BYU digs early hole, can't recover in loss to Utah

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 3:41 p.m.

It seems to me that the Utes did the digging and BYU just couldn't climb out of the hole.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 8:45 a.m.

Is it any wonder the BYU fans believe they have never been beaten... they have only lost, ever? When they're feed that line from the media. It's not what the other team did or didn't do...no, it always what the Y team did. Did they show up? Did they did a hole from which they did not recover, etc..

In basketball it's five against five on the court, yet it's only what the five Y's guys did! Even in a game as lopsided as this one it was only what the Y did... not what the Utah coaches, fans, and players did.... it was the fact the y's guys dug a hole which they could not get out of.

Of course that also explained the 9 of 12 last football games.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 5:12 p.m.

"Utah exposed BYU's biggest weakness--the preference of individual play over team play. Against stiff competition, or when they are playing from behind, BYU has about 4 players who think they can carry the team, and selfishness rules the day. I have pointed this out after several games. Everybody wants to be Jimmer, especially when the pressure is on.

Jimmer WAS a great player and was the reason for most of BYU's success."

Jimmer was a great shooter, not a great player. Fredette didn't learn to play defense or how to be a team player (passing) under Rose and now he's riding the pine in the NBA. Rose handled Fredette in exactly the same manner he is dealing with his team now...no defense and no playing as a team.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:11 p.m.

I'm getting worried this horrible non conference schedule beating up on teams like Evergreen and byU we aren't preparing for #1 Arizona(twice), and top 25 teams Oregon and rival Colorado twice each as well.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:10 p.m.

I'm just so happy that we wiped the floor with byU.

They barely deserve to be on the same floor as we do after what happened Saturday.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:09 p.m.

Well I called that game!

Utah is the best team in the state, and frankly, it didn't even look close!

Where is my byu friend tators who told me byu would win?

The silence is deafening!

Go UTES

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:48 p.m.

Jimmer WAS a great player and was the reason for most of BYU's success. And his legacy has probably really helped the recruiting effort. But I also wonder if this legacy has created a monster that Rose has been unable to control. No longer are the days when Rose just has to say, "Give the ball to 'so-and-so' and let him win the game for us," even though it is obvious that's what he WANTS to do. Since the Jimmer days, there remains the culture that individual play trumps team play, and if you score enough points you don't have to play defense. This is a "cancer" that the coaches will have to work very hard to remove.

• daver Provo, 00
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:12 p.m.

Chronic underachievement points to coaching, both in football AND basketball. Wow, never thought I would say that about a Rose-led team!!!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:55 p.m.

BYU played as if they all want to be Jimmer. No extra passes to the open man and little defense. Rose is amgood coach, but the Jimmer hangover has lasted too long. The Utes schooled them with a team showing in a team sport.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:22 p.m.

wow. A new bracketology from Lunardi just came out today. BYU is projected in as a 10th seed (so they are above the last 8 in) and utah is outside and didn't even make the last 8 out. Still a lot left to be decided over the course of the season.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:13 p.m.

The last time I saw byu play was one year ago when they hosted Utah. Other than that, I read the comments on these sports boards. Based on those comments, byu basketball seemed bigger than life itself...a veritable model of baketball's elite. I really thought byu would run away with the game.

What I saw Saturday night left me in shock. It was the same type of byu play I saw a year ago...zero defense and a selfish offense that is determined to let one or two individuals take the shots. More validation that you people are just plain nuts.

I hope that every potential recruit in Utah watched that game Saturday night and asks the question...do I want to learn to run down the floor really, really fast and try to score, or do I want to learn to play basketball?

Nuf' said.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:36 a.m.

@ Cosmos Cousin

"The Blue has more talent and experience on the court.

I hate to say it but it's a 100 percent true, the better team lost. BYU beat themselves this time."

Uh, what did you see that made you think BYU was the better team? Utah had its worst shooting game of the season and it still ran away from the Cougs. The better team was, and it was obvious to anyone who watched.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:35 a.m.

I appreciate the perspective of some of the BYU fans here, but how anyone can watch that game and say BYU is better is beyond me.

One person said it very well it was five individuals vs a team of 5 working together. Utah held BYU 30 points below their season average for crying out loud!!

BYU will continue to beat teams on their schedule that the should beat, and lose to the good teams on their schedule Their RPI will continue to fall because their conference schedule is a cream puff outside of Zaga and St. Mary's. They will certainly get to 20 wins, but will it be enough for a NCAA birth. They need to hope that Utah, Stanford and Texas do really well in their conferences.

Utah will be tested against the Pac-12, their RPI will rise considerably. I would expect them to be in the middle tier of the Pac-12. It will be interesting to see if they can get to 20 wins. That would likely mean 9 Pac-12 wins (assuming Utah beats Tex St. and St. Kat), including the tournament, which I think is reachable.

But, one thing is for certain, Utah is better than BYU this year.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:16 a.m.

@ Cosmos Cousin

BYU had more talent on the floor, really? BYU has three players; Haws, Collingsworth and Mika. Austin can't stay out of foul trouble, Carlino is not a point guard, and the rest of the team, who knows? The Utes have more depth and more athleticism top to bottom. I respect Coach Rose and his program and he acknowledged that the Utes are more athletic than his team. Clearly the Utes have played an ultra soft schedule thus far, but Coach K inherited a train wreck and it's evident he has the program turning in the right direction. A win over BYU does not make a season, but If BYU didn't practice hard and prepare for the Utah game, shame on them. No excuses.

Go Utes!!

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Utah came to play, BYU came to lay an egg. As much as it hurts to say this as a BYU fan, I gotta give credit where credit is due. Based on that game, Utah is the better team this year. Now as to who will have the better season, that remains to be seen. But if both teams continue to play like they did in that game, Utah will have a good season and BYU will have a poor one. Luckily, that was by far the worst BYU has played all year. As a certified blue-goggled BYU fan, I still believe that BYU will not only have a good season, but will be the better team for the rest of the season. But that belief has nothing to do with that game. It pains me to acknowledge this, but Utah has all the bragging rights in this rivalry as of right now. um... Go Cougars, don't stink that bad the rest of the season please.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Dec. 16, 2013 9:56 a.m.

I've expressed my distaste for Carlino on these pages and some fellow Cougar fans have told me I'm wrong about him. Evidence for the prosecution:

Against Utah, 3-15 (20%) from the floor. Forget the percentage; that's 15 shots in 20 minutes! With ZERO assists! That's just hideous if you're a shooting guard, and Carlino's supposed to be playing the point! Rose has to be beyond frustrated.

He takes almost five threes a game and is shooting 28%. That's beyond awful. The guy is done. The handful of stellar games he'll give us in conference play are not worth the stinkbombs he'll put up.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 8:45 a.m.

What an embarrassing loss. If you are going to get creamed at least get creamed by a good team.

• rj Moss, Norway
    Dec. 16, 2013 7:40 a.m.

The stat that jumps out at me is the difference in assists. Utah-18 BYU-10 When shots aren't falling, start spreading the ball around. Suddenly the floor opens up and players are getting better looks. Ten assists is terrible -- indicative of a group of individuals trying to do much on their own, rather than using each other.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:57 p.m.

I wouldn't go so far as saying "the Utes are back". This game was validation that Coach K has them on the right track. The win wasn't the surprise, since Utes only lost by 3 in Provo last year. The blowout was the surprise. Total dominance made Cougar fans set aside all the hype and question how good their own team really is. Just like football, it is great to own the scoreboard, but conference play is the true test. Go Utes!

• Cosmo's Cousin Holladay, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:40 p.m.

The Deseret News is absolutely right. BYU was so used to beating Utah, the Cougars didn't really practice or prepare very hard. With a little more fine tuning before and practice, BYU could beat Utah. The Blue has more talent and experience on the court.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Hard to imagine anyone living out in Park Valley but that's where I tuned into the game early in the second half. What a mess of a game I listened to during the brief few minutes I had.

I made no predictions for this game as to avoid any embarrassments should they happen. It was difficult to listen to the comedy of errors exhibited by the Cougars last night but alas they do occur at the most inopportune moments. Lots of errors, mistakes, forced shots and plain bad luck.

Congrats to the Utes for their game as they brought it last night and good luck to them in their season. Maybe basketball will be their bright spot this year.

I believe Coach k is figuring some things out on how to keep his job.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2013 3:43 p.m.

"While the absence of Mika hurt the Cougars late in the game, it was probably too late for BYU anyway." -- JC

Probably? It was too late after 17:32 mark in the 1st half.

BYU had a better chance of catching a cold then catching the Runnin' Utes!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Roy, UT

Newsflash, this was Utah's WORST shooting game of the year. Just because we lit-up your team doesn't mean we played a complete game.

I like AP's take:

"Utah set the tone offensively and defensively from the opening tip. Loveridge's hot shooting helped Utah race to a huge lead. He hit 6 of 8 shots in the game's first seven minutes and the Ute defense shut down the Cougar offense completely through the first half."

• fan29 Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 2:46 p.m.

WOW!!! BYU got PUNK by a Utah team who has played one of the weakest schedules in the country to their 10-1 record. Utah is a very average to below average team. What it shows is BYU isn't very good themselves. Utah ran whatever that wanted to and got open shots all night.They exposed BYU lack of speed and quickness. BYU foul shooting STINKS!! Hard to imagine with what I think is pretty talent group of players they can be so bad from the foul line. Carlino should be benched. This kid can't play under pressure, makes bad passes and takes bad shots all the time. I would bring him off the bench and if he gets hot let him play, if not sit him down for the night. Haws need to be more aggressive in wanting the ball and taking charge, he is the leader of this team and I do think a good one!! I think the win against Prairie View went to their head!!

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Ouch, just got back from the wood shed and Chris B. gave me a whoopin'.

All credit to the Utes and their total victory over my Cougs.

This will be a bitter pill to swallow but I have renewed respect for the Utes and will change my opinion on their progress and their probable success in the PAC-12 (no more references to the PAC-10.2) they have earned my respect.

Their success will be a boon to the area and when any and all the universities in the state are successful the entire region will profit.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Duckhunter? Believe me now?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:23 a.m.

@ DRay

This was Utah's worst shooting game of the season. Just imagine what the Utes would have done on a "normal" night....

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:17 a.m.

"...Utah is not as good as they played, just watch how they play their next game against a winning team, see if they shoot as well, play as well....they won't...".

BYU is not as good as they played, just watch how they play their next game against a winning team (Oregon), see if they shoot as well, play as well...they won't.

Some games UTAH will play well...some games they won't.

That's the reality/nature of a rebuilding program.

UTAH is on the right track.

I have great admiration for what Dave Rose has accomplished at BYU.

I love to watch Tyler Haws play basketball.

I hope he goes off on every team he plays against... except UTAH.

I love to see the guts, determination and drive of Josh Sharp chasing down every loose ball.

He appears to be the kind of player who would fit well in a Krystkowiak system...

It's too bad things didn't work out for him at UTAH.

I hope he gets more minutes as the season moves on...

GO UTES!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Hats off to the Utes they played better against a equal opponent for the first time this year! Congrats to the Utes!!!

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Utes are actually even better than they showed.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:19 a.m.

"Utah is not as good as they played, just watch how they play their next game against a winning team, see if they shoot as well, play as well....they won't."

Well, DRay...you make a statement of fact that is strikingly familiar to the type of comments that byu fans have been posting on these boards for the last six weeks. Maybe you're right. Then again...

Just like in football, hope that another team will accomplish what byu can't. LOL!

• ThisIsMyScreenName! Herriman, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 6:24 a.m.

@DRay I wouldn't call shooting 41% shooting well. And you're right, just like Coach K says: "You're never as good as you think you are, and you're never as bad as you think you are." Coach Rose is classy, attributed his teams poor play to the atmosphere and Utah's length and athleticism.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Dec. 15, 2013 5:21 a.m.

After the women lost, I had a feeling the men would probably get beat too even though I was hoping they wouldn't. I didn't see the men's game but I followed the score updates on my tv screen on ESPN. As the scores began to come up, my heart sank and my stomach tightened. When it was finally over, I felt so sick I ran to the commode and barfed! Of all the times to go dreadful! Were they not prepared? Did they underestimate Utah? Never mind. I think I know the answer myself. We're not good like we think we are and I wish all Cougar fans will realize that and stop the arrogance. And please, no more talk about how great the future is. Let's concentrate on the now first. Four stars, five stars, whatever, is meaningless when we can't beat Utah! I need to go chill before church starts. I can't go to church feeling like this!

Great job tonight Utes! Good luck next week at Oregon, Cougs! I'm hoping for redemption but I won't be holding my breath!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 3:28 a.m.

Utah actually had one of their worst shooting games of the season, if not the very worst. Kind of makes your sour grapes even more sour doesn't it.

Dec. 15, 2013 12:33 a.m.

DRay, you're absolutely right, they won't play that well. They'll play better. 41.5% FG is a season low for the Utes. They'll play better in their big games without the emotional expense. Will they win them all? No, because their opponents likely will be much better than BYU was, but we should expect they'll have their shot and win a few of them. Good luck to the Cougs this year, hopefully they'll have a better attitude than you.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:32 a.m.

Great game, but it was clear from the first 5 minutes that the Utes owned the Cougars. While Cougar fans can commence their "we really are better than you" routine, the results on the court speaks for themselves. The funniest part was hearing Rose this morning say how the Utes were not so hot from long range - only to have the Utes rack up 6 3 pointers in the first half. Go UTES!

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:24 a.m.

But byu "fans" have been saying the Utes can only beat cupcakes!

I guess we won't know til we start playing in the Pac.

• 4 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:57 p.m.

One team looked much more athletic tonight and played with a higher IQ. Now that the cupcake schedule is just about done, bring on Pac-12 conference play.

On paper, the Cougars are still the better team. Some things never change.

That’s okay, when in doubt, check NCAA tournament history.

Go Utes!

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:54 p.m.

Dec. 14, 2013 11:49 p.m.

Props to Tyler Haws for classy responses after a tough game for him. I can't imagine the frustration he must have felt having to sit the last five or so minutes of the game being the competitor that he is. He's a good player and will have some great scoring performances in the next year and a half before his career is over.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:32 p.m.

"SALT LAKE CITY — A horribly slow start, and ice-cold shooting, doomed BYU Saturday night at the Huntsman Center."

Come on, Call...the credit goes to the Utah defense.