Sports

BYU, Utah basketball report card: Utes show Cougs some Love(ridge) in dominant program-elevating win

Comments

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 6:10 p.m.

Caleb

so is the new BYU cheer "We're number 40, we're number 40"

Classic

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 5:43 p.m.

I felt Utah was improved,but thought they did BYU in pretty well. It is true that in the Marriott Center the score might have been different. This BYU team needs better free throw shooting and better 3 point shooting. They seem to drive well. The defense has to step up. They are good and fun to watch. I can't get Pac 12 network anyway. They will improve, but it looks like GOnzaga has it again.

• Mr. Finch Washington, DC
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:21 p.m.

Hey Indemak,

Your ad hominem (or rather ad locum) attack is irrelevant... However, after some introspective reflection, to include the location of your place of abode, maybe you'll avoid such remarks.

Of course utah's schedule increases in difficulty--when you start a season by playing eight teams tantamount to a high school level, anything else is more difficult...

I've no real comment on byu's impending schedule difficulty; although I'd agree that it does appear to become less difficult. Nonetheless, the schedule difficulty of either team is irrelevant to my remark. Not that that such was intended by your reply...

As for my "delusional" comment, I at least qualified my remarks... Not to mention, I essentially predicted as much for the football season and it sure looks like I was not too far off the mark. Oh, and as some have commented since, it looks like Lunardi's current bracket picks support my position.

I see no data to back up your argument that my comment was "delusional" in any respect.

Adieu, my friend.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Jarkarus rus

How does that huble pie taste? You had a lt to say before the game. Looks like ur still yapping. What a sweet beat down!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 1:21 p.m.

SoonerUte
    Let's see if Utah can get past St. Katherine before we jump on the bandwagon that the Utes are making the tournament.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 1:12 p.m.

le miye
    Pine Ridge, SD

"go BYU! go get the next game and own it, you have the talent and abilities to win! the teams you played and will play, play like it's their championship game. you are BYU and the world feels and knows that..."

LOL!! And this is how you people get yourselves into these situations. Maybe your rally cry should be..."come on, byu, learn defense! Learn to pass the ball! Learn to hit free throws! LOL!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:54 p.m.

"Joe Lunardi's bracketology just came out. BYU is projected to be in as a 10th seed. "
    Hype is addictive, isn't it? After Utah's Reality Intervention, I think most BYU fans want to see how the next few games go, before hopping on the "we're gonna be a 10 seed" bandwagon.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Hey Mr. Finch,

Many people are delusional in Washington D.C. The fact of the matter is that BYU's schedule becomes easier with exception of Oregon, Gonzaga and St. Mary's on the road. Utah's schedule becomes tough for the next 18 games.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:20 p.m.

Go figure. Joe Lunardi's bracketology just came out. BYU is projected to be in as a 10th seed. Utah is not projected to even make the last 8 out.

• Mr. Finch Washington, DC
    Dec. 16, 2013 11:42 a.m.

This is likely a repeat of the football season... utes get up for their "must win" game against the Y, while byu lacks the mental prep for utah's super-psyched tempo. Then, after all is said in done, utah goes on to have a dismal season, while byu ends with a respectable record and excellent post-season placement. While the rivalry games are fun, they're turning out to just another game for the Y, and ultimately of no lasting importance.

• le miye Pine Ridge, SD
    Dec. 16, 2013 11:42 a.m.

go BYU! go get the next game and own it, you have the talent and abilities to win! the teams you played and will play, play like it's their championship game. you are BYU and the world feels and knows that. stand up and be warriors on the floor. there is no other way to do it, so get it done.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 16, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Coach Rose's comment about the athleticism of Utah is something to consider as the Utes are rebuilding and in the PAC-12. Mica seems like a good player if he can keep his emotions in check. Great game for the Utes. The Y was simply outplayed any other excuse is just an excuse. Best team won.

Go UTES!!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 16, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Utah is much better than I thought and played a great game.
    I think they could compete to be in the top 6 in the Pac-12. I wish I could watch a few more games.
    With a defense that good they can win a lot of games.
    Good luck to the Utes and hopefully I can see you play in the tourney.
    Great game plan coach K.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 8:56 a.m.

Winder and Bartley need to play more. BYU's starting guards have been awful in the big games. Time to give someone else a shot.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 6:32 a.m.

Football still rules over all sports. It is a nice distraction until football starts again.

I attend a few hoop games per year on the hill. Will be there for Oregon, UCLA and Arizona.

A word to some. Utah county doesn't have the best basketball recruits in the state There are some good players at Lone Peak but great high school players don't always mean great college players.

The recruits coming into Utah next year are very exciting and not a one from Utah County. Mante is out of Michigan and Chapman is out of Roy. Both are top 100 recruits. Utah only loses Lenz this year so this team will be back next year with a year of experience.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:24 p.m.

Looks like you can lose all the Utah county recruiting battles and still win the war.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 11:29 a.m.

DRay

"...reckless play that was unworthy of the values they claim to uphold."

Reckless play and upholding values? What are you talking about?

• STLute St. Louis, MO
    Dec. 15, 2013 11:10 a.m.

@DRay

It's a basketball game. They probably feel bad. I'm not sure they should feel ashamed, and I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with values. Sometimes, a person just needs to give credit where it's due.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 10:16 a.m.

I think Gagon is spot on in his analysis. The only thing I would say is that if Loveridge is the best player in the state (the guy has NBA talent), then Delon Wright is a very close second. Watching Wright and his offensive moves, he reminds me a lot of George (Iceman) Gervin back in the day. This guy is SMOOTH!

Anyway, I'm very proud of our Utes!!

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 10:17 a.m.

He was just too much for the cougars to handle.

So glad Coach K was able to get this kid!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:34 a.m.

I agree with an A+ for the Utah bigs. I expected that game from Loveridge, but what an effort by the bigs! Keep it going!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:28 a.m.

I am in shock! No excuses!!! Congrats Utes!!!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:29 a.m.

Loveridge is money! If he keeps improving he has NBA potential

Go UTES!

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:14 a.m.

Generally agree with the grades...Cougars, team and Coaches, should be ashamed for such an abysmal performance...no excuse for it, just shameful, reckless play that was unworthy of the values they claim to uphold.

• Michael Lloyd Jr. Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:12 a.m.

If you wonder why the Cougars struggle just read Nate Gagon's report card. The guy is right on the money.