In our opinion: Bill Clinton is right — but fix all of Obamacare's flaws

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Think of this ...Clinton did one little interview on web tv and said that Obama ought to KEEP HIS PROMISE and allow folks to keep their insurance as long as they want. Now if this is obvious to Clinton (who is still the king of party) then it is also obvious to Barack. Barack reacted almost immediately after Clinton spoke like a puppet on a string and gave his phony "keep it for a year" speech which really amounts to a fraudulent and weak attempt to shift the blame to the insurance companies...vintage Obama not taking responsibility. If this president could be any more pathetic I really don't know how. His credibility is now in the 30% range and his likeability is tanking too (people don't like arrogant liars).

• redshirt007 tranquility base, 00
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:53 p.m.

I'm going to make my own religion that says I'm not allowed to pay taxes and don't have to obey speed limits. After all, "what good are religious beliefs if you can't act on them?"

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 14, 2013 1:43 p.m.

J Thompson,

So if my daughter needs contraception for other conditions (many do), should that be covered?
    If a mother needs contraception because getting pregnant again would be dangerous and she and her husband have counseled together and feel this is the right thing, should that be covered?
    If there is no contraception and there is a baby, should the baby be covered (even if it is the result of poor choices)?

If I smoke and get lung cancer, should that be covered?
    If I drink and get into a bad accident and have significant injuries, should those be covered?
    If I go to work in a mine (full well knowing the risks) and get black lung or injured, should I be covered?

My point is simply that many choices have negative (and avoidable) health consequences. Also, that not all usage of something controversial is really negative.

I certainly understand the point that we do not want to encourage bad choices. And that agency should have consequences. But every insurance plan I have had for about 30 years (at least that I can think of) covered all of the above.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 1:30 p.m.

It is more cost effective to pay for a contraceptive implant than it is to pay for the birth of a child. Period. Nobody's religious worship is affected by my wife's decision to get an implant. The very idea is nonsense.
    Canada's single payer system of health care recently garnered a 97% approval rating. When was the last time ANYTHING in the U.S. had a 97% approval rating? You don't see these countries that have gone single payer changing their minds, do you?
    Somebody is going to jump on and talk about how it was fifteen years ago when the single payer system was working out its bumps. Those bumps are gone. Canada worked it out. Europe worked it out. Are they smarter than us? Perhaps so...

• Kimber Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:25 a.m.

The President has announced an extension of Personal Plans that were canceling people.
    I would encourage all that have a personal plan (not group, Medicare or Medicaid) to study their plan carefully. If they were going to cancel you, you need to find out why (likely that they were not offering the protections of the ACA). The ACA is requiring that these plans send you information of how their plan does not stack up to the protections that the ACA has designed in theirs. During this time a person can make an informed decision as to what plan they would like for the coming year. As for me, since I've had none, I will be happy to get a plan that stacks up to the ACA's requirements that are fair and good.

• annes albuquerque, NM
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:26 p.m.

@ Hutterite

Thank you for distilling such a gem as:

"Religion doesn't need health care. People do. Let them have access."

Well said.

Why do so many people take it upon themselves to pronounce the will of God? Those people aren't God, but they want God's power over their fellow men and women. That's blasphemy, pure and simple. People who speak for God should tremble, but they are too proud, and maybe don't even believe in God, if they think God can't speak for himself.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:40 p.m.

hefre is the thing Obama shares an equal part of the blame, An equal part with the congress that passed the ACA then walked away knowing there were changes that needed to be made, so get back in there and make the changes. Any congressman or senator that points a finger at Obama need to take a long look in the mirror then roll up their sleeves and go back to work. Yes Obama needs to do the same

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:52 p.m.

ObamaCare is the transfer of wealth and of responsibility from the person to other citizens. Those who equate having sex with getting cancer are insane. Yes, some of us will get cancer. Some of us will intentionally contribute to getting cancer, but how many of us would do anything that could cause cancer if the odds were 1 in 10 EVERY MONTH? Pregnancy is caused by having sex. When a person has the choice of having sex, that person is responsible for the consequences of that act. No one, except the two people involved, should be required to finance the consequences of that act, or for contraceptives to prevent that act from resulting in pregnancy.

The irresponsible will tell us that some "rich guy" should pay for all contraceptives. That same person would also tell us that some "rich guy" should house them and clothe them and feed them. God told us differently. He gave us agency. That agency is not separate from the consequences of our choices. When we choose to act, we are responsible for the consequences of those actions.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Of course former president is correct. If the government promises people can keep their insurance plan and that turns out to be not correct, then the government should make it right. They should pass supplemental legislation allowing people to keep their plans. This should be obvious.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:37 p.m.

Re: ". . . [Health care] provided by the U.S. Military was the BEST Healthcare my family and I have EVER had . . . ."

And you know, of course, that one feature of Obamacare is to reduce, charge for, even deny aspects of that care to military families, making them compete for rationed or unavailable health care, along with the rest of America?

Welcome to the brave, new Obamacare world.

Recruiters promised me "free medical and dental care, for me and my family, for life" if I enlisted and stayed for life. So, I enlisted. Spent 30+ years in the military. It has taken awhile, and politicians of both parties were involved, of course, but Obamacare will soon kill off the last of my "free" medical and dental care for life.

Not sure, but it seems you're suggesting Obamacare is a good replacement for military health care. It's not.

And Obamacare can NEVER get America to a military health care standard. Even if, as Obama plans, it collapses American health care.

Once the genie's out, it's out. No going back.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:21 p.m.

I was in both eastern and western europe.
    The 100% subsidy from the feds is for 3 years.
    If I remember right the cost to expand medicaid in Utah is 4.8 billion per year ( I don;t know for sure though)
    so the state would have to come up with 480 million dollars a year every year after 3 years.
    The 2012 budget had Utah at 3.6 billion dollars.
    So that is an automatic increase of 13% that the state has to pay out.
    With revenue projected to increase slightly where does this money come from.
    More taxes.
    Austria one nation I have been to is a great model in healthcare, but they are taxed heavily and if people are able to buy a two bedroom apartment they are lucky.
    I agree that healthcare needs reformed.
    Like a cap on malpractice suits. That would be a great way to lower premiums.
    There are two chooses pay an obscene amount of tax (most socialized nations in Europe)
    Or have a little freedom to choose.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 3:52 p.m.

"The same people who oversaw the web application also oversaw the writing of the law itself and both are an impossible mess. "

Web design contractors didn't write the bill nor did beareaucrats make the site. Though I agree with you on overhauling the site. Just use the contractors Kentucky, Oregon, or one of the other successful states used, unlike Vermont which made its own site but used the contractors the federal gov't used...

"If it's not broken don't try to fix it."

The website is broken, not the bill. It's working just fine in other states that had their own website design.

"I lived in Europe for a long while and the health care is terrible. "

Which nation(s), if you don't mind me asking? There's a big difference between the Soviet bloc nations and western Europe.

"The reason many states did not expand medicaid is the cost."

There's 0 cost to the states the first few years of it (the 90% subsidization comes later though I forget which year). A state could always expand it for those couple years and then decide if they want to keep it later.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Nov. 13, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Irony of the day, part II

The same people who cried,
    "the Government needs to START making people take personal responsibility for their own healthcare",

are now the very same people crying --
    "the Government needs to STOP making people take personal responsibility for their own healthcare".

• Convert Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 2:37 p.m.

@LDS Liberal 12:09

Your logic is flawed related to religious liberty and the contraceptive funding debate. Although a veteran (USAF pilot including Vietnam), I oppose our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. On religious principles, I am generally opposed to all war. Yet, taxes I pay go toward our offensive wars (I'm not opposed to basic self-defense).

Do you think I should not be taxed for costs of offensive wars?

Common sense requires that our tax dollars go to all sorts of programs and purposes, some of which we oppose on ethical or religious grounds. Such is life in a free society: we subsidize many things for everyone else.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 2:39 p.m.

My "Socialist" --
    no 80/20% split [now down to 50/50% for United Healthcare],
    No medical bankruptcy,
    nothing out of pocket,
    no pre-existing condition,
    NO Questions asked,
    Government provided by the U.S. Military was the BEST
    Healthcare my family and I have EVER had in the outside.

BTW -- It cost the U.S. tax payers 1/4 the cost of anything in the private sector.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 13, 2013 2:32 p.m.

I lived in Europe for a long while and the health care is terrible.
    If they had to pay anything for surgeries they probably went to the better doctors.
    The run of the mill low end doctors paid by the government are terrible.
    One example I went with a man to the hospital complaining of chest pain, we went in and saw the doctor he hit his hand with a hammer to test something and said you need this and booted us out. All of 4 minutes in there after a couple hours wait for an emergency.
    The German system is amazing and the world class system. The majority of socialized (or subsidized) medical systems in the world are sub-par .
    When the ACA first passed they said it would only help a smaller percentage. Don't use the media as a source. The reason many states did not expand medicaid is the cost.
    The leftist controlled U.S. government said they would pay for 90% of the expansion so 10% must come from the states.
    Truth is most states don't have that money.
    How many people right now have an extra chunk of change to throw out.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 2:13 p.m.

As a software engineer this whole Obamacare law reminds me of so many horribly written pieces of software I have seen over the years from small applications to large complex enterprise applications. With few exceptions - the best policy is always to just scrap the old app and architect a new one built on the latest technology and also rethinking the entire work flow of the app during the process. The effort to fix a poorly written complex app is rarely worth the time spent.

Obamacare is a mess - pure and simple. The same people who oversaw the web application also oversaw the writing of the law itself and both are an impossible mess. If you try to allow people to keep their insurance ...and most people elect to do just that...then why in the world did we even adopt this law in the first place? If it's not broken don't try to fix it. Concentrate on a small law that provides bare bones coverage for those citizens who have no health care instead of tying to re-invent the wheel for everybody.

• LDS Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Sending the ACA back to Congress for overhaul would not be wise. Our govenment is divided, fractured by partisan and ideological groups that refuse to compromise. The ACA has flaws, but overall it is essential to solving our skyrocketing cost of health care.

Unfortunately it is looking like immigration reform, realistic budgeting and necessary cuts in defense and entitlement spending are all beyond the congressional freeze. Congress cannot be relied on to provide any significant legislation, maybe for years to come.

The ACA bugs will be worked out, just like all bugs in new programs are solved. Let it be. It will serve us well.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:45 p.m.

"Europes healthcare is also sub-par. Try living there for a while."

My dad and stepmom have been living there for the past four years, both have needed surgeries, and both of those surgeries were much cheaper for them than mine was while they got to see specialists faster than I did (6 weeks for me, 2 for my stepmom, 1 for my dad). A week long hospital stay for my stepmom's knee replacement surgery had roughly the same charge as my four hour outpatient surgery expense. The nightly rates were comparable to a Holiday Inn in this nation... mine was more than a month's rent for the afternoon. The German healthcare system is fantastic.

"Healthcare should be available to all, but obamacare will only insure 33% of the currently uninsured."

It'd be higher if some Republican governors didn't oppose the Medicaid expansion (who's throwing people off of insurance now?).

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Europes healthcare is also sub-par. Try living there for a while. Another is look at the french tax rate.
    I disagree with Obamacare because of how it is structured. I also disagree with the Ryan Budget on Medicare matters.
    A big difference with seniors is they paid taxes and social security for many years so they deserve what they were paying into all these years.
    Healthcare should be available to all, but obamacare will only insure 33% of the currently uninsured. The subsidies are paid through taxes and penalties on both citizens and healthcare providers.
    If a hospital has to pay an extra 100,000 in taxes where will they make up the costs?
    They will increase their rates which will in turn increase the premiums. The people who are subsidized for insurance get a plan for free great, but these low income people are getting a high deductible plan (usually around 3,500 from what I have read) and they can not even afford the deductible so it is the same boat.
    People with good insurance will face in increased premium cost and pay for other's insurance.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:25 p.m.

Buena Vista, VA
    To Wilf55: "Strange that a Mormon oriented newspaper would back an issue that is relevant for the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church condemns contraceptives, not the Mormon Church."

No, it is not strange at all. The issue is one of religious liberty. One of the things LDS most believe in is religious liberty. We're all in this together. When anyone's religious liberty is trampled on, all of our religious liberty is trampled on.

12:09 p.m. Nov. 13, 2013

Somehow --
    I have a sneaky suspicion you did not support Muslims building an Islamic Cultural Center in New York.

I know the LDS Church did,
    but I also know many of their AM radio listening Tea-party members did not.

BTW - The LDS Church allows abortions (in some instances for it's members),
    but I also know many of their AM radio listening Tea-Party Republican members who do not for any reason for anyone (members or not).

• John Harrison Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:25 p.m.

When a religion is operating purely as a religion, then it should be afforded all sorts of protections. But when a religion is operating as a business and employing in non-ecclesiastical roles then it should not be able to dictate the healthcare choices of its employees.

All of this howling over freedom of religion is a misdirection, and should be called out as such.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Is that for all types and for all the reasons it is prescribed? As others have well said, simple birth control is not the only reason such that I assume there are many types both on and off patent (with the resulting variance in cost).

Is it your contention that all such drugs are this cheap?

• RedShirtCalTech Pasedena, CA
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Does anybody realize how much birth control costs? You realize that according to Target, you can get a month's supply of birth control for $10 without insurance. Now, let look at the cost with insurance. With insurance most plans have a $400 deductible for prescriptions that must be met before the plan covers any of the costs. So, even with the mandate for birth control, you still will pay for it entirely out of your pocket. Since you will still pay for it out of pocket, what is the point in keeping it in the plan?

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:15 p.m.

One thing conservatives, but not liberals, know how to do is to learn from history. The "war on poverty" did not cure poverty. It only encouraged women to have babies out of wedlock, which lead to more poverty and crime. Conservatives also know that the bigger the government or the government program, the more subject it is to fraud, abuse and waste, and always, unintended bad consequences. This has been true for many decades, but the liberals have yet to figure it out. Obamacare is no exception. It is causing job loss, insurance and dr. loss, and look at the incompetent way it was rolled out. It is only going to get worse, but let's see if the liberals learn anything. (BTW, I read yesterday how the govt.-promoted corn ethanol project is anti-green - has caused way more CO2 emmisions and other pollution than before the project. Total backfire. Great example of unintended consequences. And we can blame Bush for starting it, but Obama is still an enthusiastic supporter.)

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Clinton is right about honoring a promise made but that is easier said than done. First of all Obamacare is built on the scam that insurance companies will be forced to dump their members and then those members will be forced into the exchanges. This entire premise is a disgusting scam in and of itself - something Barack knew back in 2010 but decided to lie and tell people they could keep their insurance and doctor so he could sugar up his 2012 re-election chances. Now he tidal wave of cancellations is occurring nationwide dumping people into the exchanges where they find - for the most part - much higher premiums waiting with new doctors as well - which adds to the lie. Had people known the truth back in 2010 Barack and Obamacare would have been finished so the decision was made to lie and then assume the Obama friendly media would cover up the mess and ...somehow the number of cancellations would be concealed.

so how to NOW honor the promise?? If people are allowed to keep their insurance Obamacare dries up and dies due to lack of funding. This mess just get's uglier by the minute.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:09 p.m.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Germany has a universal healthcare system that is a mix of public and private contributions. They seem to be doing pretty well at the moment, I would say.

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:33 a.m.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:30 a.m.

When you form a for-profit business, you must abide by the law of the land.

It is not a violation of freedom of religion to require that a business selling wedding dresses must be willing to sell them to black brides who are marrying white grooms, even if the idea of interracial marriage is against the religion of the sales clerk.

It is not a violation of freedom of religion to require that a business selling wedding dresses must be willing to sell them to Jewish brides who are marrying Catholic grooms, even if the idea of inter-faith marriage is against the religion of the sales clerk.

It is not a violation of freedom of religion to require that a business selling insurance policies must cover the cost of a blood transfusion, even if the sales clerk (or business owner) is a Jehovah's witness who disapproves of blood transfusions.

If for-profit businesses are to be regulated at all, the idea of giving exemptions on the basis of religious faith of the the owners (or clerks) must be rejected. Otherwise, all regulation can be defeated by claiming religious freedom.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:23 a.m.

France and other Euro nations spend around 7-12% of GDP on healthcare. The US spends over 17% of GDP on healthcare. Regardless of the Euro nations budget situations... their healthcare system is way less of a cost burden than the US healthcare system.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:21 a.m.

To LDS Lib: the WORST thing we could ever do for healthcare in America is to go to a single payer system. All of our healthcare cost problems began when the govt got involved in the 60's. The govt does nothing efficiently and most things incredibly poorly, why let them fully ruin healthcare? Unless you want to sove the SS problem by reducing life expectancy.

• Pete1215 Lafayette, IN
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:35 a.m.

Are there any countries with national health care that are not running defecits? Greece is doing OK because they have Germany to occasionally pay Greece's bills. Who is going to bail us out?

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:34 a.m.

It is hard to do everything for everyone, but that is the thrust of the Democrats. Obamacare is designed to fail. Socialized medicine covering everyone is the goal of Obama with all its faults. We will see all health workers unionized. That will be fun to deal with. A huge bureaucracy will be needed to manage this. People who know little or nothing about health care will make the decisions. It is likely to be a disaster and research will take a tumble. Socialized medicine means no health insurance companies. The last laugh will be on them. They thought they would get 30-40 million new customers and instead will be forced out of business. Sarah predicted death panels to shouts of derision. They are coming. The economy will suffer too as one can tax a economy just so much.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:16 a.m.

The only way to fix all the flaws of this monstrous crime against America is to repeal it.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:06 a.m.

American Fork, UT
    Religion doesn't need health care. People do. Let them have access.

Hey, I never thoguht of it like that before.

Let those with enough faith go heal themselves,
    but by the same token,
    let those without that level of faith see a Doctor.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:29 a.m.

The funny thing about the outrage against Obamacare is that most people upset with it are people who supported the Ryan budget. The Ryan budget would turn Medicare into a system where seniors would be provided a voucher (subsidy) to go purchase insurance on a private marketplace. You know... just like Obamacare. Except of course there'd be no protection for pre-existing conditions, no end of lifetime caps, and no limits on the premiums companies can charge like Obamacare does (the subsidy in Obamacare scales out-of-pocket premiums for lower/middle income to be no more than a particular percentage of income, Ryancare would have no limits like that).

So apparently to conservatives Obamacare is an atrocity... and should be the replacement to Medicare. Heh, just goes to show that if Obama were a Republican, you'd all love Obamacare. As for liberals not liking Ryancare? That answer you know, since you all say it often enough calling it a socialist conspiracy; liberals like single payer, Obama/Ryan/Romneycare is a downgrade compared to single payer Medicare.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:21 a.m.

RE: GZE "Many, many women use birth control pills for issues other than birth control. " This is absolutely true. My wife had a life threatening problem with large ovarian cysts which her doctor countered with a birth control prescription. Fortunately, my employer's health insurance covered this expense. It was literally a life saver for us. This is why it is a dicey affair to step between a woman and her physician.

Nov. 13, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Many, many women use birth control pills for issues other than birth control. They stabalize hormones and help with irregular, painful, and heavy periods. They are regularly perscribed by dermatologists as a treatement for severe acne.

If, however, you insist that birth control not be covered, they must also defund all coverage of those little blue pills for men. Those of you who advocate personal responsibility for women must also demand that men pay to play.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:09 a.m.

J Thompson

The same reason I have to pay for you having kids. You get a tax break on every child you have. Those lost taxes have to be made up elsewhere - usually by people who have no kids themselves. The same reason I have to pay taxes so poor people can eat. They don't pay taxes, they get assistance. Why do I have to buy other people food? Why do I have to pay my medical bills when others get it for free on somebody else?

• Daniel L. Murray, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:02 a.m.

The affordable care act will eventually become workable, one way or another. And just like social security, medicare and medicaid have done since they were enacted, continue to increase the financial burden of the federal government. At some point discretionary spending will become a thing of the past as every tax dollar will, by necessity of legislation, be consumed on these social obligations enacted by congress. Now this may be all well and good, spending our tax dollars on our selves, however I think we may be overlooking most of the consequences of this. As we have seen from the result of the end of the cold war and the decrease in military spending, piracy increased creating more hazards for international trade. When the British navy collapsed from WWI financial debt, by necessity the US had to step in to ensure uninterrupted international trade. I just don't think putting all our tax dollars in one basket is a good idea. There is more to a country and it's economy than retirement and health care.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:01 a.m.

I have a better idea. Get rid of it.

It was a bad law, poorly conceived. And for all the talk (by the media, including DesNews), this president has truly shown repeatedly his incompetence.

Next time, leave the job of president to someone with skills above usage of a teleprompter.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:49 a.m.

If a bill to amend the ACA were ever submitted to congress, it would never emerge. Republicans will vote over and over again to eliminate it, they will never vote to improve it. President Obama knows that letting congress amend his program would mean letting congress kill his program.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Religion doesn't need health care. People do. Let them have access.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:42 a.m.

@Furry1993 - You suggest a good compromise of conscience. However, many companies pay all of the employee's medical insurance, while the employee pays for the premiums that are for the rest of the family. In such a case, if the employee is a female then there would be no subdivision of premiums for the employee.

@LDSLiberal - You are quite correct that birth control pills are prescribed for numerous female health reasons, not just pregnancy. However, I've not heard of any other reason for using "morning after" pills. I can see where this might plague the conscience of some religious employers.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:34 a.m.

J Thompson:

If YOU get cancer, why should I have to pay for YOUR treatment? If YOU'RE in an accident, why should I have to pay for YOU to get medical attention? Those things weren't my fault. Why aren't YOU the one taking personal responsibility for YOURSELF?

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Why should I have to pay for YOUR birth control? Where is YOUR personal responsibility to handle YOUR personal welfare? If YOU don't want a baby, then YOU are responsible to either not have sex or to provide your own means of preventing conception.

It is utter nonsense for you to demand that other people pay for their contraceptives. It is utter nonsense for you to think that someone in Utah or Nevada or Mississippi should be billed for your personal welfare in any way, including birth control.

If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to face the consequences of having sex. Your birth control is not my responsibility. It's time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:15 a.m.

The Deseret News editorial board is correct. Interestng that they have a reputation in some circles of being conservative and now they have written a piece promoting religious freedom (the human rights issue of our time) and at the same time they have reasserted that corporations have the responsibility and even the right to be governed by morality as opposed to "Cut-throat Capitalism".

I think that universities should divest themselves from stocks in Israel because Israel is oppressing the Palestinians. It is socially responsible. But there seem to be a lot of people who would argue that corporations should be governed by laws and the profit motive but nothing else.

So I guess that the Deseret News editorial board are just a bunch of commie pinko bleeding heart liberals with their views about human rights and social responsibility.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:03 a.m.

1. Contraceptives are used for a number of women's health issues - not just birth control.
    2. While the ACA is good, We need changes to make it Better, but a SinglePayer PublicOption is BEST.
    3. Why didn't the Deseret News ever call for fixing GW Bush's flaws -- ALL of them?

• mcdugall Murray, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:42 a.m.

There is zero chance that the ACA will change. The House of Representatives has voted over 40+ times to defund ACA, why would anyone think they would be open to make adjustments to ACA? Also waiting on the Republican alternative to ACA, any eta on that Boehner?

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:29 a.m.

@ Marxist

How about employers not furnish insurance period. Would that be better. But that would fit into your leftist thinking where the taxpayers furnish it.Typical leftist thinking You must give me something and it must be what I want.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2013 6:37 a.m.

When you have an unworkable mess, what do you do? We've known the solution since Alexander the Great sliced through the Gordian Knot. Just slice through ObamaCare. Get rid of it. Let the Federal Government be content to do those things that it is authorized to do instead of meddling with issues that are to be left to the States or to the People.

Obama has proven that just because he wants to control a huge part of the private sector's money, that he has no experience to "entitle" him to handle that responsibility. ObamaCare is NOT about health care; it is simply the transfer of a great deal of our money to the Federal Government for use in the general fund, just like Social Security funds are transfered to the general fund.

Slice through ObamaCare. Destroy it before it destroys America.

• techpubs Sioux City, IA
    Nov. 13, 2013 6:37 a.m.

I will agree that many things need to be changed with the PPACA.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 6:16 a.m.

You clearly put the interests of institutions ahead of the rights of the individual under the Bill of Rights.

This newspaper is definitely a partisan one.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:16 a.m.

A good and smart move by Clinton. His political savvy has always been his strong suit. He can read the polls and his gentle rebuke of the broken promises made by Obama will endear him and Hillary of course in the hearts of those 70+ percent of voters who want Obamacare repealed. It also gives cover to democrats in both houses of Congress to change or repeal the law, which they and their party forced through without a single republican vote.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:14 a.m.

Contraception is basic preventative heath care. If, as the DesNews suggests, the contraception mandate should be re-visited then it should be strengthened to remove the loopholes now in place that let employers deny their employees insurance for this very needed medicine. If the owners don't want to think they are paying for contraception then they should realize that employees pick up a percentage of their heath are and just think that the employees are paying for the portion of insurance that provides contraception. Issue resolved.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:40 a.m.

Moreover, your favoring employers who want to deny contraceptives to female employees through their health plans, over the needs of their female employees to have easy access to them, is another demonstration of your bias for employers over their employees. This is no surprise.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:09 a.m.

Would the removal of contraceptives from the ACA mandate be an example of freedom of religion, or the tyranny of religion? It may be the latter. Moreover since so many women rely on inexpensive contraceptives, your suggestion may also be viewed as anti-woman.