Sports

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 14, 2013 1:03 a.m.

good post utesby5...

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 4:45 p.m.

@poy

First of all, I don't enjoy taking shots at BYU and the WCC. I don't go on BYU articles and create hatred between the programs. I comment only on Utah articles.

My point was based on the WCC coaches predicting USF to finish 4th in Men's Basketball for the 2013-2014 season on October 24th. Doolin led his team in minutes played during the ISU game on November 18th, 25 injury free days after the coaches were polled. Doolin left the team after a fight in practice with another player several days after the ISU game. If you review your comment you will find that you were wrong in stating USF was missing key players for the ISU game.

My screen name is UtesBy5 because it was a popular saying a longtime Utah broadcaster used for many years. It is not my prediction for the game on Saturday.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Idaho State plays in the Pac?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:22 a.m.

@utesby5...

I would say nice try on the recovery, but it really wasn't... Your comment is on record, anyone can read your post about how you thought that I was defending USF's loss to Idaho State when I was obviously trying to point out that you were giving too much credit of the predicted strength of the USF team... It is true that both Doolin (their star) and Dickerson played in the OT loss to the Bengals but it was Doolin's last game before he headed back to his home in Texas to mentally recover... So I am thinking that their heads couldn't have been completely into the game at that point.

Different topic...I find it humorus that you go out of your way to say that you didn't claim that the utes would beat the Cougs... Perhaps you can tell me what "utesby5" means then... lol.

Seems like you enjoy taking shots at BYU and the WCC... Did you know that if the utes were in the WCC their RPI would rank 5th??? and their SOS would rank last??? Oh ouch...

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 2:51 p.m.

@Poyman

Let me try again to help you understand that USF had a complete team when they lost to ISU.

First, the WCC coaches were polled on October 24th and picked USF to finish 4th in the WCC. Two of the Dons' players were selected to the All-WCC Team, Cole Dickerson and Cody Doolin.

Both Dickerson and Doolin were in the lineup during the ISU game on November 18th. The Dons were completely healthy for the game in which they were defeated by ISU 93-90.

To give you some credit, Cody Doolin is no longer on the roster because of an altercation with another teammate during practice. He left the team on November 26th. FYI, he led the Dons in minutes during their loss to ISU.

Yes, you are correct that the Dons would not be the 4th best team in the conference after Doolin left, however, their loss to ISU was eight days prior to his departure, when USF had their full team.

As duckhunter would say, "fail".

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 9:16 a.m.

@ Duckhunter I am not Chris B and I do not guarantee wins. Talking to Utah Coaches preseason they were very concerned with the lack of depth at several of the skill positions. After losing Scott, Wilson, Murphy, and Tonga I knew that the offense would be limited and being in a premier league the wins would be difficult to come by.
    I knew that I intimidate you because I speak the truth and it burns you as a Utah hater. You simply cant admit that with Utah being in a premier league it is going to change the athletic programs for the U of U for the better.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 9:15 a.m.

@sammy
    "Utes beating ISU is shortening the gap??? LOL"

I'm a fellow BYU fan, and yes the gap is shortening. Utah is much better this year than the last few years and will give our cougars all they can handle on Saturday. I love BYU, love their athletics, but fans who's vision is clouded to reality on either side of this rivalry just end up looking crazy when the games all over. I'm sick of the hatred in this rivalry. I don't like the Utes but I'm also turning over new leaf and giving them credit where it's due and cheering them on as representatives of this state. Don't let BYU haters (we all know who I'm referring to) make you hate Ute players, coaches, and the many classy members of their fanbase (some are my relatives, and many share the same faith that most BYU fans do). Merry Christmas and happy holidays, Sammy...after all we're going bowling and have a top 15 RPI in bball...life is good brother.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:32 p.m.

@utesby5

Sorry about the type-o's... I'm just not that good of typist and I don't really care enough when debating ute hoop fans to proof read. One thing that I've learned however, since I've started posting on the DN articles is that when somebody is getting beat in Debate they often turn into "proof readers" and immediately start grading spelling, punctuation and grammar. But I have to say, that is your best argument so far.

After reading your last paragraph I can tell that you really didn't understand my point or else it went over your head... What I was saying is... When the Coaches voted on who they thought would win the Conference, both SF's Big and the highly regarded PG were big parts of their Basketball Program... Shortly after the Season started and the Polling was done and posted, these two players walked away from the team and decided not to play this season... Had the polling occurred after this, then the coaches would have picked them to finish towards the bottom of the Conference... And the site, Team Rankings is a more accurate predictor because they use actual stats.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:33 p.m.

If Utah has a chance of beating BYU in the next few years its going to be Saturday. That being said I don't think it will be close. But BYU does have a way of bringing the fight out in the utes.

Hey Chris B. and all of your other identities. If you are so sure of a W on Saturday then please make the same agreement you made prior to September, 21. If BYU beats U then you'll quit posting for the entire basketball season.

Taker?

I bet not. Deep down you know it is a good thing you are posting anonymously.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:32 p.m.

"... despite the gap shortening."

Utes beating ISU is shortening the gap??? LOL

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:54 p.m.

@ Striker

What makes you think BYU can hold Utah under 90? The Cougs play terrible D

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Dec. 11, 2013 6:28 p.m.

This is how the ending of this game would have gone had it been football:

"The ISU QB takes the snap, rolls to his right, scrambles, finds an open man and....INTERCEPTED. Utes hold on for the win!"

Barely losing to Boise on the road and barely beating ISU at home is never a good thing. ISU could have easily won that game.

Since everyone is now discussing the BYU game, BYU wears teams out in the second half, especially teams not used to running the floor and scoring a lot like USU. Utah averaged 96 points per game vs very weak competition. 78 points per game in last 5, playing only one good team. BYU is averaging 85 points per game in their last 5 facing the likes of Texas, WSU, USU, and UMass, two of those ranked. If BYU can score 96 on the road at #21 UMass, it shouldn't be hard to handle Utah who is not used to playing tough teams at all.

BYU is #5 in scoring, #9 in rebounds, and #10 in assists. The team plays fast, hard, and as a team. Utah may have to score at least 90 to beat BYU. Doesn't look good for Crimson.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 6:20 p.m.

These comments are hysterical. Now I remember why I love reading the DN comment boards. BOTH of these programs have had great success in the past, with great tradition...one has been up while the other was down, except in the 80s when both bball programs were great...Ainge, Durrant, Fred Roberts, Greg Kite, etc...Pace Manion, Tom Chambers...amazing time for bball in the state of Utah. I for one hope those days return and both these programs can compete at the high level of those 80s teams at the same time. Right now BYU is the better program with 7 straight and 11 of 12 but Utah's getting much better. Good luck to both programs moving forward...it would be great to see BYU, Utah state, and Utah all going to the dance every year. That's the difference in bball...rankings don't matter, it's how you finish the year at The Show.

All that said, BYU wins Saturday because I think they are simply the better team right now, despite the gap shortening. And I think Utah fans dissing BYUs athleticism are a bit naive, and BYU has a big advantage in the front line.

BYU 82 Utah 75

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 6:02 p.m.

@poyman

"So a score of 88 for ASU and 60 for the big bad bengals of Idaho State equals a difference of 12 points to you eh??? Based on that kind of math I can see where you come up with a potential ute wictory over BYU... enven I don't think that the Cougs will get the utes by 30 in SLC."

Sorry, I read the score 80-68 which is a 12 point margin.

Where did I predict a potential Ute "wictory"? And "enven" you don't think that the cougs will get the Utes by 30?

Thanks, I'm sure "Team Rankings" is more accurate than the WCC coaches in projecting how the WCC teams will finish.

So you defend USF by pointing out a couple of injuries that caused them to lose to ISU? Based on that logic, imagine what 6-6 Michigan would have done to the 1984 *National Champions if Jim Harbaugh and the other injured Wolverines had played in byu's come from behind win. Of course, Michigan wouldn't have finished 7th in the BIG-10 and would have been invited to a better bowl with their players healthy.

• General Alpine, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Utes have a great coach. He can lead them to the win on Saturday.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Maybe Utah and BYU should just play each other to see who the best team is.

Silly me; Now I'm talking crazy!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 11, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I guess if and when BYU actually beats Utah in football I can revisit the issue. It's just been so long since that happened. Beat Utah, pretty simple concept when you think about it; no formula required.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 11, 2013 4:42 p.m.

@ CougarSunDevil

How does BYU own the head to head over Utah in hoops when they haven't even played yet? Don't count your chickens..........

In football, if BYU loses to Washington they more than likely will be behind Utah in the Saragin rankings. Then what? Will BYU fans actually admit Utah had the better team? I will believe it, when I see it.

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:37 p.m.

CougarSunDevil,

"It's so funny how Utah in football was terrible, but the fans pound their chests about SOS. BYU got beat by Utah head to head but BYU fans beat the better overall record drum. Each one arguing how the other was completely wrong, and how they were completely right.

Now Basketball comes around and Utah has the better W/L record, but has been owned by BYU but the Utah fans pound their chests about the better overall record, and BYU has the head to head, but more losses but pound the SOS drum."

The really funny thing is that the same heated argument was going on in reverse 15 years ago when BYU was clearly the dominant football program and Utah the dominant basketball program. Funny how perspectives shift!

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:32 p.m.

@Crow

"Stats dont lie even if it is against the talent Utah has played they are still dominating the teams like they should be."

Silliest Comment I have heard since the last time ChrisB opened his mouth! Actually Crow the stats are VERY deceiving in this case. Any logical Ute fan will understand the #121 team in the country with a record of 9-0 doesn't add up.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:29 p.m.

"Utes rally to defeat Idaho State in 10th consecutive home win"

Yeah, the utes are back.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:24 p.m.

@BYU Fans

It could be worse, we could be you.

BYU 16
    Virgina 19 (2-9)

Virginia's ONLY D1 win.

Disappointed in how we played, but impressed that when down 15, rather then quit, we found a way to win.

Utah 93
    BYU 86

Go Runnin' UTES!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:55 p.m.

@utesby5

SF was picked to finish 4th by the coaches before they lost their PG and one of their Bigs... "Team Rankings" however, has SF at 8th ahead of only Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine and this publication calculates this prediction based on actual statistics... But yes Idaho State nudged a very depleted SF by 3 points.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:34 p.m.

BYU 103 (unless utah milks 34 seconds of the clock every time which seems to be their strategy when they play the Mighty Cougars).
    utah 68

Haws and Carlino light it up for 60. Mika has career night 25.

chris b guarantees win - spells disaster for utah.

• STLute St. Louis, MO
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:33 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

"Playing utah add's nothing to BYU's schedule outside of tradition. ... They have dragged BYU's SOS for years and BYU would be better off not playing them and playing a team ranked consistently higher than utah like montana or the university of denver. … That said it is a traditional game in this state so BYU should grant utah a game provided utah can bring its average ranking up into the 100's instead of the 300's, short of that utah is just to big a detriment to BYU's SOS and RPI to be worth bothering with."
    -----
    How does your head make it through the doorways in your house? If I remember correctly, you actually had a good post a week or two ago regarding how teams go through periods of being up and down. It's true.

Utah hit the very bottom a couple years ago. They've obviously improved and will continue to do so. There will be a low again for your team too. Just remember that. There's no "granting" the other team an opportunity to play a game for either side.

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:08 p.m.

UtesBy5,

Arizona State beat ISU 88-60, that would be 28 points not 12.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Any D1 Pac 12 school who has to come from behind to beat Idaho State is not good! An ok win against an ISU team that really isn't any better than they were last year. If you think ISU is outstanding competition than you don't know basketball. The Utes are improved and it wouldn't surprise me it they Beat BYU. But just like the football team they are going to finish at the bottom of the pack 12. Maybe a little higher … I just remembered, the PAC 12 is a horrible basketball conference. Out of 12 teams they have 2 teams that have top 20 teams. Oregon and Arizona. It's too early to tell if UCLA is going to be any good. I can tell you I believe the Utes are a 20 win team. But, only if they play Idaho State 15 more times!

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:38 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

"@Chris B

Dude, you always make me laugh. I wanna party with you sometime... Let's meet at the Pie before the game. I'm buying! I'm guessing you will be the guy (or gal)dressed in red, with a PAC tatoo?"

LOL I want to see this Chris B person too. I'm betting he or she will be wearing blue with a tattoo of Cosmo! Is it possible that this is a very convincible BYU troll posing as a Utes fan?

Thanks for the laugh!

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:33 p.m.

@poyman

"All Right!!! Give me five!!! Up High!!! YES!

What a great come back... Down by 15 in the first half and the utes came back to knock over that big bad tough foe from the dreaded Big Sky Conference who has a 3-3 record with losses to such teams as Cal State Bakersfield, who came within 30 points of ASU, and who are picked to finish 7th in the Big Sky this year just behind Portland State but ahead of Sac State who beat the utes in SLC last year..."

Isn't this the same big bad tough foe that knocked off the U. of San Francisco on the road? The WCC coaches picked USF to finish 4th behind Gonzaga, BYU and St. Mary's....

Also, ASU beat ISU by 12, not 30.

I'm certainly not saying ISU is a good basketball team, I'm just saying they aren't as bad as you make them sound.

Enjoy the game Saturday, I think you might be a little surprised by how improved the Utes are this year. The best future NBA player from Utah colleges just might be wearing #55 for the Utes. Delon Wright (Dorell's little brother) is a stud!

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:12 p.m.

@crow

You are quickly overtaking christina as the most ridiculous poster on these boards, that is if you aren't just another one of christina's 4000 screen names which I think there is a pretty high probability of.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:42 p.m.

Crow
    Sandy , UT

===

Compared to the power preseason that Utah has scheduled?

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Balan - Your comment "I love the hyprciscy of Utah fans" has me laughing out loud. Oh, that is rich.

You BYU fans wrote the book on hypocrisy!

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Listen - if Utah wants to run scared from playing BYU by demanding a 2 for 1 (which it appears that they are) then so be it. I have advocated for a long time that BYU should stop playing Utah all together. We don't need them and quite frankly they do not need us.

But the arrogance displayed by Hill, coack k, and the whole Utah organization in general, based on their membership in the PAC11+u is pretty funny. Usually you get arrogant when you do something on the field of play - but not Utah. With their obsession with the PAC12 Utah fans look utterly ridiculous. But hey, if those PAC12 banners flapping from your car make you feel good, then go for it!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Spokane Ute
    Spokane, WA

===

If BYU beats Utah and is ranked higher at the end of the season, Utah is better than BYU in my book.

@Chris B

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:15 p.m.

"The bad thing about BYU, is they will still claim to have a better team even if they get beat"

No - Only when EVERY national ranking service (including Sagarin) verifies that fact based on a whole season's results.

On the other hand BYU beat USU last year 6-3 but I believe that USU was the best football team in the state last year - period. All of the national rankings backed that up.

All of the BYU fans I know agree with me. I just stated something that a Utah fan would never admit if they were in the same situation.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:12 p.m.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Chris B

"I GUARANTEE Utah wins this Saturday"

I was talking to someone the other day about whether or not God will hold us accountable for the things we post on these message boards. We didn't come to any real conclusion. If God does hold us accountable, I hope for the sake of some Utah fans that He doesn't factor in predictability.

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:35 a.m.

@ 1978
    That will change once they play the slubs in the wcc. The difference with the WCC and the PAC. The wcc slubs have to schedule the front end of their schedules with teams from premier conferences to inflate their RPI rankings. But their rankings will take a downward spiral once conference play starts and their strength of schedule takes a big hit.
    @ Duckhunter
    Utah for years was taking a big hit in their RPI ranking when they played byu. It caused Utah to be seeded lower in the NCAA tourney because they had to play the byus of old with records of 1-26.
    College sports is cyclical during the era byu was pulling off their impressive 1-26 record Utah was dominating the WAC and MWC it takes time to rebuild a program. Utah unfortunately hired two poor coaches and paid the price. Utah has the right Coach, talented players and is on an upward climb.
    By years end Utahs RPI will be in the top 50 byus will be in the mid 60s to low 90s thanks to the two difference conferences they are in. Utah also has every right to demand 2 for 1 it does nothing to play a wcc team for Utah.

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:35 a.m.

Chris,

I hope you are kidding when you say that in order for BYU to play Utah in the future it will have to be a 2 for 1. Utah in no way can ask that of a team that has beaten them the way BYU has over the last few years. Do you think Colorado could make an above average team agree to a 2 for 1 in football because they are in the "mighty Pac 12" and their opponent is not? I don't think so. That only works when you're playing a proven and consistently strong program. I hate to break it to you but Utah is by no means a proven and consistently strong basketball program.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:32 a.m.

1978,

What someone really needs to do apparently is tell the AP voters they really need to look at the RPI since the experts in the AP have byu not ranked and yet according to the RPI byu is better than Duke, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Kentucky!

LOL

• swoop alumnus Rakuen, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:23 a.m.

chrissy
    please don't embarrass swoop grads. your infatuation with the pac 10.2 is NOT healthy. I recommend getting out of the confines of SLC and really see that aside from you and a few others no one cares about pac 10.2 or any conference for that matter.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Chris B,
    Good but not great win over ISU! If Utah can slow the game down and keep BYU from getting lots of points in transition and in the paint they might have a chance but BYU is already battle tested and a bit scarred (Mika)!!! I do not see the MUSS rushing the court after this one!!!

GO BYU RISE UP!!!

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:10 a.m.

@ nhatch82 Stats dont lie even if it is against the talent Utah has played they are still dominating the teams like they should be.

Dont worry nhatch82 BYU will have their shot to extend their scoring margin (maybe) since they play in the wcc. But then again byu does not play defense so even the slubs of the wcc should be able to score at will on byu.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Crow - BYU might have gone 1-25, but three years later they were a 20-win team - and they didn't pad their schedule with no-name schools like Utah has done this year in order to get there. You should be utterly embarrassed about the schedule the Utes have played the last few years.

I love the hyprciscy of Utah fans - bagging on BYU for playing Idaho State but then ranting and raving when you come back from 15 down and beat them. You do realized they are a Big Sky team, right? Picked to finish in the middle of their conference, or lower. And you are whooping and hollering about this win???

Speaks volumes as to the depth the Utah basketball program has fallen to.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:51 a.m.

I don't think the Utes looked as sharp last night as they did in previous games. However, a win is a win. We shall find out how good they are come Saturday. The bad thing about BYU, is they will still claim to have a better team even if they get beat; they will resort to the Saragin rankings to justify this. I guess if you can't beat them on the playing field, you can always go to plan B.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:32 a.m.

"We already have a great schedule with teams such as Oregon, UCLA, Arizona"

RPI Rankings:

Arizona #12
    Oregon #15
    UCLA #33

Average: #20

St. Marys #9
    Gonzaga #20
    Pacific #26

Average: #18

Maybe those stupid computers don't realize that they should bump up teams an additional 5 spots because they are in the "mighty" PAC12.

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:30 a.m.

@ poyman
    You keep harping on BYU's great RPI record. Just to let you know byu belongs in the wcc conference and once conference play starts byu will play one quality team just like Utah is done during the front end of their schedule (Boise State). Your RPI ranking will take a big downward spiral since the only legitimate team in the wcc is Gonzaga.
    Utah’s RPI will only increase once they start PAC 12 play. Utah will play 4 teams currently in the top 26 including the #1 team in the Country Arizona. Again byu will play the slubs of the wcc .
    Last night was a big win for Utah in so many ways. It prepped Utah for byu’s zone defense that they like to run since byu is not athletic and cannot play man. It showed that Utah can come back from being down by 15; Utah’s teams in the past would have folded. Utah is getting better and as bad as Utah was in the past they never finished with a 1-26 record.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:30 a.m.

@christina

Playing utah add's nothing to BYU's schedule outside of tradition. utah is a terrible losing program that hasn't done anything positive in more than half a decade. They have dragged BYU's SOS for years and BYU would be better off not playing them and playing a team ranked consistently higher than utah like montana or the university of denver. Beating down a terrible program 7 times in a row and 11 of 12 just isn't much fun.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Almost comical "how the ball bounces". Utes were not getting rebounds. My favorite was when an Idaho State player got a rebound while on his back! He managed to kick it out to a teammate for the score.

Glad the Utes stuck with it and came back for the win.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:56 a.m.

"And remember, the team with more points is the better team. That's how sports work."

You are absolutely right. That is how it worked the last 7 games they played.

Seriously, I think Coach K has Utah on the right track. The game against Boise State, BYU's game last year and the PAC12 tournament run proved that.

I will be a good game and I am NOT making any predictions.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Dan,

How embarrassing will a loss to the #121 team be?

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:52 a.m.

The Utes were lucky on this one. I have seen BYU and they look tough this year. The Utes will be tested and better play their best game of the year on Saturday. The home court should help. If Haws and Carlino are both on their game I see BYU winning by 10 points.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Rumor now that future Utah/byu games are in jeopardy. Just as I have always said, byu needs to get ready to accept 2 for 1's in football and basketball if they want to play us. Power conference teams have more power in negotiations than non power conference teams. We already have a great schedule with teams such as Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and many others on the schedule year after year after year.

The little guys want to play the big boy teams more than the big boy teams need to schedule down to lower conferences.

There are plenty of teams that would LOVE to get a Pac 12 team on their schedule, and not too many that want a WCC team on their schedule.

Just another benefit of being in the prestigious Pac 12, we have all the negotiating leverage.

Want to play us?

Fine, the price is a 2 for 1.

Don't like it? Tough.

• Dan the Fan PROVO, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:20 a.m.

@ImaUteFan

Byu currently holds the #8 RPI in the nation!

Utah is sitting at #121 in RPI!

I think BYU can take a little break after playing a tough preseason schedule. That break will come with Prairie View A&M and a Utah team that is close to getting back to where it once was but still 1-2 out

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:16 a.m.

nhatch,

The only question for Saturday is which excuse byu fans will use for the loss?

1) The Pac 12 refs
    2) The weather inside the HC that somehow impacted byu and not Utah

LOL

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 9:05 a.m.

@Crow

HAHAHA you really think your #1 in scoring margin is a legit stat? The teams you have played so far this year are a complete joke. lets look at these teams you have destroyed so far. UC Davis, Grand Canyon (is this an actual college? or did you guys just go sight seeing and called it a win?), Lamar, savannah state, Ball st, You lost to a semi decent Boise Team, and beat a terrible Fresno State team, then squeaked by Idaho State? Your RPI in in the upper 12000's. I think Lone peak high school could beat most of these teams. Its interesting how the hypocrisy flip flops from your views of football and basketball.

@christy

This is yet another failed guarantee. Your guarantee's are irrelevant when you say it every game and were wrong 7-12 times in football. 12-13 wins this weekend. Let the streak continue!

Go cougs

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:56 a.m.

For all you Y fans dissing Utah's win last night . . . uh, who is YOUR opponent tonight?

Oh, that's right, the powerhouse known as Prairie View A&M. Really???

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:36 a.m.

I think it's a little bit of a stretch to think the Utes can dominate the Cougs. BYU will be by far the best team they have played and one of the top scoring teams in the country. BYU is the better team and should win. With that said, Utah has some athleticism and could cause the Cougs some problems on the defensive end of things. Utah's one weakness is their inside game. That will need to change come Saturday if they want to win. I don't think the Utes will be ready for the Cougs up tempo style. BYU should win this game, but the Utes can pull off the upset if they play their best game of the year.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Louisiana Coug, thank you. You actually contribute to the board.

Good win? meh, it's a win and better than losing.

Disappointed the team came out flat, but the at least the team came back. Probably is a game the Utes lose last year, definitely 2 years ago when they didn't have the talent, or gumption to dig out of a 15 point hole, no matter who the opponent was.

Saturday should be fun.

Go UTES!!

• swoop alumnus Rakuen, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:31 a.m.

I think there is a very good chance that the swoops (trying to be PC) will get into the final four this year. They will walk all over the cougs Saturday and easily take the pac 10.2 championship. My only disappointment this year is that there has not been an announcement for building a bigger basketball arena, as the current one just cannot and will not hold the fans that are wanting tickets.

• LoveTheKittens Central, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Yes weak schedule, too many cupcakes...sounds like BYU football...er I mean...Go Western Catholic Conference!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 8:22 a.m.

Like our friends in Provo always say, its better to beat worse teams than LOSE to ranked teams.

Go Utes!

I GUARANTEE Utah wins this Saturday.

Get the crow ready for our friends in blue

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 7:58 a.m.

@ Joe Schmoe

How will byu hold Utah to 69 points they don’t play defense. On average byu is giving up 80.4 points per game Utah 60.9. Utah is #1 in scoring margin 26.8, BYU 78th 9.5. Like the Utah teams of old caoch K has Utah playing defense unlike a byu Dave Rose coached team that has to play zone because of their lack of athleticism.

BYU has one big man Mika and he is prone to getting into foul trouble while he is sitting on the bench byu throws in Nate Austin who cant defend which was evident in the Iowa St game. Utahs bigs Lenz and Bachynski will dominate Mika and Austin. byu does not have an answer for Wright who is leading the nation with 74% shooting average.

Utah 87 byu of the wcc 65
    If you dont think Utah is getting the talent Lenz was offered by Auburn, Gonzaga, USC, Texas and Virginia Tech. Wright was offered by Washington, Washington State, St. Mary's and Gonzaga

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 7:38 a.m.

The lack of enthusiasm is on Coach K. Our guys were not excited about ISU and it showed. Coach finally took a time out in the 2nd half to yell and get them motivated. Can't do that against the PAC 12 or decent teams like BYU or even Boise. Boise actually played Kentucky pretty tough.

Utah will win 19 games this year and make it to a post season tourney this year. Arizona, UCLA, Colorado, Oregon, Cal are all looking really tough this year.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:51 a.m.

@2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0
    Ogden, UT

"Great team win. Idaho state came out strong but we pulled through.

The huntsman center is rocking these days.

Proud ute! Proud PAC 12 fan.

Utah 77
    Byu 69

I don't like to make predictions but I'm fine with yours! Saturday can't come soon enough for us to see how your prediction turns out. Hope it's going to be a great and fun game to watch.

Go Cougars!!!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 4:17 a.m.

LOL Idaho State gave them a run for their money. It is hilarious to see the Utah fans thinking they have a basketball team once again. Enjoy these few wins here at the beginning of a weak pre-season schedule because reality is about to kick in.

BYU 85
    Utah 68

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:53 a.m.

Nice comeback, Utah.

The team has really gelled and has some solid players. Coach K has done a phenomenal job!

Looking forward to Saturday's game against BYU. It should be a barn burner.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:04 a.m.

All Right!!! Give me five!!! Up High!!! YES!

This brave and fabulous performance came on the heels of a landmark win over the Bull Dogs of Fresno State who dropped a 10 point heartbreaker to the Pacific Tigers who are picked to finish 4th or 5th in the WCC... They also played the Pitt Panthers tough right down to the opening Tip Off and lost by over 20 they bounce however and beat Northern Arizona by 4 in OT.

So let's all pat ourselves on the back and talk about how the utes are going to take down the #12 RPI rated Cougars of BYU... LOL...

Cougars 83 utes 69 (Thanks to end of game garbage time).

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 10, 2013 11:14 p.m.

Even though the win was much more difficult than it should have been for the Utes, the positive takeaway from this is that they came back from a 15 point deficit to WIN. The teams from the past two seasons would have easily LOST this game.

8 - 1 feels pretty good right now. Hope it's 9 - 1 after Saturday's game against the Cougars.

GO UTES!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 10, 2013 11:03 p.m.

Never thought I'd see the day when the Utah Utes from the Conference of Champions would take such great pride in beating a lower half of the Big Sky conference with a 3 - 3 record. I didn't see the game, but I'm wondering if the 8,000 attendees rushed the court?

Very disappointed I don't get to see the Utes vs the Cougs this weekend. With my 400+ channels on DirecTV, I think I will see every other Cougar game, but this one is hidden away on the PAC network, which is not as available as The MTN used to be.

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    Dec. 10, 2013 10:28 p.m.

Get real, the Uties are toast on Saturday night. The barely beat Idaho State. ISU's best player wouldn't even make the BYU roster. BYU by 25 on Saturday night.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 10, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Thinking about it, if I'm not mistaken the Utes made 6/7 3's in the second half compared to 5/15 in the first. Amazing how attacking a zone, driving and kicking, can open up good shots compared to swing passes around the perimeter! Now keep it up on Saturday and Loveridge, Tucker, Taylor, Van Dyke and Ogbe could all potentially have a big night.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 10, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Great team win. Idaho state came out strong but we pulled through.

The huntsman center is rocking these days.

Proud ute! Proud PAC 12 fan.

Utah 77
    Byu 69

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 10, 2013 9:45 p.m.

Very sloppy game! Give credit to ISU, they played great, but that was an abysmal first half.

The only positive I took away was the fact that the Utes played against the zone all night which will prepare them for the matchup against BYU. If the Utes can penetrate BYUs zone like they did against ISU in the second half, I believe they should win. If they can't penetrate and they settle for outside jumpers all game, it could be a long night.

GO UTES!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 10, 2013 9:24 p.m.

First off, I give some credit to ISU. They look about 200% improved from last year, they can shoot and play zone defense pretty well. They may do pretty well against most of the Big Sky aside from Weber.

However, this game should've never been competitive. Utah played sloppy offense and lazy defense the entire first half. Coach K may not have been overlooking this game, but it definitely seemed like the players were. The win wasn't impressive, but they at least avoided the embarrassment of losing a game comparable to what Sacramento State and CS-Northridge were last year. The only real positive was seeing Loveridge break out of his scoring funk lately. BYU plays a lot of that match up zone, so hopefully they will attack it on the drive inside like they started to do in the second half tonight.