Sports

Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes ready for next chapter of season

Comments

• Provo, Ute Fan St. George, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 3:09 p.m.

@Tators

Why are you even responding back to Chris B? I am a big Utah fan but I am emberrased for him and to be a Utah fan when he comments. If everyone would ignore him, he will go away.

I do not hate BYU, I have a few buddies playing for the cougies and still support them. I don't like a lot of things about BYU sports programs, and I think Utah is 10X better off but still show them respect.

Go Utes
    Go Cougs,
    Go Aggies

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 8:41 p.m.

Chris B,

Why all the focus on BYU? You seem obsessed which is odd because they aren't in our conference. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Utah fan and have enjoyed many, many Utah vs. BYU football and basketball games over the years. I've had season tickets for nearly 30 years to both football and basketball and love my Utes.

We can always find arrogance and ignorance in both fan bases (see Duckhunter and Chris B as examples). But the bottom line is, we have gone in different directions and can now hope all schools do well except for when they play Utah or a PAC-12 school.

Tators: Utah was in the Sweet 16 with Andrew Bogut 2004-2005 season.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 5:02 p.m.

@ Chris B:

Just for the record, when I realized I didn't go an entire week without posting after the Ute win, and since I wasn't even aware you had taken me up on the bet, I then went from that point on for more than an entire week without posting on any Ute article. Go back and check. I did go to the effort to keep my end of the bet... once someone pointed out that you had actually accepted it.
    Therefore, back-off from your soapbox.

Arrogance is in the eyes of the beholder. You see more than really exists from BYU fans. The only thing that actually bothers you is that BYU fans call you out on your silly anti-BYU tirades. You come across as not being able to live without them. The truth that seems to bother you so much is that BYU has owned Utah in basketball, just like Utah has BYU in football.

BTY: At least BYU as been to the Sweet 16 in the past few years. Just how far back are you going to try to make your point?
    Hint: It's been closer to decades than just years for Utah.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Tators, you don't appreciate sarcasm, I can see. My comment was in jest of the handful of anti-Utah BYU fans that are beneath the level of ever saying "good game," and deem any Utah win over BYU or any good team in anything (other than gymnastics) a "fluke." I don't pretend to know what "rules" these people base their definition of a fluke on, I just know that they will never give credit where it's due, so I attempted some humor at guessing.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Tator,

The funny thing about byu being on a downward spiral is that even when you were at the "top" it was a single sweet 16 trip, and not a single game beyond that. What an impressive accomplishment! You must be so proud.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Tator, some pretty holier than thou comments from someone who promised per our wager that you wouldn't post on sports comments for a full week after a Utah win over byu and them did not do as you promised.

And yes, it's funny knowing your "quest" for march madness is over !

I sure hope you byu fans enjoyed your incredible success of the past decade.

It ended with a sink sweet 16 trip, 0 sweet 16 wins, 0 elite eight trips, and 0 final fours.

With how arrogant byu fans have been the past decade you woul think they would have the most recent final four or sweet 16 win

But those belong to the Utah utes!

Enjoy west coast cupcake play. And now, byu IS the cucpake!

Lol'

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:47 p.m.

@ StGtoSLC:

Why are you trying so hard to put yourself in the same negative category as Chris B with your silly little rules and such? Are you going to also make game guarantees that you personally have no control over? Chris still hasn't realized that is where the real egg on someone's face comes from. A non-monetary bet won't cause it. But an unfulfilled personal guarantee always does.

Since you don't seem to own a dictionary, let me explain. A fluke is a one-time event. And since BYU beat Stanford on their home court and almost did the same to Oregon, not many expected as good a showing from Utah as they did. Certainly not Las Vegas or any other college sports ranking services.
    Maybe that BYU game was a fluke and maybe it wasn't. But since Utah has played only one junior college team since then, no one still knows... not even you or Chris B... though apparent arrogance won't allow either of you to admit it.

Since BYU has been falling down on the job, I'm still hoping both USU and the Utes will represent our state well.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:24 p.m.

@ Chris B:

You really should stop your gloating. It's totally classless. Perhaps that's why other Ute fans on these posts keep dis-owning you. And it's not hard to see why. All your petty little "lol" inserts are actually childish.

You should try following the positive examples of a few other Ute fans... such as Seattle-Ute and UteBy5. They usually show class whether the Ute teams win or lose. And I greatly respect them for it.
    I've been waiting a long time for you to give me a reason to show you some personal respect. Your posts on this article certainly didn't do it.

BTW: Finishing the football season with a losing record was not considered a "win" by most Ute players and fans. Consequently, the Colorado victory didn't leave a lot to cheer about.
    I was actually pulling for Utah to get back to a bowl game this year in order to help represent our state well. Having them, USU and BYU all go to bowl games would've been great... as happened a few years ago.

When was the last time you've had a similar wish toward the Cougars?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 31, 2013 3:06 p.m.

@ Chris B:

My bad. I did make a mistake about Texas going to a BCS bowl game... after they ended up doing much better than you and many others thought they would do in their conference. But unlike you, I have no problem admitting my mistakes.
    However, this one mistake (unlike most of your unfulfilled game guarantees) won't cost me too much credibility.

After always being a bad loser, you've just shown yourself to be an ever worse winner.

@ UtesBy5:

You are right. Things are not going so well in basketball for my Cougars. In fact, it's going surprisingly bad. On the contrary, things are quite positive for the Utes. And since I'm a big fan of coach Larry K., I hope they continue that way. In fact, they may surprise some people sooner than many are predicting. But with their extra soft schedule so far, it's a bit too early to make an accurate determination as to just how good they really are right now.

Hopefully, when their conference games start, they will do better than my Cougar. The Utes are rising while my Cougars seem to be fading. I wish both teams well.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 10:54 p.m.

UtesBy5: "With BYU losing back to back games at LMU and Pepperdine to begin WCC play, I think we already know it wasn't a fluke."

Nah, cause those games were flukes, too. You're allowed up to 10 fluke games a year, so BYU still has a few more to give up, and Utah might win 9 more cause they only used one of their fluke games on BYU. That's the rules.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 10:22 p.m.

@Objectified:

"But it shouldn't take much longer before we will all know whether the BYU game was a fluke and if the Utes are truly for real."

With BYU losing back to back games at LMU and Pepperdine to begin WCC play, I think we already know it wasn't a fluke. Utah may have chosen to play a very soft preconference schedule but their SOS will become respectable over the course of the next 18 PAC-12 games while BYU's weak conference schedule will hurt their SOS and tournament hopes without a quality win in the preseason.

Utah is still a couple of years away from where their program needs to be but the recent recruits will help keep Utah competitive in the PAC-12 this year. If you watched the Utah vs. BYU game you would know it wasn't a fluke. Utah has longer, more athletic wings and more size inside as well. The biggest advantage Utah had was at PG. No it wasn't a fluke and yes, Utah will probably finish in the middle of the PAC-12 standings this year.

Go Utes! Good luck Cougars.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 4:28 p.m.

Tators,

We DID win our final football game, agains our rival no less!

Unlike byu.

And how was the egg on the face when we bet on the Utah byu game?

Lol!

At least you have women's soccer!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Tators,

You lost a ton of credibility when a few days ago you said Texas won the big 12 and would be playing in a bcs bowl. Still waiting on your explanation of that one, so you understand why anything you say will be taken with more than a grain of salt.

Or remember when you promised me you wouldn't post on sports articles for a week if Utah beat byu and then you didn't fulfill your promise ?

You are just jealous we owned byu and are in a much better position than your precious cougars who got handled by Mary Loyola community college!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 4:03 p.m.

@ JohnInSLC:

I do look in the mirror before every sport comment I post. That's what helps keep me from being anti-everything Utah in the same way Chris B is anti-everything BYU. It also keeps me from making such outlandish personal "guarantees" about the outcome of games before they're ever played... the way Chris does, and which often causes him personal embarrassment..

Am I a Ute fan? I am... except for when they are playing either BYU or USU, the 2 alumni schools of my entire extended family. And I never denigrate Utah in the same way and level that Chris does BYU (and sometimes the way you do). I usually just try to correct erroneous posts about BYU from overzealous Ute fans.

Also, I ALWAYS want any college team from our state to win whenever they play any team from out-of-state... regardless of conference affiliation or lack thereof. Chris has never wanted BYU to be victorious... ever!

For those reasons, John, I see a totally different kind of image than Chris B does when looking in the sports mirror. Go back and check our posts over the past 6 months to see a distinct difference.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 30, 2013 3:04 p.m.

oddman

great comment, made me chuckle

This team is obviously better and more talented than last years team. I think they could be a 9-11 win team in the Pac-12. IF they pull that off, and a couple of tournament wins that would put them in the 22-24 win category which might be enough for a NCAA bid.

Here's to staying healthy and making a big splash this week against the Oregon schools.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:14 p.m.

"Start thinking through your comments before continuing to embarrass yourself with totally biased remarks."

Wow! Look in the mirror, man!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 12:28 p.m.

Objectified

Don't worry about Chris B. If Chris really didn't think BYU was any good at all then he wouldn't bother commenting on them in every post he writes.

While BYU has their issues, they're still a quality team and program. The truth is that Utah and BYU have been very close to equals both this year and last year.

That said, I'd be a little worried if I was a coug fan that Utah is quickly making strides toward become the clear cut leader in the state of Utah once again. I'm not too certain the Lone Peak College kids and all the legacy Cougar kids in the world will be able to stop the momentum on the hill.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 12:15 p.m.

@ Chris:

I noticed you conveniently forgot to mention the only game the Utes have played on the road so far this season (after a third of it has been played)... a loss to Boise State.

If the Utes can't beat a middle Mountain West Conference team (the only one they scheduled)... a conference you are always putting down as totally inferior to the PAC12... then how can you realistically expect the Utes to compete in their own world-class conference?

P.S. I definitely remember you foreseeing a top 4 finish for the Ute football team in the "prestigious" PAC12 (as you put it) just a few months ago. How well did your vision work out in that case? And there was also your written "guarantee" of a win in their final football game last month that then turned to personal egg-on-face.
    Hopefully, you are starting to realize why so many readers take your extremely biased comments with a grain of salt.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 11:49 a.m.

@ Chris B:

If you claim BYU is not a "real team", then because BYU beat Stanford at Stanford and also took Oregon into overtime on their own court, then you are by extension claiming that the PAC12 is not a real conference.

BYU played and competed strongly with more nationally ranked teams in the past 2 months than the Utes will over the next several years. But the tight little crimson bubble you live in always keeps you from actually seeing many such sport realities.

I actually hope the Utes are for real. But given their pre-conference mostly division II schedule that was basically all played in the security of their own friendly home court, it's almost impossible to make any objective assessments at this point.

But it shouldn't take much longer before we will all know whether the BYU game was a fluke and if the Utes are truly for real. Hitting the road (though not happening yet again for another week) and finally playing a significant number of division 1 teams will either verify or expose the Utes.

Again, I do hope they are actually for real... unlike a few of their bubble enclosed fans.

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 11:12 a.m.

@byufanman - I assume you're talking about your team down south...

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Nice to see a couple of the guys getting healthy before entering Pac-12 play. If this team can remain healthy and committed to team defense and the extra pass, well, the sky's the limit.

• byufanman west valley city, utah
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:57 a.m.

This team just isn't very good.

• oddman ,
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Has been exciting to see the eternal foe return to prominence. Makes for much more interesting season. Besides their great guards they have such potential among the tall timber. And the Y sure has fizzled and popped. Let's hope the balloon still has some ability to hold air.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 3:01 a.m.

Yes we are

I agree with crow, I can see a top 4 finish in the prestigious PAC 12 and the dance is a real possibility.

Playing teams like Katherine community and byu didn't us prepare for real teams in the PAC 12, so we shall see.

Go utes!

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 29, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Coach K is building the program right. I could not be happier having him in charge of our program. I would not be surprised if Utah finished 3rd behind AZ and UCLA and make the NCAA tournament. Utah has depth a true athletic guard and a nucleus of defensive minded players. This team reminds me of a Majerus coached team. I can't wait for the conference season to start.