Mountain View hires former Timpview head coach Louis Wong to lead struggling football program

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:03 p.m.

Yeah mab93 sounds like you were on the inside. It's a shame that there were a handful of people that were envious of Coach Wong's fundraising ability and his overall popularity. An even greater shame was Amy Donaldson ignoring some of the facts you have and the ones I heard came out during his hearing. I'd like to know as a journalist how she could ignore so much. I was and still am very disappointed in her. Thank you for your insights mab93 but unfortunately people like Uncle Same/Ben have their minds made up already about Coach Wong.

• mab93 Provo, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:46 a.m.

@Uncle Sam
    Coach Wong never used money from the football account to fix his personal car. He took his personal car to the same shop as the drivers ed cars. There were a few times when the shop accidentally mixed his personal repairs with the school bill. When he noticed it, he paid it back. A couple times everyone missed it. It was never a personal choice to take money. It was a human error made by multiple people similar to the many that the district made.

Initially Randy Merrill didn't have anything on him and no reason to suspect he had done any different than other teachers, but he wanted to fire him. They searched to find any possible reason. It is unfortunate the Provo School District wasn't doing their job. Had they not been so sloppy their audits would have caught the issue that allowed the shops mistake to get through. Then the district could have provided training and implemented proper practices to oversee district money. But they make human errors too.

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Many of you continue this "witch hunt" nonsense. But let me ask you a question, had Coach Wong not taken money from the football account to fix his personal car on three separate occasions WITHOUT paying it back - do you think he would have been the victim of this so-called "witch hunt"?

I am sure he is great with kids on the field, but there is a reason a guy who had won so much was run off so quickly. He made a personal choice to take money that was not his, and at that point and time he set himself up for what followed. It's really that simple.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Ecstatic for Coach Wong.

The whole Provo superintendent witch hunt (which ultimately led to things coming to light leading to an immediate resignation (and I'm not talking about Wong himself)) was a travesty. Coach did a tremendous job with Timpview and those kids; helping kids graduate, helping them get scholarships and obviously helping them have a tremendous (and winning) HS football experience.

Mountain View will pose the ultimate challenge. But I'm excited to follow to see how he does.

Will be interesting to see how these new coaches (MV, Provo) will compete with TV. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised that Whittingham/Bateman have done so well. Was expecting a drop off especially with East getting more dominant. So will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 7:40 p.m.

Congrats Coach Wong!!! Hoo-rah for the kids at Mt View!

• Husker1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 4:52 p.m.

This changes the dynamic of high school football in Orem and Provo. I hope the UHSAA is ready to handle all of the eligibility waivers and sudden address changes that are going to pop up over the next 6 months.

• Lavell Walnut Creek, Calif
    Dec. 12, 2013 1:51 p.m.

It is so great that Coach Wong is back doing what he does as well as anyone - leading and influencing young men. Mtn View is very lucky!!! And even though he had many options it's cool he chose the route of building another program vs inheriting a powerhouse. Best of luck Coach!!!

• mab93 Provo, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 11:12 a.m.

What great news. We miss him at Timpview, but I am excited for the boys at Mt. View. He truly has a passion for influencing young men in a positive way. He will help them realize their penitential because he knows he can expect more from them. Especially off the field. He helped create a top notch system at Timpview, but the wins wouldn't have come without the character built in the young men.

I think it is interesting that the Principal that hired him was part of the Provo school district when Wong was chased off.

I have always respected coach Synder, and I imagine that must have been a tough decision to make. I'm sure he has had a positive influence on a lot of the young men. I hope he is still involved in their program.

I'm really excited for all the changes in region 7 & 8 football. In a few years from now I expect the level of play in these regions to improve.

• 00dave Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Agree with every comment so far. (How often can you say that)?

Great hire for Mt. View. Not only will Mt. View win more games, more importantly the players will leave the program with better self-esteem, confidence and a brotherhood that is hard to duplicate in high school sports.

Our family is still pretty disappointed with how the administration handled the Timpview issues with Coach Wong. Still feel very unfortunate that we lost him, but very happy to see him back working with youth, where he belongs.

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:29 p.m.

My boys played for Coach Wong and there isn't a better leader around. Period. He loves the kids. Don't get me wrong, players had consequences for their actions and he runs a tight ship. Accountability, team first, lessons of life etc. are what Wong teaches. Wong is the best there is at turning young boys into men. Great hire Mtn View.

Love you Coach Wong and best of luck from a member of Tbird Nation!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:26 p.m.

Things are looking up for football in both Provo and Orem. Both new hires have demonstrated an excellent track record or building a winning program. If you want to make a big impact and engineer a remarkable turn-around, Provo and Mountain View are good choices, since they have languished so long.

• Stephen Van Orden Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Congratulations to Mountain View and Coach Wong. Coach Wong is a great coach and fantastic man.

• orem_man_am_i orem, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 4:37 p.m.

This is great news! My kids went to Mtn View and the football program has been struggling for more than a decade. I love attending the games but have to admit it has been tough given soooo many losing seasons. Good luck Coach Wong!

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:11 p.m.

I am pretty sure Mountain View will not allow car repairs on his Mercedes by using his booster account.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:16 p.m.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects the provo/orem communities. McGeary to Provo High and Wong to Mtn View. Each ahve won state titles in the last 5 years and both have chips on their shoulders and something to prove. Should be fun the next few years!

• Red San Antonia, TX
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Coach Wong was hosed by a bunch of weak leaders of a lame school system.

I am so glad he is finally back!

Go dominate!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:00 p.m.

good to see Mountain View hire Wong. Wong should have never been fired in the first place.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:57 p.m.

Sidney Sperry,

As a Timpview dad you have a Great Coach but a Better man. I can't think of a better person that has influenced my kid's.

Good Luck Coach Wong!

• Fans Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:55 p.m.

As an alumni of Mountain View HS and BYU, we are very happy for Louie Wong and extremely excited for Mountain View HS. Go, Bruins!

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Coach Whittingham will probably loose 50% of his poly players this summer. The whole island community is aware of what coach Wong means to their culture. Expect Mnt. View to get real good real fast. Hopefully the district won't change their open enrollment policy. Of course if the Provo district does close the open enrollment loophole expect real estate agents who have listed homes in the Mnt. View area to have very good spring and summer!

• BYUJohn Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:17 p.m.

As a Timpview/provo district parent, I'm sad he's not at THS, but thrilled for Coach Wong and his family. He's an outstanding individual who our kids grew to love. The Mountain View community is fortunate to have him! Good luck Coach! We are all cheering for you!!!

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:12 p.m.

So Alpine School District and Provo School District swap their best coaches? We'll see how it turns out :).

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:04 p.m.

Mtn View will benefit greatly from Wong!

Does anyone know if Mtn View is an open enrollment school?

If so, I imagine a huge influx of student athletes.

In my experience and hindsight, I wish I had made the choice to have my sons play for him!

Congrats Coach Wong, and a a huge pat on the back for Mtn View in getting him!