Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for faith and character as well as 'Fast & Furious' films

• jesus is the answer salt lake, UT
    July 27, 2015 11:49 p.m.

Fact is. He accepted Jesus has his savior, became a christian. Left the lds church, probley because he didn't believe in it after finding what was really true. He accepted Jeuse in his life. Jesus loves us,we repent and ammite we our sinners. We live in the flesh our bodies our sin. We will never work are way to being perfect. For we our saved by God's grace.

• Vilma Williams WASHINGTON, DC
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:01 a.m.

"The Church" is not making any comments, the people are making comments. remember that the Church is perfect but the members (active or not active) are not. We are all trying to be better, and more like Christ. If the Church were to give a message in this regard, the message would be the one from Jesus Christ and He loves us unconditionally, forgives us and he does not remember our sins if we repent. Love you all because all of you are trying to convey something positive (your way). So, thank you for caring.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Dec. 8, 2013 12:23 a.m.

Excellent comment. Eloquent and Oh, so true!

• Mikki St. George, UT
    Dec. 7, 2013 8:53 p.m.

Filthy Kuffar

"I suppose when your political affiliate accepts things such as abortion and gay marriage, things your religous affiliate stand firmly against, you should feel a little uncomfortable in church, airnaut. Choose ye this day..."

I always thought that church was a place one could go with a broken heart & a contrite spirit to feel the unconditional love of the savior, Jesus Christ, no matter your circumstances. But as I have learned living here in Utah, from various people I have come into contact with via family, wards I have attended & reading comments from mormons like you on news feeds like these, the LDS church is a place you can go if you want to feel the judgmental, condescending self loathing you may already feel towards yourself mirrored back to you by all of your peers a million times worse than you could ever project onto yourself. What ever happened to lifting one another up? Is being a "good mormon" only about showing up every sunday at church? Or is it about how you treat your fellow man on this earth? And trying to lift others up when they are struggling instead of kicking them while they are down?

• AyreWolf Gooding, Idaho
    Dec. 6, 2013 3:32 a.m.

Schwa: When they put me under once I fly my last flight, I hope and pray, that they don't put LDS on my stone or anything with a Yankee title, I'm a Confederate American, proud of it, and pray more will see. So was Paul. He belonged to the Dixie Amalgamated Church, and was happy to meet with us on a regular basis.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 7:26 p.m.

Cats claims "I have never known anyone who left the Church who was ever happier no matter how much they try to convince themselves and everyone else they are."

You obviously don't know many.

That said, I am much less stressed & more at peace with myself and the world since I eliminated a bunch of silly paradigms from my life.

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 7:21 p.m.

re: Cats Dec 3rd

What the DN and/or the non secular entity associated with it are doing is the exact same as what Access Hollywod, TMZ, E!, etc... do. Simply, Ooooh; look at the "celebrity"

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 7:18 p.m.

to AZkid & KellyWSmith (page 1)...

Maybe, once you step outside the bubble, you realize how silly life inside is?

To Dennis & A Scientist (also pg 1)...

Don't rule out Vanity/pride.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 4:25 p.m.

Atheists don't understand believers, either. When I die, please don't refer to me as Mormon-raised.

• AyreWolf Gooding, Idaho
    Dec. 5, 2013 4:41 a.m.

Amazing, someone says LDS and the claws comes out. Hey I know our region is dominated by LDS and all, but I'd prefer to take the Confederate southern side. Paul was a great person. Worked with him in all three Fast And Furious gigs, and hey I once was LDS and left, the church. Not because of show business, but because of the bigoted views some had with me in me being of the deep South. The Church became a argument or at least a fight every time I went to church. I'm now with The River Fellowship here in my area, and am working on my theology degree, so I can create a church, of truth.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:33 p.m.

You know, I read a few more comments and I just need to say something. Some of you people are among the most arrogant people on Earth! You even go so far as to judge another member based on stupidity! Who do people think they are? Our beliefs in God are among the most important things we possess! My friends did that to me! Because I am gay, you all assume whatever you want to! Oh! I don't think any other thing has hurt worse than this! I use to try, with my family and others, to talk about spiritual things. They don't mean to do it, but they judge the value of my beliefs as being very low! I was operated on and almost died. I wanted to talk , and I wanted it so bad I realized that I had a co worker(Mormon) backed into a corner and I made her listen! I know I can't be a member! I still have faith in God and in myself! It hurts. I Don't see myself like others do. Mormons judge! Who are you to judge so harshly?

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Can I just point out something important without trying to offend? It doesn't sound very good when you refer to people as active or inactive and telling us he is still Christian! You may not see it like others do! People shouldn't be judged that much based upon how many times they go to Church. My experience has caused me pain for almost thirty years. Somebody , I never asked, started talking about me being gay! I was far from being out at that time! It didn't matter. It was too late. Mormons don't realize how much they judge. After that people would judge me. It is hard to explain. If I said anything about God, they just wouldn't respond. It is almost like they took my beliefs and threw them out! I have had people get defensive as if I am an enemy! There are no words ever that could tell any of you how much it hurts and the pain I have had for years! I never seen myself in that way. So, it bothers me when someone so easily decides where a person stands! It was just something that stood out to me.

• Eagles63 Provo, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:34 p.m.

The gospel is flawless. "The Church" or any church isn't. Being in the LDS faith makes me better and makes me want to be better. A church/religion is like railroad tracks. For the most part, they go where they go and if you want to deviate to another place, you can't expect the railroad company to instantly make new tracks to that place just because you want it. They can build new tracks, but that takes time (e.g., Declaration I and II). So, if you're wanting the LDS faith to go everywhere to suit your needs (i.e., insert Priesthood for women or gay marriage, 90-minute block, or ) then you know it isn't going to happen for some time, at least not quickly and maybe even ever. Yet, for many the Church benefits their lives. Paul Walker was on his own tracks, many others are as well. I don't begrudge them their rails or their path. I will, however, always want to declare to others so that they know that "our" train is open to all and that I feel blessed everyday that I get to be on the LDS rails.

• BobF2012 kitchener, 00
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:45 p.m.

I make no judgments on Mr. Walker, and offer my sincere condolences to his family. I just don't like to see a former or less-active member of the Church held up as a shining example. I have no doubt he was a good man, based on what I read in this article about his charity work, and the importance he placed on fatherhood. But there are many fine examples of active LDS men and women, and I think they should be highlighted.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:29 a.m.

You need to get out more, and maybe actually talk and listen to people who have left the church. Then you would see very clearly that there are many who are very very happy after they leave. Either that or they or all liars when they say they are happy, and that is doubtful. Sad that you think that the over %99 of the planet who isn't mormon aren't happy. Perplexing.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:49 a.m.

I beg to differ with the comments on my being "confused".
    The Church is completely involved with this article. It's published in the Church owned paper in the "Faith" department. They don't have to announce it in General Conference to be considered "Church" related.

• Bob K porland, OR
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:38 a.m.

Sparks, NV
    "There are several people who were once members of the LDS Church who have been drawn into the movie industry and left their faith. Its all part of the pull of the Great and Spacious Building in Lehi's dream. The desire for fame and fortune are powerful motivators and when coupled with actual success and recognition, some do forget their roots and some even point the finger of scorn at those who have remained near the tree or are struggling up the path.

Every one of us has to keep our eye on the prophet and stay on the path toward the tree. Of what value is it to gain the whole world, and lose our soul in the process?"

Are we mind readers (to determine why Walker left the church)?
    Are we the ones to judge whether he led a good life? He had just finished a huge charity event that raised a fortune.
    Should we totally disrespect him and other people for making their choices?

Jesus taught me not to present myself as judge of those who do me no harm.

Speaking ill of the dead, especially before the funeral, does not seem Christian.

• Eagle78 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:46 p.m.

"I have never known anyone who left the Church who was ever happier no matter how much they try to convince themselves and everyone else they are. "

So when someone tells you that they left the church, and are happier having done so you just dismiss them? They must be lying to you? Or themselves?

Wow. Ignorance really is bliss I guess.

• sg newhall, CA
    Dec. 3, 2013 7:19 p.m.

My heart goes out to the Walker family. May Paul rest in peace and continue his love for his fellowman on the other side.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Dear Ranch, Scientist, et al: Wow! I had no idea I was touching so many sensitive nerves with my "inactive" comment. May I just briefly state that bitterness is so sad and leads to nothing but emptiness. Those who spend all their time using every article to attack the Church are so sad. I have never known anyone who left the Church who was ever happier no matter how much they try to convince themselves and everyone else they are.

Again, his death has really made me ponder even more how important our choices are. When we make covenants at baptism, how we choose to live is very important. We can hold to the Iron Rod or we can choose to fall away. It is a reminder in my own life.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Having lived among LDS for several decades, I can assure you when they say "active, less active, and inactive", what they really mean is "righteous, less righteous, and unrighteous".

• Spud City Idaho Bonneville, ID
    Dec. 3, 2013 4:29 p.m.

The article points out Walker grew up Mormon,but the linked article attributes Walker as saying, "I'm a Christian now." Walker no longer described himself as Mormon, and even suggested Mormons are not Christians, since "I'm Christian now" indicates he did not consider himself Christian before.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Dec. 3, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Filthy Kuffar
    Spanish Fork, UT

12:25 p.m. Dec. 3, 2013

What was it Jesus said about "judging" others?

FYI -- I'm "un-affilated".

BTW --
    The Republican Party platform bans ALL abortions.
    Rape, Incest, Life and Health of the woman, etc.

The LDS Church is pro-enviroment,
    pro-immigration reform, and
    supported Equal Housing for LGBTs -

all of which Utah Republicans [many Mormons themselves] soundly reject.
    That is not in harmony with the LDS Church.

I am.

Choose ye this day...indeed.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 2:42 p.m.

I wonder how many people are claimed by more than one faiths as members?

I suppose I still belong to the Colunbia Record Club although I don't consider myself a member.

• Aephelps14 San Luis Obispo, CA
    Dec. 3, 2013 1:15 p.m.

I would have to agree with another poster on this thread about labeling people as being "active", "less active" or "inactive". Being devoted to one's faith isn't just about how many times you attend church. We will all choose different paths according to truth we understand because we are unique individuals. I believe we need to allow people to take those paths according to their conscience without self-righteous judgment from other members of the LDS church.

• aseguin Draper, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 12:54 p.m.

Mr. Walker's death is a tragedy for him, his friends, and his family, but I take issue with his improper characterization of atheism and atheists. He suggested, (as Oprah Winfrey also did recently), that atheists somehow cannot grasp the beauty of the natural world, and that we believe that everything in existence came to be by virtue of "a mistake". This is not an accurate depiction of the atheist point of view, and it's disingenuous to suggest that it is. As an atheist, I perceive the beauty of the natural world just as profoundly as anyone, and if I may submit, even more so, in my experience. Just because he "surfs and snowboards" doesn't mean his brand of appreciation of all that is naturally beautiful is better than mine is arrogant, and, unfortunately, all too common...

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 12:33 p.m.

People leave the church all the time and don't submit a "letter of resignation". They're not Mormons even if they're still on the LDS rolls. The LDS church does NOT require new converts to submit a letter of resignation to their previous church; NONE is actually required to leave the LDS church either. It's called "freedom of association".

• Filthy Kuffar Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 12:25 p.m.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Dec. 3, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Sparks, NV
    @Church Member--Please read or view the talk at the last General Conference from Pres. Uchtdorf, Saturday Morning, last talk of that session. It answers many of the claims you have made in your comment.

11:33 p.m. Dec. 2, 2013

President Uchtdorf gets it.

Try being a left-leaning non-Republican active member in Utah.
    Going to Church on Sunday is one of my least favorite things to do.

I know how your Senator Harry Reid must feel.

My Testimony is stronger than ever,
    the "members" here tend to put political party affliation ahead of everything else.
    Nation, Religion, even Family...

Perhaps Pres. Uchtdorf gets it because he isn't a Republican, or an American, or even from Utah.

• Filthy Kuffar Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 12:02 p.m.

A Scientist:

The church didn't; the newspaper did.

• Shelama SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 12:01 p.m.

@ KellyWSmith
    @ Church member

It's not just actors and Hollywood and entertainment. One way or another, the majority of Mormons are losing or leaving their faith. Mormon researchers Matt Martinich and his colleague David Stewart over the last few years have put out estimates of church-wide activity at 29-36% in one report up to maybe 40% in another.

The issue seems not so much to be Mormons asking questions but, rather, Mormons finding answers.

It also seems fairly well established that Marlin K. Jensen pretty much acknowledged publicly that there's a crisis of apostasy in Mormonism not seen since Kirtland. With the internet and other sources, it seems unlikely to be reversed.

In some ways, it's sad. In some ways, it's too bad that it's not true.

FAIR and BYU-Neal Maxwell turn out huge amounts of Mormon apologetics but they seem to be persuasive only to people who already believe and not even to all of them. At the same time, thy also acknowledge that, from the common body of evidence regarding the Bible and the BoM and the BoA, it would be rational to conclude that they're all purely human inventions.

RIP Paul Walker.

• Vince Ballard South Ogden, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 11:22 a.m.

@ "Dennis" and "A Scientist":
    The L.D.S. Church said nothing about Paul Walker. The media produced that information. Paul Walker was, by all accounts a fine man, who was grounded and had excellent priorities. Too few of them in Hollywood. Very tragic for all concerned.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Dec. 3, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Judge me not, just because I sin differently than you.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:57 a.m.

On at least one occasion this man was reckless, putting his and potentially other peoples lives at risk. I saw an interview he gave this morning. In the interview he admitted to diving 184 mph on the freeway. This type of behavior is no different IMVHO than driving while intoxicated. People should also remember this as they reflect on his life. I am curious as to what in his upbringing caused him to think that driving at that speed on a public road was a good idea and the right thing to do.

• teeoh Anytown, KY
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Cats clearly believes there is a benefit to being an active member of the Church. The "too bad" comment was based on Cats' point of view, not Paul Walker's point of view. What's not to get?

• ZorroPC Park City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Insecure churchies are quick to grab on to anyone who has had any encounter with the church to somehow boast there own esteem. Notice they where not quick to claim the LDS affiliation of Jody Arias, Ted Bundy or Gary Bishop?

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Why is it too bad that he wasn't active? If he didn't want to be active, then it isn't too bad at all. I don't get it.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 9:44 a.m.

Unless he had been excommunicated, he was a member. Honestly, why would anybody be concerned about the fact that the DN has reported that he was raised in the Church. It is a fact of his life and is probably of interest to a lot of readers. He was apparently not active which is too bad, but those are the choices we make in life. However, it apparently was an important factor in his beliefs and his actions. it has really made me stop and think about how important our choices are because we never know when we will be called home.

• Wild Will Tehachapi, CA
    Dec. 3, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Unlike most Hollywood types and just to show the type of MAN Paul was in real life, he came into our clinic in California on the Wednesday just prior to Thanksgiving. One of our employees that had been extremely helpful with him was depressed due to her learning her husband of many years was not long for this life with liver cancer. In the past they had discussed their commonality of faith with an LDS upbringing. Paul selflessly feeling her impending loss, sent her flowers to cheer her up... We all came to love Paul and his caring humble attitude and we will miss him greatly.

• cougarsare1 Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 3, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Local media will always seek a connection to that which garners local attention. In Utah, that will be the majority religion. Quite a simple deduction. The Church, Mr Scientist, is not publicizing the death of a person who was raised LDS.

• cougarsare1 Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 3, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Church didn't claim him. Newspaper did.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:56 a.m.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:45 a.m.

My children tell me he was a wonderful actor and human being.
    Our sympathies to his family and friends.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:42 a.m.

So was he an ex-Mormon or an inactive Mormon? The article is not clear on this.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Why does everything have to have a mormon connection?

• teeoh Anytown, KY
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:05 a.m.

@ Dennis,

It isn't confusing at all. A writer (Abby Stevens) for the Deseret News wrote an article in which she commented that Paul Walker grew up as a member of the Church. Just a simple factual statement. The Church laid no claims here.

• Church member North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 7:26 a.m.

To: KellyWSmith

Just read it. It talks about nothing I put in my post.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 7:15 a.m.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 3, 2013 5:39 a.m.

Why would the Church lay claim to someone that doesn't have anything to do with them?
    Very confusing to me.

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    Dec. 3, 2013 4:15 a.m.

Have been out of the news loop for awhile and didn't know about Paul's death until seeing this article.

Was sad to hear about it, and glad to read of his thoughts on God and his love for his daughter.

May his family be comforted and may he find peace and learning where he is now.

• wjgramma West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 3:33 a.m.

He said it himself --- "Acting is my job, not my life ..."

One never knows the reason someone else does or says something. It sounds to me like he had his head on straight and trying to be a good dad. Whether or not he was going to church was his choice, and life is all about free agency.

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    Dec. 2, 2013 11:33 p.m.

• the old switcharoo mesa, AZ
    Dec. 2, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Can we stop using the terms "active" and "inactive"?

What other religion has to say they are an inactive or active Catholic or Buddhist? Are we only about showing up or what? I think we're not supposed to be.

• Church member North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 10:14 p.m.

I don't think you have to be in the entertainment industry to leave the church. People are leaving the church all around the world everyday. They are leaving because they read facts about the church that causes them to question, and ultimately leave the church. It is a big problem for the church right now. That is why they have so many talks on re-activating people during conference lately.

RIP Paul. You will be missed.

• Sunny Bear greenacres, FL
    Dec. 2, 2013 10:11 p.m.

"whom am I to judge another if I walk imperfectly?", I love that hym, because it reminds me that in or out of the church, we are all humans and make mistakes. I tell you what, if I was Paul walkers friend, and I knew he was a member, and he did not go for X amount of reasons, to church, where he was raised, my only hope, is that through my example, he would feel the love and motivation to come back, because my example would speak for it's self. AND I would love him unconditionally, like i do alot of my friends who are less active. Love is the key, example is the door, and consistency is the pathway no matter where they go. May heavenly father comfort beyond words the Walker Family and regardless of which path Paul took, I know heavenly father knows his heart, his desires, and we will be surprised and over joyed where we will see him again =)

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    Dec. 2, 2013 9:55 p.m.

@dasha--I hope you weren't considering my points as being judgmental of Paul Walker. I was making a comment in reference to AZKID's comment and drawing upon a very personal experience of one I know who has gotten into the entertainment industry and fallen away from the church. I have no more knowledge about Mr. Walker's path than what was presented here in this article and I am not judging him.

@sky2k1--You might want to look up that reference again.

I wish condolences for Mr. Walker's family as this must be a trying time for all of them. Christ is the only judge and we should place our hopes in him no matter what our (or others) current standing is in the church.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 9:43 p.m.

Weirdest comments I have read in awhile.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 9:16 p.m.

I'm definitely being judgmental here, so i suppose that makes me a hypocrite, but quit being so judgmental towards others who choose different paths. The man just died, his family is going through pain, let's not turn this into your own soapbox. I do think mosiah 18:9 did say something to the effect of "criticize those whose son's have chosen a different path. Cause those that mourn more pain by judging them for not being good parents in thine eyes", but I could be wrong.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 8:51 p.m.

Thank you for that comment.

• dasha! Provo, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Really, people...unless you know things for a fact, stop making assumptions, about a group of people or even one person. Not everyone who was but is no longer LDS and also happens to be in the entertainment business left the Church after or because of their chosen profession. Statistics would say many of them left before they got into the business. And there are plenty in the business who are still in the Church. So the one thing does not necessarily cause the other. Good grief. And condolences to Walker's family...who I'm sure loved him unconditionally.

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    Dec. 2, 2013 7:54 p.m.

There are several people who were once members of the LDS Church who have been drawn into the movie industry and left their faith. Its all part of the pull of the Great and Spacious Building in Lehi's dream. The desire for fame and fortune are powerful motivators and when coupled with actual success and recognition, some do forget their roots and some even point the finger of scorn at those who have remained near the tree or are struggling up the path. I have a very close relative who is doing the same thing as you have seen them (I will not reveal age or sex) on your TV screen and it is sad for me to watch. They were once raised in good homes and have now been lured away by the world because of its enticements, and now their families are even encouraging it because of the success it brings.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 6:15 p.m.

I don't think they are celebrating him because he was a father, a good person, or someone who liked nature either, but they are all a part of who he is.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Dec. 2, 2013 5:37 p.m.

Sad to hear this. Hollywood needs good people like him. RIP, Paul.

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Condolences to the Walker family.

Regarding Paul Walker being raised Mormon: Is it just me or am I am seeing a trend among people in the entertainment industry who used to be Latter-day Saints but are no longer practicing. I suppose this happens in every walk of life, but I am tempted to say, "Mamas, don't let you babies grow up to be actors/actresses".

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    Dec. 2, 2013 3:58 p.m.

Sad how even a nice piece reporting the death of a fine actor and a moral man will draw jabs.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 2:37 p.m.

I don't think the people gathering at the roadside in California are celebrating a mormon. I don't believe they're celebrating a good series of movies, either, but that's certainly up to them, I guess.