Sports

Utah basketball: Utes top Texas State, reach 10-win milestone

Comments

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 9:42 a.m.

BYU fans should be careful about criticizing our schedule after we demolished them. At the same time, lead Oregon for nearly the entire game and take them into overtime gives me hope for our conference season and conference tournament. We are fortunate enough to play Oregon at home and the other two ranked Pac 12 teams come here too. We may not win them all, but we have a good chance at beating a couple of ranked teams which would do wonders for our team and our fans.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 23, 2013 8:07 a.m.

@StgtoSLC

Agreed, it's too bad certain others can't follow suit. Oh well, you can't polish a .......

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 22, 2013 2:10 p.m.

starthill, thanks for keeping it classy. I don't know that the team is ready for an NCAA berth, but I would hope they should make the NIT this year. With the out of conference schedule, they'll have to win a few big games and avoid any upsets, probably coming out with at least 24 wins on the season to have tourney hopes.

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    Dec. 22, 2013 10:29 a.m.

I think Utah is a great team this year. I say that they will get to the NCAA tourney as a late seed or go far in the NIT. The rivalry will get interesting in the next few years. The Pac 12 move has done wonders for you guys. Football will take a lot of time...maybe 5 to 10 years, but I see basketball blooming with both BYU and Utah. I say that both will be capable for Sweet 16s in the next three years. Good luck Utah with the rest of your games.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 21, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Jark

If a garbage team beats your vaunted TDS 75% of the time, what does that say about your beloved cougs. Talk about lol

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 2:13 p.m.

"Even garbage teams find one game to get up for and somehow win"

jakrus:

Ha! That's what the Texas fans are saying!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:19 a.m.

@JohnInSLC
    Well add that other powerhouse Evergreen State to the powerhouse list as well LOL

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:16 a.m.

pocyUte
    Even garbage teams find one game to get up for and somehow win i.e. the Stanford game in football and the Byu game in bball. LOL

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2013 6:39 p.m.

"pocyUte
    Pocatello, ID

Last time I checked, the Utah basketball team isn't ending practice with a team 'final four' cheer."

It would obviously elicit the loudest roar-of-laughter to hear it emanate out of byu, since they lead the nation in Tourney appearances without ever reaching The Final Four.

Regarding our SOS, it'll be interesting to see how often the U/byu comparison is made upon the conclusion of their respective conference schedules....lol

p.s. When's the last time byu's beat a ranked opponent? lol

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Last time I checked, the Utah basketball team isn't ending practice with a team "final four" cheer.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Dec. 20, 2013 4:23 p.m.

“It’s nice to know that we’re being put into the same sentence as teams like that,” he said. “So it’s just something to build on. If they did that and then you see the success that they had the rest of their season hopefully we can have the same success.”

“It’s just more of a motivational factor,” he said. “If they did it (in 1997-98), we can do it. We can revive this program.”

I guess you can get it from the second quote if you look at it that way, but not the first. To me it just means having a good season and bringing the program back. Either way, I don't have a problem with any team's goal being a championship, I think that should be their ultimate goal, so I guess I'm just arguing a moot point. Predictions are one thing, they just sound dumb, but aspirations? Totally different.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 3:13 p.m.

Jordan
    Lynchburg, VA

Veritas-
    I still don't see what you're connecting here.
    ===
    It's really not that hard...

"If they did it (in 1997-98), we can do it."

What did they do in 1997-78? Went to the NCAA Title game, with Majerus. "we can do it." That is where it connects. If you would like to explain what you think it meant, please do so. If you are right and I am wrong, I'm cool with it.

I just see Utah fans freak when Bronco says NC, and freak when BYU is compared to ND.

Yet two Utah players just did that, and I say again, "Where is the outrage"

What is funny to me, I have no problems with either school grab what they can to motivate. I want all Utah schools to do well. I love both schools athletics. Certain fans from both schools drive me crazy.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 2:08 p.m.

"Now on to another powerhouse in St. Katherine from what conference again? Are they even a legit program? ESPN doesn't have a link for their "team"."

Jakrus:

Typical glass house for a closet BYU fan. BYU played that powerhouse "Mesa College" last month. ESPN has no link for them either.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Dec. 20, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Veritas-
    I still don't see what you're connecting here. If you read the article, all they're saying is this is the best record we've had this early in the season. It's not like they said, "Yeah, we are definitely going to the championship game." I see a little bit of grasping for straws here.

I think everybody, including the team, thinks it would be a monumental achievement just to make the NCAA tourney, let alone anywhere past that. In fact, I'm sure most would agree it would be a huge improvement just to make the NIT. Nobody, except for Chris B, is saying anything about championship.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 12:23 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin
    @Veritas Aeq...whatever
    ===
    I can see how truth and justice would be a "whatever" to you...

It's it the quote there my friend, They are measuring themselves to 1997-98, using that as a measuring stick, but the two teams have NOTHING in common.
    ===

Work with this quote.

"Teammate Jordan Loveridge noted it’s good to be mentioned in such company.
    “It’s nice to know that we’re being put into the same sentence as teams like that,”"
    ===
    Yet, Utah Fans flip out when BYU brings up NC, or are compared to another independent football team, ND.

I just wonder where the outrage is?

BTW, I love that Utah won last Saturday. I think the rivalry is more fun when either team can win going into the game.

Go Utes and Cougars. I am looking forward to the day when 3-4 teams from Utah go to the dance.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:09 a.m.

atl

historically I think you are correct, but the Pac has a very high conference RPI this season, in large part to AZ doing so well, so I think they could be a 5 or 6 bid conference.

If that happens, I think Utah has an NIT chance, but otherwise, I think you are probably correct. Good points.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Jark

your comment reminds me of Al Michaels' statement during Sunday Night Football between the Bengals and Steelers.

A Bengal got a flag for taunting, and they were down by 20, with the Steelers deep in their territory.

Michaels' remark was along the lines of "how do you taunt when your down by 20?!"

From a possession standpoint, it being beaten by 17 points is like being thumped by 41 in football. I echo Michaels' remark. talk about LOL

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:48 a.m.

@pocyUte
    18 wins will not get Utah an NIT bid. That would require them to go 7-11 in conference play (presumably 9th in the conference) with only one quality OOC win. Typically around 4 PAC teams make the NCAA tourney and 2 more to the NIT. I imagine the Utes need at least 21 wins (9-9 in conference, one conference tourney win) to get to the NIT and 24 wins (11-7 with 2 conference tourney wins or 12-6 in conference with 1 conf. tournament win) to make the NCAA tourney as an at-large team. Yes these numbers are higher than what is normally seen for a 12 seed but they're a result of having racked up so many wins against bad teams at the start of the season; they have to make up ground on a lot of teams.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:46 a.m.

I love seeing byu fans on the Utah article again. It's been almost a week since the byu arrogance crashed to earth. Psychologists say that's about how long it takes fans to get over a loss. Now, for byu fans, a devastating loss might require several weeks. Duckhunter still hasn't popped his head up but it's good to have taters with us again.

I agree with others that the win last night was not pretty but I was very encouraged by how well the younger players responded. Several got in the game (even at the same time) who have seen very few minutes thus far in the season. Ogbe had significant playing time. Fields looked good and played a lot of minutes. Vanbrocklyn and others also played. If getting the young guys experience was the goal, mission accomplished.

Go Utes!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:45 a.m.

living in the past...

precious

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Phew great to see the "big" boys from the Pac pulled out the win against a 3 win team from the vaunted Sun belt conference, who easily handled Cedartown, LOL Now on to another powerhouse in St. Katherine from what conference again? Are they even a legit program? ESPN doesn't have a link for their "team".
    LOL
    LOL

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:28 a.m.

@Veritas Aeq...whatever

Where did he say anything about going to the NCAA championship game? I must have missed that part of the quote.

How do you get from "we're using the 97-98 team as our early-season measuring stick" to "we're going to the championship game?" That's quite the logical leap you're taking. But I keep forgetting how good BYU fans are at taking logical leaps - things like "we have a senior QB, so therefore we're going to a BCS bowl" come to mind.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:06 a.m.

“It’s just more of a motivational factor,” he said. “If they did it (in 1997-98), we can do it."
    ===

Ute players talking about going to NCAA Championshp game? Where is the outrage from the Utah fans?

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:39 a.m.

Oh, you BYU fans are just so darn cute.

Enjoy your weekend in Oregon, little brother.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:36 a.m.

10/12

Precious.....

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:07 a.m.

81-64

Precious

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:43 a.m.

"Utah returns to action Dec. 28 in the Huntsman Center against St. Katherine."

Precious....

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Utah will be fine.

They aren't world beaters, but, they are improving. They will win some and lose some on the road. I expect them to win 8-10 conference games, and get 1 or 2 in the Pac-12 tourney. Depending on who they beat in conference (if they pull off the upset against AZ or OR) they could get the NCAA tourney ( I think it realistically will take 21-22 wins to get them in), an 18 win Utah team would almost certainly get an NIT bid, and that would be a sign of great progress for the program.

Go UTES!!

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:02 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how they compete in conference play when thy have split playing may be 2 team's with an R.p.I over 100 doesn't help much !!!

• 4 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 6:55 a.m.

'Good teams' win NCAA tournament games.

It will be interesting to see how they compete in conference play at home and on the road.

Good luck and Go Utes!

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 5:57 a.m.

@Tators

In order to win on the road you have to GO on the road. 14 out of 15 home games to start the season won't bode well for the Utes when they do venture out. Their only road trip ended in a loss to Boise St.

They'll have to cut the apron strings in January.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 11:14 p.m.

Still work to do, but the last two games we've been able to win even not playing very well as the competition(if you can call it that) hasn't been very tough.

But get ready, PAC 12 play starts.

This team has the best chance of making the dance of anyone in the state.

I think a top 4 or 5 finish in the prestigious PAC 12 is possible.

Great game utes!

Onward and upward.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 19, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Taylor really stepped up today. Nice to see. Ugly win, but a win none the less.

One more, then the real season begins.

Go Utes!!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Another good win for the Utes.
    But they have not shown they can win away from home. A third of the way thru the season and not a single win away from SLC. Very poor game scheduling by someone on the hill. As such, they (the Utes) still have things to prove... regardless of their win-loss record. Good teams prove they can win on the road. The Utes haven't done that yet.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Delon Smith? Come on Desnews, you might want to become more familiar with the best college bball team in the state.

It's Delon Wright and he will be in the NBA, so take note.

Nice win Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:10 p.m.

Wasn't pretty offensively, but it got the job done. Some credit goes to Texas State for that, their new coach will turn them in the right direction in the next few years. One more tune-up before taking on a possibly top 10 team at home!