MSNBC anchor apologizes for mocking Mitt Romney's family photo with black grandchild

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    Jan. 3, 2014 7:37 a.m.

I don't understand how this could've ever been a thing. Why would anyone, especially on a left media outlet, being that the left speaks so much about tolerance and racial equality, even notice this? Being one who regards a person by their character and not their race (i.e. generally Republican), I didn't even realize one of the children in that photo was black! It just wasn't an issue!

I'm also still waiting to hear Fox go on about racism against Obama. I hear a lot of people complain about racism against him, but I've not but seen and heard racism -from- him.

• digitalcamotim Council Bluffs, IA
    Jan. 3, 2014 5:59 a.m.

AND what does Fox News need to apologize for? Not being lock-step with MSNBC or CNN?

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Jan. 2, 2014 10:30 p.m.

@Objectified: AMEN !

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 2:43 p.m.

@ get her done:

And just why was Romney a poor presidential candidate? Was it...

- Because he believed in a smaller government?
    - Because he thought out-of-control entitlements should be reigned in?
    - Because he wanted to take action against an out-of-control federal deficit?
    - Because he wanted to repeal a disastrous Obamacare program?

I've read almost every book ever written about Romney and also Obama. I consider myself more informed about those two than perhaps 99% of voters.

Romney was more successful in his personal and private life than any other presidential candidate I'm aware of. He is a "get it done" type of guy who has accomplished more in his life than most of ever dream of doing.
    He has done more quiet volunteer work than any other politician I'm aware of.
    He has paid more taxes (tens of $millions) than any other politician I'm aware of.

His opposition claimed he couldn't relate to ordinary people. Yet while going to college full-time he spent 4 years living in a basement apartment while starting a family and eating tons of macaroni and cheese during that time. He's been-there, done-that.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 2:09 p.m.

@ Ranch:

Geez Ranch, if you can't tell the difference between someone explaining their personal bible-based morals when asked, and someone else making fun of a specific family by interjecting race into it... then perhaps you really should get your smeller checked, because you are smelling something that doesn't exist.

There were plenty of people who jumped on Phil for his comments and you went right along. And now with the shoe on the other foot and others jumping on a liberal for obvious tastelessness, you come on all offended and start pulling out your "free speech" card, and with obvious irony, start interjecting hypocrisy into it. Where was that same free speech card of yours when Phil gave his opinion?

Wow! It's apparently time to take a good long look into the mirror.

@ alt34:

Yes, any and all examples you've given so far really are pretty lame... and I'm not even known as a conservative. You should either try again or concede.

@ Bebyebe:

You didn't even try to offer an example. As such, you don't have anything at all to stand on with your weak accusations. Woops!

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 1:52 p.m.

Re: "As commenters above noted there are many more negative comments from many right-wingers that have never been apologized for."

OK, I thought I was done, until I saw the line above.

It's hard enough to believe that liberals equate their suggesting the Romney family is using a beloved family member as a political prop, with good-natured ribbing about being raised on tacos [which I was, BTW, and I take no umbrage whatever at the suggestion.]

But, it's even harder to believe that ANYONE could, with a straight face, suggest liberals are somehow less likely to engage in outrageous racial, ethnic, anti-semitic, social, religious, or political bigotry than conservatives.

Let me mention a few of the many names, since most of their comments would be inappropriate for inclusion in a family paper -- Harry Reid, Robert Byrd, James Abourezk, Julienne Malveaux, Keith Olbermann [serial offender], Martin Bashir [serial offender], Helen Thomas, Howard Dean, Joe Biden, Bill Maher [serial offender], Dan Rather, Jonathan Valania, Al Sharpton [serial offender], Jeremiah Wright [serial offender], Joseph Lowery, Jesse Jackson, Ralph Nader, and, of course Barack Obama [serial offender].

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Jan. 2, 2014 11:56 a.m.

I have no doubt whatsoever this child will be surrounded with so much love in their family life will be wonderful.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Gee wiz liberals. You won. You got Obama to the White House two times. You got your national health care program. You got your same sex marriage stuff. You got a huge entitlement program. You got your huge deficits from huge government spending. (although I have heard some say we haven't spent enough.) You got pretty much everything you wanted. And yet you still can't get over it that a lot of America does not agree with the liberal agenda. So the attack continues on the likes of Romney or Palin, or Fox News ect. If Obama and the Democrat agenda fails. It's not because of McCain, Romney, T-Party, Palin, Cruz, Paul, Lee, or Fox News. It's because it does not work. And America may figure that out pretty soon.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 6:41 a.m.

What about "free speech".

Weren't most of you praising Senior Duck Dude just last week for making negative comments about LGBT citizens and defending his right to "free speech".

Now you're all screaming for someone's head for making negative comments about your favorite GOPer.

I smell some hypocrisy.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 11:52 p.m.

Wow, amazing how ridiculous and petty people are in their views of the world. The black community and all others looking out for the community should welcome with open arms this adoption of a black child by some in the Romney family. At a minimum it suggests acceptance (if the POTUS is not enough). If you believe black Americans have a harder go of it in this country, then this will only help to improve the cause as the Romney see first hand these challenges. And at a very minimum, with so many children born out of wedlock without active or involved fathers in the black community (check the statistics), we can at least be happy for this one child who will grow up with opportunities and privileges seen perhaps by few in the community.

• Summer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 8:45 p.m.

Stuff like this is why I turned from being a liberal who voted for John Kerry in 2004 into a conservative today.

Kudos to the Romney family for their adoption! Shame on those who made fun of the photo!

• Ken Lee Pasadena, CA
    Jan. 1, 2014 8:05 p.m.

who are these libs? I rarely ever meet one. I presume they are small disparate groups that believe they receive benefits from the almighty government so they vote blindly for them and get the lib distasteful ideology. Sickening. Almost every poll show a tiny minority of the population identify as lib, so all the rest of their votes are just bought with taxpayer dollars and promised benefits. for example, Illegal aliens hate everything the libs stand for, except speedy citizenship and welfare. Example: Illegals work hard, disapprove of breaking down the family unit, gay marriage, they pay their own way living many to an apartment, but cannot afford healthcare so they vote Dem. Sad for us all. It's another scarey war on women….geesch.

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 5:32 p.m.

your comments are pretty ignorant. To say that this adoption was for political or some other motivation is wrong. you don't know the hearts of these parents. And why would the child struggle? that child and her family see past color when they look in the mirror.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 1, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Sandy, UT said:

"While I'll agree the MSNBC bantering was classless and the apologies should end it all, I am curious to when the readers of the DNews will aim their worship to the appropriate place. Why is it only MSNBC that fires for over the top rhetoric? Ann Coulter, vile. Sarah Palin, a wannabe Tina Fey. Glenn Beck, a failed comedian. Michelle Bachmann, out and out crazy and a living oxymoron on the Intelligence Committee. But yet, they all have unfettered access to the Fox airwaves. Amazing isn't it? With all the wasted time spent chasing birth certificates makes me wonder what happened to the so-called liberal media."

Keep going Jl. You are doing a great job of representing the liberal media!
    LOL !!!

• get her done Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 3:18 p.m.

Excellent father, poor presidential candidate for president.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 2:34 p.m.

To inject reality into this, the Left has to be held to a higher standard on this. After all, they are the ones to claim they are "open minded", "tolerant" and "accommodating."

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 1:47 p.m.

If you don't have an acquaintance who has adopted a child of a different race you have a pretty small social circle.

Now that I think of it, I have FAMILY with adoptive children of a different race. I had to stop and think, because we don't really think of their race. We just think of them as family.

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 12:24 p.m.

I find it amusing that anyone would try to soften the effect this segment had by saying the hostess said the picture was cute. The point of including the photo was to generate "humorous" comments, right? Saying the photo is "cute" doesn't change that one bit. I have started to wonder if these TV people prepare the apology before the deed so they can get their envelope-shredding (not just envelope-pushing!) jabs out there. As in, "Oh my goodness. No, we weren't intelligent enough to see that coming. We're sooooo sorry!"

With regard to families of one race adopting children of another: I know of more than one family in such a situation. In most cases, they adopt because they have had difficulty conceiving on their own. They certainly don't go out of their way to find children of a different race, but the reality is that there is an imbalance in the races of the number of families looking to adopt and the children themselves up for adoption. I have a great deal of respect for couples willing to be a loving mom and dad to kids regardless of their birth circumstances.

• Jl Sandy, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 11:34 a.m.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 10:55 a.m.

Again my challenge stands. Something to compare with the Bashir and Shultz. Again you dodge.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 10:28 a.m.

This was an unnecessary comment from a single person. As commenters above noted there are many more negative comments from many right-wingers that have never been apologized for.

I guess it's only wrong if your not a republican.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Jan. 1, 2014 10:26 a.m.

I was not stunned when I learned of all this, and went back and watched video of it.
    Mockery and belittlement of the efforts of others has become the flavor of commentary.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

More surprising to me is that the host didn't control the mic and rein it in, as she herself is bi-racial (white mother, black father) and could have dispatched it or pointed out the success possible for children in mixed race families.

And whichever of the Romney boys and wife who adopted this child; good on ya ! and Best Wishes for providing the best upbringing a child could desire. May God continue to lead your efforts.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Like Eric Bolling who asked if Sasha and Malia are going on birth control? The comments Rush Limbaugh made about Sandra Fluke? Hannity joking that Coulter might sue him for harrassment by the end of the show (joking about the allegations against Herman Cain)? Didn't we just have a white Santa/Jesus controversy? O'Reilly's racist rant that included noting how he was surprised a Harlem restaurant (Sylvia's) actually had customers acting like those in an all-white suburban restaurant?

Oh, and don't call my taco thing tame when we're commenting on an article about a liberal host who thought a picture was cute.

"And then suggest that this adoption was politically inspired. These are why I depise the left. "

Those comments made by a few people here are nonsensical. Oh and if that's why you despise the left, I'd invite you to read the comments on any blaze article that is about Obama (like one that's more non-political like one with him reading a book to children) and try and convince me there isn't a lot of hate there.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 9:49 a.m.

Those of you who have said that Fox or Talk radio attack like MSNBC let's hear some examples and don't make them a weak one like atl gave.

Lets see one like Bashir made on Sarah Palin, Or one like Schultz made on Laura Ingaham. Not some little watered down one like the above mentioned.

Imagine the opportunity that this little kid has recieved? Consider MSNBC is owned by ComCast. Maybe some dollars should be diverted from their coffers.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 9:20 a.m.

You know... have any of you actually seen the video? It was a guest that made the joke (granted the table laughed). Melissa herself was saying it was cute. This wasn't nearly as bad as all the ranting and demands for apologies made it seem.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 9:11 a.m.

Perhaps MSNBC would also like to make jokes about the President being abandoned by his black father and white mother and left to be raised by his white grandparents?

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 9:03 a.m.

Racism is alive and well at MSNBC.

• Pragmatic One Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 1, 2014 7:42 a.m.

Let's face it. The days of Edward R Murrow and Walter Cronkite are over. Now all we have are pretty girls with leg lights and men with a great profile in front of the camera who don't know thing one about journalism. It's unfortunate that the ratings grabbers decide to put these type of irresponsible people on camera and ignore the truly gifted journalists who have the ethics, integrity, and skills of the journalists of days gone by.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 1, 2014 7:22 a.m.

I strongly condemn the comments. It has no place. Those on the left see themselves as more "accepting" and "accommodating", but in the end, they will take shots at anything on the opposite side for political gain.

That said, the right is certainly no better. But that is no excuse.

I hope that 2014 brings a shift towards "good of country" over "good for party".

Highly HIGHLY unlikely, but one can dream.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Jan. 1, 2014 7:07 a.m.

I consider myself a moderate who voted for Obama in the general election and Romney when he ran. I say this as a non partsian MSNBC is much worse then Fox when it comes to being "ugly" and unfair. My freinds on the left do not like being challenged while those on the right are used to being challenged because there is a natural bias in the media favoring the left. MSNBC makes no attempt to give both sides as Fox does a decent job of having both sides. The Left assumes their view is the more intelligent view and those who disagree are "unintelligent" and need reeducation.

• Oh My Heck! Vernal, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 2:50 a.m.

Unbelievable! What on earth difference does it make what color an adopted child is? The fact that this family loved this little guy enough to give him a home is what matters. They are not making any kind of statement...like the "token" black kid...they are just loving him like all the rest of the kids. We are all God's children, black, white, yellow or purple. I can't believe how tactless these comments were. This little boy doesn't care about right and left, liberal or conservative. He doesn't even know what any of that means. Why does everyone seem to have to politicize something that has nothing to do with politics?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 1, 2014 2:29 a.m.

"Meanwhile --
    5 years and counting---

Typical of the far left - your comparison, and feeble argument is weak to say the least. Forbid anyone DISAGREES with Barack Hussein Obama, or they will be branded a racist by you and yours.

• Sheldon L Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 1:20 a.m.

Actually, percentage-wise, the Romney grandchildren are blacker than about half of the states in the US, and about the same as Massacusetts and California.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 1:07 a.m.

So a Christmas Family Photo spews hatred? My, small minds have no trouble making an issue where none exists or mocking others, do they? Where are the apologies for all the hateful things they said about "Mormons?" I guess it's ok to make fun of them, apparently, but what if they said the same things about any other religion?

The PC Police sort of stepped on themselves this time. Pretty standard for the media and Hollywood types, in my experience. They just can't handle that Mitt is a decent person, as is his family.

And so it goes...........

• omahahusker Modesto, CA
    Dec. 31, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Maybe if more affluent citizens of our nation adopted a child of poor or unfortunate circumstance and not try make a political statement out of everything, things could get better in the USA. The Romney's did a chartiable thing and a few selfish commentators lash out because they can't control their hatred. Better days would come if folks worked on making things better. Tragically all events are put in political terms. For the New Year, we can do better.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Dec. 31, 2013 5:33 p.m.

They should yank her off the show,but they are afraid of both her viewers.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Another example of the "tolerant" left showing just how intolerant they actually are. They love to scream racism at every turn and display their own racism daily.

• Duckhunter SLC, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Interesting that the Romney's adoption of a black child would be anything other than praised by lib's. Isn't it evidence of multicultural success? Even more interesting are comments like the ones made by eisenhower. It appears it is now a sign of racism to be a conservative seeking to breakdown racial barriers by adopting children of other races and providing them with loving, stable homes. Hmmm......

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 5:00 p.m.

You want liberals to come up with Fox statements that can be considered offensive towards particular demographics or people? Hmm, I'm going to pick this one since it was at the expense of one of their own employees which is rather unique for Fox offensive statements:

Fox and Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade joked that their meteorologist Maria Molina grew up on tacos (it was National Taco Day). Steve Doocy tried to note that she was Columbian. Molina had to correct both because she was born in Nicaragua and tacos aren't a Nicaraguan food.

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 31, 2013 4:54 p.m.

"I'm still waiting for apologizes for all those 'mocking' comments FoxNews and AM radio have made towards our 'black' President."

Harry Reid is the only person that I know of who has mocked Barrack Hussein Obama when he said what he said about him... something about being 'light skinned' and 'with no Negro dialect' in private conversations during the 2008 presidential campaign... and for which he later, to his credit, apologized.

• Pacific_Creek Puyallup, WA
    Dec. 31, 2013 4:01 p.m.

@eisenhower I'm not sure the race of adoptive parents matters. If it did there would be far fewer adoptions in the world. Should we also leave all the girls in China to sit in orphanages unless they can be adopted by Asian parents? What about all the babies in Russia? Do they need to stay they and be raised in their mother country?

If you are an adoptive parent then I don't think you care about the race of the child. I certainly didn't when going through the adoption process. When filling out the adpoption papers you have the chance choose by race.

The love of a parent should be able to transcend the differences of race and cultures.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:58 p.m.

The left has a hard time apologizing. They are not offended by anything they say because it's normal and accepted.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Some of the comments here are way out of line to the ones I read on liberal sites like Yahoo. Almost no one elsewhere is defending MSNBC in any way nor criticizing the Romney's in any way for this innocent Christmas card photo that the press got a hold of. Just sad.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Re: "It is rather cavalier for the Romneys to adopt a black child when their entire family background has no relevance of the needs of that community."

-- sigh --

Have liberals really come to that?

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Re: "I'm still waiting for apologizes for all those "mocking" comments FoxNews and AM radio have made towards our "black" President."

Which ones, in particular?

I can't think of a one, but then, I'm not as laser focused on race-baiting as are liberals.

It'd be interesting to see if liberals can actually come up with something. Even more interesting if they could come up with something as disgusting as the vile, race, sex and religion-based mockery of Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Artur Davis, Allen West, Mr. Justice Thomas, and nearly every conservative "FoxNews and AM radio" host.

And, BTW, President Obama really is Black. You don't need to place a lower-case description in quotes, as if it's a secret or not really true.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 2:49 p.m.

This is strange. Yeah, it was a dumb thing to comment on. Martin Bashir made a very bad comment, and he's gone.

But I head every day horrendous comments coming from those on the right. Terrible personal attacks on individuals and groups. Attacks from the likes of Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, Coulter, Gutfeld, Palin, duck dynasty dude, etc, and various conservative politicians on the right.

And yet I hear very little blowback against these right wing people. Is it because their nasty comments are so constant, so consistant, that they are just ignored for the most part by the press? The press just figures it for being what it is?

• fani wj, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 2:17 p.m.

@ Henry what does this story has anything to do with Fox News?

@ airnaut
    "I'm still waiting for apologizes for all those "mocking" comments FoxNews and AM radio have made towards our "black" President." Can you list the examples of what you're referring?

Here are my examples:
    1. The libs accused teaparty of being racist but failed to provide any evidence even with $100,000 reward for anyone to produce evidence
    2. Obama said if he had a son he will look like Trayvon Martin, but a few months ago 3 black teens were bored and decided to gun down an Australian baseball player in Oklahoma for the heck of it... Obama was no where to be found to claim the likeness of his "if he had a son" to those 3 black teens...

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Where is Jesse Jackson or that other guy that are always trying to get on tv for issues regarding race? Why aren't they all over this one?

The news anchors would be fired and there would be protests in the streets if the tables were turned.

• Eisenhower_Dwight_D Santa Fe, NM
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:38 p.m.

You do have to admit however. the adoption is pretty bizarre. No? We're not talk pets here, we're talking HUMAN beings. Cultural backgrounds and involvement in a child's life on a deeper level. having money does not make an adoption credible, plausible, or ultimately, do-able. How is this child going to adapt to a lilly-white environ? Sounds weird to me.

• Eisenhower_Dwight_D Santa Fe, NM
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:34 p.m.

Well, from an objective perspective. 1) It seems the show's moderator did NOT attack the child but that guests made the comments. 2) It is rather cavalier for the Romneys to adopt a black child when their entire family background has no relevance of the needs of that community. I really do not think adoption of a child is like adopting a pet. Of course, there are probably practical motives and considerations behind this adoption, especially if they want to create a political dynasty.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:29 p.m.

Agreed, not only tackles but very disappointing from someone who should not only know better, but who by instinct should never react that way.

It will be interesting to see what MSNBC does.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Now if we could only get some folks on Fox to apologize for their statements. Never happens. MSNBC apologizes. CNN apologizes. Fox?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Maybe if she were a conservative christian white duckhunter instead of a liberal from an interracial family it'd be okay.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Dec. 31, 2013 12:59 p.m.

pretty tackless.

Meanwhile --
    5 years and counting---

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 31, 2013 11:50 a.m.

I have to admit that I'm not only tired of Fox News' hyper-partisanship, but MSNBC hyper-partisanship as well. Give it a rest everyone.