Sports

Utah Utes football: Ducks not invincible, but have Utah's respect

Comments

• Utefan4Lyf West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 12:35 p.m.

I've decided that I love the term "frantic and emotional" when reading comments on these boards. For the most part, I can't imagine either either fan base getting either frantic or emotional, with the exception of a couple. I, myself, have never gotten charged up and decided to express myself here. Bemused may be a good expression, even mildly irritated. But, frantic and emotional? No.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 11:41 a.m.

@ cougsndawgs

"The experts see BYU's football team as pretty good, but don't think much of the utes as a program. Those are facts...U can decide how to deal with them"

No, that's you're delusional spin.

Utah has, by far, the most impressive win.

BYU has, by far, the most embarrassing loss.

In the game that is played on the field, rather than in your head, Utah owns BYU. Every year.

THOSE are examples of facts. Feel free to continue to deal with it by obsessing over and trolling articles about Utah football.

LOL!

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Cougsndawgs

Sagarin's Rankings:

#19 BYU(6-3) SOS #10
    #29 Utah(4-5) SOS #1

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:27 a.m.

"And by the way, was that Texas game before or after you were beating Middle Tennessee Dental college, or losing to Virginia?"

No it was before Utah got pounded by double digits against a pretty weak Arizona team. Again, BYU has the 13th ranked SOS in the country. Yes, please do try and keep up, and give the SOS arguments a rest. As with everything else the experts think BYUs SOS is just fine, and see their football team as pretty good. They think highly of Utah's SOS as well (rightfully so) but don't think too much of the utes as a program. Those are facts...U can decide how to deal with them.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 10:37 p.m.

@ Cougsndawgs

"Truthsandwich:
    And who was Utah playing when BYU played Big 12 leading Texas? Oh that's right Weber State. Give it a rest."

Yes, and you know what I didn't do that week? Get on byu articles and laugh at the teams they were playing. I'm only responding to your fellow "fans". Try to keep up.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:37 p.m.

Truthsandwich:

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:39 p.m.

@sammyg

"Win or lose seeing the Ute fans getting frantic and emotional over Washington St and Colorado is going to be fun!

Bring on the drama!"

Don't you mean "Bring on the bengals!"?

Because that's who your team plays this weekend.

I guess I'd be jealous too.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:34 p.m.

@ Chris B

Chris, you say "We will go bowling", then you say "If we go bowling" in the same sentence. Which is it?
    Why your at it, Y the obsession with BYU? Also you sure like to LOL a lot on your posts - whats so funny? Utah isn't doing well, but I see a lot of LOLs?

LOL

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:31 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Haha ok, keep hypocritically angsting over that angst!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Go Ducks!

With the Ducks winning this weekend it will set up another dramatic desperate dash for conference dweller respect!

Bring on the drama!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:50 p.m.

@truthsandwhich

I have a lot of fun with utah "fan" hypocrisy and angst. If that is "in my head" then so be it because it is definately a good time for me.

LOL!

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Whatsnu,
    I love a classic fairy tale. Thanks for reminding us all where the utes stand this weekend. In fact I might just rent the movie and watch it since I can't watch the utes on tv.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:16 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

"I actually do that a lot. I take posts from utah "fans" that they make on BYU articles, I change the names from BYU to utah and repost it on a utah article that is about a similar situation."

Speaking of things that are sad and pathetic, I just heard Wilson won't be able to play tomorrow, along with York and Norris. Hopefully Shulz can step it up, and our D can keep things close so we can take some positives into our remaining two Pac 12 games, which should both be winnable.

GO UTES!!

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:11 p.m.

@Big Sky Fan

Truth is Whit is better than Mendenhall. There's no disputing it. Just check the head to head record. I think Whit will get the McBride here within a couple years, unless he can turn this ship around, which i highly doubt he will. He's been great but is showing he can't take the program to the next step. YBU is happy with their very mediocre coach because they're a very mediocre team. They'll never be a serious threat under a coach who has football as his #5 priority.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:53 p.m.

Breaking News:

Travis Wilson has a concussion and didn't make the trip to Oregon.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Samurai Jake

Utah alum can't help U beat the Ducks.

btw, why are Utah fans so obsessed with totally irrelevant factoids?

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:41 p.m.

Ufan

"So you're saying there's a chance."

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?

Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...

Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:21 p.m.

"Utah alum playing DEFENSE in the NFL have scored more touchdowns than byu alum playing Offense in the NFL."

Chris B, thanks for sharing this awesome fact with us! Go Utes!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Chrissy -

NO matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it is still a pig.

Oregon 63
    utah 3

lol.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:11 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Sorry, I clearly don't follow Chris B as closely as you do, certainly not his comments on BYU articles as I rarely spend any time there. But you have successfully proved a couple of things with your last two comments:

1) You really want to pass off beating Texas as being comparable to a victory over Stanford this season. It isn't.

2) Chris B, the Utes, and their fans have set up shop in your head.

You seem to be taking four in a row harder than most. But thanks for keeping up with Utah sports!

LOL

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 1:48 p.m.

@truthsandwhich

You obviously missed the irony. My post was actually an almost word for word post from one your own christina b posted about BYU and their victory over texas. I simply changed the names of the schools involved and a couple of other minor things to make it fit utah's situation. I actually do that a lot. I take posts from utah "fans" that they make on BYU articles, I change the names from BYU to utah and repost it on a utah article that is about a similar situation.

But LOL at you for lashing out at me for using a utah "fans" words. LOL!

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Nov. 15, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Like it Big Sky Fan. The mighty swoops will go 6-6 and watch alot of bowl games on TV.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 1:03 p.m.

I love watching Utah play Pac 12 football. Every week is exciting.

We've already beaten the best team in the Pac. Stanford has shown Oregon's offense can be stopped. No, I wouldn't bet on Utah, especially after the offensive debacle at USC. But it's exciting to have these opportunities, and this team has already shown that anything is possible.

GO UTES!

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 12:39 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

"oregon proved to be not all it was hyped to be by losing to a stanford team that in turn lost to an extremly poor utah team"

I love how much it bothers you that Utah beat a great Stanford team this year!

How did your cougs do against that "extremely poor" Utah team?

How do they do every year?

I'll give you a hint: it's why you're obsessed with and troll articles about Utah football.

What is Stanford currently ranked, anyway? Thanks in advance!

LOL

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 12:27 p.m.

duck,

You'll get a close up look at the middle of the Pac12 when the cougars get stomped in the fight hunger bowl.

hedgefog,

byu "fan" logic: every time that Utes lose in the PAC 12 it makes up for the Utes football domination of the cougars.

• Big Sky Fan Ogden, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 12:10 p.m.

@ Chris B

"Utah Will go bowling and IF we do"

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Shouldn't it read?, "Utah WILL go bowling and WHEN we do"

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:56 a.m.

@ Chris B
    I hope Utah makes is to 6-6, but they probably will not make a bowl game if they do.
    Almost all conferences are going to fill their bids. The couple bowls that are going to have to find replacements are contractually obligated to get a team from a different conference.
    So the Utes are probably not going bowling, what Utah needs to hope for is that Fresno and NIU lose boosting Wisconsin into the BCS to open up the Heart of Dallas Bowl may open up.
    58 teams are currently bowl eligible for 70 slots 14 teams that are 1 win away with most of those with 3 games to play.
    The Utes are 2 games away with 3 to play.
    I would say the chances of Utah in a bowl are pretty slim. Even at 6-6 if they make it too that.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:54 a.m.

I won't make a prediction on this game. oregon proved to be not all it was hyped to be by losing to a stanford team that in turn lost to an extremly poor utah team. It would appear utah "fans" are correct when they claim the top of the pac12 and the bottom of the pac12 are not so far apart. It is just unfortunate that the top of the pac12 is so far below the top of the sec, acc, big ten....

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Big Sky,

No, I'm quite pleased with Whittingham. He's taken us to an undefeated season, top 2 in the country, beat Alabama in a bowl game, helped earn us a prestigious BCS conference invite, has beaten end of season top 10 teams.

Things Bronco has never done, nor will ever do.

Here is another fun fact:

LOL!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Christine,

Utah WILL go bowling, and if we do, would you rather have a fifth shot at Utah in the last 4 years, or would you rather the teams not meet, just to save your fans base the embarrassment of setting a new NCAA record for being the first team EVER to lose five times to their rival in 4 years?

LOL

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 10:50 a.m.

Let see, using ute logic u>Stanford>Oregon therefore to even the most casual observer u>Oregon.
    No need to even play the game tomorrow. (And it might be best for the sorry, no good, one loss Ducks to not even show up against the way superior cellar dwellers)

Once again Chrissy, thanks for the off topic comparison to BYU. Impressive how you can continually get off topic spews approved by the DNews comment police.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Nov. 15, 2013 10:47 a.m.

Chris B

"Considering Bronco has NEVER beaten a team that ends the season in the top 10...blah, blah, blah."

Considering BYU isn't playing Oregon tomorrow, it doesn't really matter whether you think Utah's chances of beating Oregon would be better than BYU's, does it? But, just for giggles...

Considering Kyle has NEVER beaten Oregon, 0-1 with a 24-31 loss, while Bronco has stomped Oregon, 1-0 with a 38-8 win, I'd say that BYU's chances would be infinitely higher than Utah's if BYU were playing Oregon.

Kyle has NEVER won a road game against a PAC team that finished with a winning record, let alone versus an AP Top 10 team.

In fact, Kyle is WINLESS in NINE tries on the road versus AP Top 25 teams.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I was running an errand last night and turned on 1280 and listened to the Utah show...not sure who the analysts are or what the show is called I've never listened to it before. One of the commentators on the show hit the nail on the head...Utah has MWC caliber coaches trying to run a PAC12 program. While Whit has certainly had some impressive victories, he's had just as embarrassing losses in magnitude. He hasn't shown any ability to maintain a winning program against BCS competition. All we ever hear from him is "we face good QBs every week in the PAC12", and "this is a tough league", a "grind". Isn't it obvious that Whit has placed the league Utah plays in on a pedestal...he's like a deer in the headlights, and can't handle the bright lights of big time football on a weekly basis. You can't idolize the league you play in and compete in that league at the same time. If Utah is ever competitive in the PAC12 (big if anyway), it will not be with their current coaching staff.

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:23 a.m.

Come on Cougar fans, be nice. I know they aren't nice to us, but they are our brothers. I wish I could offer any hope for Utah in this game, but it will probably be as close as the BYU-ISU game. Utah does a good job of getting up for these big games though. BYU wouldn't have a chance either. Can I still hold out hope for a BYU-Utah rematch in the Kraft Bowl?

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Oregon 55
    Utah 13

• Big Sky Fan Ogden, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:04 a.m.

@ Chris B

When mentioning the above Stat (Bronco vs Whit top 10 wins. All you are doing is just making a great point how far the U of U program has fallen since 2008.

Thanks for reminding us!!!

I'm sure Whit appreciates your comments letting him know that his program has gone onward and downward.

• Big Sky Fan Ogden, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:00 a.m.

@ Chris B

So when Whit gets fired in the next 2 years and Bronco remains the head coach for BYU are we still going to get your top 10 win statistics then? Doesn't matter if Whit has more top 10 wins than Bronco if he can't sustain it over the long run and he loses his job.

BYU fans are happy with Bronco, Ute fans not so much with Whit!

Mark it down.

Whit will get fired!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 8:47 a.m.

FAX,

Considering Bronco has NEVER beaten a team that ends the season in the top 10, but Whittingham has(3 times at the conclusion of this season), I'd say Utah's chances are infinitely higher than byU's would be if they were playing Oregon.

Wins against end of season top 10 teams for Whit

TCU 2008
    Alabama 2008
    Stanford 2013(assuming Stanford's ranking stays under 10, which seems almost certain)

Bronco's wins against end of season top 10 teams:

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Nov. 15, 2013 8:01 a.m.

It will be a moral victory if the Utes can come home having lost by no more than four touchdowns. There will be a stadium full of angry duck fans looking to redeem the humiliating loss they suffered against Stanford and who better to take their ruffled feathers out on than the only team to hand Stanford a loss.

I see this as an Oregon victory but less than the four touchdown win that the odds makers show.

Oregon 49
    Utah 24

Be proud Utah, moral victories build character and lead into the final two games where victories guarantee a bowl game.

• RDLV Costa Rica, 00
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:51 a.m.

Let's hope the Ducks have that same mind set and then there really could be a chance. I'm not holding my breath but stranger things have happened.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:39 a.m.

54-10

Mark it down!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:16 p.m.

@ufan

A slim one....

• Fight On! St George, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:02 p.m.

If this game was being played in SLC, I would give Utah a chance. But they just cant beat a good team on the road. And Oregon will be eager to make a big statement after their fall from grace.

Oregon 49
    Utah 10

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:27 p.m.

Just the FAX

So you're saying there's a chance.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:17 p.m.

The Utes are 8-18 versus the Ducks and haven't beaten Oregon in Autzen Stadium since 1994, which is also the last time the Utes beat an AP Top 25 team on the road.

The Utes haven't beaten an AP Top 10 team on the road since they beat #7 Colorado in Boulder in 1961.