Sports

Utah football: Despite bevy of challenges, Utes vow to keep on swinging

Comments

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 23, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Yawn...well, I guess you told me. You and your friends should get jobs with ESPN or something with your breathtaking analysis. As for me, it's nice having stats on my side, not emotionally driven make-believe friends.

Go Devils!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2013 6:23 p.m.

cougar--

"Well, there's the other side of the coin."

You conveniently ommitted the fact we had ASU nearly tripled-up on the scoreboard, as well.

As one who's literally been attending ASU Football games since birth and is a lifelong season ticket holder, as well as having my entire family full of ASU Alumni, I'm well entrenched w/in the ASU community and have spoken w/an endless number of ASU Alumni/fans and you are literally the sole "purported" ASU fan to make this utterly vain attempt to state this blatantly contrary conclusion to what in fact actually occurred....This includes ASU fans I attended this game with.

Every single one stated the same, identical thing, "Utah completely dominated us and we got lucky! We stole one!"

Not only statistically, 'til we decided to play not to lose, but also on the scoreboard, as well.

What this tells me is you're no Sun Devil fan, but rather purely 100% a U of U hater, period, end-of-story.

Snake nailed it w/you, perfectly.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2013 2:27 p.m.

Entering into the 4th-QTR, asu barely had over 100 total yards, most of which they gained on their 1st drive of the game, merely a few minutes into the game....AND they were down, 19-7, into the 4th-QTR....What part of this do find to be confusing?

Well, there's the other side of the coin. The confusing part is that Utah had 121 yards passing (90 on two plays) for the whole game. Even if all those yards were in the first three quarters (which they weren't), that's not dominating. Utah had 126 yards rushing, 99 in the first half, 27 in the second half. That's not dominating. If you said Utah shut down ASU's high octane offense for 3 quarters, I'd agree with you. But you didn't. That's why it's "confusing". Because it's inaccurate.

Spokane Ute

Not trolling. Wondering why I commented? See AZUTE1 Comment. Would you post on a BYU article if someone said BYU dominated Utah when everyone knows they didn't? Of course you would. I'd give Utah credit (and do when I'm not talking to "fans" on these boards") if fans would be real.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 21, 2013 12:30 p.m.

@ Deductive Resoning

Like losing 4 in a row? I don't ever remember reffering to a tie in college footbal? Talk about not keeping up.

@ASU

Don't have any idea what ASU has to do with the dialogue, but thanks for chimming in. Nice to see you trolling a Utah thread looking for an arguement. Always a classy move. As far as ASU-Utah goes, I'd say that ASU pulled that one out in the bottom of the 9th. I know it's very, very difficult for you to give Utah any credit. If you can't do that as a result of the ASU-Utah game, you never will.....and to think, I was almost startig to consider you are a straight shooter.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2013 11:03 a.m.

cougarsundevil--

"Why do utes keep saying in close games that they "Completely Dominated" their opponent?"

In other words, we completely dominated them for 3+ quarters!

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Nov. 21, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Spokane Ute

There's no such thing as a foul ball in college football. Its either a win or a loss - ties were eliminated more than 20 years ago.

Try to keep up.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Spokane Ute,

"Hmmm, so I guess BYU has struck out and WSU has two strikes on them vs Utah."

So I guess you're in the top of the 6th inning and ASU is pitching a perfect game then, huh? Oh, and I've been an ASU fan longer than I can remember, so your theory about people jumping to someone else who beats Utah only furthers my point about Utah fans thinking too much of themselves.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:24 a.m.

AZUTE1

"[After completely dominating them [ASU] for 3+ quarters, they stole one from us by merely 1 point]"

Why do utes keep saying in close games that they "Completely Dominated" their opponent? Utah hasn't "Completely Dominated" anyone except Weber St. Close games are not "Completely Dominated". Completely Dominated is what Oregon did to Utah, not what Utah tried to do to Arizona State (loss), Oregon St (loss), USC (loss), Arizona (loss), and UCLA (loss). Even in Utah's wins this year they didn't dominate except the afore mentioned Weber state. You barely beat BYU (7 points), Stanford (7 points), and Utah State (4 points). I don't see any domination anywhere in Utah's schedule. ANYWHERE. Utah needs to get over themselves. They are making the hunger Narcissus look self loathing.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 21, 2013 7:31 a.m.

At Thomas Jefferson

Statistics say the PAC 12 is the 2nd best conference in the country. Go to ESPN, CBS Sports or the Saragin Rankings. Opinions are, well just that. Facts are facts; now go mark that down fella.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Quack! Quack!

Did someone say something?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 7:23 p.m.

@spokane ute

Kinda like when your team can't earn a winning record you become a "fan" of the conference you are in.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 7:16 p.m.

At gone fishin

Hmmm, so I guess BYU has struck out and WSU has two strikes on them vs Utah. I guess when your teams can't beat Utah you simply jump on the band wagon of those who can. Awesome, totally awesome.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 6:53 p.m.

Maybe it's time to go fishin your comparison between Utah football and baseball is lacking. Or better yet, let's get together at the Utah-WSU game. We could discuss this face to face. I would love to do that!

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 6:14 p.m.

Big Utah Fan,
    So if a team has QB trouble 5 years in a row would you call that bad luck or poor recruiting? Maybe they should get some QB's that can stand up to the punishment of the game. Also, if you are considering it bad luck then we must also assume that is was bad luck for BYU that you beat them 4 times in a row. I get it now, BYU IS the better team they just had bad luck when paying the utes. Thanks for clearing that up.

@Spokane ute,
    So I guess in BB there are an unlimited amount of swings before you actually strike out.
    We will just call all of the ute loses foul balls. That sounds better.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 5:22 p.m.

@Gone Fishin

In baseball you usually get three swings before you strike out. Unless you foul a pitch off, or the pitcher throws a ball. I hope that helps!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 5:11 p.m.

@ Gone Fishing

Hard to be considered for a NC when you get blown out by Oregon. Who in the world ever put Utah in the NC discussion? I think Utah wins this weekend. I will be here in Spokane cheering on the Utes. I hope Leach doesn't lock any of his players in a tool shed after the game. All kidding aside; Leach is a good coach and certainly has WSU heading in the right direction. However, when you are at the very bottom of the conference, there's no other direction to go. Wins over Utah and UW for WSA are far, far from a given.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 3:28 p.m.

After thinking about it and talking with a couple of my ute friends, we've agreed on exactly where the problem lies with Utah in the PAC12. Their recruiting has improved and, no doubt they'll continue to be able to recruit good athletes at just about every position. However, to win in the PAC you have to have great play from the QB position, and Utah has not had a stellar history when it comes to recruiting QBs. They've had 6 offensive coordinators in 6 yrs with schemes anywhere from the spread option to pro style to a mixture of the 2. Utah will continue to struggle to get true PAC quality QBs (not Kyle Whittingham's "upper echelon" version), because they have no tradition of great QBs and have no offensive identity. If I'm a big time QB recruit looking at the PAC12, why would I take Utah over other, more QB oriented programs?

I'm saying this as an honest analysis, not trying to pick on Utah. Imagine where Utah would be with great QB play right now? Sad truth is, they may never be able to recruit that position as well as other PAC programs.

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 2:43 p.m.

@ RockOn I can see players west of the Mississippi considering Utah as they joined the PAC 12

Utah has already expanded their foot print in recruiting because of the affiliation with the PAC-12 Utah has received commitments from Donovan Isom #34 QB prospect,Destrehan, LA ESPN insider compared him to Cam Newton, Brandon Snell WR he is JC not ranked, Miami, FL, and Monte Seabrook # 92 S Prospect, Newberry, FL. These are athletes BYU just cannot recruit and as for BYU's future being brighter then Utah you are losing the recruiting battles in the State of Utah you lost a BYU lifer in Chase Hansen because he wanted to play in the PAC-12 and not independent this will continue to be the case. As you stated you will not get the recruits to compete in the defensive secondary and your other skill players will be servicable but not All American types. So what makes you think BYU future is brighter?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 20, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Washington State is "trending up"?

They just had a 16-day break in order to prepare for a ua team which was merely 7-days removed from an emotional/heartbreaking loss by 5 points against UCLA. I remember Washington State coming off of a bye-week last year and putting a scare into Stanford on the road falling in the end, 24-17. The following week they entered into R.E.S. and were brutally curb-stomped, 49-6.

I also remember witnessing WSU's last 3 home games this year--

L Stanford 55-17 [We beat Stanford, 27-21]

L Oregon State 52-24 [We lost to OSU in OT by 3 points]

L Arizona State 55-21 [After completely dominating them for 3+ quarters, they stole one from us by merely 1 point]

--WSU doesn't get 16-days to prepare for us.

I'll never forget what I witnessed in their last home blow-out loss against asu on Halloween night and how utterly undisciplined/lack-of-focus they displayed. asu made them look like a Pop Warner team it was so pathetic. There's something amiss within their home-environment w/this enormous home/away performance-disparity.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 20, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Funny how all we heard when Utah was joining the mighty PAC is that they would recruit every 5 star player and win Rose bowl after Rose bowl, and make a run for the NC. Yet in reality they've done absolutely nothing in the PAC and have backup QB's that wouldn't start for Kansas. Now the excuses are coming in droves. Yet Byu keeps consistently winning and going to bowl games.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 20, 2013 1:55 p.m.

HS--

"You are not going to get any sympathy from USU. What did Coach Wells do? He took his best quarterback's redshirt from him, coached him up, and sent him out to win some games, and what do you know they are going to a bowl game."

usu has yet to beat an opponent with a winning record. The combined record of the teams they've won against to date is 16-45, while playing against the currently #75 ranked SOS in the nation. In contrast, while playing against the #1 ranked SOS, the combined record of our FBS opponents to date is 55-21 [.724] and, although moral victories are just that and I don't buy into it, I do understand progress and its measurement. I understand that, excepting our last game at UO, we just as easily should've/could've won each and every one of our other 5 games resulting in a loss. Jeff Sagarin agrees with me, as his current ratings indicate. We're close and you know it!

You must not have thought beating usu with QB CK in Game 1 this year was "significantly meaningful", correct?

BTW, Stanford would strongly disagree with your sentiment, mind you!

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 1:20 p.m.

How many swings do they get before they strike out?

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Spokane ute,
    Yes the utes have been close many times. If this were horseshoes they would win the national championship.
    WSU just re-inked their coach until 2016 so their program is in the upward direction and Utah's is heading in the other direction. I think WSU has the win this weekend. I will be in Martin Stadium cheering on the Crimson Cougs.

• Horrible Stumper Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 12:44 p.m.

I don't believe that you can blame Utah's current woes on the loss of a quarterback. You are not going to get any sympathy from USU. What did Coach Wells do? He took his best quarterback's redshirt from him, coached him up, and sent him out to win some games, and what do you know they are going to a bowl game. If Utah is the "power team" from the "power conference" then they , they claim they are, they should be able to do the same. They must have athletes with equal ability as their PAC 12 peers. So they should coach up their players to compete. Surprisingly they have not won any significantly meaningful football games since Coach A left. So who was the real head coach at the Sugar Bowl?

• Staythecourse Ogden, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 12:38 p.m.

@ Big Ute Fan

I TOTALLY agree with you, I can't believe others can't see it either. You are spot on!!!

5 years of bad luck. It's too bad, if not for that bad luck at quarterback, those BYU fans wouldn't be so harsh.

I'm just hoping the string of bad luck ends soon so we can start winning again. It's a fact that we are losing because of bad luck.

I wish those BYU fans were more kind to us on these message board. It's hard when the
    "Bad Luck" bug bites you. And it is not Whit's fault at all, it's plain and simple.

BAD LUCK!!!!

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 11:41 a.m.

BYU has beat more BCS opponents than u, enough said. keep fighting utah, and good luck. you'll need a lot of it to make a bowl game.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I think if the BYU/Utah roles were reversed, both teams would fare about the same as the other. The teams are somewhat similar in skill. BYU appears to be improving. They have competed in every game they played. Also, I think Utah is not as bad as everyone thinks they are. They have been in almost every game they played. In many cases, they were leading near the end against perceived better talent.

Even their wins over Utah State and BYU and Stanford were close. They have had some bad luck in regards to injuries at key positions, but with some improvements I think many of the losses this year can be changed to wins next year.

I think the future looks bright for both teams. I doubt either team is going to the new playoffs implemented next year, but as far as entertainment value, I think both teams are high quality.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Something to consider, if KW leaves (of his own volition or fired) who are you going to replace him with? Consider Urban Meyer, he came, he got noticed, and he left. This will be your lot without a coach who really want to be here.

We like this place, but keep in mind Salt Lake, Utah, Inter-mountain West, may not be the "promised land" for a lot of talented coaches and staffs and players. Utah could be back to musical coaches.

The U of U was invited to PAC-World to fill out a dance card. Nebraska declined the offer, Salt Lake was the only TV market left. I wish it weren't so, but it is the situation.

I also realize, as a BYU alum, that the cougars would fare little better in the PAC 12 football wars.

Stay with coach Whittingham, you'll do no better IMO. The best way to build into a better program is consistency in coaching. The Utes will improve.

Somewhere the birds are singing, somewhere the children shout,
    There is no joy this year in Ute-ville, The mighty Utes have struck out.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:16 a.m.

ATTENTION: This is NOT a negative posting. I'm just curious to know why someone would opt to attend the Univerisity of Utah on a football scholarship. I do understand those who have close ties to the program -- parents attended, they're long time fans, etc. During the great Alex Smith and Brian Johnson string of impressive wins, I can see players west of the Mississippi considering Utah as they joined the PAC 12 with it's road to the Rose Bowl. That I get. But now? I know the excuses about ailments at quarterback, but being at the bottom of the PAC 12 and possibly missing two bowl games in a row -- hasn't that countered the earlier great winning seasons pre-PAC 12?

I also wonder about BYU recruiting. Being independent has meant great exposure, and that can help recruiting, but, if BYU doesn't land in a major conference, will they be able to recruit the 3 O-linemen, 1 D-lineman, and 1 corner that are keeping them from beating Wisconsin and the other upper eschelon teams? I don't think so.

I see the future brighter for BYU than Utah, but not by much.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Just Smiling makes a valid point - if you can't Utah, who can you beat?

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:57 a.m.

"... I’m not saying that I’ll be some sort of a savior."

Imagine the hue and cry from the ute faithful if a Cougar football player had said this.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:50 a.m.

Rockarolla,
    I know that Coach Whit is a good coach and moving up from the MWC to PAC12 was a huge jump! I think he should be given two more years to see how the better recruiting will help, but if they continue to be in the bottom of the conference and no wins over TDS to distract the faithful then it will be time to part ways and go in a different direction!!! When Coach Whit does leave he will make either a great head coach or DC somewhere else and Utah better hope it is not at another PAC12 school or BYU!!!

Go BYU Rise Up!!!

• Just Smiling BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Real Bass you are quite a work. Comparing apples to oranges. Qualifying for a bowl with a season of playing only one currently top 25 team (which BYU lost) while Utah had to play 5 currently top 25 teams is a cheap comparrison. The PAC-12 conference is the #1 conference in the nation. It's tough and yet Utah has been close often. Even playing Notre Dame is no big deal this year. Nothing in the top 25 there either. Could BYU beat Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Oregon or even Oregon State? I am sure not. They can't even beat Utah.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:42 a.m.

@Rockrolla
    The PAC 12 is the 2nd best conference in the county, ahead of the Big 10 and ACC. The non-conference record, and having 9 or possibly 10 team bowl eligible confirms that. Any rating system out there confirms tha PAC 12 as the #2 conference. The conference fared well against the SEC. WSU lost at Auburn 28-21 and Oregon blew out Tennessee. That's not an excuse for Utah, but it's the truth. I'm extremely frustrated with Whittingham too, but I have to give him one more season. Who would Utah get in his place? He's earned another season, if by nothing else, the 2008-2009 season.

@Tators
    Thanks Man; nice post. Hope all is well.

@BigUtahFan
    Most of the comments from BYU fans appear fairly accurate and positive. Nothing wrong with that. IMO

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:31 a.m.

BigUtahFan, nice excuse. When you have 2 guaranteed 'top tier' PAC QBs on your team, as proclaimed by your coach, don't come crying that Wilson's unfortunate situation is the reason your team can't win on the road as yet another season swirls down the toilet for your elite program. Three years in a row Ute fans have been telling us to mark down their arrival at the Rose Bowl and for 3 years in a row the pipe dream has gone up in flames. Not that U ever stood a snowball's chance in Phoenix of making the Rose Bowl in the first place.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:58 a.m.

If the Utes can't beat WSU and Colorado then Kyle has to go. I worry about this program. The PAC 12 isn't the best conference in the country. SEC the Big Ten, and maybe the ACC are a step above (in my opinion) and the Utes are at the bottom. We heard about how great their last two recruiting classes have been and they are getting worse not better. That translates to coaching. Kyle is not the answer and apparently neither is Dennis Erickson. Dennis needs to retire and Kyle needs to move on. Any other coach would have been on the hot seat after last year. Why does Kyle get a pass. Being in a big time conference demands a big time coach.

• BigUtahFan BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:45 a.m.

3 out of 4 comments are cougar fans? I would like any team in the country to replace their starting QB and see how that works out for them. 5 years of bad luck at the QB position has gotten Utah here. Misses on recrtuits like Brown and Eubanks has gotten them here. Injuries have plagued Utah this year, but Utah will bounce back win out and go to a bowl game.

GO Utes!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Spokene Ute is completely right. This season had both close wins and losses that could've made the season much better or worse. A lot of excitement as well as frustrations. Perhaps things overall have a way of balancing out.

It will tell a lot about the chararcter of this team in how they respond over the next 2 weekends. By winning out, they can still reach one of the original goals... to qualify for, and go to a bowl game. As such, it's still possible to end things on a fairly high note. As bad as things have been lately, that would still make this season more successful than last one.

Good luck, Utes.

• oddman ,
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:31 a.m.

I hate to see the Utes struggle like they have this year. I'm pulling for them to win out and get an invite to the Fight Hunger Bowl and see which Utah team will prevail with a second meeting. This could make the Cougars season special and could ease their previous 4 losses to Utah. Go Utes but Go faster and Cougs.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:26 a.m.

Finish strong; winning the last two and possibly going to a bowl game would be nice. Utah was pretty close to having a good season, and actually pretty close to having a worse season. The game at WSU will be a good matchup.

GO UTES!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:00 p.m.

Keeo dreaming murph the cougars will be bowling and your utes can go bowling ...at the local lanes!

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:27 p.m.

We wish it wasn't so, but the sad truth is, as the conference has gotten better, the Utes have gotten worse - 4-5, 3-6, 1-6. Most realistic fans knew that Utah probably blew its best chance to make a statement in the PAC when the Utes were embarrassed at home by a 10-loss Colorado team that hadn't won a road game in four years.

Utah fans are simply going to have to get used to the fact that the Utes will always be a middle of the PAC or bottom dweller in the conference, with little hope of ever challenging the big boys for a conference championship.

Once in awhile, the Utes will spring an upset on an upper echelon team like Stanford, but for the most part, they'll be fighting Washington State and Colorado for table scraps.

Good luck at Pullman.