied to future generations and of the coming of the Messiah. Moses was not delusional when he knew it was his mission to deliver the Jews from Egypt, and backed it up by parting the Red Sea. Labeling religion as delusional is an old tactic used to try to discredit revelation, faith, and obedience.

Just a thought.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, TX
    Jan. 11, 2014 5:55 p.m.

Ether 12:26

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2014 5:40 p.m.

Perhaps you have missed reading or hearing about the mocking, hating, disgusting treatment and comments President Obama, The President of the United States receives everyday?
    Not much respect for anyone out there these days, is there?

• 3GrandKeys Walnut Creek, CA
    Jan. 11, 2014 5:39 p.m.

If billions of people on the outside of our tiny world of Mormonism think of the org as shrouded in mystery and somewhat culty and think doctrines like polygamy, tea being a health risk, and becoming gods are extremely odd and that tens of thousands of high school graduates in suits going door to door on bicycles because for the most part they made the decision to do it when they were prepubescent is really peculiar then...who cares? We're really not supposed to care. We aren't LDS because we thought it would mean we'd suddenly be entitled to be free from all ridicule, right? We're all basically wearing signs on our chests that say we think all these things makes perfect sense so...toughen up kids.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    Jan. 11, 2014 5:01 p.m.

When Shakespeare wrote "The Merchant of Venice," the Jews had been banished from England for about 300 years. Those who remained would not have been in a position to complain about Shylock. "Othello," as a Moor (black man from northern Africa) was also a stereotypical character with his physical prowess and his temperamental weakness. There weren't a lot of Moors hanging around England in Shakespeare's time to protest the characterization. Maybe deriders think no one's listening who'd be offended. Ask any LDS Democrat how it felt to sit in, for example, Relief Society, during the last election, and hear some of the comments that were made. I attended a missionary open house and heard a conversation that totally marginalized me, and these were supposed to be my people! The solution to Mormon-bashing is to live your LDS principles and "open your mouth" and let folks know you're LDS before they "open mouth, insert foot." Otherwise, relax. I love that the Church puts ads in "The Book of Mormon Musical" programs, saying the book is always better!

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Jan. 11, 2014 4:55 p.m.

@sharrona, Ministers of different religious denominations often gave talks and sermons in Nauvoo during Joseph Smith's time. During the mid-19th Century, Brigham Young helped Catholic pioneers in Utah get land to build a church on, and the local Mormon choir sang at their services. LDS humanitarian efforts, for decades, have been conducted in cooperation with Catholic Relief services, and Islamic Relief Worldwide. LDS relief efforts in Indonesia, after the tsunami some years ago, included providing hundreds of copies of the Quran to local Muslim townspeople. These are just a few examples out of many that come to mind.

I personally have been involved for decades in local efforts of inter-religious understanding, involving local Baha'i communities and others, and have set this example for my family.

@A Scientist: "Live and let live," Have you asked the LGBT community and their "politically correct" friends if they are willing to practice that same principle in regard to the Boy Scouts, Chick Fil-A - or, for that matter, unborn children?

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 4:55 p.m.

@ulvegaard

The Simpsons engage in pocking fun at different groups in every episode and I do not remember the last time there was any public outcry following the redicule of any of these groups. As for. You example not related to the Simpsons the same law that applies to the gay men applies to LDS people as well, I seem to remember a rather recent incident in Texas involving some LDS youth and their being an investigation into their being bullied, so again show me how you are being singled our.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 4:30 p.m.

My favorite LDS joke came from the same people who made the Broadway musical. It was a South Park episode and all the people who were dead were confused why they were with Satan and asked a simple question, which church was the correct one.

Satan pauses dramatically and replies, "That would be the MOOORRMONS!!!"

I think we as members of the Church are very tolerant of the mainstream jokes and characterizations because they often serve a purpose connected to Missionary work. However there are some attacks that go too far. Fortunately those attacks never gain traction and are quickly forgotten unless you were the one who had the TV or radio on.

What does bother me is how often this newspaper allows attacks against BYU's sport teams and players on their message boards.

• TheProfessor Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Today, the secular media is hostile to all forms of religious belief. As a group, Christians are disparaged as Bible-thumping, anti-scientific, intolerant dunces. It's not just Mormons who get mocked, but people of faith generally.

Sadly, it's human nature to deride things that seem peculiar. The more distinctive your beliefs or practices, the more likely you are to be ridiculed--and the Mormon faith is, by any reckoning, distinctive. An added challenge is that many LDS church members are geographically isolated within the "Mormon Corridor." Few Americans have an LDS friend, and the high degree of social cohesion among LDS congregants further reinforces a perception of "separateness."

Luckily, we live in a country where those with distinctive beliefs are mocked rather than persecuted. If we are truly grateful for this blessing, we'll take the energy we'd otherwise expend in parrying puerile gibes, and use it to support those around the world who face genuine danger in living out their religious convictions.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 3:53 p.m.

Here wrote:

"Might I suggest it will get worse. As the second coming approaches, persecutions will arise and worsen."

Yes, if you continue to push the doctrine of a "second coming", then you will definitely bring upon yourselves more mockery. We have had 2,000 years of such nonsense, and anyone who takes that seriously deserves to be mocked.

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 3:48 p.m.

When a religion says, "We're the only 100% true church on the earth" and implies that you don't reach the highest level of heaven without going through them first (and yes, that's what you believe, don't deny it)--then you open yourself up to mocking, it's pretty simple. It's like saying at a party that you're the smartest one in the room and happen to know everything--you think folks are going to find any sympathy for someone like that? The LDS Church and this paper like to drive up the "pity" quotient for Mormons, but you guys bring it on all by yourselves.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 3:33 p.m.

Its never okay to mock anyone for any reason. To to so would be a violation of the golden rule.

Thats not to say all religion are deserving of respect. Snake handler religions, religions that forbid people from seeing doctors, especially children who need life saving care, religions that force women to wear head coverings, that circumcise infants, that make people feel guilty for things that are not wrong such as birth control all come to mind

• azamatbagatov Lehi, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Catholics get skewered for the priest scandal all the time. Jewish people get ridiculed for being cheap. I take it as a sign that we've made it as a major religion when people make fun of us. It happens.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 11, 2014 2:58 p.m.

I think we all know whats going on here. Its OK in America to attack the character of those who don't agree with you politically. Its hardly new or a one-sided affair. One day perhaps, America will get tired of it and then both MSNBC and Fox News will be in big trouble.

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 2:51 p.m.

"Two Mormons walk into a bar"...Just kidding. Just kidding.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Jan. 11, 2014 2:48 p.m.

@Here

Very well said.

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 2:37 p.m.

How about not making it so easy then possibly the jokes will cease!

• jeanie orem, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 2:30 p.m.

Scientist,

"I never mock Mormons or their religion. I only mock that which is silly and deserving of being mocked. Because there is plenty of that in Mormonism and Mormondom....."

I don't follow this logic.

And, how can you know she is one in 15 million? Have you met all 14,999,999 of us? You pass very harsh judgements on strangers you have never had dealings with because of the actions of some. You respect the promises you wife has made, but demand the rest of us expose ours.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:56 p.m.

What, not one mention of Archie Bunker? He used to give a bigoted opinion about everyone and everything. His comments about "the Mormons" were tame and hardly anything compared with others he lambasted.

Face it, Hollywood script writers love to poke fun at the Mormons and it seems to be well received by the public. I'm not sure why except maybe it has a bit to do with others feeling insecure around those who strive to do what they should and shun the world's vices, like smoking, drinking, gambling, womanizing, etc.

There are those who think they know better than anyone else what the doctrines or practices of the Church should be and if they are not aligned, the Church is just plain wrong (or silly). When exactly were they ordained the President? Missionaries wearing white shirts are an easy target...but they wouldn't dare make fun of some non-member's tattoos, multiple earrings or weird hair. Other examples are home teaching, singles wards, church athletics, etc. The Church building a new building has critics that say the money should be used to help feed the poor.

They tolerate some things, mock others.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:29 p.m.

Sharrona,

The statement is factual. You may not like the way he says it, but it is accurate.

Did Paul boast?

A Scientist,

So you only mock what you determine deserves to be mocked?

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:27 p.m.

I can think of several reasons why Mormons tend to get "mocked" more than others.
    1. The colorful history of the Church.
    2. Mormonism is just as much a culture as it is a religion.
    3. Proselytizing - when you put yourself out there in the open like, you are bound to take shots.
    4. Mormons tend to seem a bit more gleeful (maybe just perception) which will always draw in cynicism.

I could go on but I think I made my point.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Why is it OK to mock Mormons?

Hmmmmmmmmm ....

Because we are often not politically correct?

Because earnest young people in suits and white shirts or knee-length skirts with tops that cover their shoulders are so out-of-place among youth in general?

Because we "can't" smoke or do snuff, get drunk or stoned, drink espresso or frappuccinos, go home with the attractive stranger of our choice from the bar, or hang out in casinos dropping dollar after dollar down the drain, we never have any fun?

Because we believe God still speaks to us, wants to speak to us, and loves us enough to speak to us just as He did to people thousands of years ago?

Because we actually look forward to being with our families for eternity?

Because we don't throw tanrrums, riot, assassinate, or burn things down someone offends us?

Because we are just so completely... well... mockable?

The list could go on and on and on.

• Sore loser tampa, fl
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:11 p.m.

It's always fun to laugh at Nacho but maybe not so much at ourselves? The Lord himself called his Church as being fillled with the weak and simple. We should probably not take ourselves too seriously and remember the 2nd principle of the Gospel.

• celeratelife Lethbridge, 00
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:01 p.m.

Baloney. I listen to a fair amount of television and movies and I hear faiths of all kinds being slammed all the time from Evangelical Christianity to Wicca to Judaism to Islam to Atheism! It`s one of the things I love about our country and freedoms. We are safe to criticize whoever we wish without being afraid of retaliation. I wouldn`t want it any other way.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 12:33 p.m.

Freedom of speech.

• Here Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:49 a.m.

Might I suggest it will get worse. As the second coming approaches, persecutions will arise and worsen. That's just my understanding. Things are happening fast, with signs of the times popping up around us. The Lord will prevail. The war has been won. We just have to prove what side WE are on.

The leaders of the church seem to me to be always taking the considered, measured approach to issues of the day. And even with that, they get criticized. But that has been the lot of leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints since it's beginning.

Though the church does not seek controversy, it will stand out more and more as it finds itself becoming one of last groups to hold to the standards of Jesus Christ. Many groups and individuals cave under the political correctness of today.

• Free Agency Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:45 a.m.

While I understand the author's frustration at what seems like a double-standard, his analogy of Mormons and Jews in terms of being mocked isn't accurate.

Mormons, Christian fundamentalists and Muslims too, are mocked by some media for their *religious* beliefs. If Jews were mocked, it would be "racial." Jews have widely-varying beliefs and disbeliefs about their religion. Indeed, more than a few Jews don't believe in God at all.

Yet they're all considered Jews, by their fellow Jews and by the world around them.

If a Mormon renounced his religion's beliefs, he'd no longer be considered a Mormon. Same for fundamentalist Christians and Muslims.

Having said that, I'd like to add that I have the deepest admiration for the Mormon Church in the way it handled that Broadway show. I can't think of another solidly dogmatic religion which would be so even-tempered about something that mocks so much of their values and what they hold sacred. I understand the Church even put an ad in the show's program: "You saw the show, now read the book."

Would that we were all like that.

• grip Meridian, ID
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:41 a.m.

People tend to be down on what they are not up on. I expect there never will be a time when all ALL people will be "up" on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to qualify them to be critics or boosters.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Mayfair,

My wife is hardly a typical Mormon - thank goodness!

If Mormons were overall like my wife, I would have joined the Mormon Church three decades ago.

Alas, she is the rare one-in-15-million exception.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:12 a.m.

I never mock Mormons or their religion.

I only mock that which is silly and deserving of being mocked.

Because there is plenty of that in Mormonism and Mormondom, sometimes they get mocked.

Eliminate the silly and mock-worthy from Mormonism and Mormondom, and the mocking will drop dramatically.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Jan. 11, 2014 10:08 a.m.

@ spring street,

I am aware that the Simpsons is an equal opportunity show for ridicule. But the point of the article is that when the jokes and ridicule are aimed at most other entities, their is some sort of public out cry. Some offenses even bring about charges based on the hate crime laws in this country. If a gay young man is teased and insulted, if a complaint is made there is law enforcement involvement. If a young Mormon boy is ridiculed, it is more likely that others will join in on the fun.

I realize it may be a comparison of apples to oranges, but again, as I see it, the article was pointing out for much of society, degrading LDS beliefs and members is fair game, poking fun and most other members of society is borderline criminal.

• oragami St. George, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 9:55 a.m.

The Simpsons and South Park (which also has an episode about Mormons) ridicule and make fun of nearly every ideology, including the "cults" of Facebook and consumerism. There are a good number of people who think that many Mormon beliefs are ridiculous, even delusional. Add this to the fact that many people argue that the techniques the Church uses to recruit and retain, as well as illicit compliance and obedience, to some extent resemble cult practices. None of that makes it "right" to ridicule Mormons, but it may help others understand why it happens. Some people, of course, put others down to feed their already inflated sense of superiority, so there is always that.

• HeresAThought Queen Creek, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2014 9:40 a.m.

Two things: First, I saw another Simpson dig at Mormons on a very recent episode where Rev. Lovejoy needs to find a way to revive his uninterested flock, but doesn't have the "Mormon budget" to do so. It seems more of a compliment that the Church has vast financial means due to the faithful tithes give to the Lord for the work to go forth.

In grade school and even well into my adult life have I personally been insulted because of my faith, many times by close acqaintences and even close friends. For me, it's difficult to turn the other cheek and rise above hurtful jokes and comments because my faith is sacred to me. Even if someone doesn't share my beliefs, I would expect the decency of an agree-to-disagree, or even a live and let live attitude. Even when I was inactive for 10 years, wasting time in "riotous living", I often found myself defending Mormons and the gospel because in my heart, it was still a living thing. I hope that I can one day overcome the weakness of anger at misinformed opinions.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 8:01 a.m.

RE: Owl,Statements and opinions made ex cathedra are not doctrinal. What about?
    (1 Nephi 14:10).. there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth"

8;58RE: Twin Lights, Do you agree?
    (D.H.C. v 6. P 408,409) “I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.

• cassandove Tampa, FL
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:19 p.m.

Sharrona - You may want to clarify that the Journal of Discourses is not and never has been canonized as doctrine.

In any case, as long as even one person chooses to follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ in its fullness, the Church and its teachings will be mocked at every hand.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:01 p.m.

I have to wonder if this is the only episode of the simpsons this author ever watched. The simpsons are equal opportunity offenders. The often poke fun at the Jewish community and just about every group people divide themselves into or get stereotyped into into in our society.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:52 p.m.

Any PR is good PR. Have watched it happen many, many times. While living 30 years in the south at least monthly someone would come ask me something about the LDS Church because of something in a film, sunday school class or presentation unfavorable to Mormons. I just answered their question, gave the rest of the story etc. the best I could and thanked them for caring enough to ask and get a view from my side. It will all work out.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:40 p.m.

sharrona
    layton, UT
    Statements and opinions made ex cathedra are not doctrinal. Ridiculing and religious contending are vastly different.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Jan. 10, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Regarding the comments above there is some inconsistency.

1) Mocking Christianity vs Mormons are two different things (religion vs people)

2) Mocking of religions is not equal. You can mock Christianity and Mormonism but not Islam

3) Race and religion are not the same. Being racist is uncool. Mocking religion is OK.
    One is born into a race without choice. Religion is a choice.

4) I enjoy Polack jokes and Mormon jokes cause I am a Mormon Polack. Hey! New campaign.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Jan. 10, 2014 3:09 p.m.

The Scientist said: "LDS have a "live and let live" philosophy?"

Yes, you have often mentioned your active LDS wife on these comment boards and her position to live and let live.

I have used her example in my own life. You may thank her for me.

• get her done Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 12:22 p.m.

Your too tight...where is your light mindedness....a little fun is ok.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 12:16 p.m.

The LDS Church is fair game to be mocked for a few reasons...

1. All religions, especially Christian religions are fair game to be mocked it seems by so-called entertainers from The Simpsons, to Bill Maher, Comedy Central, et al

2. Since Mitt Romney was on the national scene twice over the past decade and greater visibility has been given to the LDS Church because of his presidential campaigns, the LDS Church will be subjected to both positive and negative attention.

3. Since the LDS Church claims - perhaps more strongly than any other church - to be the one and only true church of God, it will therefore be subjected to greater scrutiny than say the Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc.

4. Since the LDS Church has some very clear contradictions in its history as has been confirmed by the LDS Church itself through its series of essays on Polygamy, Priesthood being withheld from Blacks, etc, it has become an even easier target for mocking and ridicule.

I'm not saying anyone should mock the LDS church nor any religion that generally is a force for good. But, when you are in the limelight and seek it, mocking is almost to be expected.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Sharrona,

Two points:

First, wouldn't most born again Christians make similar statements reference Mormons being ignorant of the nature of God or salvation? I have read such statements.

Second, such statements (no matter by whom nor to whom they are directed) are not comedic mockery (which was the point of the article).

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:54 a.m.

RE: Latter-day Saints Who Say, "We Never Criticize Christian Churches.

…all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt…JS History 1:19.
    "When the light came to me I saw that all the so-called Christian world was grovelling in darkness" Journal of Discourses 5:73).

"The Christian world, so-called, are heathens as to the knowledge of the salvation of God" (Journal of Discourses 8:171).

We talk about Christianity, but it is a perfect pack of nonsense ...the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century" (Journal of Discourses 6:167).

"What! Are Christians ignorant? Yes, as ignorant of the things of God as the brute beast." (Journal of Discourses 6:25).

"What does the Christian world know about God? Nothing ...Why so far as the things of God are concerned, they are the veriest of fools; they know neither God nor the things of God" (Journal of Discourses 13:225).

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:28 a.m.

LDS have a "live and let live" philosophy?

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:20 a.m.

Can you imagine a Broadway play laughing about the Quran?

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:17 a.m.

The fundamental and very real difference between poking fun (even to the point of ridicule) at someone because of their race and someone’s religious beliefs aside (Shylock was not mocked for reading the Torah); I agree with the 2nd to last paragraph – consider it a form of flattery (in the ironic comedic sense) and laugh it off in the spirit for which Mormon’s are known for.

As Yoda said, “anger, fear, aggressive… to the dark side (the Muslim approach) they lead.” Not sure he mentioned Muslims but if were living in our time & galaxy he doubtless would have in this context.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:05 a.m.

The church has, and always will be attacked. Todays LDS church is attacked just like the Savior during his time on earth, and the apostles after him. It's when the world accepts us, is when I'll worry.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:05 a.m.

Religion is often fair game in humor. I don't mind some of that. It is the juvenile and crass classification of religionists as stupid, foolish, secretly evil/hypocritical, etc. that make my head spin.

Currently the LDS appear to be fair game. Hopefully that will pass. I am not sure if our "live and let live" philosophy helps that but I do believe it is right (at least for now).

More militant groups such as B'nai B'rith that actively fight against stereotyping are an effective model but their strong stance is more understandable given the recent history of the Jewish people.

Whenever humor of a people is used, care should be taken not to denigrate.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Jan. 10, 2014 5:56 a.m.

An amazingly well done article. Many should take this to heart.