BYU basketball: Eric Mika expected to play when BYU faces Texas Monday night

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 25, 2013 5:39 p.m.

If Kane was going for the ball, his hands should have stayed in front. There is no reason the hands should have gone through the face of Mika.

Re: utahcountyute
    I, too, think Mike bears a resemblance to Dolph Lundgren. New nickname? Should we call him "Dolph" from here on out! :)

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 25, 2013 2:47 p.m.

"I feel Kane was anticipating Mika bringing the ball up to his face height or higher"

Kane was looking straight into Mika's eyes as he thrust both hands with fingers extended straight into Mika's face. It's impossible to determined Kane's mindset, but it's not unreasonable to think that Kane was simply retaliating for Mika's minor elbow contact (if any) not being ruled a flagrant foul only a couple minutes earlier.

• DTanner Memphis, TN
    Nov. 25, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Ephraim, UT

After watching the play numerous times, I think you are being generous!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 25, 2013 2:08 p.m.

"I feel Kane was anticipating Mika bringing the ball up to his face height or higher, .... "

Then why didn't Kane come out and make a public statement about this, and explain exactly why he did what he did? You won't convince me that Kane was anticipating Mika bringing up the ball. This was thuggery at its finest.

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 12:50 p.m.

As an avid BYU fan, I feel that Kane received the appropriate punishment
    for his foul to Eric Mika's face. I feel Kane was anticipating Mika bringing the ball up to his face height or higher, something that Mika did not do. No need to suspend him above what was called in the game.

Nov. 25, 2013 12:18 p.m.

utahcountyute: "Is it just me or does Mika look like Ivan Drago right after a Rocky head shot?"

I thought the exact same thing! Only seen a few minutes of them, but from what I've seen, what he lacks in height and length at his position he makes up for in hustle and athleticism. He'll be a handful for the Utes' bigs in a few weeks, along with Collinsworth.

And BYU fans are crying about what refs "should" do to other teams' players. What else is new?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 11:45 a.m.

Is it just me or does Mika look like Ivan Drago right after a Rocky head shot?

He will be a beast of a player. Too bad all of byU alpine won't play together over the next few years. Oh well.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:50 a.m.

This is a young team. They have a considerable upside potential.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:29 a.m.

Amen to what BYUForeve and others said in rebuttal to a lame comment from Louisana.

BYU may play to get to the foul line but once there they waste the opportunity. Every close game is decided by missed or made free throws and this year BYU is failing miserably at the line. Please correct it today! 60% in their last game sounds like a D- or F effort.

• Goldminer Salem, ut
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Louisiana Cougar:

Get over to Ft. Polk and see more dump trucks! :):)

The punk that clawed Mika should be banned from any more college games and that his school has done nothing to him says a lot!

• babyR Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:37 a.m.

What about that flagrant 2 foul?? Not only should Kane have been thrown out of the game, but also tossed for the season. I've never seen a more deliberate, calculated foul!!! BYU was on a sure track to win with Mika in the game. But, alas, it is only a game, right???

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Glad to hear Eric Mika going to play and hope he continues to do well. He can play the floor well but I would not complained if he missed some free throws. His left eye might still be hurting or blury which I don't know much about his condition. Wish him well and the rest of the team.

Go Cougars!

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Any chance that Manny Diaz will coach the 'horns in this game?

• General Alpine, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 7:59 a.m.

BYU would have won against Iowa State if they had a decent free throw percentage. Lets hope they can get that aspect of their games up.

• BYUForever Provo, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Um excuse me @Louisiana Cougar?!

You think it's funny that Eric Mika got clawed in the eye, suffered an eye abrasion, and was on the ground, understandably in excruciating pain?
    Seems like your opinion of what's funny, and mine are two completely different things. It's not humorous in the slightest.

Anyways, so glad he's predicted to play this week. Big games. We need him. Go cougars.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 24, 2013 8:35 p.m.

I grew up in Indiana where basketball is king. I have followed college basketball closely all my life. I have never seen a dirtier play than the deliberate attack on Mika. If you can't win fairly, then resort to cheating. At least the officials did the right thing by booting the thug out of the game. Unfortunately, the school and the conference have not taken the action that they should have done. I feel ashamed for the Big-12.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 24, 2013 7:19 p.m.

The picture of Mika on the floor is still devastating - he is very lucky with no permanent damage to the left eye. Very glad he will play tomorrow night. Go Cougars!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Nov. 24, 2013 6:55 p.m.

The picture of Mika on the floor, looking beat up, cracks me up! He looks like he just got mugged or hit by a garbage truck.

Looking forward to see how he competes against a tough Texas team. The next two games should reveal a lot about the Cougars, their toughness, and their character!

I am really looking forward to the games this week!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Nov. 24, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Great news. I think BYU showed this last week that we can play with the big boys, but that we're also a team searching for an identity. That identity looks more and more like it will center around Mika. If we can win one big non-conference game this week it could mean a lot come selection time. My prediction is BYU wins 23 this season and gets in as an #11 seed bubble team. Go Cougs!