Sports

Commentary: Looks like BYU can recruit in the West Coast Conference after all

Comments

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:46 p.m.

I'm sure the winning tradition also has something to do with players choosing the Y over teams a-x!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:28 p.m.

"no one can remove the hate from your soul, only you."

Not that Ducky, et al, won't try to stoke the fire all they can.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:05 p.m.

Let me throw in another little tid bit. You Utah fans go look at your TV schedule for Football and Basketball. Then compare it with BYU's TV schedule. Literally every game BYU plays is on TV. That includes the ESPN and an occasional CBS or NBC Channel. BYU tv is even viewed on the space station. Their Pre-season schedule includes teams than many consider to be very good. PAC 12 is a good schedule but BYU also regularly plays those teams and does win most of the time. If I were choosing between Utah and BYU, I don't see a choice. Yes, Many LDS people and players go to Utah but the atmosphere is totally different at BYU. Utah is an excellent institution. Medically there are only a couple of places you can go that might be better. They have excellent engineering and bio-chemistry, I believe. BYU also has numerous top notch schools available. Its the environment.
    Jeff

• OremUte Orem, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:04 p.m.

I would have to agree with Ken. I think that BYU is able to get the players because of who they are/winning recently. I don't think the WCC has help them at all. That being said I haven't seen a major drop off either, so it doesn't appear to be hurting them either.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:43 p.m.

Backtalk: since 1980 BYU is 8-2 against big 12 teams in football. So, I beg to differ that they could not compete in that conference.

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:30 p.m.

Ute got owned!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:09 p.m.

@lifelongute

The angst utah "fans" like yourself feel over your dislike for BYU is an interesting thing for me to witness. I understand that hating one of the most important institutions of the church causes many utah "fans" a great inner conflict, and they try to rationalize that hate, and diminish their inner conflict, by calling BYU, or its students, or its fans, "holier than thou", or other such cuts. It must be difficult. I feel bad that you put yourself through that sort of turmoil but you are going to have to fix it within yourself, no one can remove the hate from your soul, only you.

• n8rix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Do they play basketball at Utah still?

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Cant we just enjoy what "is" and not worry about what "could be"?

BYU could not compete in the BIG 12 in football or basketball. Lets jut enjoy the success they are having now. The glass is really half full and could get better. I would simply like to see BYU get into a scheduling agreement with another quality conference which could be the Pac 12 since so many BYU fans all live in the cities these schools come from. Add in some of the top teams in the MWC (Boise SDSU and UNLV) and things are very competitive.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:56 a.m.

For certain, BYU falls into the same category as Notre Dame, Bob Jones University, Oral Roberts, et al. A religiously affiliated University.

Unlike Oral Roberts, Bob Jones, et al., BYU also stands for rigorous scientific education. No "Creation Science". No Bible inerrancy. They teach the same science curriculum at BYU that I studied at Washington. Notre Dame is pretty secular in its academics, so is BYU. I assume ND also teaches Catholic values and probably has an affiliated seminary. Yale and Harvard have Divinity Schools.

BYU professors are free to discuss religion even in their science courses, if they want to. Not sure about Notre Dame. Is it a coincidence that the two Mormons in the GOP primary where the only ones who accept evolution and "trust the scientists" on global warming? (yes I now Huntsman did not go to BYU). I expect that friction exists between the school of religion and the sciences and liberal arts. Goes without saying. But Religion does not trump science education or research.

I respect that. I think BYU is an excellent university. My daughter went to BYU and loved it. And she was taught evolution and science from a very early age.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:45 a.m.

@ lifelong Ute
    Other universities do stand for greatness.
    But do they stand for BYU religion
    Do they stand for BYUs honor code.
    I agree there are plenty of righteous people that attend all other Universities.
    Dastrup said that BYU is where he feels comfortable
    because of the honor code environment and his religion and that is what BYU is and stands for.
    I meant no malice towards another university.
    That is why he chose BYU over Ohio State.
    Have a good day.

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:56 a.m.

@Lifelong Ute

You say:

"He says "because of what Byu is and stands for" meaning byu stands for something that others do not."

I find this logic faulty. Because BYU "stands for" something doesn't mean "that others do not". Where did this zero-sum analysis come from? So because BYU stands for no alcohol, Southern Virginia University or BYU-Idaho/Hawaii cannot be alcohol free?

This isn't a race for land, where only one person can own it. BYU can publicize their values and other can stand for them as well.

As a BYU grad, I have to agree with Y Grad/ Y Dad all the way. Just because the Honor Code is a "rule" doesn't mean I followed it kicking and screaming. I love everything about BYU and it was a blessing and a blast to attend there. BYU isn't perfect, nor its student body, but to say we follow the Honor Code just because it is a rule undercuts the moral fiber of most of the student body. I chose BYU fully knowing the Honor Code exists and although having the opportunity to have a "real" college experience, I wanted the BYU experience.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:06 p.m.

What BYU "is" is a university that offers a Christ-centered education.

What BYU "stands for" is an educational community where students and faculty voluntarily commit to live by a set of Christ-centered standards.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Lifelong

Sorry bro, but I too respectfully disagree with you. Other universities are not "filled" with righteous students. This is as much of an exaggeration as if I were to say BYU is "filled" with righteous students, but I would hope that we could both agree that in general, there are fewer unrighteous students at the Y than at, say, Washington State.

I also take exception to the characterization that because BYU students have a rule, they don't necessarily stand for something more than the average student somewhere else. The mis characterization comes from implying that BYU students are obedient because they have to be. BYU students agree, of their own free will, to abide by a higher standard. If, after agreeing to abide by a higher standard, they then choose otherwise, there are consequences.

Some other students at other universities may also choose the same standard. Many don't.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:10 p.m.

souptwins,

He says "because of what Byu is and stands for" meaning byu stands for something that others do not. If the others stand for the same values, what is the advantage that byu has that causes them to get these players?

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:17 p.m.

@Lafe

I'm one who reamins unconvinced BYU is a permenant fixture in the WCC, and I'm even suspicious that was Dave Rose's final recruiting pitch in this instance, that in "all possability" BYU just might be in the Big 12 by the time many in this latest recruiting class complete missionary service and put on that BYU jersey in 2016 and play the likes of Kansas, Texas or Baylor as opposed to Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, Santa clara etc...

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:46 p.m.

LifelongUte--- You're right that many universities stand for good things which is why I didn't think there was anything "self righteous" about what Be Smart said. That same statement could have been made by many fans from many schools yet, you choose to read in a religious element whether it was meant or not. It often seems that BYU fans are the only ones in the country not allowed to be traditional fans, which by the way, is short for "fanatic".

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:30 p.m.

Lifelong Ute

Nobody said their weren't righteous people at other universities, but very few major universities even come close to promoting the standards expected of students attending BYU.

Compare the "honor code" promoted by BYU with the "core values" posted in Utah's brand new sports training facility - the differences are stark.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Ken

The proper comparison, Top 40 recruiting class rankings for 2013 and 2014:

BYU - 2013 #14, 2014 #24 (four ESPN100, four 4-star, four 3-star recruits)

Utah - 2013 unranked, 2014 #30 (one ESPN100, two 4-star, two 3-star recruits)

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:03 p.m.

And these recruits have to show little brother how to go on the road and dominate a PAC school. BYU has defeated Arizona (twice), Oregon, Washington, and now Stanford comfortably in the last few years (all but one at home). Keep your heads up lil' bro, your non-conference slate will get you ready for those big boys.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 6:00 p.m.

Thomas Jefferson,

Other universities are filled with just as righteous people as byu, and they do it without telling the world how righteous they are. What's something specific byu "stands for" that Utah or other schools don't? And no, a rule is not the same thing as standing for something. What is a specific value that byu stands for that other schools don't?

Again, don't confuse a rule with standing for something.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:06 p.m.

@BeSmart,

Watch the holier than thou attitude. Many universities are great and stand for greatness. By saying byu has gotten these great players because of that implies the other universities don't stand for similarly great things. Keep it to because of byu's success lately in basketball. Then you wont be so self righteous.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Ken

The recruiting quandary that seems to be baffling jealous Utah fans is this:

BYU recruits players to play for BYU, not the WCC.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Ken

More petty jealousy and spin; even as a member of the PAC 12, Utah never has, and never will, even come close to matching the recruiting of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan State, and Louisville.

When was the last time the Utes were able to pick up four members of the ESPN100 in back-to-back recruiting classes?

TFUDD

Same tired, jealous argument that BYU recruits only pick BYU because they were life-long BYU fans. The exact same argument could be made for thousands of recruits every year, that they picked school x because they were life-long fans of school x.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:32 p.m.

correction to my wording: If byu were in the MWC still or Pac 12.

Not "if byu were in the mwc or Pac 12 still"

• fan in orem Orem, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:30 p.m.

We are looking forward to great things from these new recruits and from Coach Rose for many years to come.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:25 p.m.

@ Ken
    I agree with your analysis.
    BYU is getting great recruits right now because of what BYU is and stands for.
    Not the conference.

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:11 p.m.

@Peavler

Thanks for the low blow to the utes!

Yeah BYU has done a great job of recruiting the last few years so i'll give you that. I'm willing to bet though that Haws, Mika and Emery all grew up big BYU fans. Of course with Utah still recovering from the Rose era they are going to choose BYU. Even if the Utes were as good as the Bogut years I still think they would've chosen BYU. Those three were going to go to BYU even if BYU was mediocre.(I say that because BYU is a good basketball).

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:04 p.m.

For a proper comparison, the question was never "Will byu be able to get good players" but "How will the WCC impact recruiting" The difference being, what would recruiting be like if BYU were in the MWC or Pac 12 still? Would it be better, worse, or the exact same? If BYU were in the Big 12 or Pac 12 would they have been able to land Jabari?

As far as the Gonzaga point, I think that does a disservice to the argument. Coach Few has done a tremendous job, but he does not get the same type of recruits(GENERALLY) that Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan State, and Lousville. He's done a lot with the talent he's gotten to be sure. But to say that Gonzaga is good and therefore conference affiliation doesn't impact recruiting isn't true. Gonzaga rarely beats these others schools for recruits. And the question is, how much better would Coach Few and Gonzaga be if they DID get the same level of recruits as Duke and all those other schools?

I don't like the spin by fans of either schools. What do you people think? Is my analysis fair and correct?