Sports

BYU football: Cougars return to practice in preparation for bowl game vs. Washington

Comments

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 8:39 a.m.

@skywalker

1. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...the cougs had the same opportunity as the Utes, literally. Same conference, similar schedules and could not get teh BCS games. You can postulate and hypothosize all day, BCS bowl games: Utes 2-0 cougs 0.

2. Nobody knows what would have happened had Utah been in the PAC 10 years ago and only BYU fans care to think about it.

3. Too many of you cougs pay attention to an obnoxious commenter that has nothing to do with University of Utah athletics.

4. BYU will probably win their bowl game against the 6th choice of the PAC12 that has an interim coach at the helm. This will be good practice there ore lots of teams on the schedule next year with new coaches.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 22, 2013 9:36 a.m.

@Ed Grady

You are right when you say I do think most of us do "Get it" that the PAC-12 is a tough conference. Although a few such as Duckhunter still don't get it. And you are right that I "don't get it" that Utah can't compete in the PAC-12. Beating the number 7th ranked team in the country and the conference champion, losing to the south division champion and top 25 team by one point, going into overtime with a team that had been ranked in the top 25, losing to another top 25 ranked team by 1 touchdown, losing to another top 25 ranked team by 12 points would by my (and I think most everyone's) definition of competing. Yes, in those games we were 1-4, but I think we "competed" very well. After all, don't you think you competed with Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Utah and even Virginia. All were losses by 7-10 points each - but don't you secretly think the Y competed?

I do recognize it's in the definition of competing. So I won't try to influence your opinion.

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 5:40 p.m.

I, too, am a little pessimistic as to the outcome for BYU against the Huskies in their upcoming bowl game (for Chris B, and UoU football players and fans in general, a bowl game is one of a number of post-season college football games that are primarily played by teams from the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision with .500 or better season records. The term "bowl" originated from the Rose Bowl Stadium, site of the first post-season college football games). But, I am a little amused how BYU "fans" are so quick to assume the Cougars have no chance at beating Washington. BYU was in almost every game they lost thi year. Losing by only ten points to ND and Wis on their home turf encourages me to think they have a good shot at beating Wshington on a neutral field.

A new system being installed accounts for the inconsentency of the offense this year. Anae was limited in how creative he could be until after the players gained some experience. With a full season now behind them and several weeks to prepare, maybe they can keep it interesting. However, this is BYU...

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Chris B is terribly mistaken to believe anyone outside SLC looks at Utah as a worthy addition to the PAC-12. I posted about this earlier, but, it bears repeating. Yesterday, ESPN posted a video ( College Football Realignment Scorecard) of three of their college football analysts discussing the winners and losers in the recent conference realignment. All of them agreed that Larry Scott, and the PAC-12, were the runaway losers and have not received any ROI from the addition of Utah or CO. They implied that adding Utah was a huge mistake, though, one analyst did say that CO was going in the right direction.

Utah, thus far, has been a total bust in the PAC-12 and no one who matters is thinking Utah will ever be anything more than the kid who snuck into the black tie banquet dressed in a T-shirt, cut off denim shorts while wearing dress socks and sandals. Everyone who does belong is whispering to one another and asking how that kid got past security.

BTW--no matter how many times anyone tries to make this about BYU or SOS it still doesn't change the truth that Utah is in way over their heads.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Everyone calm down. Look at bronco's bowl record. He knows way more than you all and he will have the guys ready to go.
    Go beat em Cougs!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:53 a.m.

@ChrisB
    And if the Utes get to ride the coattails of their Pac brothers like Oregon and Stanford then Byu gets to claim the glories of ND football. they went to the NC last year right? so they lost to a NC contender, Byu already has an NC so now it got a share of playing in the title game then right?

• See It SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:44 a.m.

I am a cougar fan. But let's be realistic. We are going to get punched in the mouth. We have no creativity other than running up the middle or letting Taysom run. The huskies have been practicing for weeks now. 6 practices before this bowl game is not going to cut it. Besides did you read a couple of weeks ago that Bronco and Anae don't scheme for teams? They just do their regular stuff, which against good teams doesn't work. We saw that this year. Plus the offensive line does little to help. This game will probably be a total beat down. Bronco and friends just can't win the big ones. It will be no different than it has all year against quality opponents. When it is all over, we will hear Bronco say, "We just didn't execute as cleanly as we could have." I'm tired of the same old excuses. Merry Christmas Everyone!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:12 a.m.

TO THE WHINERS: BYU with a new offense and an "freshman" QB won lost 4 games. Lavell was great, but BYU was way ahead of the curve with the West Coast Offense. Since the magical 1980s BYU's record was less stellar. Bronco, in a new area has a record equal to Lavells.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:00 a.m.

@Chris B
    No need to join them when Byu still gets national recognition and goes to bowl games? LOL

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:16 p.m.

Chris,

It's time to get a life. Utah's football season is over. No need to continue to comment.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 4:16 p.m.

We won't need any more practices than this to beat Washington.

They are no good since they could only finish 6th in the PAC 12.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2013 4:06 p.m.

The utes grabbing onto the greater skills of other teams for recognition is rather pathetic. No pride!

Next year, stand on your own two feet, and try becoming bowl eligible.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I would like to see the 9 unused practices put to good use by working with the younger players and getting them ready to step in next year. Hopefully that would prevent another Virginia debacle at the first of the year.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 20, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Chris B

Remind us which bowl opponent Utah is practicing for.

LOL!

The truth is, every time you whine about how tough Utah's schedule has been since joining the PAC, you further invalidate Utah's BCS bowl appearances.

If the Utes had been in the PAC 12 in 2004 and 2008:

2004 - the Utes would have been destroyed by USC(13-0), California(10-2), and Arizona State(9-3) to finish no better than 4th in the PAC.

2008 - the Utes would have been destroyed by USC(12-1) and Oregon(10-3) to finish no better than 3rd in the PAC.

Sorry to burst your crimson bubble, but the Utes never would have busted the bcs if they'd had to go through a PAC schedule to get there.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Chris you are too kind. Referring to the other PAC schools as your brothers when they constantly treat your beloved team as the red-headed step-child they really are.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 2:25 p.m.

byufan,

"If you can't beat'em, join'em"

Exactly.

And based on byu's recent BCS success(or lack thereof), the question remains, why hasn't byu joined?

• General Alpine, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:24 a.m.

EVERYONE says that a bowl game is a great opportunity to get in something similar to spring practice to bring along the players that will be more involved next year. Yet Bronco and his team choose not to do so, allowing themselves 6 practices instead of the allotted 15.

I'm a huge BYU fan but have to side with the naysayers here about the chances of BYU winning. At least there aren't the crazy predictions about BYU blowing out Washington and winning easily like we saw before the UTE, Notre Dame and Wisconsin games.

The best hope we have in this bowl game is a disorganized and disheartened Washington team. If they bring their A game BYU will lose.

Would be nice to hear about Van Noy's health. The worst kept secret around is that he was injured for the last few games and they are keeping it quiet for draft purposes.

• BYU fan of the North usa, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:20 a.m.

@Chris
    Your brothers in the Pac 12? lol haha You have got to be kidding me, right? For how long did I read your comments that Utah did not need to be in a major conference to be considered nationally recognized? Were they your brothers when the senators and Attorney general from Utah were filing a non fair business practice lawsuit at the request of Dr. Chris Hill? Were they your brothers when you guys went to the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls and got screwed in your national ranking? Well hey, if you can't beat'em, join'em!

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Chris B

The #10 PAC 12 team beat Stanford, but that didn't prevent Stanford from winning the PAC 12 championship.

Since U weren't good enough to qualify for a bowl, here's a little reminder of how BYU and Utah have done versus Washington:

BYU 4-4 versus Washington, Bronco 2-0
    Utah 0-8 versus Washington, Kyle 0-2

Bottom line - BYU has a chance versus Washington; Utah would have NO chance.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:12 a.m.

Well good luck to the cougars in their bowl game!

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Re: Who am I sir?

We get it - the Pa-12 is a very tough conference. We also get that Utah can't compete in that conference. That's the part you don't get.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:52 a.m.

LOL Chris B is just like an SEC fan now, "I'll be cheering my Pac 12 brothers onto victory that's for sure!" Glad you can find comfort in rooting for other teams since your mighty Utes have no bags to Pac for any significant game whatever. LOL Better Mark it down as well.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Rico,

I'll be cheering my Pac 12 brothers onto victory that's for sure!

byu already had a chance to beat the #10 Pac 12 team.

If you need a reminder of who won, just let me know.

Chances against the #6 Pac 12 team?

Well, in the words of Lloyd Christmas, there's a chance

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:33 a.m.

As a Cougar fan, I am under no illusion that BYU is going to win this bowl game. Similar to many years past, the Cougars simply have not been prepared for the "big" games this year. There is no reason to think that this has suddenly changed. They have the talent to win, but just aren't going to pull it off.

They would have to play out of their minds to win this game, and I only saw them do that against Texas this year. I will be watching, and will be happy to "eat crow" if I am wrong, but realize I will probably still be hungry on the 27th.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Sorry, why didn't we have a preparation model for Wisconsin? Notre Dame? Utah? I love the hype words and coach speak. My love for BYU Football has been hit hard in the gut over the past few years. I'd go back to LaVell...win or lose...any day any time.

Can't. I understand. But we have no offensive coach. We have no leader or anyone who has insight into a great offense. That is why these guys play poorly. We have a Defense minded coach, who has no input or creativity in the offense...

Can't even pick the correct QB. I love how, as Taysom starts to play okay, Doman, on all his radio shows showers praise on Taysom's abilities...yet, he sat on the bench under Doman...while the team, school, and fans suffered watching Nelson...uugh.

I see no light in our dark tunnel.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Bowl games are harder to predict.

Teams have time to heal, and a longer time to prepare, and know there opponent.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:58 a.m.

"When Falslev found out he would be facing Washington, “I was very, very excited. They’re a great team," he said. "They play one of the toughest schedules in the country because they’re in the Pac-12. Every opponent they lost to is a very good opponent. So their 8-4 record I don’t think does them justice in proving who they are." What? Is Falsley in disagreement with all the cougar fan postings dismissing the strength of schedule logic?

“I do think Washington is our best bowl opponent,” Mendenhall said. “I think they’re probably the second-best team we will have played this year, after Wisconsin.” And to think Utah played five teams ranked higher than Washington during the season and defeated the top ranked PAC-12 team, Stanford. However, coach's comments help explain their 6-2 bowl record.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:32 a.m.

Chris B will be watching... he need something to post about.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I'm inviting my Ute friend to watch the game with me. He remarked the other day that he was really jealous that his beloved Utes no longer play in December.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I hope this bowl strategy works for a team like Washington.

• Danny T Minneapolis, MN
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:24 a.m.

I'm excited to see the cougars play in my favorite baseball stadium. Wish I could go watch, or float around in McCovey Cove!

• perfidemintrepidus Riverton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:18 a.m.

BYU will be ready for the steep challenge of squaring off against the Huskies on the big stage and I know this because they have the right players and coaches to perform above expectations. This will be the Seniors' final game and each one of them will be giving it their all whether they have the fortune of playing at the next level or not. It's hard as a fan to see players like KVN and Hoffman move on, but I'm sure that bigger and better things are around the corner. Rise and shout!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Dec. 20, 2013 7:42 a.m.

So if Washington is second-best to Wisconsin, and we lost to Notre Dame and Utah, then I'm afraid our chances of winning are not good at all! I hope I'm wrong! I'm just tired of constantly being disappointed. Last weekend's defeat of both the men and women's b/b teams by the Utes is still hurting bad. It will be nice to get a measure of redemption and respect with a win over Oregon in b/b and Washington in f/b but that would be a tall order and I'm not holding my breath. Just hoping that somehow they would pull an upset. That would be awesome!

Go Cougars!