Faith

SoulPancake runs interview segment about Mormon undergarments

Comments

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    Dec. 3, 2013 4:27 p.m.

@The Scientist
    I'm sorry, but that's funny. I'm not worried about anybody knowing anything about what goes on in the temple because nothing about it is embarrassing in the least. It is a beautiful place where I feel the Spirit and complete ordinances for those that have passed on before. The need to keep "secret" has nothing to do with embarrassment or any need to hide anything. It has all been out there for over 100 years but we are still not going to talk about specifics outside of the temple. Nothing shocking goes on, nor did anything shocking happen before changes were made. As to changes - yes, our church believes in continuing revelation. Some may say in response "How convenient." It actually is quite convenient in that God can continue to give revelation line upon line and precept on precept as the needs of His children continue to change.

• mjllindsey west valley, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:24 p.m.

We as lds faith have been counseled not to cast our pearls before the swine, as directed by the savior.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:54 p.m.

If your beliefs and rituals are so fragile as to fall apart when scrutinized, then how sacred and "of god" can they possibly be?

Only if you are NOT afraid of the truth can you find it.

All the secretiveness (passed off as "sacredness") manifests fear. Of what are you afraid? That someone might actually open your eyes to the absurdity and silliness of what you believe in?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 12:03 p.m.

@Chris B

Perhaps your history proceeds you and knowing how you mock everything you either don't want to understand or you don't agree with people would be reluctant to share with you. If you don't want to learn sacred truths I would wish you a better day and leave you in your happiness.

Here is an answer to your one point: God does change how he relates to people according to their needs and attitudes. He will speak as a man face to face as he did with Moses who was a man without guile. He won't talk to someone who doesn't want to hear from him unless it suits God.
    How God relates to man changes all the time.
    If you want to know why the Temple ceremony changed, look at how the people changed that necessitated the change. The part you are referring changed due to the people no longer needing that reminder.
    Hope that cleared that up for you.

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:26 a.m.

The temple and its ordinances are not secret, that is a total myth and one promagated by those who think because they can't enter that something evil is taking place. The temple is a place of higher learning and the garments are sacred in that they remind us of the sacred covenants we take upon ourselves. It takes years to understand the meaning and the ordinances of the temple. President David O. McKay stated late in his life when meeting with the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve, "that I'm finally beginning to understanding the ordinances of the temple." To request the same for someone who doesn't believe would be completely assine. If you want to really gain an understanding it is up to you to gain that knowledge. We've provided the answers to you that you need to know. If you don't like then the one you need to ask isn't a member but the Lord himself. It is Jesus Christ that has decided who will be allowed in his house. It is Jesus Christ who questions the faithful on their worthiness to enter, through is designated representative.

• countrylady1946 Frisco, TX
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:41 a.m.

ClarkHippo;

I am going to ask you one question with a follow up. Do you have anything in you life that you feel is so special to you that this one thing is not going to be shared by the world for it to make fun of or possibly tear apart? If you do then maybe you can understand the importance of the Temple and why only through purification can you enter the doors as with King Soloman's Temple in the Old Testament and even then not all could enter with out the purification process. This is why we have recommends and we remain faithful to our covenants from our baptism to the time we enter the Temple. God expects this of us and our garment is our way of remembering those very special covenants that we made on what we believe to be very sacred ground. Trying to prove to you or the world is not our way, you have to prove it to yourself, read the Book of Mormon, pray about it faithfully, if you feel you don't have an answer yet do it over again have faith that you will.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Clark,

I agree that much of the information is on the internet, but that still doesn't answer why the Mormon church would change it? If its true and correct, its true and correct, right? If God wanted it that way, God wants it that way.

Why would someone exposing it on the internet change the "truth" of it? Sure, its no longer a secret, but are you saying the truthfulness is upheld only in its secrecy?

Why would the publicizing of it impact in any way shape or form the truthfulness of it? Besides, the current temple information is again found on the internet. So should it be completely re-done again?

I don't see any connection between it being available to outsiders and the truthfulness/correctness of it?

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:19 a.m.

@Chris B

You asked - "Why would going to a new country or increasing another million necessitate changing the temple actions?"

There wasn't space to explain this more previously. My point was, as the church has grown, our critics have equally found a greater audience. Films and pamphlets have been produced given detail after detail of the temple endowment ceremony (something which I suspect you know already). I don't know if this is the main reason why the brethren have chosen to tweak the temple endowment ceremony every so often, but to be honest, it isn't that important to me.

If someone I knew was investigating the LDS Church and had sincere concerns about the temple, I would not simply say, "It's sacred so we can't talk about it." I would gladly answer there concerns as best as possible. I would explain that, like baptism, the temple endowment is a gate toward our ultimate goal of eternal life. I would explain my own experience going through the temple and that I have experienced many moments of great spiritual strength from going back to it whenever I can.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:29 a.m.

ClarkHippo,

"So you and others can degrade it?"

So we can question it and discuss its merits. You'd better believe, as I've stated previously, that if you and your missionaires come to my door year after year trying to convert me, that I'm going to ask all the questions I want and learn all I could before I ever joined a church.

And yes, when a group keeps trying to convert me, but refuses to tell me everything they believe in, that is a big red flag.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:25 a.m.

ClarkHippo,

Why would growing and moving to many parts of the world necessitate changing what happens in the temple? If you are honest with yourself, you will admit it was the most "shocking" aspects of the temple that were eliminated. And if those things were good enough for LDS members in America, why wouldn't they be good enough elsewhere in the world?

Or if they were good enough for 8 million Mormons, why wouldn't they be good enough to 9, or 10, or 11 million members?

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:55 a.m.

@Chris B

You said - "It sure seems Mormons know that what happens in the temple would likely scare off a great number of potential converts if you explained in detail what you did in your temples, especially if the truth was told about how the past temple things were done."

Obviously you're unaware LDS members and missionaries constantly get questions about the temple, and that in fact there are many aspects of the temple we can discuss openly, but your words clearly indicate you're only interested in finding the most creepy parts.

You said, "I know its not a popular topic for Mormons, but according to them, God suddenly changed his mind years ago and altered some temple things, taking our some of the more shocking things."

As the LDS Church has grown and moved into many parts of the world, it becomes necessary to tweak things here and there, including the temple ceremony. I'm sorry if you can't understand this.

You said, "I'd encourage Mormons to admit and openly discuss what was done in the temples and exactly what was said, both before the changes and after."

So you and others can degrade it?

• Lakers Sandy, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:12 p.m.

I have never heard of soulpancake, even though I consider myself a heavy user of youtube. Nor is this the first or last time a media person will investigate mormon underclothing. Frankly I am a bit surprised that this is considered news.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:55 p.m.

Scientist,
    You can get any information you need in your own home, if you really are who you represent yourself to be which is an atheist happily married to an active Mormon woman.

Chris B.

Do you not understand there are degrees of sacred? A child's birth is a sacred thing. Their birthday is special, but not sacred. I'm not sure why you refuse to get that when it comes to the Mormon temple. Church worship and baptism are special and can even be sacred, but not to the degree as temple worship.

Truth and fear are interesting words to use to describe exposing the LDS temple to the world. It shows a clear lack of understanding of the meaning of sacred. It also shows an assumption that LDS people don't really mean what they say and are only trying to hide strange and threatening things from the world.

• Utes home for the holidays Sandy, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 9:04 p.m.

Scientist, So you are incapable of asking any Mormon co-workers, neighbors, friends, families, or other acquaintances?

And if you know exactly zero Mormons in your personal life, you have a reason to believe a random response on these comment boards would be a more correct answer than the wonderful tool Google I introduced you to? Or are you already very familiar with the answer to your question, and your post was just a dishonest(since you've already done all the research you need to) attempt to stir up trouble?

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Nov. 12, 2013 7:41 p.m.

Scientist: You already know the answer to your question. Let it suffice that the emblems and the meaning of those emblems are sacred to those who wear the garments properly. Sure it is on the internet if you look hard enough but still it is sacred and the meanings should not be discussed outside the walls of the temple. It is safe to basically state that the emblems and their meanings allow us to remember the covenants that we take upon ourselves during the endowment. For those who obey this they continue to remain sacred. For others, not as much.

Try to be respectful of this and accept this as the answer that is needed. If you don't like it then maybe ask your wife. She probably has already told you the meaning and that remains between you and her.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:56 p.m.

Utes home for the holidays wrote:

"Scientist, Have you heard of "Google"? Try is out sometime. It's pretty neat."

Yes, and you should try posting what you find after such a search and see how LDS defenders react...

better to just ask the faithful directly, don't you think?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Rikitikitavi,

When you and your missionaries come to my door year after year and tell me I should get baptized in your church, you'd better believe I'm going to expect to know what Mormons believe before I'm going to make such a decision to be baptized.

If you don't fear the truth, lets get together and talk in every detail about everything Mormons do and believe. After all, you don't fear it, so you shouldn't hesistate to discuss is.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Nov. 12, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Where did this notion originate that Mormons want to be accepted? Our sacred practices and deeply-held values are not subject to exposure, disclosure, or compromise just to gain public acceptance. You have no right whatsoever to know what I choose to wear underneath my outer clothing. Are you a bunch of pervs? We who are LDS are not the ones attempting to publicize these issues concerning our temples and related sacred attire. Back to the issue of acceptance: we merely wish to dispel myths and falsehoods relating to our faith. Truth is our only motivation. None of us fear the truth.

• Utes home for the holidays Sandy, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Scientist, Have you heard of "Google"? Try is out sometime. It's pretty neat.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Can someone tactfully explain the Masonic symbols on the Mormon garment?

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I think the Mormon garments is an interesting topic, and it would be great if Mormons were truly open about them. Mormons want so badly to be accepted in society. And if you do, you should be willing to be totally open. Explain in full detail everything about garments and how they relate to what happens in temples.

If its part of your doctrine why hide it?

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Why not just be open and explain everything about the Mormon under clothing? It seems that Mormons want so badly to be accepted in society, yet aren't willing to talk in detail about what they believe. I think if Mormons were more willing to truly be open about their doctrine, they would perhaps be more accepted as they wish to be.

And no, please don't tell me "its sacred that's why we don't talk about it" unless your telling me that your sunday services, bapstisms, and other church activities aren't sacred, as those are open to the public.

Des News moderators - nothing in my post breaks the rules. Unless of course "bringing up tough topics for Mormons" is also against the rules, as it appears to be.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:41 a.m.

@cjb

Garments are not meant to be worn during all activities, such as while swimming (unless the swim clothes are that modest which they aren't these days anymore).

• Mr_Normal utah, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 7:37 p.m.

Two issues:
    1. I can understand how DN has a list of banned words and that "under" and "wear" are on them. As an admin of a rather popular FB page I can attest to how convenient it is to not have to monitor all the juveniles and their knotty comments 24 hours a day. Instead I have my own banned word lists and yes, under - wear is on it. However I am occasionally put off by how strict the filters here are set by my ideology. Just because I offer an opposing viewpoint does not mean I need censoring.
    2. I don't need my wife to wear anything other than our sacred garments to find her attractive. She's hot enough for me and likewise I am for her. That's kind of the point of a temple marriage...

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:52 p.m.

@cjb: Actually I see no distraction from the under garments worn by many Latter Day Saint women. It is only that what they wear is modest and reminds us that modesty is keen. The under garments are worn also by men and by all endowed members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Those who wear the garments properly are promised many blessings if they wear the garments night and day in the manner they were designed for. It is also a question for one to maintain a temple recommend. That shows how important it is to us and to the Lord Jesus Christ that the garments be worn in the manner the Lord has prescribed.

I feel that I have been blessed by wearing the garments. They give me comfort and remind me of my covenants.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:06 p.m.

@cjb

I'm pretty sure I can pick out a beautiful women regardless of whether I can see her shoulders or not.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Garments do detract from the beauty of wives. Stylish night gowns look a lot better. They also make it so women can't wear sleveless tops.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Des News moderators,

Is the word "under wear" really banned? I posted a comment with nothing close to an offensive word, and yet the response was my post included a banned word. The only thing I can think is I combined the words "under wear" in my comment.

Are we really so childish as to ban the word "under wear"(here separated so it can get past the filter to ban all sorts of disgusting words such as this)?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 3:50 p.m.

I would encourage those faiths seeking to be accepted and understood, to be willing to explain everything about your religious beliefs. To me, it doesn't cut it to hide behind the "its sacred" excuse for not talking in detail about Mormon underclothing or what goes on inside temples.

After all, aren't your normal Sunday services "sacred"?

Aren't your baptism services "sacred"?

And yet those are open to the public.