Sports

BYU basketball: Cougars race past Stanford in high-scoring affair

Comments

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Rockwell,

Way to spin every comment of mine into something I didn't say.

I'll just say this ... head to head determines who the better team is out of the two teams that played. However, it doesn't necessarily determine which team is better on a wider scale (which factors in other styles of play, etc). For this reason I agree that people have legitimate arguments as to whether BYU has been the better overall team despite all the recent losses to Utah.

That said, anyone with eyes can see that the only difference between BYU and Utah the past few seasons has been the patsy games on BYUs schedule. So yeah, in these instances I would absolutely defer to the head to head battles ... Utah would've had little trouble duplicating BYUs win totals and rankings if they played identical schedules. End of story.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 15, 2013 7:57 a.m.

motorbike

"It's hilarious when you guys bring final Sagarin ratings into the conversation as if it's the end all on how good a team is/was."

What's really hilarious is when Utah fans only gush about final rankings when Utah is ranked ahead of BYU.

The real negative for Utah is playing a difficult schedule is meaningless if you don't WIN!

It's funny how Utah fans continue to spew this false narrative that head-to-head results trump everything else that happened during a season.

According to that illogical argument, Texas A&M was BETTER than undisputed National Champion Alabama last season. If the "infallible" BCS was supposed to match the two BEST teams in the championship game, why was Alabama invited instead of Texas A&M?

Please explain why Utah fans apply one set of rules when comparing BYU and Utah, and a completely different set of rules when comparing other teams.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:56 p.m.

midpacmajor

It's hilarious when you guys bring final Sagarin ratings into the conversation as if it's the end all on how good a team is/was. Try to understand that if Utah played BYU's same schedule in football the past few years, the Utes likely would've finished with the same record/rankings OR BETTER... (head to head wins would support the latter).

Basketball would be a different story, Utah was terrible two years ago and average last year though they improved as the season progressed. But as Utah continues to improve and begins improving their out of conference schedule, it will again lead to an apples and oranges conversation when it comes to wins and losses, and final rankings.

The negative for Utah in both sports will be that wins will be harder to come by, meaning rankings will be difficult as well. The positive is if and/or when they break through in either sport, there will be little debate over their ranking and the sky will be the limit.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:10 a.m.

motorbike

Unfortunately for U, BYU is not only finishing with BETTER records, but also HIGHER Rankings, which already factor in SOS - sorry, no double-dipping on SOS just because you don't like the results. BYU finished over 100 places HIGHER in RPI than Utah last season and BYU is consistently ranked HIGHER in Sagarin, which includes SOS in the ranking formula.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Duckhunter,

"As for the football and basketball comparisons, well it just doesn't work. utah has beaten BYU in football 4 times in a row but they keep finishing with worse records. BYU has beaten utah in basketball 7 in a row, and 11 of 12, and they also keep finishing with BETTER records. There is a real obvious difference."

You're right, there's a "real obvious difference" ... it's called strength of schedule ... that goes for both sports. Now yes I'll give you that BYU has a decent out of conference schedule this year in both sports, so this year is a slightly different deal. But if you think a gaudy BYU record in football the past couple of years means they were better than Utah, well, go on believing I guess.

Also, if you look at other comments I've recently made you'll see that I do indeed believe the rule changes will hurt the traditionally more physical teams like Utah and benefit the run and gun teams like BYU. That said, Coach Krysko is no dummy, he'll coach his guys up just fine. It ought to be another great rivalry game this year.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 3:41 p.m.

@motorbike

The new rules are going to really hurt the style of play utah employee's if they stick with it. You and I had a very nice conversation last year after utah played thug ball in the BYU game. I told you it was incredibly boring and was simply a ruse to try and offset a severe lack of talent. You disagreed as I knew you would since it was your team playing that way. In fact you tried to tell me that utah was just as good as BYU last year. I think that showed itself to be not the case.

So what do you expect from utah this year? Are they going to still try to mug the opponents best players or are they going to try to actually play an interesting style of play this year?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:41 p.m.

Duckhunter,

My apologies (for my last post) ... I didn't catch that you were referencing Stanford football. (I thought this was a basketball discussion).

I see where you were headed with your comment but there's one giant problem ... it's obvious to all with eyes that Stanford football is AT VERY LEAST a top 10 team this year. Stanford basketball is not in the same universe as their football team right now, so comparisons just don't even begin to make sense.

That said, I'll still play along ... if we were to go back to the very point in time when Utah beat Stanford and you were to make the exact same comment, I still wouldn't have a problem with it. Quite frankly, I wondered myself at the time of the win whether Stanford football had lost a step or two from last year.

The great thing however is we now know Utah beat a very good Stanford football team. Perhaps the same will be true about BYU basketball later this season. If that's the case, I'd be the first to say my early OPINION was off base.

We good?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Do you seriously not understand that BYU improvement and Stanford regression can both simultaneously exist and that a comment on the two things together is in no way a back-handed compliment? I'd have zero problem with inserting Utah into the exact paragraph I wrote, just as you and agb so kindly did for me. Quite frankly, if Utah beats Stanford this year it will most assuredly be due to improvements by Utah as well as regression by Stanford - Stanford had Utah's number last year (insert joke here about all the teams that have had Utah's number the last few years).

Honestly, some of you die hard coug fans continually complain about negative comments from Utah fans but this just proves you're simply LOOKING for reasons to complain. That or the blue goggles are on a bit too tight. If you honestly feel the need to turn a compliment and an honest unbiased opinion about BYUs opponent, into something other than exactly that ... well quite frankly it's on you.

Good luck to your Cougs this year ... but better luck to the Utes!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:37 a.m.

Fun fact: there are only two conference remaining that are still undefeated...

B1G 21-0

and

WCC 17-0

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:48 a.m.

@motorbike

Here is your complete statement.

"As for my own thoughts on the game ... nice win by BYU. I have to admit they look a lot better than I anticipated. I also think Stanford has taken a serious step backward this year. That or they overlooked BYU or simply need a lot of coaching/development. Regardless, I'm still impressed by the cougs."

Hmmm......sounds like bitter and grudging acknowledgement at best. Why don't we take your exact comment and change it just a little bit and use it as a comment on the utah football win over stanford then see how it sounds.

"As for my own thoughts on the game ... nice win by utah. I have to admit they look a lot better than I anticipated. I also think Stanford has taken a serious step backward this year. That or they overlooked utah or simply need a lot of coaching/development. Regardless, I'm still impressed by the utes."

Hmmm.....sounds kinda like a backhanded "compliment"? Sure it acknowledges the win but of course it also points out stanford can't possible be all that good, in fact they've regressed, the game result proves it.

• agb Layton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 7:32 a.m.

motorbike

Cottonwood Heights, UT

agb,

What don't you understand about, "Regardless, I'm still impressed with the cougs."???

I understand that it was preceded by caveats.

oops sorry! there I go again by being confrontational by copying and pasting your comments.

btw motorbike, it will be interesting to see if you use your comment about BYU 'having a nice game' but 'standford regressing' as a pre fabbed excuse for the BYU Utah game. Should the game end up with a similar result all you'll have to do is take out the word 'Stanford' and insert the word 'Utah.' I don't know whether you will or not, but I will be watching.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:27 a.m.

@dumprake

If Mika finishes his career at BYU with more points, rebounds, blocks, assists, steals and wins then you can rail on Davies... In the meantime you need to back off... Davies is one of the best players to ever play at BYU and as long as I am a BYU fan no one is going to dump on him without getting a thumbs down and a comment which unfortunately I couldn't give you...

Davies is playing in the NBA today (Philadelphia)... Let's see if Mika earns a spot on a team in that league. BTW, I hope he does, but even then, Davies will still be one of the best players this University ever had.

• sg newhall, CA
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:24 p.m.

The Blue played great, but one game doesn't make for an entire season. They still have to go through Gonzaga. It's a long season. No team can shoot 53 percent every game. There will be equally blow out games for the opponent. Let's take it one game at a time.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:16 p.m.

Duckhunter

Re: "BYU is simply light years better than utah."

Interesting comment considering BYU barely escaped with a narrow victory at the Marriott Center last year. But I guess we can take from your comment that Utah football is "light years" better than BYU.

Also, despite what I said about hand-checking and how it may affect teams like Utah, I'd be a little slower to assume BYU will beat Utah this year if I were you. You may be in for a rather unpleasant surprise.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:01 p.m.

agb,

You might be a bit too sensitive, my comments were simply my honest opinions. Stanford doesn't look as good this year and BYU looks very good. Does that have to be a back-handed compliment?

Duckhunter,

Same thing goes ... do I really sound like someone who's worried about what a bunch of people on the DesNews comment threads think? I seem to remember starting my comment with "Nice win by BYU, I HAVE TO ADMIT they look a lot better than I anticipated." Does that sound like someone who's worried about credibility. Perhaps you and agb ought to step back and realize that not every comment is written with the same confrontational intent that some of your own comments contain.

Allow me to say it again, nice win by the cougs. They looked quite good last night and cougar fans should be encouraged. I also agree with comments regarding the new hand-check rules ... this will serve to help the run and gun teams like BYU while hurting the physical teams like Utah.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 8:05 p.m.

@agb

He simply can't help himself, he knows that just making an outright cut will be a hit on his credibility, mostly because there wasn't much to cut, BYU played their game, put up over 100 points and won decisively.

I think utah "fans" had this fantasy that utah was going to be better than BYU this year, in fact I know many of them had that delusion because they've posted it, go read the articles on the ute's. The truth is these two programs are so far apart that there really is no comparison, BYU is simply light years better than utah. 7 in a row and 11 of 12 tell the tale, and most have been complete beatdowns.

It is tough to take no doubt but it is what it is.

• agb Layton, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:10 p.m.

Ah Motorbike!

What would one of your comments be without a backhanded compliment:

It's either a 'nice win' or its not. But I suspect you knew that, and were hoping the rest of us wouldn't notice.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:07 p.m.

I stayed up to watch the entire game, it was excellent. The style of play Coach Rose runs is fun and exciting and the new rules will make it so that the games will speed up....eventually.

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:59 p.m.

This one really hurt the Utes. It goes to the core of who they really are - members of the PAC 12. They can't fly their Utah flags and now they can't fly their PAC 12 flags. It must be pretty tough . . .

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:35 p.m.

I'm an advocate for keeping the discussion about the teams & game in the article no matter what trolls tries to say. Sidetracking the conversation is their goal and sadly, many people fall for it and play right into their hands. Ignoring will frustrate them far more than any comeback regardless of how valid. While some make it very difficult by how relentless they can be, if we could all stick with ignoring, the fun would soon wear off.
    With that in mind, I was impressed with this win. Carlino played with more control than we've seen in the past and made far better decisions. Austin also showed marked improvements. Both really good things and were my biggest concerns for the season. Collinsworth is coming in strong for his first year back. It should be easier to keep the quick tempo with new hand-checking rules. Last year, Hawes would get down right mugged away from the ball with no fouls. Hopefully that will change. I'm getting more excited about this year with each game. Go Coug's!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:03 p.m.

In sports, the biggest cure is winning.

Utah is actually smart with its scheduling.

A good win-loss record helps with recruiting. The easy schedule won't matter, because they can tout their conference.

This strategy worked wonders for K-State football, who was the conference doormat at one time.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Never demean your competition. It makes your victories lose their luster.

I would like to think that we won a mighty victory against a substantial foe from a great conference. You always want your competition to do well, look well, except when they play your team or your conference.

Have respect and honor for your foe, and then go out and defeat them.

• trueblueBYU Provo, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Fun! Just plain fun! Keep it up Cougars!

• MrPlate Lindon, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:24 p.m.

With the new emphasis on enforcing fouling rules, I suppose Brandon Kaufusi won't be joining the team when football is over. With great depth, the basketball team may not need him this year, but maybe every team needs an enforcer in the arsenal.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:18 p.m.

@ ekute and Ernest T. Bass:

Thanks for mostly keeping it civil. I don't enjoy comments by either BYU or Utah fans when their respective team is doing well and then they try to rub it in against their rival opponent. Gloating is immature.

I hope the mentality can be developed where BYU and Utah fans can sincerely congratulate each other whenever good wins happen. Obviously, some fans on both sides haven't reached that maturity level yet. But it's a good thing to hope for.

Again, thanks for your sincere positive recognition of an impressive BYU win. I also wish Utah well with their upcoming games. Whenever any team from our state does well against teams from outside areas, that's always a good thing.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:14 p.m.

I love it. BYU has an RPI of 33 and the u has an RPI of 142. That will get them a spot in the NCAA's. Coach K needs to go and u needs to get a coach that has the brains and courage to schedule better teams and on the road. He is doing the team a huge disservice with this cupcake schedule at home. They will not travel well.
    I see along season for the u with only a few conference wins but tons of wins against their high schools teams, at home. How PAC-thethic,.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:05 p.m.

flatlander, I'll answer your question as to who would schedule teams like Mt. St. Mary's and Colorado Mesa: Chris Hill.

• Blind Zebra Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:43 a.m.

I love the new rules and the officiating. Ever watched a Big 10 game,example Wisconsin vs. Michigan state where the score is 55 to 56, snooze, what a bore. This is basketball not football. Who wants to watch defense rule? well, besides Coach Whit. I love watching offense. college needs more 100 point games.

I love my Gold's Gym membership! I still weigh 300 pounds and never go, but i still love being a member.

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:36 a.m.

@ Celtus
    Except the Utes have not won a championship in football or any other sport. Maybe Gymnastics

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:15 a.m.

One thing I can tell from the BYU-Stanford game is that officials are not messing around with the new rules set in place of having a defender's hands all over the offensive player. The only reason Utah made it tough for BYU last year was because they were extremely physical with Tyler Haws and kept him out most of the game. That's not going to fly this year because Utah will be called a foul every time, so Utah is going to have to try something else which is not good for them because they don't have the offensive firepower BYU has nor the bench.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:11 a.m.

skywalker

Re: "What's really funny is BYU-haters whining about the crow they're being served this morning... and, of course, the expected disappearing act of the most BYU-obsessed hater of them all."

Interesting comment. I just read through every comment and didn't see any whining from Ute fans about any "crow" they're having to eat. And you're quick to mention the "BYU-obsessed hater" yet the most noticeable theme in this comment thread is that there are a whole lot of Chris B obsessed BYU fans.

• Coog Fan in Spokane Spokane, WA
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:03 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"I hate the new rules for fouls. I bet the average NCAA score will increase by 10+ this year and games will be 30 minutes longer because of the rules."

Actually, I think the new rules are going to be a tremendous advantage for the Cougs in WCC play, where in prior years the refs have allowed all sorts of thuggery to go uncalled. Teams with inferior talent and size have had to rely on physicality to neutralize uptempo offenses, and assuming the new rules are enforced, this should work to BYU's advantage. Gonzaga got away with brutalizing Haws all game last year here in Spokane.

One thing that impressed me last night was seeing the Cougars maintain their lead in the first half after several starters had to sit with 2 fouls. Good job by the reserves.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:02 a.m.

We are in the conference of champions and byu is not and that makes us more prestegous even though we lose lots of games.

Go Utes!

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Ernest T.
    If BYU has a chip on their shoulder, the arrogant, PAC12 touting Utah fans have put it there. The chip should remain there for the rest of the season if it helps BYU stay motivated.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Time to remove the chips and just enjoy it.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:19 a.m.

flatlander,
    Most teams do schedule a couple of gimme games, although Mt. St. Mary's may not be that much a gimme. At least BYU has some very good teams on their schedule. The Utes have scheduled no one. With the non conference schedule the Utes have, their only chance to make the NCAA tournament is to win the conference tourney. No matter what they do, they cannot get in with this schedule (barring going undefeated).

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:39 a.m.

BYU looks good. The execution looks a lot better than last year. I know it's early but BYU is generating some swag. I like it and hope it continues.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass

It was a great game and BYU fans have expressed as much.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Great win for the Cougars. But I just have to say, I've never been more frustrated with a player than I am with "Matty Basketball" Carlino. He's a half and half mix of brilliant and disastrous. If he could clean up five or six of the horrible decisions he makes per game, I think he could be an elite player. But as it is, he is just shy of one bad mistake for every good thing he does. I'm getting seasick from the wild swings back and forth!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:31 a.m.

ETB, aren't you a little hypocritical in your comments? Your schick has always kick BYU when they were down.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Congratulations Cougars and a great, NCAA resume-building win. Fun game to watch with a great BYU crowd on hand. BYU is already showing signs of being a much better team this year than last. More scorers, more options, better composure on the road against tough competition.

---------------

Chris B

"I'm looking forward to a very average Pac 12 team handling the 2nd best team in the West Coast Conference."

If Stanford, picked to finish 6th in the PAC 12, is a "very average team", where does that leave Utah, picked to finish 9th?

The truth is, the Utes will be lucky to finish with a winning conference record, and the only reason they'll have any chance at all of breaking .500 overall, is because Utah plays a complete cupcake of an OOC schedule - BYU and BSU are the only decent opponents Utah plays until January.

---------------

Barely a week into the season and BYU already has two wins versus RPI Top 51 teams.

ESPN Daily RPI
    #33 BYU
    #38 Weber State
    #51 Stanford
    #54 Utah Valley
    #123 Utah State
    #142 Southern Utah
    #142 Utah

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Loved the Cougs offense, but need some work on defense. I hate the new rules for fouls. I bet the average NCAA score will increase by 10+ this year and games will be 30 minutes longer because of the rules.

I knew Haws, Carlino and Collinsworth would be good and carry the load; but they are playing better than expected - especially Carlino.

Mika is the best freshman I have seen at BYU in a couple of decades. Better than Davies, Haws or Collinsworth who were all very good.

Austin has improved nicely since last year. Winder is looking great behind the arc. Worthington and Bartley are solid freshmen who will provide valuable minutes and improve for next year.

The team is better and deeper than I expected, and there are no seniors. The present and future are bright.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:23 a.m.

I love playing Pac-Man. Go Cougars!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Funny that most "fans" can't comment on what a great game their team played, instead they must bring in that huge chip on their shoulders.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Nice win!

• Ute Vet West Valley, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 8:51 a.m.

I am still confused how a game where 215 points were scored is not on national news. It is not like Duke blowing out a little bitty school, the score would not be close to 215 points scored anyeway more like 103-30 affair, but two D1 schools playing a terrific game? It was a game televised on ESPN2, but ignored by espn.com? Really!? I know it is not a record, but in modern basketball it was one awesome game.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Nov. 12, 2013 7:50 a.m.

the prestigious conference of champions falls to the WCC...say it isn't so.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 12, 2013 7:11 a.m.

Didn't see the game but love the result! This is exactly the best antidote to the venom from the haters any time. When we win, the haters can trash us all they want and it won't hurt. Can't wait to see the rebroadcast of the game on BYUtv. Life is good when all BYU sports are either on the ESPN network or on BYUtv.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 7:09 a.m.

I thought that Pac-12 teams were a level above all competition. I thought that when you play Pac-12 teams you have to play your best game and have everything go right...just to stay in the game since it is a Pac-12 game. I mean, after all, there is a certain area of UT that is designated as Pac-12 Country where you have to step up to enter. Hmmm? How confusing that a Pac-12 team could get beat is such a way.

However it is nice to see that BYU has two more games against this incredible high level of competition...well, really, it is one exhibition game and then one more game against Oregon.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:57 a.m.

Wow! I didn't expect this. Congratulations on a complete game Cougars. Many players were involved. I think that the biggest improvement I see this year is the play of Matt Carlino. He is not forcing his shots like he did last year. He seems much more composed and plays within himself. He doesn't seem to be trying to prove himself. He is just playing the game, and playing it well. I hope this continues. Go Cougars!

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Bring on Oregon! (in basketball, not football)

• ET Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:02 a.m.

Here's a sign of the direction of two programs . BYU chops down the stanford tree on the road while Utah is walloping NAIA divII pine tree state. Both are playing up to the level of their competition.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:45 a.m.

@Striker, I'm sure they will build that resume some more with wins over Colorado Mesa and Mt Saint Mary's, two of the tougher teams. Who would feel good about scheduling those teams?

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:34 a.m.

Once again we see why BYU wasn't offered the position of doormat in the PAC. That role has been filled so nicely by Utah and Colorado. Too bad they weren't looking for a contender that would help fill their WCC-sized arenas.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:03 a.m.

How refreshing, the BYU post player did not commit two stupid fouls in the first three minutes of the game and sat the rest of the half. Mika is already better than Davies ever thought of being. I'm optimistic about this team, these guys can win some games.

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:35 a.m.

Let me be the first to say, "We Got It Done!" Where's my T-shirt?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:28 a.m.

I agree with you chris b... The Indians, I mean the Cardinal, did look quite pac12ish tonight...

Looking at the TV shots of the bleachers I was also reminded of the pac12 (particularly Utah)... A ton of empty seats...

I then got busy working on a couple of things while I was also trying to watch the game... But then I would hear some loud cheering, I'd turn to the TV and see that BYU just scored... I then had to double check where they were playing and sure enough it was in Palo Alto...I always thought that sports was a bigger thing than it apparently is in the big bad Pac12...

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:54 p.m.

ESPN raving about BYU after this game. They are going on and on and on about BYU. Perfect time to get a sizzling win with ESPN featuring this game for the marathon tip-off. WCC also undefeated in all its games....something the PAC cannot say. BYU likely in the top 25 after two solid wins so far.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:48 p.m.

The mighty pac has struck out!
    So chris, how is your beloved conference looking now? To allow a team from what you call a weak conference to come into your house and take you apart is truly embarrassing.
    So as I see it WCC 1 pac-thetic 0. The utes will really be in trouble when the Cougs come to town By the way let's end the smack about small arenas. Stanford's arena holds 3500 cardinal fans and 3500 BYU fans. That's small but the attendance still outnumbers utah's attendance.

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:46 p.m.

BYU continues to dominate the PAC 10.2 Too bad the team up north can't get the job done.

• fan in orem Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:38 p.m.

Another awesome victory in a high school gym. Good job, Cougars!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:37 p.m.

How many crushing defeats is this lately to PAC teams? Handily defeated Stanford this year, crushed ut multiple times, beat Washington at home last year by 11, crushed Oregon on neutral court, crushed Arizona twice (including 30 point win at Arizona). Didn't u fans say BYU was the equivalent to their lowly opponent? BYU and USU handily defeat a PAC brother with no problem at all. You gotta love it baby!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:35 p.m.

If I would have known a few hours ago that Stanford would score 103, it would have been depressing.

Looks like we have three Jimmers, and a few trees.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Cougars played impressively on offense. Free throw shooting and defense . . . well, not so good!

Carlino, Haws, and Collinsworth drove consistently and hit big shots. Six players in double figures for BYU is amazing!

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:30 p.m.

Hope Mika is ok. He tweaked his ankle a little in the end. The next big game we especially need him in is Iowa State on November 20th. He should be ok by then. Little scary though.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:27 p.m.

Nice game for BYU, Stanford made a good run at the end when BYU slowed it down, but 112 to 103 is a high tempo game. Just imagine BYU's score if they had made more free throws! BYU was 26 of 41 on free throws.

BYU wasn't really able to stop Stanford's big guy - Powell, need to work on that. But, Carlino is continuing to play better, like he did at the end of last year. Haws has spent a lot of time lifting weights and is stronger, but doesn't seem to have his free throw touch yet this year.

• General Alpine, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:26 p.m.

Tonight's report card - WCC 2 Pac 12 0.

WCC conference undefeated so far this season. Only other conference that is still undefeated is the Big 10.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:26 p.m.

Props to Coach Rose and Cougar basketball.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Love my elite and prestigious WCC membership! Seriously that was supposed to be a mighty pac 12 team? Dropping 110+ on Stanford! BYU should make some t-shirts or something.

Onward and Upward!

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:17 p.m.

Nice win for the cougars!

• relientk Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:16 p.m.

We need to learn how to put a game away though...

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:06 p.m.

Chris B

Get used to disappointment.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:02 p.m.

BYU CRUSHING Stanford on the road. Making their case for a NCAA Tourney bid already. I love my PAC membership...oh wait. Add this to their already impressive resume to any conference.

• relientk Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 10:40 p.m.

Chris B:

The mighty Cardinal looking really Pac-12-esque right now.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 10:07 p.m.

Stanford staying in the game from the free throw line - 14 of 18. BYU shooting poorly 5 of 11 from FT, but making up for it from 3-pt 5 of 9.

BYU 54-46 at the half.

Unlike last year, lots of new players contributing.

New restrictions on hand-checking and blocking are going to take a lot of adjustment - 23 fouls called in the first half, 4 of BYU's 5 starters with 2 each.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:56 p.m.

BYU is much deeper at all positions. If it comes down to the bench BYU wins hands down.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:40 p.m.

Lots of fouls on both teams; this is going to be a battle of attrition and which team is deeper.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:33 p.m.

An item of early season concern: is it just me, or is Haws missing a lot more free throws than is usual? I know last season he started missing more as they got deeper into the season late in games. He uncharacteristically missed 3 against Weber and has already missed his only attempt tonight. Makes me wonder if his legs are fully there.