Sports

Jake Heaps loses starting job as the Kansas Jayhawks win their first Big 12 game in 28 tries

Comments

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 20, 2013 3:53 p.m.

Bummer.

I believe Heaps had the potential to be a big-time college QB. He had flashes of it the last part of his freshman year. What he seemed to have lost since then was his confidence.

Good luck getting it back, Jake.

• JDPeppers VISALIA, CA
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:48 p.m.

My guess is that his Dad is already in contact with the Coach at Whitworth University in Spokane, WA(Division III) where he will compete for the Starting QB this coming Spring.

This is all to Similar to one DREW MILLER.....Take a look at his info sheet on the BYU Athletic sight for Past Players.

I hope he can make work at the next level(DIII) and play in the Canadian League some Day!!!

• Zorro Bakersfield, CA
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:42 p.m.

Oldcougar- don't you remember he got married after his Freshman year? A mission is a ways off.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Nov. 19, 2013 11:51 a.m.

The football pH had to be way too perfect for Heaps to perform as we were promised. In the real world however, almost no quarterback has a perfect offensive line, defense, and special teams to work with. The great ones work with what they have and innovate.

I hope this is a lesson learned for Jake Heaps. While I'm not a football player, I once painfully had to learn this same kind of lesson for myself. It hurts to admit you're overrated, but it beats continuing on with the delusion, all the while wondering why outstanding success eludes you.

Fortunately, there is more to life than football. I'm sure Jake Heaps will figure things out and do just fine. Good luck, Jake!

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:57 a.m.

I don't feel sorry for any scholarship player. Free schooling and privelages that the average Joe doesn't get. I sure don't feel sorry for Heaps. Isn't a division 1 QB and isn't a team player or leader. He might be a decent high school qb coach, NOT!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:43 a.m.

If the ever egotistical Jake would have red-shirted his freshman year, his career may have turned out differently. Shucks. Sounds like the Olsen kid and his transfer to UCLA.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Nov. 19, 2013 6:07 a.m.

Thanks DesNews for including articles about Jake Heaps. I follow him every week and look for the articles in Kansas as well. I followed the game and took interest in Jake not starting. He's a fine young man and I wish him the very best in whatever and wherever he goes. For those who do not wish to follow Jake, please feel invited to not read nor comment. He is news to many, more so than Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus, whom I choose to ignore. Good luck Jake.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:31 a.m.

I must say that Heap's arrogance put me off a bit when he came to BYU but now I really feel sorry for the kid. I agree with the other commenters about leaving the poor kid alone.

• David Centerville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:31 p.m.

RepresentBlue,

An O line would have helped Heaps. But he is lacking still.

Did you see the game against Texas when he threw the interception? The Texas interceptor ran right by Heaps, who was walking off the field and made no effort at all to make a tackle. I can't imaging a QB not being frustrated towards the guy who just intercepted him and make an effort to bring him down.

Or did you see when Heaps tried to jump over the ball in the end zone (Utah game).

I don't know what was going on his Heaps head. Did he believe he was so valuable that he couldn't risk an injury? Was he afraid of getting hurt? I don't know. But whatever it was, it wasn't good for team play.

I am sure Heaps is a great guy.

I am liking our QB at BYU right now.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:14 p.m.

Um no he can not go on a mission he is married! People he can not pass, punt or kick let alone run the option offense.
    He has no "it" Heart people.
    Yes he is part of the BYU story.
    Heap's was that "GUY" the last "Pure passing QB" at the BYU.
    The Bronco uptempo offensive scheme's are the "Change of Identity" for the "NEW" BYU.
    The BYU is a QB factory, the Pistol/Diamond/Play action offense.
    BYU is now with mainstream of the NCAA Football landscape.

Jake you came to the NCAA a couple decades to late.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2013 5:12 p.m.

Jake can still serve a mission after he retires in his old age and come back and watch his grandkids play football.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Hopefully he succeeds at the most important thing in life which will be his wife and family. I can imagine this has been tough and stressful for them. I hope that he has a great life.

There are a lot of unsuccessful highly recruited quarterbacks all across the country. Notre Dame recruits them all the time . . . Dayne Crist and Jimmy Clausen come to mind. That doesn't mean that you should stick to 2 star quarterbacks, but I would say that coaches have the best barometer on whether or not quarterbacks have success. Taysom Hill was a 3 star quarterback out of high school, James Lark was a 4 star quarterback and played like one with the limited time that he received, and let's hope that Tanner Mangum (4 star quarterback) plays up to par because he is slated to be the future at BYU's QB when he comes home.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:24 p.m.

I actually like these articles because it gives me the opportunity to keep pointing out that 5 star recruits and membership in a BCS conference are the two most overrated things in college sports today.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:18 p.m.

@ Chris B:

When BYU beat Texas earlier this year, you kept telling us how bad the Big 12 is and that they aren't a "prestigious" conference like the PAC12. And now you are trying to tell us that that is all it takes to make Heaps happy... inclusion in the Big 12 conference... in spite of the fact that Jake is no longer starting.

Baloney. I hope it doesn't hurt when you speak out of both sides of your mouth, because that is exactly what you are doing.

Jake was always all about Jake. That is why he never seemed happy whenever BYU won when Riley was the qb... and why he transferred while the team was still doing well. A team player doesn't do those things.

I assure you that being on a team in the Big 12 is the last thing Jake is currently concerned about.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:15 p.m.

For those of you who are critical of Jake, remember this:

Jake is a human being, not some object to be criticized and made fun of. He has hopes and dreams just like you do. Sure, he made some mistakes, but who hasn't? I live in Washington State. He was great in High School. He did a very good job his freshman year at BYU. It wasn't until Anae left that problems began to develop. It was obvious that Brandon Doman was a very good QB coach but needed more time to grown into the OC job.

Jake just needs a good team with good targets and a decent offensive line. Give him that and he would be fine. Problem is that Jake needs that now so he can develop into an NFL QB, something that probably will not happen in his current situation.

Just remember, Jake is somebodies son, brother, husband, etc. and many of them read these comments. Don't say something here that you would not say to their faces.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:17 p.m.

With this one receiving nearly 40 comments in the first 12 hours since it first appeared, like it or not, we should all be prepared for more Jake Heaps updates going forward.

• nairbnosral American Fork, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:12 p.m.

@oldcougar

What would his wife do while he's out on a mission? He got married between his freshman and sophomore year...

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:46 a.m.

What? Where was the pompous press conference at a bar? Did Jayhawk fans start to backtrack their boasting about winning Heisman's and National Championships? Can't believe I missed this, so glad the Des News is still covering the almighty one!

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Good point, OldCougar. I hadn't thought of that, but I still think he has some football days left in his future. Thanks oddman for voicing what I have felt. I tried to find news about Jake many times but only recently has the DN given me what I wanted to know. Good luck, Jake!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:20 a.m.

@ crheadog
    No it was a comment aimed at a disrepectful post, I cheer for the U and the Y.
    Utah is a good team that has played a tough schedule.
    BYU has a schedule in the top 15% of college football and have 7 wins.
    That is impressive. Utah has an impressive shedule, but are not bowl eligible.
    They did not beat me (I was involved in college athletics, but not at the Y) I am not on the team.
    What is dumb is bragging about beating a rival but not competing in conference.
    And it is true BYU is bowl eligible and the U is not.
    Simple fact.
    Have a good day.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:11 a.m.

I will say this ...Jake was afforded every opportunity at Kansas to prove himself and he just didn't get it done. I watched several Jayhawk games and Heaps didn't play well in any of them. He looked tentative - his throws were off target and he turned the ball over far too many times. I was really surprised to see Jake play so poorly. Charlie Wise gave Jake every chance to solidify his starting role and Jake simply didn't get it done. The window of opportunity opens then closes when you don't play well as a QB. Jake may be finished as a starter going forward. I think Heaps problems are not physical - they are more mental not being composed as a QB and not seeing the field. Robert Anae seemed to have Jake on a role at the end of his freshman year in the bowl game ...too bad we didn't get to see that continue.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Isn't it time to stop talking Jake Heaps in Utah?

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:06 a.m.

oldcougar: He's married. I don't see him coming back after a mission.

• Jer-Bear Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:54 a.m.

I wish him the very best! Also, not all of us, but MOST of us have heard about all we care to about Heaps...More news, simply sounds like he's being kicked while he's down---

• crheadog USA, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:30 a.m.

BESMART dumb comment aimed towards a team that has beat you 9 of the last 12. Every loss utah mounts up just looks bad on your team after you get beat by us. it shows up everytime you play a team comparable to teams we play. Wisconsin, ND. dumb!

• crheadog USA, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Jake has a monster arm an could have been a great asset for the right team. Wisconsin is a perfect fit for a QB like Jake. Huge Oline and a feirce running attack that does not include your QB running the ball. To bad he was not smart enough to realise who he is and were he needed to go. His choices ruined his carrer.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:53 a.m.

The prevailing BYU fan attitude towards Heaps is either pity or complete indifference.

I would think Ute fans would feel some kinship with the kid. Since joining the PAC 10.2, the TUN has "accomplished" approximately as much as Jake has in your respective BCS conferences. I don't know him, but I tend to doubt he's as jazzed about being able to simply hang around the fringes with the "cool kids" as certain of you seem to be. I'm guessing he expected to actually accomplish some stuff.

"I LOVE my BCS membership!"

If anyone locates a clip of Jake on camera saying this, please forward the link. It's much more likely you'll find plenty of video of him staring blankly into space from the Kansas sideline or clinging defensively to his scrapbook of high school press clippings.

As for his future pro prospects, stop it. Just . . stop it. I would love to see him succeed in whatever career path he chooses, but his pro aspirations are about as realistic as Robbie Bocso's . . the current 50 year-old version.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:49 a.m.

@Reno Cougs Fan 68

It does not "prove" anything other than Jake has struggled in both systems which have both struggled with their O-line. Heaps was never cut out for an offense without good pass protection. We will never know what kind of improvements he could have made at BYU if their O-line had not been so horrible the last four years. Max Hall, who has more wins than any other QB to play at BYU, would have struggled as well if he had played behind the O-line BYU that has fielded since he graduated. There is a reason why BYU has played running QB's like Nelson and Hill since then. It is because their O-line cannot provide adequate protection for a pocket passer like Beck, Hall and Heaps. The bottom line is Heaps had his chances at both BYU and KU, but neither of those chances were particularly well suited for his abilities, and we will never know what kind of QB he could have been at BYU if the O-line was better. My personal belief is he could have been as good as Hall, but not as good as McMahon or Detmer.

• MizzouBlue Carthage, MO
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Enough already with Jake Heaps. I wish him the best, but don't want to continue reading about his troubles. Thanks.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:34 a.m.

@oldcougar

Jake is married so he would have to wait a long time before he can serve a senior mission.

• Levin Reno, NV
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:34 a.m.

oldcougar, the Church doesn't usually call young married men on missions.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:33 a.m.

@ Chris B
    BYU has achieved what all Utah fans want.
    A winning season

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:30 a.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

Heaps did achieve something that byu fans everywhere want: Big 12 inclusion.
    ===

Not everyones dream is to sit at the cool table, and suck up to the rich kids as they beat them down week in and week out.
    ------------

oldcougar
    Orem, UT

He could still serve a mission,

===

Ummm, Heaps' is married.

Some people are comfortable being who they are.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:53 a.m.

He could still serve a mission, grow up a little, then come back and try again. I wish him all the very best.

• oddman ,
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:44 a.m.

I have soughtg out news of Heaps every single week and I don't live in Utah nor have any strong opinion re his abilities. That being said I am so glad to get news of him in Dnews. Thanks. It is obvious that his heart doesn't match what many believed were his outstanding athletic tools. There is an intangible often referred to "it" that he obviously doesn't have. Hope his education prepares him for life's struggles that nearly all mankind encounters.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:26 a.m.

"Anyone can hand the ball off." Darn, I always wanted to play big-time football, and only now I learn how easy it is to be a successful hand-off quarterback.

Fact is, Cozart is a successful OPTION quarterback, so of course he has specific skills that made him successful on Saturday. Unfortunately, Heaps has not shown the skills at Kansas to be successful as any kind of quarterback.

By the way, hobbes, Heaps is definitely "apart of [from]" from BYU, although he certainly is no longer "a part of" BYU.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Heaps did achieve something that byu fans everywhere want: Big 12 inclusion.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:11 a.m.

"I feel sad for Jake. He deserved better. He made a mistake coming to BYU and compounded it by making a mistake by going to Kansas of all places."

Really??

Heaps got a "fair shot" at both BYU and Kansas and couldn't capitalize. Sad but true.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:08 a.m.

" ...... I feel bad for Jake, but he should have stayed here at BYU ..... "

Why??

But, I guess Charlie Weis (like the Bronco haters said about Bronco), didn't know how to develop a future all-american quarter back.

Baloney.

Heaps just didn't have it at BYU, nor did he have it at Kansas. That's the reality.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:09 a.m.

I think what this article proves is that all the BYU and Bronco haters were wrong about the whole Jake Heaps and BYU situation!!! We kept hearing all about how Heaps was mistreated and was giving no chance at BYU and how his change to Kansas would prove that!!! As the old saying goes the proof is in the pudding and Bronco and the other BYU coaches were right about Jake!!!

Go BYU Rise Up!!!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:52 a.m.

I feel sad for Jake. He deserved better. He made a mistake coming to BYU and compounded it by making a mistake by going to Kansas of all places. It's too late for him now, he'll just be a footnote in the history of Cougar football. But I still remember the Jake who was player of the game in his freshman season bowl. I remember how he could throw the ball. I'm sure had he known that Brandon Doman was going to be the OC, he would have gone to Washington. I think we look at him and think what could have been...make that should have been.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:51 a.m.

Maybe he's just not that good folks. He's had more chances at making a difference at BYU and Kansas. I watched a couple games this year while flipping through channels, he just isn't that accurate and the team did not move the ball with him calling signals.

He knew what he signed up for 2 years ago when he left. Had he stayed, imagine what this BYU team would be screaming about. Too bad for him. Unless the new qb gets hurt, he won't see another down in college football again unfortunately.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:47 a.m.

FaifeauSam

If you are interested in Jake Heaps than it is as simple as going to the Kansas news sites to learn about him. But since he is no longer apart of BYU or the state of Utah, why is Dnews still writing articles about him? I never said he was a lost cause, but we dont need to hear about his weekly games at Kansas.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:35 a.m.

"it really wouldn't have mattered who the QB was since most of the yardage was on the ground."

The why couldn't Jake hand the ball off?

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:12 a.m.

Hey, Hobbes and Souptwins, maybe some of us are interested in Heaps' play. He was a capable young QB at BYU and could have progressed. Granted Hill is the QB for the BYU system now, but like USNGary said, it really wouldn't have mattered who the QB was since most of the yardage was on the ground. What kind of team did Kansas beat and now they get a weak Iowa team to finish the season. Is there any possibility that Heaps will be able to move into a D2 program and do well? He still has plenty of football life left and we have all seen D2 or D3 QBs make it in the NFL or CFL. Don't bury him as a lost cause!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:09 a.m.

Some of life's lessons are very difficult to learn. I'm sure this is a tough one for Jake. Wishing him the best with his back up plan for life.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:18 a.m.

Honestly Dnews, enough with the Jake Heaps updates. He is no longer apart of BYU football and he isnt a Utah native, so why are we recieving weekly updates? Leave the poor kid alone.

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:16 p.m.

sounds to me it wouldn't have made a difference who was at quarterback since it was a running game. Anyone can hand the ball off.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Nothing against Jake, but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a D1 QB. Staying at BYU would not have helped him. I wish him the best in the remainder of his life.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:20 p.m.

While at BYU he was a pre-communications major but hard to say if he kept it at KU. Sounds very familiar that he lost his starting job to a dual threat QB. Still seems warped that the DNews feels it necessary to report how he did after every game. Leave the poor kid alone already.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:19 p.m.

I was hoping Jake would be a phoenix in Kansas, but I'm guessing he has lost the starting nod unless there is injury.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:14 p.m.

I feel bad for Jake, but he should have stayed here at BYU. Hope he has a good major to get a good job after college is over.