Faith

Defending the Faith: Thanksgiving is for reflection, not just eating

Comments

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Empirical evidence is not everything, and only human pride and foolishness leads some to believe that it is so. Revelation is more powerful than anything that comes out of a computer report or a test tube. "Reason" is worthless as the irrational behavior of so many irreligious people proves regularly.

I wish those who leave the Church would just admit that they do so because of some sinful behavior for which they are not willing to repent, or because of some offense they pridefully refuse to forgive. Be honest with yourself, and with others, and maybe, MAYBE, at some point you'll find your way back to some semblance of truth.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Atheists celebrating Thanksgiving is deeply ironic. If there is no God, there is literally no one to be giving thanks to, at least not in the spirit of the holiday's original intent. It's even more nonsensical than an atheist celebrating Christmas.

Denial of God and exaltation of self is not conducive to a feeling of gratitude. Nor is it conducive to true happiness, only to denial and massive, immature hubris. Religions only cause guilt and shame to those that don't understand the nature of repentance or the Atonement…which sadly is the case with a lot of people who are raised in the Church, and many other churches, and who only ever understand the religion through their culture instead of through honest and sincere prayer and study.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Dec. 2, 2013 4:58 p.m.

bj-hp

Yes. It is pure knowledge... that comes from your own opinion. It can't be verified, tested, or anything else. So yes, it is in your head. And BTW... since I left the church I have been quite happy. Truly happy.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 4:00 a.m.

bjhp,

No, it is not "knowledge". Everyone knows only the Scientologists have the true and pure knowledge!

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Nov. 30, 2013 8:56 p.m.

DocHoliday: It is not an opinion but pure knowledge to know that everything comes from our Heavenly Father. Everything we get in this life is from him and no one else. We learn from him as he is our creator as well as our Father. Just as Jesus is our Master, our elder brother, we are saved by his grace but judged according to our Heavenly Father. Until you and those like you, you shall never know true happiness.

• Aunt Sue SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 11:01 p.m.

I am so grateful that even non religious people can have an atitude of gratitude, since grateful people are usually happier people. I would hope that we all could be happy people. But I do wonder, who or what do you thank if you do not believe in God?

• DocHolliday reno, NV
    Nov. 29, 2013 2:04 p.m.

bj-hp

Your comments of how everything we have is from god as if it is fact is misleading. It is your personal opinion, and isn't fact. Please don't present it as such.

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Nov. 29, 2013 12:31 p.m.

You know when people fail to look that everything they have is of the Lord. Nothing is our own, it is given to us from the almighty himself. That is why it is a day of reflection on the blessings we have been given. Our families and friends, our homes, our jobs and everything we have. Those who feel otherwise live in a world of ingratitude to what we have. Yes, it is great to be with family but nothing, nothing compares to giving thanks to our God for what we have. That is why as many have said, everything speaks of the creation from a just and merciful Heavenly Father. Many don't realize that until they are about to leave this life and go to the world beyond.

• rw123 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 9:38 a.m.

When I am feeling the spirit of Thanksgiving and appreciating my blessing from Him above, I am humbled. I am free from the veneer and guilt mentioned in a post above. I am grateful but retrospective of the many blessing I have which have been given from God. Along with food, clothing, shelter, health, friends, the beauty that surrounds us, family, His love, and air to breath, I also thank him for other things, including His pure doctrine, Priesthood authority, modern-day revelation, saving ordinances, fellowship with other church members, and all other blessings which exist in His Church. These things make my life and perspective easier, more harmonious, joyful, and peaceful. Indeed, I am blessed.

We should every day be thankful for our blessings. A wise person once said, *An unhappy heart is and ungrateful heart."

• sharrona layton, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 7:50 a.m.

RE; "Thanksgiving” The term "Eucharist=(Greek)) is that by which the rite is referred by the Didache (*late 1st or early 2nd century), Ignatius of Antioch and Justin Martyr, "the Eucharist" is the name still used by Eastern Orthodox,, Catholics, Anglicans, Reformed/Presbyterians, United Methodists, and Lutherans. Other Protestant denominations rarely use this term, preferring either "Communion", "the Lord's Supper", or "the Breaking of Bread". The Lord's Supper as witnessed by 1 Cor 11:20-21):

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had ‘Given Thanks’, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me". (1 Corinthians 11:23-24).

Sacrament= ( Latin) from the Greek mysterion (mystery) in Eph 5:32 & many other places. Many Christian Churches call them "the 7 mysteries" instead of "the 7 sacraments." In all of the 7 mysteries, the paschal (Jesus)mystery is made really present.

*No need for restoration ,Christians churches still practice.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    Nov. 28, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Mr Peterson, along with most of us, probably can do both without diminishing either, Dennis.

• ijw Holladay, UT
    Nov. 28, 2013 2:36 p.m.

We live in a great country where we can pretty much celebrate Thanksgiving as we wish. I truly wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving in the ways you enjoy with or without religion. For me the older I get the more I too wish to reflect on the things stated in this article. And if we are to "live in thanksgiving daily" (Alma 34:38) we may choose to spend a little time doing this each day. That is a personal choice of course and that in itself is a blessing.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 28, 2013 12:45 p.m.

Thanksgiving IS a time for reflecting...and right now, I'm reflecting on how the Green Bay Packers fell so far that they're getting pummeled by the Detroit Lions.

• Verdad Orem, UT
    Nov. 28, 2013 11:14 a.m.

If Professor Peterson called for Thanksgiving to be spent fasting in grim isolation, Dennis, I must have missed it.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 28, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Introspection, gratitude, inner peace, all of these things and more are available to us all, without the veneer or guilt of religion.

• twelvestringsam Orem, UT
    Nov. 28, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Thanksgiving has become a tradition in many homes where families gather together and give thanks for blessings bestowed by the Almighty.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 28, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Many people who don't believe in man-made religions are just as thankful at religious folk.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Nov. 28, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Mr. Peterson....you have a lovely time contemplating, I'll have an excellent dinner and wonderful time with friends and family.