Utah

Utah lawmakers looking at how to help homeless youths

Comments

• heidi ho Fort Collins, CO
    Nov. 14, 2013 12:48 p.m.

I was kicked out of my home when I was 16 by my step father in Utah. I had no where to go so I called up my biological father and he was a terrible option with his issues, and sexual addiction. I was a good, church going kid, and so wish I had another option. Many of my issues come from that night when I was kicked out for setting the table in an angry manner. Parents need to get help and counseling. Kicking out a 16 year old out onto the street is never a solution for anyone.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 10:27 a.m.

So when I provide…

the date, author, source, quote…

it is taken down on the Deseret news board and called 'made up' numbers?

But an OPINION is paraded around like a street-walker?

If this is conservative ideals…

it is no wonder they hide from reality.

• Bob K porland, OR
    Nov. 14, 2013 2:31 a.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT
    In nearly all situations, the homeless are homeless because of their own poor choices. Lack of attention to school, drug and alcohol abuse, and poor money management are the leading causes. The only way a person can turn their life around is to stop blaming others and take responsibility for their lives.

... common knowledge and any quick fact check show that SLC has one of the largest populations of homeless teens, mostly Gay or unwanted for other reasons by their families.

Please tell us how a kid who is 15 in a small town mormon home and unwilling to lie about who he wants to date or kiss deserves to be tossed out, for the reason of not making the family look bad in the local stake.

• intervention slc, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:37 p.m.

that should read Nation coalition for the homeless

• intervention slc, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:20 p.m.

@chris B
    Really Chris care to provide any research to support such a harsh judgement. I worked with the homeless for over 6 years and I can tell you with great confidence that was not my antidotal experience. The majority of the homeless I worked with were homeless because of finical concerns caused by medical bills due to a catastrophic illness or accident, physical disabilities or suffered from clinically significant metal health conditions that have been left untreated due to a indifferent society. If you go to the national volition for the homeless they have references to research to support this.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:58 p.m.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:22 p.m.

@doctor

So pagan gives reference to study support their their claim of 40% where is your reference refuting it if it is indeed "a made up statistic? Please do share "doctor"

• Doctor C Orem, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:42 a.m.

I do not buy the made up statistic that 40% of homeless kids were kicked out because of their sexual orientation. The number of kids who run away because of abuse, rebellion, drug dependency etc. are much higher. I do believe that we need to help homeless children. Churches and other private groups should get together to provide shelters to house them with the goal of reunifying them with their family if at all possible. If they are unable to go back home then the process of preparing them to be productive members of society should begin. I ride the train to the airport a lot and I see a lot of kids who look to be at risk. The dangers associated with homelessness are astronomical and we need to work together to mitigate those dangers.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:19 a.m.

I see the reason for to help the kids. The kids need their own reason to get off the street.

• DVD Taylorsville, 00
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:03 a.m.

"If a person has a felony record, many apartment complexes will not rent to them and many employers will not hire them. I guess my point is if you want to avoid homelessness, improve your chances by staying on the right side of the law."

While true, it doesn't address the plight of kids escaping abusive homes. The provision of a better foster system could help. We've had objections to any social help because of the issue of taxes and socialism, but this illustrates the problems of not addressing these human conditions -- increased crime (including destroying the lives of many who objected to taxation), reduced potential of human lives, and more personal destruction as vicious cycles are created and replicated through generations.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:00 a.m.

• Outside-View Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:21 p.m.

It wont change the need or desire to help but why didnt you tell us why these kids are getting thrown out of their parents homes? Drugs? being Gay? Parents should never throw out a son or daughter for these types of reasons. Knowing would help us know what kind of parents and kids we are dealing with.