Why retailers open or close their doors on Sunday

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:38 p.m.

It's all about the money. America has become so materialistic that it has put Mammon before God. I loved living in Europe and seeing entire families walking together around the city and parks on Sundays with very little traffic on the streets. Few stores were open and no malls. A designated pharmacy would be open for emergencies.

Staying open on Sundays means forcing many people (who would rather not be there) to work rather than attend church or relax with their families. The CEO's won't be working, of course, just the underlings.

As someone once remarked, "No one ever said on his deathbed, 'Gee,I wish I'd spent more time at the office.' "

• Mukkake Montreal, QC, 00
    Nov. 22, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Hobby Lobby:
    "Sunday would be a profitable day to open," he said. "But we feel that taking care of our employees is more important."

Funny, this is the same company suing so that they don't have to provide comprehensive healthcare to their employees.

• MemoFromA Demo SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 7:42 a.m.

As a consumer and a religious man, I take notice of businesses that close their doors on the sabbath. I respect them for honoring the time held Judeo-Christian belief that "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:" So, to all you business owners out there who close your doors in observance of the sabbath (whether your sabbath be Saturday or Sunday), I say good on you! I make it a point to give my shopping preference to your stores and establishments.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Nov. 21, 2013 11:15 p.m.

@Kevin the POGP talked about someone offering salvation to everyone not forced righteousness. How would he force it? Didn't say. Who likes to be told what to do all the time? I doubt the 3d hosts of heaven did. A business should be able to do what it wants. One day of closing does help.

As for Dnews being delivered on Sunday I read where Mark E Peterson in his biography heard David O Mckay talk about it and they chose to deliver then. Did not get a whole lot of complaints. Several things run by the church require Sunday labor, Police, Doctors, Pilots some ag jobs require Sunday labor. Don't know about Athletes. As for retail could avoid that by not shopping then.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Not all religions Sabbath's are on Sunday. When I lived in New York I shopped at a photography store run by a very nice Hassidic Jewish family. I knew that if needed something I needed to get it by early afternoon on Friday because the store would close early so they could be home before sundown, if I did not get it I would have to wait until Sunday or go elsewhere. There were also many places closed on Sunday for various religious and secular reasons, they did not make a big fuss about it or demand everyone follow their dictates it just was what it was. it is the nature of the city as I suspect is true of LA. I have no problem with companies making these decisions but blue laws are just silly in a pluralistic society.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, TX
    Nov. 21, 2013 3:31 p.m.

I spent my high school years in a small town in Deep East Texas.

Every drugstore in town had a soda fountain and grill. All were open on Sundays.

The clerk that ran the soda fountain and grill in the main drugstore refused on religious grounds to cook on Sunday.

I never figured that out -- why it was objectionable to cook, but not to do business.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Sunday is just a day. Not even the sabbath, if that's what you want to peg your closing day to. I remember small town stores closing on wednesday, to make up for their staff working saturday. And nobody should be getting postal delivery on the weekend. They're losing money like crazy; delivery should be to central boxes in communities maybe three days a week.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Nov. 21, 2013 10:34 a.m.

@gittalopctbi --

"Au Contrarius" -- I like that. ;-)

"what IS Hobby Lobby's "true intent" that we don't already know? "

Oh, we already know it -- they're just not admitting to it in their flimsy excuse for the Sunday closing.

"Why criticize a company that gives at least one day off a week to its employees?"

Most of America gives their employees at least one day a week off. We've got 40-hour work weeks, remember? That doesn't mean that everyone has to have the SAME day off.

"It's their store. They can do what they want. "

• Kevin J. Kirkham Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 10:11 a.m.

The POGP talks about someone advocating the use of force to promote righteous behaviors. Blue Laws do this exact thing. Consider this quote -

“When I was a small boy we had just emerged from under the blue laws of Connecticut -- to greater freedom of thought and action.” (Wilford Woodruff)

Such laws are contrary to the Gospel and American principles of freedom and should therefore be condemned as evil in both the secular and sectarian sense.

• Relocated Southerner Logan, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 10:09 a.m.

So, Utah is not the only state to have businesses that close on Sunday? Could it be that those evil Mormons are not the only ones who like stores closed on Sunday? Every time I hear all the complaints about all the "restrictions" that the Church imposes on others here, I tell them that they have never been in the Bible Belt -- Deep South -- or any other areas of the United States and, apparently, Europe as well. And I well remember when we had strict blue laws in effect where I grew up. We didn't miss a thing by keeping most stores closed on Sunday, and it was nice for the people who worked in the stores to have a day when they could be off with their entire family. Someone else posted that employees could have another day of the week off, and while that is true, if you have people in one family with different days of the week off, you never get the opportunity to have the entire family together on one day. And I wish the stores would stay closed on Thanksgiving, too!

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 10:01 a.m.

re Steve Cottrell
    Centerville, UT

I wasn't alive 60 years ago, but in my life time, people who ordered the Desnews got it Monday through Saturday and on Sunday got the Salt Lake Tribune. The same carrier who delivered on the the 6 days of the week also delivered on Sunday. My guess is this is how it was 60 years ago too. Back then the LDS was more strict about most everything. Over time they have moderated.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2013 9:38 a.m.

@ gittalopctbi: You are absolutely right and the entire premise of this article is flawed.

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Many large national chains insist that their franchisees be open on Sunday as a matter of company policy.

In small towns in Utah, this is often a money losing proposition. I am aware of many business that have petitioned their parent company for an exception so they don't have to lose money to be open on Sunday.

Some have relented, but most have stuck to the policy even thought it costs the franchisees money.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 21, 2013 9:10 a.m.

BTW, the Dallas Morning News Sunday Early Edition is available on Saturday from 9:00 AM in the grocery stores, so you don't have to have people work on Sunday to get a Sunday paper.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 21, 2013 9:08 a.m.

"Bergen County is one of the few counties in the United States enforcing strict blue laws within its limits, said Jeanne Baratta, spokeswoman for Bergen County."

Obviously, they haven't been to Texas.

Some counties are completely "dry", some allow beer and wine sales but not hard alcohol, some completely prohibit sexually oriented businesses. Some restrict car dealerships to selling on only one weekend day - Saturday OR Sunday, but not both.

As to businesses being closed on Sunday, I enjoy being in Texas where it is not frowned on, but people close up shop on Sunday and it is understood. Chick Fil-A, Hobby Lobby and other large concerns (some restaurants) still close on Sunday down here, and it's refreshing.

When I lived in Oregon (20+ years), Sunday was just a second Saturday.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Au Contrarius, pray tell--what IS Hobby Lobby's "true intent" that we don't already know? Why criticize a company that gives at least one day off a week to its employees?

Left out of the discussion is Chick-Fil-A that also closes on Sundays.

@Kalindra I do not understand how a business owner can "impose" his beliefs on the consumer. The consumer is not forced to do business with him, first of all. The mere fact that the consumer would not be able to purchase at this business on a particular day is not imposing any "belief" on a consumer any more than a business owner closing at a certain time at night. Most barbers and beauty shops are not open on Monday. We plan for a different day instead, right? Or find one that is. Why find complaints about businesses? It's their store. They can do what they want. Don't like it? Take you money elsewhere.

• dan76 san antonio, TX
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:57 a.m.

The businesses I avoid are the ones open 24/7.

• Tad TOOELE, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:57 a.m.

In the Bible, it was the Pharisees who favored strict enforcement of the Sabbath commandment. It was also the Pharisees who came up with a number of goofy rules, such as putting food at a distance then defining Sabbath travel in such a way that traveling to where the food was was not a violation of the commandment, Readers of the Bible will recognize that Jesus criticized the Pharisees for their over adherence to the letter of the commandment and not to its spirit.

The Hebrew Sabbath is on Saturday (Saturn's day in Rome), but was changed to Sunday in Christiandom. Christian apologists claim this is because Jesus was resurrected on Sunday, but if he was crucified on the day before the Sabbath and resurrected the morning after, then the 3 days in the tomb count doesn't really work. It seems more likely that Sunday (The sun's day in Rome - which worshiped the Sun) was chosen synchronisticly to coincide with Constantine's - and Rome's - affiliation with Sol Invictus (the cult of the Sun).

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:55 a.m.

I'm surprised that people remember when the Deseret News did not have a Sunday paper. I was delivering the Deseret News 60 years ago -- every Sunday.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:24 a.m.

I'm amused that Hobby Lobby claims its closure policy is all about the employees.

They don't have to close on Sundays in order to give their workers a day off. There's no reason why workers have to all take the *same* day off.

Of course Hobby Lobby has the right to close whenever they wish -- but they should at least be honest about the reasons. IMHO it's very telling that they feel the need to hide their true intent.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:20 a.m.

In some religions, Saturday is the Sabbath. Members if these religions have no moral imperative to not do business on Sunday.

In a pluralistic society such as ours, it is perfectly valid to offer business services on Saturday and Sunday thus allowing patrons and employees to honor their Sabbath in the manner dictated by their belief system without imposing the beliefs of the business owner on them.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 7:24 a.m.

"Blue laws, as they're commonly known in the United States, require nonessential stores to be closed on Sundays to conform with local moral and cultural standards."

Operating a business on Sunday - a day named in honor of the sun god, Apollo - is not a "moral" issue.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Amazon is going to start delivering on Sundays, following a uniquely American philosophy of catering to customers. ... Is this policy really uniquely American?

I remember when the desnews didn't offer a newspaper on Sunday.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 21, 2013 4:59 a.m.

WHY? Thats an easy one.

Most, not all, business that are open on Sunday, do it for the money.
    Most, not all, that are closed on Sunday, do so because the Govt told them they had to.

I find it a bit hypocritical that this is written by a DN reporter and published in the DN which operates a "business" that forces lots of people to work on Sundays.

Absolutely necessary? I think not. There was a time when the DN did not publish on Sunday.