U.S. & World

Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a trailer

Comments

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 22, 2013 11:30 a.m.

I voted for Romney. With that in mind I was disappointed in his campaign. Mitt governed MA as a moderate and then tried to appease the tea party. It is human nature to mistrust the wealthy. The poor and middle class saw Romney as a rich guy that was out of touch with their world. Romney wanted to increase military spending and balance the budget. He would never give specifics as to how he was going accomplish things. If elected Romney would have faced a Democratic congress that would have thwarted his agenda the same house republicans are doing to Obama. The super rich like to live in gated communities and isolate themselves from the poor and middle class. Out of sight out of mind.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:39 p.m.

@ThornBirds,

I hope you really don't think that a more realistic view of America is homeless shelters. A fraction of a percent of Americans are homeless. Just because it's REAL that there are homeless people out there, doesn't mean it's remotely close to a realistic view of this country.

• Bob K porland, OR
    Dec. 21, 2013 7:44 p.m.

I only had to watch the first 10 seconds, where NONE of them seemed to have any foresight about the possible need for a concession speech, to me reminded why I do not like him.

Let's put aside that he came across often as imperious, and Ann as a Marie Antoinette, which bothered many millions of Americans.

Let's put aside that he was as transparent as cement about his taxes, and both he and Ann referred to required lds tithing as "giving to charity"

I am sure he is a great family man, and was a wonderful bishop, but he sure does not understand the American people.

Someone so BLIND as to expect to win all along, then to be thoroughly drubbed in a landslide of Electoral votes, does not have the judgement to be the leader of the Free World -- sorry.

President Obama, an imperfect man subjected to constant and bitter lack of co-operation from republicans, wiped the floor with Romney, who, in theory, should have won big.

I personally never thought Romney wanted it, and ran because of Ann and the church

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 12:06 a.m.

Sour grapes.

He lost.

Move on. Don't wallow in self pity.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:52 p.m.

I never voted for him. But this looks interesting. Gosh, he made so many avoidable mistakes in the campaign. Flip around 300K votes from (D) to (R) in OH, VA, and FL and he would have won. It was that close.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    Dec. 20, 2013 7:21 a.m.

I'm hesitantly stoked to see this. I've learned be weary of what people claim about the Romneys-especially when they pull the Church into it-but I really hope this turns out to be a nice film.

I don't think there'll ever be a politician or political candidate I'll ever so fervently invest my time and effort in again, and I admit that having this taken from me and my country will probably be the last thing I ever finally forgive, in this life or the next.

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2013 11:25 a.m.

How fun for the family(although it is likely a large motor home).!
    Now he can pack up the Grandkids and they can stop by the homeless shelters, food kitchens, animal shelters.
    The Romney Clan can get a more realistic view of America!
    Way to go, Mitt!

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:23 a.m.

The Romney fan's whining and nashing of teeth..
    Oh, will it ever end!
    He will never be the President.
    Get over it.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Boy did we dodge the bullet there.
    Imagine how much of a mess we'd be in now if senor mitt was working to remove safety nets, dissolve the ACA and come up with an exit strategy after realizing Iran was not the neutered Iraq he was led to believe.

CWEB said: "This nation will reap the cold shoulder to God."
    For not electing Mitt?
    So Mitt, was God's chosen President, but men were able to thwart Gods plan.
    Sounds like God needs to go Old Testament on the masses and put Mitt at the helm.

...or your completely wrong and mitt (already a foot note outside of his rabid religious right pavarazzi) will not be remembered except for his 47% comment.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:00 a.m.

"...those now in power will become a hiss and a by-word...".

A hiss and a by-word?

The people responsible for Romney's failure to become the POTUS are the white evangelicals/conservative Christians who could not bring themselves to vote for a Mormon.

Add to that list...

The Republican king-makers who continually referred to Romney's religion as a cult...giving the voters an excuse to stay home.

As well as the Fox News/Republican Entertainers who continually told viewers that Romney would easily win... therefore giving those viewers an excuse to stay home.

And don't forget the tepid endorsements he received from other Republican POTUS wannabees.

It's easy to and expected to blame Romney's failure on the opposition.

If Romney would have received the same backing from Republicans across America that he receives daily from DN readers, he would have won easily.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 8:36 a.m.

Boy did we dodge the bullet there.

Is the picture suppose to make him look like Patton?

A documentary on Netflixs is not much of an accomplishment, have you seen their line up of "documentaries?"

CWEB said: "This nation will reap the cold shoulder to God."
    For not electing Mitt?
    So Mitt, was God's chosen President, but men were able to thwart Gods plan.

...or your completely wrong and mitt (already a foot note outside of his rabid religious right pavarazzi) will not be remembered except for his 47% comment, and that great head of hair.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 5:30 a.m.

We could have had a great president (Jon Huntsman, Jr.) but he was too sane and rational (and moderate) so he was rejected by the far right in the nominating process. That left us with a choice between bad (Obama) and much, much worse (Romney). "Bad" defeated "worse" and, Thank God, Romney didn't get a chance to destroy the United States and its people like he destroyed so many companies and their employees when he was at Bain. We dodged a disaster when Romney was sent packing. (I voted Republican -- I wrote in Huntsman.)

It amazes me that people are still trying to rehabilitate Romney. He doesn't deserve it.

For the record, I am NOT one of the "47%". I am a well-educated professional (a lawyer) and have been gainfully employed since I was a teenager, with a small amount of time off to gestate pregnancies. I and my husband have both paid net taxes to the government every year that we have earned income. AND I am a mainstream (i.e. truly conservative) Republican. I am observant and faithful LDS. I just see Romney as he really is, not the way people try to make him appear.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    Dec. 18, 2013 11:24 p.m.

If Netflix makes money off this production, is that good or bad for those who loves Mitt? And will it help the Cruz campaign?

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Dec. 18, 2013 10:42 p.m.

This trailer is certainly telling. Every reputable poll going into Election Day said that Romney was slightly behind, yet he and his campaign were so convinced that victory was inevitable that he didn't even bother writing a concession speech. Even President Obama wrote one, for crying out loud. That's just a standard part of running for office.

I certainly expect the posters here at the DN to live in a right-wing bubble, but to see the potential leader of the free world being so blinkered from reality is more than a bit disturbing...

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 18, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Romney 2016!!!

• ute alumni Rakuen, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 8:03 p.m.

what's the problem posters? barry has everything under control and even the thought of comparing him and mitt is unpatriotic.americans voted twice for a guy with no skills, experience or competence over a guy with all of those virtues and more. america go what it wanted and now look what we are stuck with. Pathetic.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 7:44 p.m.

sorry that last comment was directed at "a guy with a brain."

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 7:43 p.m.

I thought the same thing when we elected Bush jr. twice but we survived and we will survive this president too . the truth is neither one is/was great but neither is/was as bad as they were made out to be and the same holds true of Romney, he is not as great as his supporters believe and not as bad as some of his detractors make him out to be.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Dec. 18, 2013 7:09 p.m.

All I can say is I fought, hard, for Mitt Romney for five years. I started out in 2007 supporting McCain but after watching Romney's "Faith In America" speech in Houston, TX on 7 Dec 2007 (find it on YouTube), I was hooked. Every single word he said in that speech, every word, was packed with wisdom, passion, truth and power. I was so impressed with that one speech I watched it and then insisted my wife and kids watch it, too. What did the media do right after that speech? They branded Mitt as "exclusionary" because in the speech, which was written primarily around the idea of faith in God played in our nation's founding, did not include those who do not believe in God.

Over my 5 years of watching and learning about Romney I came up with a list of 28 qualifications Romney had for being our President. Yes, twenty eight. And none of them came from a Deseret News reporter. Not. One.

We truly are a nation of fools. Or is that too harsh to say?

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 5:44 p.m.

once again we get a view on this thread of the 47% that Romney was talking about, if only we would have realized then he was talking about the far right things may have been different.

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    Dec. 18, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Let's find some way to crown Romney King just as soon as possible.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Only the "educated" left believe the path to prosperity is by adding more debt, increasing taxes, regulating the size of cups we drink out of, scrapping the military, cut retired military benefits, give away more money to people that hate and want to kill us....and they actually believed the Messiah is barack huessein obama. LOL! Barbara Walters even admitted to such.

• ca2000 West Wendover, NV
    Dec. 18, 2013 2:54 p.m.

@cweb-orem, ut---Beautifully said. I agree 100%.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 12:53 p.m.

This is a wonderful man, wonderful family. We know what the nation missed out on. They will come to know, and no, Mitt will never be a laughing stock. But those now in power will become a hiss and a by-word. At any other time in our nation's history, Mitt would be President. This nation will reap the cold shoulder to God. Men who believe in God, and live by God's precepts, no matter what religion...will conquer. Those who have turned from God, to do as they will, will find sadness and emptiness. Even our current leaders will someday fall to their knees...as will we all, and pay honor to that God whose commandments this nation flaunts today.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Interesting that the media has suddenly found positive things about Romney, because before the election they only spewed criticism and misinformation, if not outright lies.

Romney is an honorable and decent man, who loves our country and works to improve life for everyone, and is too much a gentleman to tell the truth about his political opponents.

Oh, for what might have been. Future generations will study the 2012 election to see how our country was purposely misled, giving rise to our irreversible decline.

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 12:39 p.m.

CNN will be airing a documentary "Six Years of Mitt Romney" on January 24. Sounds like the same show. The trailer does cause us to reflect on what might have been. America is paying a very high price.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Makes me sad watching this, we could have had a great President, all we got was excuses a bad website, more broken promises and a weaker country.