Faith

Elder David Archuleta sends Christmas wish and message

Comments

• 1Observer Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:33 a.m.

I find it interesting that some feel that they are in a position to know his heart and judge his motives. I personally don't care when it was filmed and what his personal motivation was or is. That's between him and the Lord. From what I saw it was an inspiring, uplifting and faith-promoting message. Why can't we just accept it for that and move on, without having to judge motives or to try and figure out when it was filmed. Who cares? Since i am not serving a mission with him I can't say how hard he is or isn't working. Again, that is between Elder Archuleta and the Lord. Lacking any direct knowledge I choose to assume the best and give him the benefit of the doubt. I think that is what we all hope for from others when we are being judged, evaluated, etc and they have no direct knowledge of our actions or motives.

• violet4ever Downingtown, PA
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:21 a.m.

What should be obvious in the video above, recorded before his mission in early 2012 - in the video his hair is not yet missionary length. His missionary hair is so short it looks like paint, not like the hair in the video. He also is not yet wearing his missionary tag. And In Chile right now it is summer, not scarf weather. But I agree - I wish videos like this one were labeled with a recorded-on date so people wouldn't get confused every time and start judging him. David does the same work everyone else does on his mission. David also did work before his mission, speaking at stakes wherever he was in the world. Sometimes he gets to sing on his mission and usually that is in devocionals instead of sitting with the other missionaries. At Christmas there are a couple of public mission concerts featuring missionaries and members and David was just one of the soloists. There were other missionaries in the choir. And there were missionaries in the audience with investigators they brought to see it.

• Pa Papa Houston, TX
    Dec. 29, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Where is the love of the Savior evidenced in the comments being made. Elder Archuletta is engaged in spreading the love and message of the Savior, and is a fine example of a priesthood holder honoring the calling which he has received to spread the gospel to all nations kindreds, tongues and peoples. Using the electronic media is the way the brethren have encouraged us to share the message of the Gospel.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 29, 2013 8:46 a.m.

@ Coach Biff...it's only sad because you know I'm right.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Dec. 28, 2013 10:03 p.m.

If his mission president approves of the activities and assignments he's got, that's what he's supposed to be doing there; doesn't matter if anyone else did a lot of tracting etc. He's doing good, call it good. It may include some unusual elements from time to time due to his fame. I'm a 56 y.o. man who is amazed that this young guy, with major artistic visibility has put it largely on the side to have this life experience and serve like his age peers. He'll never regret it, nor will those with whom he's been influential in sharing the gospel.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Dec. 28, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Two things, from what has been posted. I think that it should have been stated that this message was while he was still at home. And it has been a while, but I thought the missionaries wear their name tags on P Day. He did seem awfully young and didn't seem to have the same aura that he did when he sang in those videos of him on his mission. I can see his manager doing this, it would be like a parent trying to help a child get into school before they get off their mission. So I take back my comments, but wish that they would have stated this was done before his mission. And again, now that I think about it, he seemed more like a young boy in this one and not the young man from the one this last month.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Dec. 28, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Sad to be critical of these kids. Wow.

• Don Ira St George, UT
    Dec. 28, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Where has Elder David Archuleta or Sister Elizabeth Swift, preformed or been that has excluded him/her from doing as every other Elder or Sister been or doing. I am curious since I have only served local service missions and know of no celebrities serving with us.
    Your reply is greatly appreciated!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 28, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Yes I did go on a Mission. And I tracted every single day of the week as well as every other missionary in our mission. I also understand that the Church puts those with a public image on a pedestal and their not treated the same as everyone else. I'm also not blaming them for doing so. But I know for a fact that other missionaries wouldn't be so pleased when they're soaked the gills out doing what they're called to do and "others" are place performing in warm and dry theater.
    This has nothing to do with money, it has everything to do with image. As a mission president I would never have had Elizabeth Smart out tracting either. And she didn't. Celebrity brings it challenges but I still don't thing if a young man/woman is of such a celebrity status that they have to be treated "differently" then they shouldn't go on a mission. Just saying.

• John T Scranton, PA
    Dec. 27, 2013 9:25 p.m.

I find it rather bothersome to see negative comments in here regarding Elder Archuleta's motives. If this young man was all about money, he would have skipped the mission altogether and instead followed a path not unlike that of the recreant Justin Bieber, whose juvenile antics seem to be in the news almost every day. I for one respect Elder Archuleta for his choice to serve, and he will be blessed for it - as will those have been positively affected from his mission work.

• violet4ever Downingtown, PA
    Dec. 27, 2013 7:05 p.m.

Elder Archuleta does what all of the other missionaries do. He carries a backpack and goes door to door and he worked his way up from junior companion to zone leader. The video message was prerecorded in 2012 prior to his mission and so were the any other video messages that fans have received while he's gone. He also recorded a whole album "BEGIN" before his mission. He does get some chances to sing hymns on the mission as do other missionaries with singing or musical talent. And Elder Archuleta does have a personal 1/2 day a week like every other missionary and very very rarely he forwards a message for everyone to see. He has no missionary blog where letters are posted, something many other missionaries do have.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Dec. 27, 2013 4:10 p.m.

AKA please buy my CD and make Desert Book money.

• kjr6 Gig Harbor, WA
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:59 p.m.

My son is serving in the same mission as Elder Archuletta and I can tell you he is working hard just like all the other missionaries (which still includes a lot of tracting). They walk(and tract) on average 15-20 miles a day. I think it's great that he can be a missionary and still use his talent with music to bless many people all over the world. He has an amazing opportunity to share the gospel and is doing it in many wonderful ways. Pretty cool.

• 3sons Ladson, SC
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Judging from his dress, it is/was his P-Day and I'm sure he had his Mission President's approval.

• SAMom Ladson, SC
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:38 p.m.

Judging by his dress, it is/was his P-Day and I'm sure he had his Mission President's approval.

• cassiem Brigham City, Utah
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:36 p.m.

The video was made before he went on his mission. His manager posted it on twitter for him.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:36 p.m.

So was he sending this as a missionary or a professional? I would have been more inspired by his message if he had been in his suit.

• Annie M. Waupaca, WI
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:27 p.m.

Elder Archuleta pre-recorded all of his messages before he left on his mission. His manager posts his comments. He has magnified his duties as a missionary and has served as a zone leader.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:16 p.m.

He is probably reaching a hundred times more people doing this than tracting. What a wonderful idea...reaching many, many more people with a wonderful message.

• MMVIII Y ALUM Vancouver, WA
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Dennis, do you know anything about missions? If you served one, you would know that you don't only tract. There's something called a P-day where you get half a day to relax. Missionaries can sight see, write letters, nap, play sports and yes send encouraging messages to people. In some missions, tracting isn't allowed. It wasn't when I served in India. Also, tracting is one of the least effective ways to share the gospel.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2013 3:13 p.m.

Dennis, because in today's missionary work, everyone else isn't out tracting. Hashtag get with the times.

• Annie M. Waupaca, WI
    Dec. 27, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Elder Archuleta pre-recorded all messages before leaving on his mission. His manager posts his comments for him. He has been magnifying his duties as a missionary and has served as a zone leader.

• amagnetick AV, CA
    Dec. 27, 2013 2:41 p.m.

@ Dennis, Why, are you his Mission President?

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Dec. 27, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Well, Dennis, I'm sure he's done a lot of that. I know I did. How do you know he hasn't?

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 27, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Why isn't he out tracting like everyone else?