Sports

Utah football: Quarterback Travis Wilson out for at least the season

Comments

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 23, 2013 8:30 a.m.

This is a wonderful thread that shows how sports fans sometimes have the ability to put things into perspective. This is a terrific, talented kid--who, like another talented and classy Ute QB (Jordan Wynn), had his dream cut down early because of injury. I am (like others have expressed) so happy that this was discovered before Travis sustained any permanent injury and I believe that if we hadn't been made aware of this by the documented cases of the last few years, (McMahon, Seau, Webster, Cal Beck and so many others) that it's likely Travis would have been told to man up and go stick his head in someones chest. Get better, kid! Whether you play another down or not, you are a true Ute and we were lucky to get to watch you play.

• bigpunisher303 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 20, 2013 2:11 a.m.

I hate that it takes something this serious to bring people together. I wished the BYU/UTAH rivalry only remained on the football field.

Travis Wilson, here's hoping that you have a speedy recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Respectfully,

Cougarnation

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:58 p.m.

As a BYU fan I want to wish Travis the very best and a speedy recovery. Our thoughts and are with you and your family.

Best of luck to you.

• BruinRay97 San Diego, CA
    Nov. 19, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Tough break for a very high character young man. Here's hoping for a complete recovery for you Mr. Wilson.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Thank you for your contributions to Utah football, Travis. I wish you nothing but the best!

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:50 p.m.

The poor Utes are snake bit this season like BYU was last year.

Bummer!

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:55 p.m.

Travis Wilson has comported himself well and has been a credit to his team win or lose. All the best for a speedy diagnosis and a full and wonderful life. I hope he is able to return to the game he loves. If not, I hope he looks forward, not backward and has an awesome future.

• Rirruto Nampa, Id
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:49 p.m.

I know its been said before, but from a lifelong Cougar fan, Good luck, and I hope you are healthy and able to play again.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:58 p.m.

Nothing but respect for Travis Wilson. I wish him nothing but the best.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:58 p.m.

It's interesting to note how many forms a blessing can take. As many posts above have stated, if not for the concussion the more subtle condition might never have been detected. It was indeed a thrill to watch Travis lead the Ute offense this season. In addition to be a first class young man, Travis is one tough competitor. His character, drive, and determination will take him far.

A heart felt 'thank you' from this Utah fan for your example on and off the field. You represented the University of Utah will class and dignity. It would be great to have you back on the field next year but your health comes before football. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Reading Coach's quotes on it from the team's website nearly brought tears to my eyes. Very disheartening to hear about this, and best wishes go out to the kid and his family at home as well as his family on the football field.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:25 p.m.

So sad to here that Travis's football career could be over, but glad that his condition was discovered before he suffered any more damage.

Wishing Travis well as he is recovering and hope he finds success in his future endeavors.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Hang in there Travis. When one door closes others open up.

• Wldflwr Lehi, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 5:24 p.m.

And another Coug fan: I hate to see it when any player suffers a concussion, but this one may have saved Wilson from suffering something more serious later on. Prayers are with you Travis!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:27 p.m.

From another Coug: Best wishes, Travis. I hope you recover fully and life is good to you. And, if all is well, I hope you return to the field. I enjoy watching your exciting style and talent. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Go Travis!!! Go Utes!!!

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:27 p.m.

I love the posters who before this came out were wanting him to get the boot, now it is a different story. I like the guy and his potential,....ute fans? Not so much.

• vcsheffield Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:25 p.m.

From another BYU fan wishing Travis all the best for a bright future. So sorry about this development.

• agb Layton, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Get well soon Travis!

• TXAfghanVet Dallas, TX
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:50 p.m.

I like to spar with the Ute fans as much as the next Coug, but this goes WAY beyond rivalry talk. I sincerely hope that Travis is able to overcome this. All the best to him and his family, and if he's able, I hope to see him back out on the field some day.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:51 p.m.

Such sad news. All of the sudden rivalries don't matter and the fragile nature of the athletes are much more important.

Travis, hopefully you will have a full recovery and be back to doing the thing you love best playing quarterback.

In any case good luck in your recovery.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:42 p.m.

TW! You are the man. Devastating news. Keep holding your head high. I want to personally thank Travis for providing some of the most exciting Utes football we've seen in years! His future is extremely bright. Whether in football or not, he'll continue touching lives as he already has.

Thanks, Travis Wilson! Here's to a speedy recovery. The whole of Ute Nation is pulling for you, brother.

Go TW! Go Utes!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:30 p.m.

You never want to see anyone get hurt. Get better soon. Football is just a game, your head is forever. Take care of it!

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:18 p.m.

From a BYU fan, I hope you get better quickly. Sorry to see this happen.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Best wishes go out to Travis and his family.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:10 p.m.

This BYU fan was so impressed with how you played against my cougars earlier this year. Your post game comments in victory epitomized class. I hope you have a complete recovery and can play next year and realize your potential.

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Best wishes Travis. Thank you for being a class act on and off the field. You have maturity beyond your years and deserve many more years of health and happiness. Our prayers go out to you for a full recovery and I'm glad they found this before more concussions or damage on the field could have led to more health problems in your future.

We see so many football players in their 40's & 50's suffering through health problems most of us never experience until our 70's. Football takes years off your life. It is time for the NCAA to deal with head trauma and I'm glad the NFL is finally addressing it.

Thanks to the BYU fans who have shown so much class and support to Travis too. Both sides talk so much trash, it tarnishes everything that is good about football and rivalries. When something like this happens, good to see everyone on both sides offer support and encouragement through an injury.

Best wishes Travis and thanks for being such a great young man and representative of the University of Utah.

• SEC Rules Seminole, FL
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:27 p.m.

From down South...

Get better soon.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:20 p.m.

To Travis and Ute nation
    Sorry to hear the news!! Playing college sports is great but your health is the most important thing!!! Good luck in your recovery and your life!!!

Go Utes Onward and Upward!!!

• bdjedi28 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Glad they found the problem before something more serious happened. Hope that he is okay and this won't negatively impact his life at all. Good luck Travis Wilson.

BYU fan

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Terrible news, hoping for a quick recovery for Travis.

I'm sorry but it's just the way these things are handled that does not appear to be forthcoming or is it just me?

From a hand injury to a concussion to this??? Wow.

Unbelievable Ute QB luck.

Wishing the best for Travis and his future.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:12 p.m.

That is a terrible thing to hear, let us hope he comes out of this healthy regardless of whether he ever plays football again.

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:06 p.m.

This is just a rumor on the Ute Board but since he received a concussion he had a head scan and found out his blood vessels in his brain are thinner than normal but it is treatable, but likely he is out for the season if he has this condition.

• SaltyDog Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:05 p.m.

From this BYU fan, this is pretty heart-breaking. Best of luck to him in his recovery!

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:03 p.m.

Not so much of a Utah fan but hope Travis can get the needed medical help and make a full recovery, even if it means he will not be able to play football again. There is more to life than football.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:51 p.m.

"re: The Rhett Wilkinson article.
    A public apology by the DN to Kyle Whittingham and the Ute Program would be appropriate."

ekute:

Not going to happen. That "commentary" was taken down AFTER news of Wilson's condition became public, and yet the comments remain.

DNews. Business as usual.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:49 p.m.

I hate to see season-ending injuries at any level- little league, high school, college or professional....by any player.

The Best to you in your future. Hopefully the diagnosis will be treatable and it sounds like it was good to catch it now. A good prognosis is deserved, in my view.

Good luck!

• EL TAB Orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:31 p.m.

From a BYU fan, I wish Travis and the Utes, the best. The young man's health supersedes any of our usual "rivalry nonsense!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:28 p.m.

I wish Travis a complete and full recovery. After seeing the documentary on PBS on concussions in football, this is no trivial matter. This young man has a whole life ahead of him outside of football. I hope he is able to enjoy many, many years of great health.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:17 p.m.

The best to Travis.

re: The Rhett Wilkinson article.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:16 p.m.

This is unfortunate news. Travis was a gutsy QB and always played with grit and determination which earned this BYU fans's respect. Get well Travis and best of luck. Hope to see you on the field again next year.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Wilson seems like a good kid with the right priorities. It sounds as though this is a medical condition that may have nothing to do with football so we should all lay off the "end of college football" talk. I agree that this concussion could save his life in the end. It was what got him the right scans to discover a more serious issue that's been silently lurking. As a cancer survivor, I know that blessings don't always feel like one at the time.
    Best of luck to Travis in all that he faces. He showed amazing potential as a QB but will now need his strong character more than ever. I'm a BYU fan but have total respect for his game as I watched him make accurate passes in tight traffic and great play all around. His hand injury slowed him down but that was just temporary. Good luck, Travis and speedy recovery & healing

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Very nice young man. Here's hoping he fully recovers. There's always next year for football and your team and that can all wait. Your health and recovery is the top priority.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Really bad and sad news. A real bummer. This will definitely hurt Utah's chances in their final 2 games and of possibly going bowling.

I'm a avid BYU and USU football fan. But I do pull for Utah whenever they aren't playing either of those 2 teams. It hurt to see them fall apart in the 2nd half of Saturday's game. Before then, a person could almost smell an upset coming on.

I truly believe that most BYU and USU fans will be sincerely hoping for a speedy and complete recovery for Travis. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and does have some very real talent.

In the meantime, I hope this bad news will motivate the Utes to win their last 2 games of the regular season as a tribute to Travis.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:09 p.m.

I really like Travis and wish him nothing but the best. Football is fun and Travis is a great QB but no game is worth endangering your long term neurological health over.

Best of luck to Travis and his family and friends.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:08 p.m.

BYU fan hoping all is well. Dealing with people in my own line of work with TBI this is something that should never be taken lightly.

I am glad that college football and NFL are paying more attention to the effects of TBI.

Get well Wilson, hope you can come back completely healthy.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:05 p.m.

That's a gut blow for the Utes, but terrible news for Travis. Very sorry to hear that. Always wish well to these young men and young women who work so hard to be great at what they do. I hope it is neither career ending or life challenging. Best wishes.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:03 p.m.

This has been such a disappointing season after so much promise at 4 - 2. However, something like this really puts into perspective the things that are most important in life.

This concussion sounds like it was a blessing in disguise if it led to the diagnosis of a more serious problem. Hopefully, Travis can recover and go on to success with or without football.

As always, Go Utes!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Apparently the doctors found something that may have been there since birth and could have put his life at risk if it hadn't been discovered. While it is disappointing facing the possibility of not being able to play anymore, it is good they diagnosed this before he had far more serious problems. Everyone should be grateful for that. Take care of yourself Travis, our thoughts are with you.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:46 p.m.

I hope he's all right. Man it's been a ruff year for the Utes. Utah seems to be jinxed at QB; just can't catch a break.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:46 p.m.

This is a difficult blow for Travis personally I am sure. You never like to be eliminated by a health concern beyond your control. Best of luck to him.

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Travis, we're all cheering for you now.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Sad to hear about Travis. Hope he makes a complete and full recovery.

Go Utes.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Travis Wilson, like Jordan Wynn before him, is a class guy, and even if his football career ends prematurely like Wynn's did, I hope he can leave the game without any bitterness and find something in life he can enjoy and be good at.

Even though I'm a BYU Fan, I want to send my very best wishes to Travis, his family and the entire Utah Ute team.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:34 p.m.

These things can be scary. Whatever it is, it's good they found it now rather than later.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Travis and his family.

And thanks in advance for thoughtful comments from the more classy BYU fans.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:34 p.m.

I am very thankful for the current awareness in sports regarding Brain Injuries. 20 years ago Travis would probably have been told to man up, and could have suffered permanent damage.

I hope that all things work out for this classy Ute!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:30 p.m.

BIG group hug from everybody to Travis! It has been a total thrill to watch you play every down this year! Win or lose, I have LOVED every bit of it.

Hoping for the best in the days to come!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:30 p.m.

What a disappointment to Ute Nation! I am not a Ute fan, but this kid had so much potential and showed so much early in his college career. If I am right, he had two more years to play college football and get even better than he already is. With his size and football intelligence, I could see him in the NFL. Above all, I hope he recovers well from whatever this is. Good luck young man!

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Ouch. I hope he recovers fully. I wonder if this head trauma issue is going to bring an end to college football.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:26 p.m.

All the best to you Travis. We hope you get the medical care and attention you need and that you are able to return to full strength next season.

Best wishes always,

A BYU Fan

• orem_man_am_i orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Terrible news.

Hopefully it is not career ending. Travis really looked like a young guy that had a bright future. He has the skills to become a great QB in the PAC 12 and possibly the NFL.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:24 p.m.

So sad for him. Football doesn't matter for him anymore. Couldn't be more proud of how he's handled himself with the hardest schedule in the entire country.

If he can get back on the field, GREAT. I would love to see HIM be the one to take us to the Pac 12 title game. If he can't, we certainly understand and support his health more than anything.

Go UTES!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:24 p.m.

This is sad to hear.
    Hopefully there are no long term effects.
    But being diagnosed as a season ender, I hope he makes the choices best for him.
    Have a good day.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Travis,

From this cougar fan to you, get better soon, and make sure you are 100% healthy before coming back. Good luck to you!