Faith

Poking fun at the human experience: BYUtv's 'Studio C' is thriving in its 3rd season

Comments

• Jimm8 sarver, PA
    Nov. 26, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Why we love Studio C.
    1. Good clean fun
    2. Great concept- very well executed
    3. Intelligent comedy- not "dumbed down". Very witty, clever, and professional w/o being stuffy
    3. Phenomenal acting- They are obviously naturally talented, but schooled in the arts as well.
    4. Help kids see Mormonism is bigger than our small ward and pretty darn cool.
    5. Universal- Ages 6 - 46 love it! (as tested in our house)
    I call it "Clean version of Saturday Night Live"

• Doug Zumbrun marion, IN
    Nov. 26, 2013 8:07 a.m.

We absolutely love Studio C. It is one of the few show that #1 is suitable to view and #2 all of our four children still at home agree that they like. The Gollum skit had me nearly on the floor and gets quoted weekly. Yes, some of the skits are not real funny, but most are fantastic. We are building great family memories by watching the show. We just started watching and when we saw the skit where the actors were doing parts of the wrong skit, we didn't understand a lot of it, but as we watch re-runs it begins to make sense. I love the German skits because I served my mission in West Germany. Keep up the fantastic work guys. We will be buying the DVD's and watching them over Christmas break.

• Domanator21 Orem, UT
    Nov. 26, 2013 6:29 a.m.

@Caleb
    I'm pretty sure Scar didn't kill Mufasa to eat him, but I see your point. Maybe I should have picked a better example of people committing murder in children's movies, whatever. My point is that I think you're nitpicking on the show and trying to find ways to be offended. Also, this is the only BYUtv show I watch because none of the other ones have the slightest bit of interest for me. I will agree that there is a correlation between violent media and an increasingly violent society. However, I don't feel like Studio C is glorifying or trivializing the atrocity of murder in any way, but then again I am desensitized like most of the nation.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:32 p.m.

My wife and I were in the library the other day. I made a joke about fearing Ann was going to jump out at us at any moment. At that point, my wife holds up the book she was getting and asks, "Do you think I'm, 'The Enchantress?". We couldn't wait to get home and tell my oldest daughter about it.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Nov. 25, 2013 7:45 p.m.

Lion King has no human characters. Its not immoral for a predator animal to eat and kill another animal. I think a comedy series has a different responsibility for handling murders than a drama does. It seems to me like from all of your questions that you are more upset that I dared to criticize a byutv show than I am about the show. I thought the one party game skit where one of the partygoers chokes the other one to death would most likely be considered a murder. I liked the Batman and the dancing skit one. That was pretty funny. I think there have been a lot of funny episodes and skits. But if you can't accept a correlation between violent media and an increasingly violent society you are living in a dreamworld.

• Domanator21 Orem, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 5:07 p.m.

@Caleb in New York
    As far as I know I've never seen a murder on this show. I've seen some "birthday parties." Some people have been "snuggled" or shot with "fairies". There, does that make it easier to handle? A few non violent murders really has you that upset? You really think a mentally unstable person is going to see Studio C and that will set them off? All the other filth out there won't set them off but Studio C's depiction of a couple murders will? You want to distance murder from shows that are supposed to teach family values? You know the Lion King has a couple murders in it that most people would find more harrowing than the ones depicted in Studio C. Many other Disney and Pixar movies have murder in them. If you can't handle the way a few murders are depicted you don't need to watch. Just know that most people would agree you are being oversensitive.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    Nov. 25, 2013 3:13 p.m.

I watch Studio C for one reason only...Mallory Everton. She is a hottie!! Love a gorgeous girl with a great sense of humor and comedic timing!

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 3:03 p.m.

ulvegaard,
    I might have a solution for you, at least with regard to BYUtv. Are you familiar with "Roku"? It's a device that will pick up anything (for which it has permission) on the Internet for broadcast on TV. Barring that, you can also watch BYUtv live or recorded on the Internet.

• B ob Richmond, CA
    Nov. 25, 2013 2:35 p.m.

So many comments - I didn't read them all - but some. Un-tragic death is a joke in Mormon culture...so jokes about death on Studio C are right on target. We also watch it as a family and we all laugh. We quote from it. Refer to it. Joke about which are the best skits and agree on who the best actors are.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Nov. 25, 2013 2:29 p.m.

I like Studio C a lot. No, not every skit is funny, but I'm never afraid that we'll have to turn it off because it's inappropriate. In terms of content rating, it is probably on the low side of PG (like a PG-), which I guess doesn't work for the few posters on here who don't want anything more mature than a G rating. (You can't please everyone.) For the vast majority of viewers, however, it is as good and clean as you can get. Keep up the good work, Studio C!

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Nov. 25, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Its wonderful that such things can also be found on TV. I have seen the show maybe once or twice -- while visiting family. We don't get TV where we live - either satellite or cable (too expensive and too much garbage on the air waves that we got tired of paying for). If there was a way to get satellite and have it just be BYU TV, The History channel and maybe the Discovery channel, we would go for it.

It is also interesting that research has shown the the movies that make the most money at the box office are G and PG movies -- not the R, and yet, that is what is turned out the most. It just goes to show that the industry, overall, is not trying to please the majority of its audience. We are so grateful for BYU TV. Keep up the good work.

• David M Metairie, LA
    Nov. 25, 2013 1:43 p.m.

Some of the skits in Studio C involves with joking about someone getting killed. In one skit I recall sub-Church Standard clothing being warn. I could go on, but I've seen funnier, much cleaner unrehearsed comedy here in the City of New Orleans than I've seen presented on Studio C. Like I said before, I would like to see good clean comedy on BYU-TV. Last week episode "Niagara Falls" and the skit right after that are decent examples of being relatively clean and funny.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 1:17 p.m.

As the Studio C people said, they won't be able to please everybody, and there might be some things that bother people. I was rather turned off by the SlasherCom sketch, for instance. But, consistently coming up with good ideas has to be very taxing. I am really grateful that they have come up with a show that can be clever and clean at the same time. I frankly would like a little more edge to some of the skits, as was the case with International Relations; up until recently I have felt that they appealed too much to kids--my 16- and 11-year-olds are wild about it--and not quite enough to adults, but I think they're getting better. With regard to the International Relations sketch, by the way, I think Studio C really missed an opportunity for an extra "zing" by not having the Britain character come back to USA's football comment with something about the lack of feet involved in USA's badly misnamed "football" (I'm a big fan of both versions, by the way).

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 12:16 p.m.

I think that Studio C does stray from hokey "Mormon" humor at times. But it does not stray into inappropriate humor. I watch Studio C every week. I am not sure what these people are seeing in terms of "inappropriate" content. I can think of about 2 skits that have murder: Blame the Butler and Snape/Bachlorette. I am sure there are others, but if someone saying avada kedevra is disturbing.........wow. Extreme conservatism at its finest.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:29 a.m.

I noticed in the first season a surprisingly large amount of their skits ended in a quick murder. While it is good that it was not graphic, I think associating lots of murder skits with family values is at least a little misleading. That's great that sexual content is largely gone. But isn't murder a worse sin than a law of chastity violation? Of course, many viewers will understand the comedic nature of the skits and will not be motivated to commit murder. But with school-place shootings and violence increasing in society, its probably would be better for Studio C to distance itself from so many murders because you never know what loony impressionable people will be watching. And if we truly find the subject of murder overly hilarious, we need some personal reflection about our tastes in humor.

• RoryJ ,
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:18 a.m.

I'm 62, my wife and I and all six of our children and their young families love Studio C. Thanks for producing quality entertainment the whole family can enjoy. We anxiously anticipate every new episode which becomes the favorite topic of conversation for the next week. The entire Studio C cast and crew are masters of their craft. Keep up the great work.

• maximum Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:53 a.m.

My wife and I are in our 40's and we DVR Studio C every week. There are some sketches that we say "that was dumb" but most of them have at least one joke that makes us laugh out loud. My favorite is the weather report. I keep that recording to watch again when I think the world is literately going to end ... Oh oh, hope balance isn't restored from that comment :)

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:48 a.m.

I would like the double-poster of David M. to give us specific instances of how Studio C sways from the standards of BYU or the church. If it ever did, my family and I would never watch it.

As far as the "sarcasm at the expense of different groups of people" charge, aside from saying I don't agree, I don't know how to comment on that.

Studio C, you are a breath of fresh air. Our family does not watch TV and has not for 23 years now. Studio C is one of the few online shows that we do watch. It is simply not possible to see or hear the word "bisque" in the same light, ever again!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:16 a.m.

It's funny but at times they take it too far, making sarcastic humor of different groups of people. Sarcasm is cheap humor, that makes me uncomfortable and is inappropriate. Otherwise it's a very funny show!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:01 a.m.

I really enjoy Studio C, but what has happened to the Awkward Avoidance Viking?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:01 a.m.

Honestly! I guess you can't please everyone. I can't imagine what anyone would find about Studio C that is not within the standards of BYU or the Church.

It took me a while to watch it because I thought it was going to be really hokey. But, I was so pleasantly surprised to find that it is really great and very clever. It is intelligent, funny and clean. Keep up the good work, you guys. I hope you can go on for many years.

• Salt Murray, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:39 a.m.

I currently live in Germany. We watch Studio C religiously and we have a lot of fun with it. My children attend US military schools here. Our 8th grader has started showing Studio C to a group of friends during his "Advisory" period every Tuesday . . . I've warned him that it's okay as long as his grades stay up . . . Studio C humor gives him a way to counter the grungy humor that otherwise pervades. We also really enjoy some of the cultural humor attempts (German scientist :-)). . . would love to see more about cultural miscues (i.e. thinking about the German coast guard commercial "What are you 'Sinking' about?) Our only complaint is that the gaps between seasons are toooooo long!

• David M Metairie, LA
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:19 a.m.

I've watched nearly every episode of Studio C, but I've become concerned about several scripts that don't seem to match the values of BYU or the LDS Church. I don't have children yet, but this doesn't seem to meet the standards of shows that I would want my children to watch.

I think comedy is good for BYU-TV, but I also believe it shouldn't sway away from the standards of BYU or the LDS Church.

• IsaacsTM Huntingtown, MD
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:19 a.m.

You should do some crowd sourcing of ideas. Sometimes we hear of funny things that happen and say - that should be a studio C skit! Example - I had someone in the ward tell me about when they were young that their dad took the family to a casino for the purpose of teaching them how bad gambling was. He knew the odds were always against him and wanted to show his kids how you always lose money. He then proceeded to gamble but actually started winning - his mom started to get really really excited about how much they were winning! His lesson got turned on its head. It was hilarious to hear him tell it.

• IsaacsTM Huntingtown, MD
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:18 a.m.

This article is spot on - everyone at Studio C - keep going. Our family watches them together and my boys (twins 11 and a six year old6) are quoting them all the time. I took a group of kids up to the DC temple to do baptisms (1 hour drive) and all we talked about with the youth was studio C. I hope what you are doing is sinking in and that you keep it up and keep the clean quality that you've had in the past. We don't watch tv anymore but look forward to the next studio C.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:15 a.m.

Pregnant Secret Agent...

pgrofl...

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Studio C is awesome! Our family's favorite show on T.V. Such witty and smart humor.

• David Centerville, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Our family has loved watching Studio C. We have a number of favorite episodes: Poker, Matt carrying groceries in one trip, a cowboy street shoot out, the shoulder angel, balance restored, 3rd Wheel song, the very old scout leader who is also a drivers ed instructor, the Facebook song, healthy grocery shopping,…

When we have company visit, we often sit them down and introduce them to Studio C.

Its great to have something on tv that is clean.