Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward overshadows Kevin Durant in huge Jazz win over OKC

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Jan. 9, 2014 5:05 p.m.

you cannot compare Enes to the likes of Jabari and Wiggins...Enes Kanter before he was drafted...was the biggest question mark in the draft...he didnt play for what? a year...so there where a lot of question marks in Enes Kanter....with Jabari...you know what you are going to get....a Legit scoring threat...a first option guy....Wiggins...well i think he is overhyped...he has the tools to be great...but it doesnt match the desire...but he is definitely better on D than Jabari by leaps and bounds...so in the next draft...top 4 names that are floating...Joel Embiid....Jabari Parker...Julius Randle....and Andrew Wiggins...if we didnt get lucky and got 3rd...its possible that we get Randle...Favors Randle Hayward Burks Burke...is a good starting 5...and Randle is dominant right now...

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 9:24 a.m.

Nobody is asking Jazz players to lay down and not play hard. That is certainly not in there best interest because the money they can make during their career depends on their performance. What I'm asking for is that the Jazz brass stop giving so much playing time to veterans that likely won't be here next year anyway. Giving those minutes to Evans, Clark, and Gobert as well as more time to Burks gives them a chance to be better players sooner. That would likely also bring the Jazz fewer wins than we get playing those veterans that will be gone next year. That accomplishes developing young talent while keeping us in the lottery hunt.
    Yours truly,
    Wussy Jazz fan

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 9, 2014 7:50 a.m.

The same negative nellies who thought that getting rid of Sloan and running a more up tempo offense would lead us to the promise land, would now have you believe that tanking to get a top three pick would automatically get us (sigh) to that same promised land. May I remind them that Karl Malone and John Stockton were not top three picks? May I remind them that in Gordon Hayward they simply went after the best basketball player available? may I further remind them that there is no guarantee that either mr. Wiggins or Mr. Parker are any more franchise players than was Enis kanter was a couple of years ago? May I lastly remind them that if they were to make that suggestion to any current jazz player, they'd walk away with a mouthful of bloody chicklets? Get it straight, the Jazz play every game to win and don't lay down for anyone. And only the wussiest of jazz fans would want them to do otherwise.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 7:07 a.m.

Americanvet: Absolutely agree on Williams. At the right price (~$5-6M max), he can help the Jazz a lot. No other Jazz veteran interests me. 2-3 years ago, I was a huge Rush fan and wanted the Jazz to get him but he is damaged goods now. He can still shoot but he can't defend at all.

Kakashi: Thanks for your comments on Pek. He is a beast but he got more salary than I projected. I proposed a toxic, front-end loaded offer averaging about $10M/yr but diminishing as the young guys started needing to get paid). Minny paid quite a bit more than that. I've moved on. The Jazz won't have Pek in his prime.

plyxply: Are you being sarcastic? First, Hayward was better than Durrant for one game but I'd trade Hayward for Durrant in a second. The Jazz are not a playoff threat this year. In the East, certainly. But not in the West. I predicted a 26-win season before the season started. They may end up with a few more than that but nowhere near the 45-48 it will take to make the playoffs.

• Farmhand20 Vernal, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:57 p.m.

The writing is on the wall. Hayward will play very well the next two or three months, and some team will make him an offer the Jazz won't be willing to match. Plus they will end up winning 30-35 games, and not only miss the playoffs, but also be at the bottom of the draft lottery.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 6:09 p.m.

Gordon Hayward is just better than Durrant as we saw last night. The only way the Jazz will lose enough games is by trading Jefferson and playing Enes more, otherwise they are going to keep winning games and play themselves out of the lottery. They could actually make the playoffs with Gordon Hayward now that he's elite.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 5:09 p.m.

The Great White Hope finally unveiled himself.
    Will it continue?

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Jan. 8, 2014 4:40 p.m.

i have to agree with joe5 on Pekovic...as much as i like Kanter...it will be a while till he actually develops...Pekovic is man among babies in the post...i dont think anyone can overpower him right now...if ever we signed Pekovic...we wont have a remote chance to hit top 5 pick...and would be a in the middle of the lottery...but if we literally tanked...and signed Pek...it would be too expensive to sign the other guys like Hayward...Burks....Kanter and Burke...and if we get Jabari...we have to pay that dude as well...by not signing Pek...we get at least a shot to get Jabari...and still be able to pay the young guys that the brass covet...also there are a few free agents next season other than Hayward that we could get...one of which is Greg Monroe...right now...we should at least get the 4th pick overall...let's just cross our fingers and hope the ping pong balls bounced on our favor...someone pay Dan Gilbert's kid to attend the lottery on behalf of the Jazz

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:21 p.m.

It is true that the youngsters can't play 48 minutes, but winning too many games is not in our best interest either in my opinion. I would just like to see Gobert and Ian Clark get most of the minutes going to Jefferson and Williams. Also, I would like to see Burks get more playing time too. I really think that as Burks get more time and slows things down he might just become the best player on the team. Jefferson, the self described "hired gunslinger" will be gone for sure next year so why play him at all. Williams I do think has some value and if the Jazz could resign him next year at a decent price I would be ok with that. Gobert and Clark will benefit from playing in the D-league but I would rather see them get those minutes with the Jazz. If we were fighting for a playoff seed things would be different and you play the guys that give you a better chance to win, but I think we should be developing young players and going for draft position.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 8, 2014 2:27 p.m.

Spot on, and I'm afraid that's exactly where they are going to finish, out of the playoffs and out of the lottery.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 2:00 p.m.

So when do the Jazz get out of the division cellar?

Jan. 8, 2014 1:09 p.m.

Wow you are amazing JOE5. Foundation players are the THREE OR FOUR best players and management and the coaching staff will figure that out when the time comes. Yea your right, Hayward will play SF, sometimes, but most of the time he is playing shooting guard or Alex is playing SF. Anyway enough of who's right and who's wrong. The Jazz have a great foundation and they are fun to watch. Go Jazz and go Utah Jazz Management!!!

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 12:49 p.m.

An impressive win... no doubt.

And there's no doubt this team is getting better. Trey Burke is proving to be what we were hoping for. He's still very young with lots of upside potential not yet seen. Exciting concept.

If Hayward starts playing consistently like he did last night, the Jazz are going to have to pay really big bucks to resign him. The demand for him as a free agent will be sky-high.

In retrospect, it's kinda funny how many Jazz fans seemed disappointed that the front office picked Hayward instead of a big, power player when we chose him a few years ago. More overall faith is needed in the Jazz management and their now-obvious due-diligence homework.

The worst scenario for Jazz-land is to have this team play just well enough to not get a good lottery pick in this upcoming best-in-a-decade draft... but not quite well enough to get in the playoffs. That's the no-man's land area that will leave no one satisfied... and yet one that now seems very possible.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Nice, but "superstar"?

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:55 a.m.

MIC; I should also point out that my summer suggestions were just examples of things the Jazz could have done to compete rather than sell out the Jazz fans and instill (my favorite summer term) "a culture of losing."

The results of their sell-out won't be evident for 3-4 years yet so just relax and enjoy the ride you wanted to go on. But pardon me if I exercise a little more caution before I end up looking just as foolish as some of you.

If you're right (and I really hope you are), you won't have to call me out to see me praising the Jazz front office for their approach. I still put their chances at no better than 1 in 3 that they end up going to an NBA finals with Hayward and Favors on the team.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:48 a.m.

MIC: Those are only three of several I talked about. Easy to cherry pick your data, isn't it. Especially when it is meaningless.

Every situation is different. If John Stockton had been drafted by the Lakers to back up Magic Johnson, he would have been out of the league in a year or two at the most instead of being a Hall of Famer. Who knows what might happen to a player or a team if there is a synergy.

I still believe in Pekovic.

I admitted during the summer that Mayo and Bynum (and several others) were risks but probably cheap enough to take a chance on. For example, one of those flyers was Xavier Henry. Ultimately the Lakers got him for $1M. You can decide whether that worked out for them or not since he has been off-an-on with injuries. But would he have had the same injuries in Utah? Who knows? Heck, the Jazz might have given him $1M and kept him on the bench like Clarke.

The point is, you don't know any more than the next guy how those guys might have fit in with the Jazz.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:41 a.m.

This is not a good thing. Sure it was fun to see the Jazz youth movement paying dividends but these are all role players and none are all stars, let alone super stars. Jazz need to get a superstar surrounded by these really good other players in order to get to a championship team. If they do not get a top 2, maybe 3 pick the Jazz are headed back to the Milsap/Jefferson/Boozer days of making the playoffs, maybe winning 1 round, and then folding. Slightly above mediocrity with this group. Where is the super star. we desperatly need this next pick to be a superstar calibre player, not just solid. The roster is filled with solid, sometimes streaky players right now.

• Man in Charge Chihuahua, 00
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:24 a.m.

How is your beloved Pekovic helping the Timberwolves this year? So far, they're at where they were last year. OJ mayo hasn't done anything to help to worst team in the league. And Bynum got cut. So much for your free agents you were clamoring so much about this summer.

To all the people like me who want the Jazz to tank, don't worry. They are still the worst team in the west and the Thunder had 3 starters who weren't playing or played limited minutes.

• Mountain Bird West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:16 a.m.

Glendora, CA
    "I prefer Gordon Hayward, of the Moody Blues."

Uh, hate to be a nitpick, but as a Moody's fan, I can't let this one slip by uncorrected. That would be Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Wow!! Lots of silly comments being made,

2Bits: Durrant is a great player but Hayward outdid him last night based on efficiency alone. A simple formula might be pts/shots. Durrant was 48/36 = 1.41 and Hayward was 37/19 = 1.95; nearly half a point better per shot. And he didn't have the benefit of nearly 20 FTs.

ABELIEVER: First, when Burke, Burks, and Hayward are in the lineup, Hayward is the SF. Second, who are your three foundational players? (Hayward, Favors, and Parker?) So you think Kanter, Burks, and Burke are role players than are easily replaced?

pby47: Note that the Jazz resurgence did not being with Burke's return but with Williams return. He does so much more on the court than you are apparently able to see. Learn some basketball and then come back and look at what he does for this team. Not every good thing is measured in the box score.

Americanvet: I love discussing with you but the Jazz cannot play the kids 48 minutes each. In fact, it makes sense to put them in positions to succeed rather than fail so they can build positive skills instead of reinforcing negative habits.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 9:23 a.m.

An impressive game for the Jazz even against a depleted Thunder squad. However, what is going on with our rebuilding plan? We have come this far in rebuilding by jettisoning all the veterans that we chose not to resign only to keep playing Jefferson and Williams in the hopes of winning a few extra games. We have to build through the draft because free agency is tough sledding for small market teams. This is the year to have a high lottery pick because the draft has a few potential all star players at the top of the draft. The Jazz tried to trade Jefferson last week for an expiring contract showing again they don't have long term plans for the guy, but yet he still starts and gets big minutes that takes away from Burks getting more playing time. I'm always excited to see the Jazz play well and I can't just turn that off and on. But, I think it's a mistake to win too many games and end up in the middle of the 1st round of the draft when we have a chance to grab a star quality player!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 9:12 a.m.

Durrant is 14 of 34 from the field? Yikes, I guess no one else was open.

He missed more shots than Hayward attempted.

• pby47 St George, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:58 a.m.

A "thunderous dunk" is still only worth 2 points, it counts for nothing more, so don't over sell its value.

I'm still wondering why Marvin Williams is still on this team, and still starts, he's lazy, doesn't rebound, is an erratic shooter, and hurts the team in my opinion. Trade him and draft Parker this year and the jazz just might make the playoffs again.

Jan. 8, 2014 8:50 a.m.

Hey JOE5, I love to be positive and that is they way I am. Hayward is a guard and would not of guarded Durrant at all during the game anyway, so Durrant would of gotten his points. Secondly Durrant is a superstar and not matter who would of guarded him he was going to get his points. Thirdly foundation to me does not mean all of the fab five players on the team, I believe the three best will stay and role players will play around them, kind of like Stockton, Malone and Hornacek.

The Jazz have a great foundation and I look forward to watching the foundation grow and develop throughout the years. Go Jazz!!

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:43 a.m.

I don't know that Hayward "overshadowed" Durant. You make it sound like he dwarfed Durant. He had a great game no doubt, but remember Durant had a season high last night also (and more points than Hayward).

I think our whole team outplayed their whole team. But I wouldn't say Hayward dominated Durant or overshadowed him. It's the rest of the team we dominated (not Durant).

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:25 a.m.

It must be noted that the Jazz roster is now down to 12. Mike Harris was cut and Clark and Gabbert were sent to the D-League. Hayward was in a zone to be sure and the Jazz are playing well. However, let's not get carried away. Ibaka is a beast on the boards. He played for Spain and with the Gosol brothers and except with an injury late in the game to Paul, Spain would have won. Westbrook is unstoppable and will be ready for the playoffs. I suggest that the Jazz do not "dream of sugar plum fairies" just yet. They need to keep plodding along and continue their development. Too great an expectation right now would "spoil the brew". They eed to keep their feet on the ground and their eyes on the clouds. The word is "slow and steady" until they are ready to roar and it's not yet.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Jan. 8, 2014 7:08 a.m.

I prefer Gordon Hayward, of the Moody Blues.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 6:38 a.m.

ABELIEVER: Did you even watch last night's game? If so, you'd realize that the Jazz never win that game without Williams and Jefferson. (Reminder: Current plans are for them to be gone after this season.) They spent the night guarding Durrant so Hayward could stay in the game. Without them, Hayward gets into foul trouble, ends up with 9 points and isn't around to score the last 17 points of the game.

If you went with the kids, as Greg Miller stupidly referenced in his post-game tweet, who would guard Durrant? Certainly not Favors, Kanter, Burks, or Burke. Even if the Jazz had Parker, his defense is his biggest weakness so he couldn't do the job. And if you pay that core-6, you don't have money for anybody else to fill out the rotation.

Personally, for his own sake, I hope Jabari decides to serve a mission instead of jumping right to the NBA. I don't even know if that's on his radar but it would be the best thing he could do to set up the rest of his life.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Jan. 7, 2014 11:15 p.m.

if we dont get Jabari....i think Joel Embiid or Julius Randle is a good consolation prize...i still think Andrew Wiggins is way over hyped...he has the skills...but i dont think he has the desire to reach his potential...

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Jan. 7, 2014 10:14 p.m.

Great game for Hayward, but the Jazz still give up too many offensive rebounds to the Thunder, even with Serge Ibaka out. Jazz have won 6 of their last 10.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Jan. 7, 2014 10:07 p.m.

are we still on track to have a top 3 pick?...

Jan. 7, 2014 10:06 p.m.

Wow, the Jazz management is showing me that they know how to draft quality players. I believe the Jazz have the foundation to become a competitive team that will compete against the Thunder, Blazers, San Antonio, Heat, and Pacers for years to come. A kid named Parker would solidify at least two NBA Championships within the next 12 year if the Jazz were lucky to draft him, however, the current Jazz if the foundation stays together will get into the NBA finals within the next seven years. Thank you very much Management for sticking to your guns and bringing a fun product to watch for years to come.

• docbaird Lehi, UT
    Jan. 7, 2014 9:53 p.m.

Toooooooo many wins. However good work!