Mitt Romney, Glenn Beck respond to MSNBC anchor's emotional apology

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Jan. 9, 2014 7:00 a.m.

@ LDS Liberal - "Farmington, UT - I'm impressed. Back to his old self. Where was THIS Mitt Romney during the campaign?"

Where was this Romney?

Right in front of your eyes the whole time. If you didn't see him, that's your fault. The liberal, America-hating mainstream media tried to slander Romney 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but he was there, nonetheless.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 7, 2014 3:14 p.m.

I'm impressed.
    Back to his old self.

Where was THIS Mitt Romney during the campaign?

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 7, 2014 7:43 a.m.

It was nice to see an apology that seemed heartfelt and which actually accepted the blame for the comment. I am so extremely tired of hearing nonpologies like "I'm very sorry if anyone was offended by my remarks". Comments like this (which are far too common) deflect the blame onto the person taking offense, accepting none of it. At least this apology seemed sincere.

• IsaacsTM Huntingtown, MD
    Jan. 7, 2014 7:34 a.m.

Fake apology that started out with a lie. The picture was presented to a panel of comedians as part of their "look back with laughter" series. She begins her apology by lying: "Given my own family history I identified with that picture and I intended to say positive and celebratory things about it. But whatever the intent was, the reality is that the segment proceeded in a way that was offensive." Was that really your intent Melissa?? You began the segment by asking for captions after putting up the picture and YOU started out by saying "a lot of people had emotions about THIS baby picture. There on his knee is his African American grandchild. Any captions?" You quickly jumped in saying "My goal is that in 2040, the biggest thing of the year will be wedding between Kieran Romney and North West - CAN YOU IMAGE Mitt Romney and Conway West as in laws?? Hahaha" And then is went downhill from there. When I apologize, I usually don't include a big lie to make me look better.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 10:58 p.m.

We know this about Mitt, he's a good man,a gracious loser, a poor Presidental candidate and an unpopular Govenor(33% approval ratings after one term in office). We'll never know how he would have faired as President but we do know he has been a compassionate, well spoken ex-candidate.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 10:29 p.m.

it was saving her job, nothing more.

• amagnetick AV, CA
    Jan. 6, 2014 9:18 p.m.

The only reason she actually and MSNBC made a formal apology is because they were being excoriated over the fact the her first so called apology was a tweet she made that was totally classless. The formal apology was just an attempt at face saving, nothing more.

• jparry Provo, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 8:04 p.m.

Please stop reporting what Glenn Beck says. He is simply an entertainer and you're giving him free advertising. Besides, what he says is hardly news--he's totally predictable. If you must represent his views, I suggest you save some copy and assign a simple numbering system to his comments--his repertoire is very limited.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Jan. 6, 2014 7:37 p.m.

I missed this particular show, but it's unlike Melissa to say anything mean about a child or a family in general, so I would doubt she meant it to be that way. Nonetheless, she apologized, in words that did not leave doubt on her wish communicate her wish to make amends. Gov. Romney's acceptance was as gracious as could be, and with both of them in the public eye, one could almost have imagined them speaking those words in a room, face-to-face, without the world being aware of what transpired. Can we learn from the graciousness of this, then, and put that to use in further discussions? Can we make some part of our lives about people, and not about politics? Please!

• fani wj, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 7:10 p.m.

"The anchorwoman showed a ton of class and humility with her apology;..." a ton of class?...are you kidding? She started whole thing and where is humility in making fun of children that needed a home?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 6, 2014 6:50 p.m.

Mitt can do far more good in the role he is playing now than the role he would have had to play had he been elected. Pandering to the Tea Party ruined his electability. His response here shows his class and balance... something election politics didn't allow him.

I prefer him being him... then some effigy created to satisfy the tea party.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 5:57 p.m.

Yes, Beck's "been there," but in his case there was always an insult motive intended in his comments. His were never innocent, always affrontive.

Beck's saying, "I've been there," is his clear admission of intended unprofessional verbal assualts for many years.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 5:50 p.m.

Leland, there is free speech, but there is also common decency. She should (nor Beck) need to make their point by disparaging the messenger or attacking their family. Criticize what is said, not who says it. Beck has crossed that line way too often.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 5:49 p.m.

Yes, Beck has been there. Sadly.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Jan. 6, 2014 5:20 p.m.

Classiness Responses Score:

Mitt Romney - 1
    Glenn Beck - Big Fat ZERO!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 5:20 p.m.

"It accomplished nothing but to reflect on her weakness or dislike for African-Americans and that is the sad part."

Melissa Harris Perry dislikes African Americans? Okay you've definitely never seen her show before.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 5:19 p.m.

Amazing that it's news that Mitt accepted the apology..it should be news if he didn't....and I have my doubts as to the sincerity of the complete apology-listen from the beginning- she is rather stern concerning Mitt but when she talks about something important to here she is far more emotional.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:55 p.m.

It's too bad that negative comments were made in the first place - but at least she had the backbone and common decency to apologize and make amends. It accomplished nothing but to reflect on her weakness or dislike for African-Americans and that is the sad part. It will cost her respect and regard by her choice of words. I feel sorry for her. That sweet little child has done nothing to deserve the notoriety and I think the best thing to do is for all of us to forget her poor judgement and pretend it didn't happen. We must forgive her for being less than perfect.

• LelandTC West Valley City, 00
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:37 p.m.

@grj: I think you are missing the point that Glenn Beck is making. It has to do with freedom of speech.
    He screams when a conservative's free speech is being limited by a liberal's complaints. I think he is demonstrating that it does go both ways. That a person has the right to speak their opinion without reprisal. In principle, I agree, but there should be the unwritten rule of decency and compassion. Let's not be afraid to share our honest opinions and give the same respect to others to share theirs. As it applies to this story I think the original comments did show some callousness, and the apology is in good taste, as well as the acceptance of the apology (although I think Romney would have left it as just another person's insensitivity), and Glenn Beck is making his point on something that was less than a debacle.

• John Wilson Idaho Falls, 00
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:32 p.m.

@grj - A "ton of class"??!!? That is a bit of hyperbole, though she did come across as sincere to me. Of course Mitt Romney accepted her apology. What choice did he have? As Christians we are required to forgive everyone, even if they don't ask for it. At least she did offer an apology.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:20 p.m.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but...I have to mostly agree with Beck on this one. It was a comedic moment, clearly not aimed specifically at the Romney family and especially not aimed at the grandchild. We have become so hyper-sensitive and divisive that we are not willing to cut anyone an inch of slack. That said, MSNBC showed a lot of class in apologizing.

• Bob Pomeroy Bisbee, AZ
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:15 p.m.

The comments about Mitt's 'adopted grandchild' are so fatuous as to make me want to spit. I did not vote for him, though I met him when I lived in the Bloomfield Hills steeple on my mission. Just a stupid, belligerent comment about something presupposed.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Don't have a TV so I didn't see the issue in question. What does resonate with me is the hyper-sensitivity the political left has with race when other than their anointed mention anything to do with skin color. With all the comments on race from the media talking heads over this past year doesn't it seem odd that one of the media is dumb enough to enter that briar patch?

If the race of the adopted grandchild was ridiculed, it showed bad taste, insensitivity and immature thought process. How do people like this wind up on national TV? I know it was MSNBC but the dozen viewers who watched the program must be concerned with the quality of the people working in front of the camera.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Um... grj?

[Yes, it was hurtful and divisive, if that was the intent, but it clearly was not,” Beck said.

Ultimately, Beck expressed sympathy for Harris-Perry, stating, "I've been there."]

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    Jan. 6, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Romney is such a good man. Every time I think that we almost had someone that amazing in the White House it breaks my heart. He's got so much class, so mouch experience and is so motivated to do good things. How were we so foolish?

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 3:52 p.m.

I think what I've observed of this whole thing is that people on the right aren't so easily provoked or offended by comments or innuendo that might otherwise be categorized as politically incorrect.

Old news, water under the bridge, bye bye.

However, turn the tables at all and WHAMO!!!

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 3:46 p.m.

Classy response by Romney. He has always been a class act in my book.

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 6, 2014 3:41 p.m.

I like Glenn Beck and listing him in the title made me read the story that I would have skipped over otherwise. He is entertaining and interesting.

• grj Bountiful, ut
    Jan. 6, 2014 2:57 p.m.

I have never found Glenn Beck to be relevant to anything I was interested in and he certainly isn't relevant in any way to this story. The anchorwoman showed a ton of class and humility with her apology; I'm not surprised Mr. Beck didn't recognize those sentiments as they are obviously foreign to him.