Utah

Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say Centerville man's sight restoration 'a miracle'

Comments

• Erika Salem, Utah
    Dec. 12, 2013 1:43 p.m.

I believe in miracles; and I believe miracles happen - not counter to laws - but in accordance with laws that surpass our knowledge and understanding. We'll understand them at some point, but let someone's miracle be a miracle. There's no doubt it FEELS miraculous to see when you were given slim odds, if any.

Calling it a miracle is not wrong -- it's hopeful! I hate when people try to discourage the hope of others by splitting hairs. Faith is excellent. Many things don't make sense. But acknowledging amazing happenings with gratitude is powerful.

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:32 p.m.

@Jsox: The answers always have to be logical because if they aren't logical then they can't be answers; they must be delusions. Glad that I don't live in your "world". Too many wonderful things happening for me to turn from those that don't logically make sense just because my small mind and understanding doesn't comprehend how it happened. Feeling sorry for those that don't or aren't willing to see miracles in the world around them. You are missing many things because your logic impairs your ability to understand.

• zabivka Orem, UT
    Dec. 7, 2013 5:00 p.m.

So nice to see that this man retained his ability to see after such a potentially life-ending accident.

Regarding the discussion at hand, I suppose you might attribute this to a higher power, but as other commenters have already mentioned, this really does complicate things. At best, it creates the notion that God is capricious, doling out miracles here and there as he sees fit.

• nycbuy Centerville, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 9:49 a.m.

This debate over divine intervention and miracles is not new. In fact, this may have been the original topic of human debate. Even the most skeptical of God's existence and intervention must stipulate to the evidence of the power of faith, hope, and positive mental outlook. Healing is physically improved by the choices a person makes to look forward rather than backward, to focus on the remaining gifts of life and the great possibilities ahead rather than what has been lost and what could have been. Those that claim to be realists are often those who are making excuses for their unwillingness to pick themselves up and press forward. Life is brutally hard under the most favorable circumstances. I choose to surround myself with people who expect more for themselves than pain and hardship, who choose to believe in light over darkness, who choose to inspire and uplift rather than accept defeat. Dustin and Ashley have made those choices in the toughest time in their lives. Their faith and willingness to look forward should cause each of us to examine our beliefs and attitudes. We can be better.

• 5 Orem, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 7:40 a.m.

It sounds like a miracle. I have been fortunate to experience more than a few in my lifetime.

If some say I am delusional, that is their right by virtue of agency, which is God given.

Another miracle would be if the doctors involved and who admitted the miracle, would now acknowledge the miracle from God and not charge the fees for the miracle.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:05 p.m.

The tracheotomy would help him breath, but not eat.

It's wonderful when prayers are answered with a yes. I pray strength for the family and wisdom and skill for the medical team.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:33 p.m.

@Hutterite
    You make an unprovable and mistaken claim. You stated some one who believes in miracles "has to equally know that same god is indifferent to the suffering of the war torn, storm ravaged and billions who go hungry every day." That is a false assumption. How do you know he is indifferent? How do you know he doesn't care? How do you know it's not all part of a much bigger plan than you can comprehend. If you can comprehend that a big bang accidently caused the wars, the storms and starvation then good on you. I can comprehendd that there is a much bigger plan going on here. I'm sorry miracles don't happen in your mind. Because if you actually looked you would see that they are all around you everyday. You may be enjoying an alternate form of reality. They are happening everyday in my world.

• ipr Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Several people state that there are no miracles, because it isn't fair that God would heal only one person and He would let others suffer. In that case there is a presumption that God would not let anybody suffer and if He doesn't conform, there is no God. As a physicist, I can guarantee you that that is not a scientific method. The scientific method states that you have an idea, you test it, you draw conclusions and the research needs to be confirmed by others repeating the experiment. If the results do not confirm your hypothesis, then the hypothesis is incorrect and you need to come up with another idea. The hypothesis that God would never let anybody suffer is incorrect, but it does not proof that there is no God and He doesn't perform miracles. For centuries we believed F=ma to be Newton's second law. Only when Einstein came around, did we realize that this law doesn't work under all circumstances. Newton's hypothesis was not complete. I have witnessed miracles and believe with all my being that God exists.

• Jsox Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:02 p.m.

@Mr. Smitty - I don't think most commenters here understand what the word "miracle" means. Phenomenal yes... miracle no.

@JSB - Deluded

@krrslc - If God us just why suspend the laws of nature (intervene) to restore the sight of this young man? Does it make sense for a God to suspend the laws that govern our natural existence in this mans favor, and yet let thousands of innocent kids die every year from leukemia? If you are using your brain the answer is, no it doesn't. It makes no sense at all.

I do however give credit to this guy for willing his body to get better.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:08 p.m.

In order to claim events like these are miracles performed by a god you know exists, you have to equally know that same god exists indifferent to the suffering of the war torn, storm ravaged, and billions who go hungry every day, What sort of planner is responsible for this plan? I cannot claim to know god exists, because it cannot be known. Having faith is fine, but personal.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:52 p.m.

I'm thoroughly convinced that every living person experiences silent miracles of which he is totally unaware. We each need a thousand miracles to be born and stay alive for our allotted time, and 995 are granted. Heavenly Father is very generous with His miracles, and it is a shame that many of us are not more thankful.

• Apocalypse please Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Miracle or not it's great that the gentleman is getting better. I do wonder what criteria people use to classify some event as a miracle. What role did modern medicine have to play? If God isn't coming down and personally taking credit for the miracle then how do you know who is doing the intervening (or at all)? What role does faith have in influencing the outcome?

A previous poster mentioned that there is an equal amount of evidence for faith and science. I'd be very interested to see/hear this evidence.

• What Yeah Centerville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:43 p.m.

@Mr. Smitty - It's a miracle that ANYONE can see. Just because something is commonplace, does not mean that it can't be miraculous.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Sometimes I think about all of this about religion and God is just something human beings need to hang on something. But then, when I remember all the miracles I have personally witnessed in my life, I cannot deny, for one second, there is God and there are miracles.

I am not scientist or genius or $$, just a regular Jane, but all I know is that there is God. It's not that I believe in, I know.

Thanks for publishing the story. He will be out of this ordeal sometime soon stronger than ever. I thank him for his example and for reminding us to put things on perspective. Next time I complain about the trivial things in life, I will remember him and then I will be grateful for what I have and not whine for what I don't. What a great lesson.

• David Centerville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:29 p.m.

I have experienced true miracles in my own life.

I know that God exists. He loves us and we are His sons and daughters.

This earth was created for us to learn to love, to develop greater faith in God, and to serve others.

Jesus Christ suffered, and so will we. That is how faith and strength is developed. Life is a test. But we will not be tested more than we can handle.

But have faith.

I am happy to hear Dustin is joyous in this accident. The sight he has is a true miracle and has given him and the whole family joy in this season.

• Swartzy Arlington, TX
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:27 p.m.

I too believe in miracles. I have not seen a Red Sea Parted, Or a mountain moved, but I have seen many small and yet very important miracles in my life. My wife is a nurse and we are friends with many of the Drs she works with. Ask them if they believe in Miracles. ONe man was an agnostic until he started working with Children with Cancer. Now he believes in a god. He doesn't profess a religion but he states there is a god with fervor. He says he has seen terminally ill children, where they have given up hope of curing, brought to life at the last min and are now grown adults. He said they were to operate on a tumor that was pushing against the brain of a very young child and causing great pain, yet when they went it to take it out, it was almost gone. They had MRIs that showed the tumor but yet it was not there. Many things are miracles and you don't have to be a religious person to admit it. I am grateful for every miracle no matter how big or small.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Dustin's Faith and Courage are so refreshing. It will not be easy but we were told it would not be. I got chills as I read his story and I pray that the Lord's choicest blessings will be with Dustin and his family and that they will never give up. He is certainly an example of what can and cannot be done when we have Faith, Love and Perseverance in our heart.

• twinkleberry67 Layton, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:49 a.m.

I think it is awesome that they can help him heal and that his vision can be restored. It is truly a miracle. I just wish there were more of them. Sadly, if the optic nerve or the retina itself is damaged, nothing can be done for it. I hope someday some real legitimate research can take place instead of all this science fiction about a million ways to cure the blind mice to beef up resumes, get published and raise funds for something else. I send happy thoughts their way and hope they have a wonderful Christmas.

• jzer Haworth, OK
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:30 a.m.

Mr. Smitty,

Something that never ceases to amaze is when people who do not have experience with spiritual things act like absolute authorities on those things. Many intelligent and educated people have had many experiences with answers to prayer and miracles. I have experienced answers to prayer that were absolutely undeniable, and not as you might think, figments of my imagination. As someone who apparently has no experience with such things, you are not an expert on them, and thus in no position to declare that miracles do not happen. Many millions of people are able to refute your statement.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:58 a.m.

Mr. Smitty, how do you know that "miracles don't happen." Is your knowledge in some way superior to the personal experience of the thousands and thousands of people who have actually experienced divine intervention and can testify of miracles in their lives? Are they all deluded? Or are they all lying?

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:34 a.m.

I believe in miracles.

Note that the doctors did not cure this man; they told him he was blind.
    Perhaps in a Christmas show of humility they will agree to take no money
    from this man, despite anything they did do.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:24 a.m.

It's awesome that God gave him back his sight.
    And if God had chosen not to give him back his sight, then that would also be God's will.
    Miracles are tricky things.

• krrslc Centerville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Mr. Smitty, you bring up valid points. Of course there are many people without sight. Of course there are many things that doctors do not understand. Nobody claimed that this man was somehow favored by God over those who remain blind. The fact that he can now see and others remain in darkness is NOT evidence that miracles do not happen, however.

I'm sure you're proud of your open-mindedness, as you should be. Skepticism is valuable. Questioning things is important - necessary, even. Everyone, religious or not, should engage in analytical thought and seek truth for themselves.

As someone who likely considers themselves to be enlightened, I'd simply submit to you that there is the exact same amount of hard evidence on both sides of the faith/science debate here. The only facts are that he was in a horrible accident, was blind and told he would remain so, and had his sight restored without medical intervention.

I'd also like to remind you that you were not there and you have not been a part of this story. I was. I have been. And all I can tell you is that I've seen miracles.

• Ironman SANTA CLARA, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:59 a.m.

He is fortunate to have such a beautiful wife to support him. She must be a saint.

• Mr. Smitty Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Good for him and his family. However, miracles don't happen. There are millions of children who are blind because they don't consume enough vitamin E, and somehow God choose to give sight to this guy. No. He simply regained sight due to physical laws his doctor doesn't understand. Let's rid ourselves with superstition and celebrate the luck this young man is experiencing.

However, I think it's awesome this guy is starting to see.

• realsaint21 United States, AZ
    Dec. 4, 2013 6:43 a.m.

It never ceases to amaze me, the human spirit is so strong and once set in motion in tune with God's plan, nothing can stop it. A car wreck nearly took my life in 1986. I had to learn to overcome many obstacles from learning how to stand erect, and learn to walk again. The doctors said I never would. God had other plans. What I learned from my experience is that no human being God created has boundaries set by anyone other than God. You have a great spirit and testimony, Dustin. Maybe someday our paths will cross and we can compare scars. Take care of yourself and know you are loved. He has the number of hairs on our head counted. Hang in there and never give up on what you want to do in life. Good to see God is still in the miracle business. Get well soon and best wishes for a speedy recovery. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

• valhas5 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 9:13 p.m.

Dustin you're awesome! I'm praying for you! Even as a kid you were great! And had a great spirit! You can make it through this! Love ya bud! Valeen

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Miracles can happen and payers may answer. You see, I am visually and hearing impaired all my life and no it is not fun at all. Yes, I am lucky to have my own family in my own house. Just be grateful that your sights has been restored and BE careful when you go out to play.