Utah woman claims flu shot caused teenage son's death

• Captain Green Heber City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 2:10 p.m.

My Father was a Physician, both my Sons are Physician/Surgeons... and I have never had, nor will I ever have, a flu shot! It's one of the most insane actions ever conceived. I can't believe doctors still recommend this archaic practice. Sad for the family of this innocent young man.

• Gail Fitches Layton, UT
    Nov. 28, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Medical Student - The vaccinations they are forcing you take just may end your career or life, and you do have choice. If you really do the research, you can prove your case that vaccinations are neither effective or safe. I know so many medical people who are getting so sick and becoming disabled from the vaccinations. The Pertussis Vaccination is another dangerous one. That one almost killed me at a year old. I had a high fever, flipped into convulsions and turned blue. My Mother was smart enough to get me into a cool tub. She took me everyday to the clinic where they kept telling her they did not know what caused it, but from my medical records, when I got another vaccination years later, they left out the pertussis, and I received a DT Vaccine. I know what toxic ingredients are in the vaccinations, what the viruses and bacterias are grown in, and the contamination problems Please learn about your rights, because I am afraid for our healthcare workers. Also, there are nurses fighting back about the flu vaccination. Do a search for Powerful Profile of a Flu Vaccine Victim.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Immunizations do not cause autism. There was one study put out several years ago and it has been proven wrong many times. The MD who put this one study out is now in prison for lying and creating false results in his research. He has caused a lot of damage Many still believe in his results and choose not to have their kids immunized. We are now seeing a surge in whooping cough and other childhood diseases that kill. I am not sure why so many believe one study and not the hundreds that disprove it?

If you want to see how deadly the flu is walk through the ICU's starting in November, they are full of the flu and sick, sick people. It is still here, and it still kills.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Nov. 26, 2013 7:16 a.m.

This is so tragic. But facts show that shots result in deaths and also show that they save lives. Lori's channeling of her energies toward others will not bring her son back and will only cause a dampening of her spirit. Does she think that God was not involved and aware as her son suffered? I am grateful that God is in charge of His plan for me, whatever it is,and I would not think to criticize the consequences of God's plan. I lost 4 siblings while young and recently lost my father prematurely. But God is great and knows exactly what each of us needs to become what He wants us to become. I'll do my best with my choices and leave the consequences and judgment to Him. But we all feel great sorrow for Lori's loss. But Heaven has gained a great young man. What a reunion it will one day be for mother and son!

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Nov. 26, 2013 7:10 a.m.

All you that think you are fine by not getting vaccinations are currently riding on the coatails of those of us that do, as a disease is kept out of the community by high vaccination rates
    A few cases of polio again and the paralysis that comes will get people back to vaccinating.
    you may think polio is gone but active outbreaks are currently in Afghanistan and Syria as we speak

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 1:04 p.m.

You all are missing the point:

A perfectly healthy prospective missionary gets a flu shot and is sick within 24 hours and dead days later.

If any of you, even you ardent supporters of vaccines and flu shots, had this happen to your child you'd be doing the exact same thing as his mother.

Back off…

Peace, prayers and best wishes to that dear family.

• gtaylor923 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 11:58 a.m.

What did the autopsy report indicate was the probable cause?
    Broadcasting a warning based on emotional reaction may cause more unnecessary deaths.
    Everyone should be checked for allergies and reactions before getting any vaccination.
    What is the science behind this tragic death?

Can we learn from the science and avoid future tragedies, but refrain from panic warnings.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 11:06 a.m.

I think some of you are equating "the flu" with influenza. Those of you who got "the flu" after your flu shot I doubt had influenza. I doubt most of you actually had or know anyone who has had influenza. It is no joke. You're free to do what you want, but please get your terminology correct. Like I said above, I've seen my wife critically sick from influenza, in the hospital for a week and over a month of recovery at home. It wasn't "the flu" as most of you are confusing the two. Influenza can be deadly. Just ask any of the 500 million people who were infected with influenza in 1918 - many millions of whom died.

• midvale guy MIDVALE, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:24 a.m.

I will not take vaccines. The truth is you have no idea what's in them and they are administered by a government that I do not trust. I believe the flu is a terrible thing and can kill as well, but I think the risks are lower if I get the flu than If I take the shot. The days of just trusting these types of injections is over for me. This gentleman's death may be a result of something completely different but without an autopsy no one will ever know. I'm sorry this happens to anyone.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:35 a.m.

Can't help but wonder if Chandler developed Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM) which is a rarity and not a disease. The flu shot would of excelarated it. It took a neurologist 5 days to diagnosis my daughter, and somebody out of the area with experience. She was in a coma, and the hospital doc had talked about taking her off of life support in a few weeks because they could'nt find anything wrong with her. CPM is widely missed in the hospitals. People slip into a coma and never come out.
    As far as the flu shot. Hav'nt had one since 97' my last year in the Navy, and no flu since then. In the Navy always had the flu right after the shot. Always thought of it as a scam to get you right back in the doc office. Excercise seems to help me keep healthy.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 7:40 a.m.

If any of you had ever seen your spouse or child suffer with full-blown influenza, you'd be first in line for a flu shot. I watched my wife in St. Mark's Hospital will influenza two years ago. The influenza was horrible, but the resulting blood infection and pneumonia was worse. Both were caused by the initial onset of influenza. We're big believers of flu shots now.

I had flu shots every year while in the military, and have gotten them ever year since I retired. I have never had the flu, never had much of a reaction from the shot, and that experience of influenza in my house made me a believer.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 24, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Deepest condolences to the Webb family.

My family, too, has experienced sudden, unexplainable death of loved ones. Especially hard when they are young and have so many possibilities before them.

Perhaps it was as Lori Webb believes, a severe, unusual response to a flu vaccine. Maybe a response that could've happened as a result of the flu itself.
    The truth is, however, many more die from the flu every year than have ever died from a vaccine.
    So it would be foolish for people to forgo getting themselves or their children vaccinated. Life expectancy and quality has increased dramatically over the past 100+ yrs due, in part, to vaccinations.

• FREDISDEAD West Point, ny
    Nov. 24, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Sad that he is dead. Sounds like he had a reaction from something.
    Facts are he is more likely to die from hundreds of causes than getting a flu shot.
    Flu shot saves THOUSANDS of lives each year.

• gtaylor923 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 7:32 p.m.

What does the autopsy report say was the probable cause of death?
    Seems like we are jumping to emotional conclusions without some science data.
    This is a tragedy, but thousands dying as a reslt of not getting the flu vaccine is far worse. Jumping to conclusions and then broadcasting a warning may cause many to skip the fle shot, Could we get some real scientific evidence of the actual cause of death?

My condolences for your loss.

• djk blue springs, MO
    Nov. 24, 2013 5:54 p.m.

why are there so many negative about the flu shot. no one has forced anyone to get the flu shot. my husband has a choice at work to either get the flu shot or spend 6 months wearing a mask. he makes the choice of what to do. when the person is handed a paper to sign there are warnings about reactions. more people die from car accidents. please if you don't want a flu shot then don't. if you don't want to step out your front door every day then don't. i have had the flu more times then i can count and prefer the flu shot. remember there are many whom don't believe in protecting their children with immunizations. they are risking their children's lives also. make your own decisions and stick with them but don't blame the flu shot for so many deaths. i am sorry this happened to the young man.

• Red San Antonia, TX
    Nov. 24, 2013 5:06 p.m.

I've never had a flue shot and I've never had the flu. I'm almost 50.

This Flu shot scam is just a money maker. Stop participating.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Nov. 24, 2013 3:28 p.m.

It's terrible for his Mom,but wait for facts to come in. Which disease which has been eradicated thru vaccines would you like to return? Polio,Measles,whooping cough,etc,etc. bad stuf happens sometimes and it is heartbreaking. Listen to "geniuses" like Jenny McCarthy if you want, or think about how a flu epidemic could be without vaccines. Didn't the Spanish Flu kill about 35 million in 1918. Pray for Mom to be comforted

• dimelo PEYTON, CO
    Nov. 24, 2013 3:17 p.m.

We have eleven children, all have never been vaccinated, and we have avoided many of the problems plaguing those who do pump their children full of foreign materials (vaccines). I have read enough from unbiased medical sources to make an informed decision to stay away from vaccination.

Yes, the mainstream medical community endorses vaccinations, but, then again, they also recommended using margarine for half a century to prevent heart disease and stroke, and now they have discovered they were completely wrong; they just recently reversed course and are now saying that the trans fats they recommended were actually much worse than animal fats they were replacing. In fact, the FDA is now trying to ban hydrogenated oil altogether, the body of evidence is so thorough against their use. It comes down to which doctor do you believe, as the bulk of them can be misguided as the history of medicine makes clear, and often the dissenters are the ones who were right.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 3:10 p.m.

"She elected not to have an autopsy conducted."

Was she squeamish about all of forensic science glamour that's in your face each night on tv and could not handle that image for her departed son.

Don't get me wrong I'm very sorry for this family's loss. My heart aches for life lost at such a young time but I find the decision to not allow an autopsy into this young man's death somewhat confusing.

I've assisted in several autopsies in years past. I do not find the process offensive, the utmost respect is given to the family and to the body during the procedure and it's purpose it to find answers.

Why wouldn't anyone want to know the reason for death and to maybe further medical understanding. Seems just a little strange to refuse this but I respect the decision.

But in my honest opinion by burying her son, without allowing the autopsy, this does not give her a strong case to lambast vaccinations as a whole.

Seems a little self-serving to have made this decision and then to go public.

• renatastar Pittsburgh, PA
    Nov. 24, 2013 2:58 p.m.

First, I'm very sorry for your loss. Your son was a beautiful person and only the Lord knows why this happened. I feel sad you didn't allow an autopsy. It could have answered so many questions. But, respectfully, you are wrong about the flu vaccine. I have seen young people dying from it. Vaccines can cause severe side effects in a few people, but they save billions of lives every day.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 2:28 p.m.

My friend's wife was 8 months pregnant when she got the flu. Both she and the baby died within 5 days of getting ill.
    I'm sorry to hear about her son but many more people die from the flu than from those who have a poor reaction to the vaccine.

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 1:57 p.m.

My heart is breaking for them and the loss of their dear son. No matter what we believe about the next life, the pain of missing our loved ones can be excruciating. I am so sorry this happened.

• nomad3 FARMINGTON, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 1:32 p.m.

This young man and his family at minimum desereve to have a criminal investigation completed by a competent independent legal entity - possibly the FBI.

• Harley Rider Small Town, CT
    Nov. 24, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Get your flu shot - get your flu shot - and guess what - that shot has very little actual anti flu antibodies in it. It does however have an evil brew of perservatives.There's really no debate about whether or not mercury is a neurotoxin5. It's a well-established fact that it is. It's also well understood that mercury is particularly damaging to young, developing brains, and this is one of the core concerns about vaccines. If it's unsafe to breathe or ingest mercury6, why would it suddenly become harmless when injected directly into your body, bypassing all of your body's natural detoxification pathways. Pregnant Women & the young should avoid all flue shots period.

Sadly this Mother is spot on in what caused her son's passing , and our Government Agencies are bought and paid for by the Pharmaceutical Conglomerates.
    Load up on Vit.D, Learn about Colloidal Silver, Avoid Sugar , Load up on Veggies , Don't run the risk of having poison injected into your system. Guillain-Barre Syndrome is but another

• Abbygirl East Carbon, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 11:28 a.m.

If people only knew what they put into flu shots they would never take one. I learned about that in a health food store.. I was horrified and vowed to never have a flu shot and I haven't! If anything flu shots weaken the system! I feel very sad for this mother and family, a vibrant young life snuffed out because we trust those who say the flu shot is a good thing.. or for that matter the shots given to our infants and now autism is rampant!

• Life With Anthony Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 11:21 a.m.

I didn't fully elaborate previously because of the 200-word limit. I don't have a problem with saying thimerosal doesn't cause autism; the numbers of new cases of autism hasn't gone down after removing it from vaccines. I also did not say unequivocally that vaccines in general do cause autism; I said I feel they likely trigger something already there. There is a huge difference between the two. To say I'm proving causation because I feel something is ridiculous. It is also equally ridiculous to say that because science hasn't found a link, that it doesn't exist. What we do know is that a vaccination is an unnatural thing for the body. We as a society are trying to do the best we can with what we know, and vaccinations have done a lot of good. But there are also enough cases of things going awry--and in some cases, seriously so--after receiving vaccinations that to make a blanket statement about them not being at fault is irrational. Feel free to visit "Life With Anthony: Experiences With an Autistic Child"; you will find no mention whatsoever of vaccines there.

• Tami M Houston, TX
    Nov. 24, 2013 6:32 a.m.

National Vaccine Information Center
    Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System

Two resources for those who want more information on vaccine reactions and the government program for taxing each vaccine given to create a trust-fund to pay families for vaccine injuries/deaths.

• Burnham Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 24, 2013 4:30 a.m.

A few years back I got the flu vaccine and was ill for 8 years with chronic fatigue syndrome. I too got sick afterwards. I am much better now but that was the only thing different in my life so I avoid the flu vaccine like the plague now. Don't want to take the chance of getting sick again. I will take my chances with the flu first.

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    Nov. 24, 2013 1:05 a.m.

Obviously this young man in the prime of life, who gets deathly ill within days of receiving the flu vaccine had some type of reaction to the vaccine which put him in a coma. What other disease has such a rapid onset and puts people in comas? They ruled out meningitis. Very, very, very odd timing if it wasn't the vaccine.

Something to consider is that this age has the strongest immune system responses, and that is the reason so many young people die during epidemics - their immune system is so powerful it overreacts to the virus or bacteria and the young person is overwhelmed by the inflammation and mucus - the immune system has a super-reaction. It's called a Cytokine Storm: Google it.

• AlwaysAuthentic Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 12:29 a.m.

Life with Anthony,
    You say, "My personal feeling, based on experience and what I have seen in other cases, is that vaccines probably trigger something already there." Feelings and experience have their place. I don't know of the difficulties of raising a child with autism. However, I do know that feelings and experience can't give us all the answers. They can't prove causation. We have to look to science for help. The science does not support your statement. Vaccinations don't cause or trigger autism.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 12:20 a.m.

I am unable to get a flu shot. I am not allergy to eggs but I have a disease that causes me more problems than if I were to get the flu. Last year I got the flu. I talked to over with my doctor again about getting one this year and he told recommended me not to have one. I feel that one should talk to their Doctor's about their concerns and their health issues. I pray that the Lord will bless this family with his love and peace.

• wilson-kelly Vale, OR
    Nov. 24, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Okay… I want to know.
    Last year, How many people died from the flu and where did they die?
    This is thrown around with great enthusiasm.
    I want to see the study, where is it?
    Thank you.

• Viva la Migra American Fork, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 11:30 p.m.

I've never had a flu shot, and never had the flu. At this point my doctor says to stay the course.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Nov. 23, 2013 9:35 p.m.

I feel so sad for this mom. I have a son who has egg allergies, and others, and his problems became much worse after having the MMR vaccine, which a doctor who treated him as a baby said he should never receive. He would not have had the MMR, but it was a requirement for an extended stay out of the country and he went ahead with it. He has had all kinds of tests and treatments in an effort to improve his health, and we are grateful he is functional, well-employed and able to carry on. However, he often struggles to keep up with his responsibilities. I think we need to know a lot more about vaccines and who should be advised to skip them.

higv, there are many people who DO have reactions to milk. That doesn't mean we should outlaw milk production, but it does mean children who don't do well with milk shouldn't be hassled about it at school! I know that happens too.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 23, 2013 8:03 p.m.

Gail Fitches- do you know the scientific breakdown of everything you ingest- all the food you eat, even what's in the air you breathe? I can assure you without a doubt you have consumed lots of carcinogenic stuff without even knowing, thinking or worrying about it. But you will risk your life to flu because of a microscopic amount of something in a flu shot?

Everyone is going to have a take on this due to their personal experience. I recently got a flu shot. I took ibuprofen before and afterward for a day or two. I had a little bit of achiness and that's it. I've had probably 20 or more flu shots in my life and I'm still alive. Everyone in my family has had them including my children and husband who are still alive. Every so often someone has a mild flu-like reaction. That is your body building up it's immunity. But no one has had anywhere near these violent reactions I hear about. My kids have gotten the actual flu one time in the 26 years I've been a parent.

• ipr Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:56 p.m.

I totally support Desert Hiker and Medical Student. I've gone through chemo a couple of times. I wonder, if I as an immuno-suppressed person gets a contagious disease from someone who chose not to be vaccinated, can I sue? It seems to me that the people on this board who are against vaccination think only of their own or their child's well-being. What about the well-being of others who are exposed to serious diseases by people who choose not to listen to science?

• Medical Student Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 23, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Gail Fitches,

Why do you suppose the medical community is trying to cover up the dangers of vaccines?

As medical student, my classmates and I have to stay up to date on all of the standard vaccinations- including the yearly flu shot- before we are allowed to even set foot in a hospital or clinic during our clinical rotations. Hospitals are simply unwilling to take on the legal or financial liability of allowing their students and employees to risk passing on something like the flu or pertussis to their patients. The money they could lose in lawsuits is too much for them to risk.

If the medical community were attempting some kind of cover up, why would that same medical community take on the legal and financial liability of forcing those who work there to take these 'dangerous vaccines?'

• Gail Fitches Layton, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 5:23 p.m.

Deserthiker - I have seen many physicians recommend the flu shot, until they read the vaccine insert. I suggest you do the same. Do a little research on the ingredients, what the virus or bacteria is grown in, and all the possible side effects.

• Gail Fitches Layton, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 5:19 p.m.

My heart just aches on the ignorance of people. These side effects are listed on the vaccine inserts. I have a challenge for those who defend flu vaccinations. Do research on the ingredients in vaccinations, and look up the side effects of those ingredients. Then, do a search on what the viruses and bacterias are grown in, and how the FDA lists vaccines as biological blood vaccines. Most people do not even know that vaccinations are biological blood products. Also, please do a search regarding the H1N1 virus in grown in the African Green Monkey. That is only one part of the 4 virus vaccine. Do some research, instead of criticizing this Mother, when she knows what this vaccination did to her healthy son. Those of you criticizing should do some research, because it may someday save your life. There are 4 or 5 different vaccine manufacturers making the flu shot this year. People do not even take time to find out which manufacturer made the shots they are getting, and do some research on that pharmaceutical company. They may have a history on fungus and other contaminants in their products.

• Gail Fitches Layton, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 4:40 p.m.

This angers me, because here is more coverup on flu shots killing people. I have only had 1 flu shot in my life, and I thought I would die. How horrifying that the medical community keeps trying to cover this up. Every parent who comes forward that their child has died from the flu shot, they continue to cover it up. Do a search in section 13.1 for the term carcinogenesis, literally cancer creation, on the product insert for any vaccine. You will see the following common phrase regarding most vaccines, "This vaccine has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic (Cancer Creation) or mutagenic (Mutate our DNA to cause autoimmune diseases and cancer) potentials or impairment of fertility. The vaccine inserts has a very long list of possible side effects, and when they happen, the medical personnel deny it.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 3:19 p.m.

Im so incredibly sorry for the loss of this family, he was a beautiful young man. I understand not all people are but I am a big believer in vaccinations, but respect those that are not, however I am perplexed that she would choose to not have an autopsy preformed. Regardless of what my gut told me I would want definitive closure.

I hope you find peace during this incredibly difficult time.

• Medical Student Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 23, 2013 2:39 p.m.

The fact that Deserthiker and your nephew are physicians does make them experts on vaccines. The science behind how they work is very, very well established. I have never seen any well-designed studies that link vaccines to autism or that demonstrate that they are unsafe. Only anecdotes and personal experiences. You mentioned that you have a law degree. How would you feel I were to tell you that I know more about a certain aspect of the law than you?

I have received the flu vaccines the last three years in a row, and have yet to have even a mild reaction.

So many are so quick to say that physicians are being paid off by 'big pharma' or some other ambiguous demon. Physicians have families too. They aren't going to subject their children to something dangerous just to line their pockets.

• drumboy12 New York, NY
    Nov. 23, 2013 1:24 p.m.

One only needs to look to the flu of 1918 to realize just how deadly a particular strain of flu can be. I wish more people understood true cause-and-effect relationships rather than making foolish decisions based on emotional anecdotes.

• SunnyBrook folsom, CA
    Nov. 23, 2013 12:41 p.m.

My heart aches deeply for this family. What a beautiful young man. What a gut-wrenching loss. I lost my wonderful son at age 23 in 2009, and I know there are no words of comfort that can be given. It just hurts so bad. I also became very ill after a flu shot in October. Never had one before and never had the flu. I wasn't feeling convinced it was a good idea, but I did it. The 6 weeks since have been the sickest I've been in several decades. We can't "know" if the flu shot had anything to do with these experiences, but it is certainly very suspicious. However true it may be that flu shots save more lives than they destroy, that is no comfort for this family. God bless you.

• manuretruck St. George, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 12:18 p.m.

So instead of truly wanting to find out what killed her son, she instead rejects an autopsy and decides to just "go with her gut" that it was the flu vaccine? If other tests came up negative for every disease, then doesn't that also mean that the tests came up negative for the flu?

This woman is clearly in the stage of grief where she can't think rationally or make rational decisions.

It's entirely possible he picked up a serious flu infection before his body was able to fully assimilate the vaccine and adapt to it. Nobody has ever been able to prove a scientific cause-and-effect relationship between getting the flu vaccine and getting so violently sick that you go into a coma and eventually die.

It was very irresponsible of her to broadcast a "warning" about vaccines in a public paper that everyone reads. People who don't get flu vaccinations are a serious danger to others, especially children.

• pumpkin Huntington, Utah
    Nov. 23, 2013 12:16 p.m.

quillain-barre syndrome, check it out. flu shots can be deadly.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 12:07 p.m.

As I former medic in the army, I can tell you that getting a flu shot does give a person a mild case of the flu. Depending on the person or their present health condition this can be more severe. The advice we gave to soldiers who had been adversely affected by the flu shot in times past is to take 1 aspirin about 1/2 hour before the shot. Soldiers who did this didn't suffer the ill effects they normally had suffered in the past.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 23, 2013 11:57 a.m.

@deserthiker, I understand the position from which you come. Yes, most vaccines save lives. Yes, the medical profession is right about so many things and I am grateful to be living in a modern-day age with such medical knowledge. However, as with anything--and perhaps even more so--that has to do with human beings, the medical profession is not always correct. Certainly not the politically laced FDA and CDC. There is enough conflicting research, not "rumor, speculation, and fear," on the flu vaccine to warrant caution.

We are convinced that it is because of the flu shot that my father contracted Guillain–Barré Syndrome with life-long debilitation for him. It almost killed him. There is enough evidence for me that I have concluded that the flu vaccination's main purpose is as a money-maker.

• AT Elk River, MN
    Nov. 23, 2013 11:35 a.m.

That the "epidemiology staff" could find no evidence of other instances only show that the staff are incompetent. There are many instances of this kind of thing happening. The vaccine manufacturers have a vested interest in maintaining the illusion that these are safe and, even more importantly, effective.

• mattmo Gallatin, MO
    Nov. 23, 2013 10:40 a.m.

SOoooooo sorry sister Webb soooo sorry it breaks my heart to read things like this. Twice while I was in the military I was ordered to get the flu shot both times I got real sick I too believe it was due to the flu shot and maybe I am allergic to something in the shot and who is to know if they are allergic or not until you get one. I just don't think that people should be made to get one if they don't want to just let them know what the consequences may be it they don't but also let them know what the consequences may be if they do. Don't ever take away my right to say "No thank-you"

• Northern Logan, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Everyone I know who gets a flu shot gets more sick than those who don't. Eat healthy stop eating sugar, stop drinking soda and you will be fine.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 10:25 a.m.

Tragic event irrespective of the cause, which has yet to be determined. Let the CDC investigate and allow science to have a say. The risk:benefit ratio for vaccinations is vastly in favor of those who are vaccinated.

• wilson-kelly Vale, OR
    Nov. 23, 2013 10:09 a.m.

The 'truth serum' relative to vaccines isn't given until you or yours has been personally affected.
    Be glad you have a constitution that can that the hit, show a little empathy for others who without the same constitution. You will be affected sooner or later, if not you, perhaps your children or grandchildren.
    People spend more time researching their next mattress purchase than evaluating the results of shooting foreign proteins into their body. They just simply parrot what they have been told. Do your own research, read the vaccine inserts! Mercury IS NOT taken out of the multi-dose vaccine, get your life time supply in one dose! Are you so sure there is not an allergen for you in that vaccine?
    I support you decision to vaccinate, you should support mine not to.
    If your vaccine works, you need not fear my unvaccinated child, more like I should fear yours while he is shedding this stuff.
    And remember, IT IS NOT THE VACCINE! Until it is your turn.
    My condolences to this family. I applaud this mother. She will now be vilified as she goes against the 'experts'; who are paid by whom?

• Boopercat Gadsden/Etowah, AL
    Nov. 23, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Dear Deserthiker, Although you are a physician, I do not believe this makes you an expert in vaccinations. My nephew is a physician and he doesn't even come close to knowing what I know about vaccinations. Believe me, when you are the vaccine injured party or your child is, you make it your full time job to study and research. I grow weary of physicians treating lay people as if we are unintelligent. I have a law degree and know full well how important it is as to the source of your research. We are not taking our lead from tabloids or snopes. With all due respect, you are INCORRECT that the science is there to support the safety of vaccinations. Look at the bloated vaccine schedule that grows more so with eah passing you. Show me ONE SINGLE STUDY as to the safety of this many vaccines, so young. There is not one. It has not been done as has been testified to before congressional committees. PLEASE do the research showing the other side of this issue. THank you.

• Apocalypse please Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 9:04 a.m.

@Life With Anthony

First, sorry your son has autism.

You posted: "My personal feeling, based on experience and what I have seen in other cases, is that vaccines probably trigger something already there." Experts have reviewd evidence from five large epidemiological studies (three of which involed more than 100,000 children each) and concluded that the evidence did not support a link between thimerosal-contianing vaccines and autism.

You also posted: "I was surprised at the level of questioning regarding reactions to the shot this time. This indicates to me that there is probably more to it than we are generally being told." None of the questions are to somehow screen for autism, rather, they are to assess appropriateness ie allergies, too sick to receive, pregnancy, eligible for other vaccinations, etc.

• DocHolliday reno, NV
    Nov. 23, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Heavenly father has a better plan for him so he caused him to die this young? What a terrible thing to suggest. I don't believe god is that cruel.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 8:28 a.m.

As a physician I grow very frustrated when rumor, speculation, and fear replace reason and factual understanding. There is no government conspiracy with regard to research trying to hide information. There are many dedicated professionals doing the best they can to save lives. With regard to vaccines, the research is clear- VACCINES SAVE LIVES! The risk of an adverse reaction from a vaccine is very small. the risk of a life threatening reaction is minuscule. The risk of illness or death from NOT getting the vaccine is much much larger. Not getting vaccinated is like refusing to wear a seatbelt while driving because you heard of a story where someone was trapped in their car after a wreck by a seatbelt and died when the car burned. Your risk of dying is still much greater without the seatbelt, even if very rarely seat belts can cause death. Sadly there are many times in medicine when tests come up negative with regard to causes of illness and death. I grieve for the loss of the family in this article. Still, I think the chances of his death being caused by the vaccine are very very low. My children are all vaccinated.

• Boopercat Gadsden/Etowah, AL
    Nov. 23, 2013 8:10 a.m.

I had my daughter vaccinated and myself at roughly the same time. We are both vaccine damaged & have suffered for 20 years. I feel lucky to be alove. People take vaccinations too casually. Because they are doled out like lollipops at Walmarts does NOT make them safe, it just makes pharmaceutical companies a marketing genius. I have spent over 10 years reading the research. It is alarming. We want to believe that we can have a 2 second poke and be safe from disease. This is a false sense of security. I believe we have exchanged one set of casualties for another in the form of learning disabilities, autoimmune conditions & other forms of injury & death. I beg readers to research BOTH sides. There are MANY ways to be injured from vaccines. The National Vaccine Injury Information site is a good place to look, also at VAERS. VAERS is the national vaccine adverse events reporting system. Dr's are required by law to report vaccine events there. It is brimming over. It is estimated that only 1 percent is ever reported. Please do not add to this mothers grief by being critical of what she witnessed. She has good reason to pursue this further.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Nov. 23, 2013 7:49 a.m.

There was something on the front page of MSN a couple of years ago where a teenager in Colorado died because he didn't get the vaccine. Easy to blame things. I know people who think milk causes allergies and won't drink milk. Easy to blame things on thing other than tragic but freak things.

• California dude Orange County, CA
    Nov. 23, 2013 7:41 a.m.

You won't stick me alive. I'll take the flu over one of those death needles.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:56 a.m.

My condolences to the family.
    I try to stay healthy, I understand that a virus can be harmful and deadly. I Google. I find out how to keep the virus away from me. I worm my blood, exercise. I'll change my PH in the blood by taking vinegar or backing soda, up or down. I get out side for the sun [D]. I take vitamins and eat right. I don't care if I get the shot

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:55 a.m.

My heart goes out to the family of that young man. His mother can be assured that he is completing his mission in another realm. But what a tragedy for the family! Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Your son continues on but so must you in the knowledge that this life isn't our final destination but rather a short time in our eternal journey. May God bless his mother and the rest of the family and give them peace.

• caf Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:45 a.m.

What a terrible experience for these parents! I am so sorry that this happened. We don't always understand why bad things happen but I hope that these parents do not loose their faith because their son was called back to God. My condolences on the loss of a treasured child.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Always get a flu shot, never had a reaction. Condolences to the family. An Autopsy might have provided a definitive answer. Just a thought.

• Swartzy Arlington, TX
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:44 a.m.

I am so sorry for the loss of their son. Nothing can compare to this. But when I was about his age 23 I got the HONG KONG flu. I nearly died. I was very ill for almost 2 weeks. It was the worst sickness I have ever experienced. When flu shots became available I started getting one every year. I didn't want to die from the flu. I have never had a reaction to the shots. I haven't had the flu again. I hope this mother will take another look at why her son died. Just reading this story, I do not see evidence that it was the flu shot, it might just have been a time he got sick from something else. I do hope for her they have some autopsy results so she can have a firm conclusion to this. To say anyone else should not get a flu shot becuase her son died after taking one, is a dis service to her son and to all of us who count on them to stay alive. I so hope they give her some hard evidence of what caused her son's death, no matter what it is.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:30 a.m.

Maybe the Heavenly Father has a better plan for him. His Earthly mother should let his body go to organ donation and they will do an autopsy to make sure that diseases have not damage the parts that can be used in other person. Only then we should able to determine what caused his body to fail.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 2:41 a.m.

Good luck proving it.

• Life With Anthony Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 11:43 p.m.

I'm wondering if you have an autistic child; my guess is that you do not. I do. If you are interested, I write a blog about him using my screen name here as the title.

I would say that "debunked" is probably too strong a term to use with regard to whether vaccines cause autism. My personal feeling, based on experience and what I have seen in other cases, is that vaccines probably trigger something already there. That 18 months after birth is when autistic symptoms often suddenly appear, and that that is precisely one of the points in modern children's lives when additional--some having been given at birth--vaccines are administered, is a case for at least a reasonable argument to be made concerning a connection. Right or wrong, I think "debunked" is not entirely accurate.

I just received a flu shot. I had shots a couple of years in a row some years back, and then haven't for a few years. I was surprised at the level of questioning regarding reactions to the shot this time. This indicates to me that there is probably more to it than we are generally being told.

• gma1 phx., AZ
    Nov. 22, 2013 11:04 p.m.

It is tragic for this young man to have passed away at such a young age.

Did the doctors test him for egg allergies? Since I am allergic to eggs, I cannot have flu shots. The symptoms he suffered as described in the article are identical to some of the symptoms I suffer after ingesting or exposure to eggs. Perhaps it was the egg content of the shot rather than the virus in the vaccine that caused him to become so ill.

Flu vaccines save a multitude of lives each year. My grandson, who has asthma, has to get a shot each year or his health can be at great risk. In addition, my elderly mother died from the flu. Please get your flu shot if you are able since you may be saving your own life as well as that of others.

• Ett Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:55 p.m.

Dr. Gregory House: [examining a baby whose mother isn't vaccinating him because she feels it's a scam; House takes the child's stuffed frog] All natural, no dyes. That's a good business - all-natural children's toys. Those toy companies, they don't arbitrarily mark up their frogs. They don't lie about how much they spend on research and development. And the worst that a toy company can be accused of is making a really boring frog. Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit. You know another really good business? Teeny tiny baby coffins. You can get them in frog green, fire engine red. Really. The antibodies in yummy mummy only protect the kid for six months, which is why these companies think they can gouge you. They think that you'll spend whatever they ask to keep your kid alive. Want to change things? Prove them wrong. A few hundred parents like you decide they'd rather let their kid die then cough up 40 bucks for a vaccination, believe me, prices will drop *really* fast. Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit, gribbit, gribbit. Modern vaccines don't cause flu.Get vaccinated.

• Kora Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Duggity- is that evidence? I never had a kidney stone until I went to Italy. Should I warn everyone that Italy causes kidney stones? I hear people all the time present anecdotal stories about how something made them sick all based on timing with no actual evidence. If we practiced medicine that way, more people would die, and at a younger age. It is this alarmist attitude that costs lives. Look at the whole "vaccines cause autism" argument. This has been debunked over and over again, yet people still avoid vaccines for their kids and we encounter measles outbreaks, and they are never primarily among the vaccinated population, they start with the un-vaccinated.

Do all the anti-vaccine people want to be surrounded by a bunch of possible flu carriers? No. They want everyone else to get vaccinated to protect them. That seems great until nobody gets the shot and there is no herd immunity anymore.

• Laura Ann Layton, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:07 p.m.

My grandmother showed me a picture of my Aunt Vivian when I went to visit her when I was a girl. She was two years old and looked really pretty, but I wondered why her eyes were closed. She was dead from the flu. This was the only picture they had of her. If only they had had the vaccine back then she would have probably not died. I would have had the wonder of having her in my life. I still remember my grandmother's tears and her telling me: 'I can't talk about this anymore.'

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:03 p.m.

WHile the individual death is a tragedy, especially for the family, this is similar to the allegations by some that maybe you should not wear a seat belt because you might be trapped in a car if it went into a river or something.

Perhaps the fears have some validity, but the odds are very heavily in favor of getting flu shots and wearing seat belts.

Many more people will die if life saving measures are denied to those who want them.

However, people SHOULD be free to chose not to participate in flu shots or wearing seat belts--- and to be held solely responsible for the possible adverse outcomes.

• Medical Student Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:01 p.m.

First off, I would like to express my condolences to the Webb family. This is a tradgedy, no matter what the cause.

How do you know that the flu vaccine caused your illness, other than the fact that your illness occurred shortly after getting a flu shot? Your experience doesn't prove a cause-and-effect relationship. And how can you be so sure that the science backing vaccines is tainted by the government. The researchers who study this stuff number in the tens of thousands. They belong to numerous organizations. How do you suppose that the government has total control of all of them?

That said, I like to keep an open mind. If this young man's death was caused by the flu vaccine, I would hope that it would lead to further research into how we can reduce such reactions.

Antibiotics occasionally cause fatal allergic reactions, and yet they have saved untold millions of lives. Just a thought.

• IDAHO-UTE chubbuck, ID
    Nov. 22, 2013 9:37 p.m.

Very tragic the loss of this young man! Being a father of three beautiful children I could never imagine the pain. I get my flu shot every year, and will continue to do so. The risk of the actual Influenza virus (often mistaken for other causes of infection) is too great. Because people in close proximity to my 7 week old baby girl last year opted to not get the flu shot, she ended up in the hospital for 6 days and it almost killed her. There is risk any time you take a needle and inject something into the body. There is risk associated with using airbags in a car, but I sure would not go and disconnect them.

• maryif San Diego, CA
    Nov. 22, 2013 8:20 p.m.

"Another state health official late Friday offered a statement.“Our epidemiology staff have commented that although they have no evidence of a flu vaccine, or any other kind of vaccine, causing this type of reaction/outcome, they take these reports very seriously and they are thoroughly investigated by the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention),” the statement read."
    - And who is this "other state health official"??

Good luck with the CDC.. they are basically owned by the pharmaceutical companies the same as any billion dollar multinational controls/influences the governing offices dictating the laws detrimental/beneficial to their profit margins.

A four-month investigation by United Press International found a pattern of serious problems linked to vaccines recommended by the CDC -- and a web of close ties between the agency and the companies that make vaccines.

Critics say those ties are an unholy alliance in a war against disease where vaccine side effects have damaged, hurt or killed people, mostly children.

"The CDC is a disgrace. It is a corrupt organization," said Stephen A. Sheller, a Philadelphia attorney who has sued vaccine makers for what he says were bad vaccines. "The drug companies have them on their payroll."

Nov. 22, 2013 8:05 p.m.

There are deaths related to flu vaccines, mostly among people with egg allergies, but the deaths from contracting the flu virus are much higher. Deaths from contracting flu are highly variable each year and range from about 3,000 to 50,000 in the U.S. over the last 40 years.

Sorry her son died, which is sad regardless of the cause. Parents hope to die before their children, but we don't have that much control in life.

Nothing is perfectly safe in life and we all choose to play the odds as we understand them. When I was a kid I had a neighbor who walked down the sidewalk, fell off the curb and died. Can't completely predict or protect ourselves from low probability events.

• duggity Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Only once in my life have I ever had a flu shot, and I got so sick I lost 15 pounds that week. And I only weighed 135 at the time at 5'10". That was the sickest I have ever been in my life. I will not ever subject my children to the dangers of this scam, and I encourage everyone out there to avoid this. It is not safe. There needs to be real research done on this instead of "government research," where the focus is on how to avoid taking blame rather than fixing the problem.