Utah Utes football: Utes failed to finish against ASU, squandered 12-point lead

Nov. 12, 2013 6:10 p.m.

TandJ, of course athletes don't want to lose. It's not just about finding good players, but finding good players confident enough and competitive enough to work toward a culture change.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:54 p.m.

You incredibly said: "That's because you don't know the athletes or their competitive spirit.

I do know as a fact that athletes of any shape, size or gender do NOT want to be bottom dwellers anywhere, and yes indeed they would rather be a top dog in any school that they can get into rather than a bottom dweller in the PAC10+2.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 10:29 p.m.

I love Chris I love Chris great entertainment value
    no chris board of comments might be boring

Nov. 11, 2013 9:19 p.m.

"I am sure the athletes would rather be a top dweller in a middle dwelling league"

That's because you don't know the athletes or their competitive spirit.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:37 p.m.

@Spokane Ute and Chris B

In response to my post, you both refer to "your school" and seeing as how you were addressing me that apparently means that you think you know who my school is. Well, let me tell you I have an undergraduate degree from the University of Utah (that is one of my schools) and a graduate degree from the University of Maryland (my other school). Does that tell either of you anything? One of my schools (the U of U) was suckered into a money deal that in effect places their athletes and their fans in a position of being bottom dwellers, with little reasonable chances of changing. That is not fair to the fans or the athletes. I am sure the athletes would rather be a top dweller in a middle dwelling league with an almost guaranteed chance of going to a middle dwelling bowl than sitting around a bowl of popcorn watching other teams play in those bowls. And the fans, including me, would in my opinion rather watch the U in a middle dwelling bowl than in no bowl at all.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:41 p.m.

How is it a 'great defense' and it loses a 19-7 lead???

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Actually, 2 1/2 years, but it seems like less

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:14 p.m.

At Levi

We have won the Sun Bowl, and went to the Conference semifinals in hoops. Been in the conference for less than 2 years. Give it time Bro....

Chris B

Enough already!

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Chris B. You may be right. But it's doubtful. If BYU gets an invite to an AQ conference it may or may not go. It's happy with the independence and their own TV network for now. They stand to make allot of money this year and they don't have to share it with anyone. That's there baby and they want to have the same privileges with the AQ conferences as they have with ESPN. The Ad dollars the raise with their live events and their tape delay broadcasts of football games is far and above that which they could garner with any other conference affiliation. THe actual dollar amounts are private. I have sources who work for BYU TV who tell me that the numbers are staggering and that a move to an AQ conference would not be a good Idea unless they can keep their own network deal. AQ status is nice but when all is said and done BYU is going to have to go undefeated to get to a BCS type bowl any way. Look what AQ status has done for the Utes. As far as I can tell...not a darn thing.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 4:25 p.m.

Kudos to your class, bruddah! I root for the Utes. So naturally I cringe whenever I see the Yale logo around! j/k

But I have to say, that you are the classiest BYU fan on these comment boards. I really enjoy reading your posts. It's easy to tell that you have a big heart. Thanks for keeping it real, man!

Like thebigsamoan says, we all should realize that the more football success Utah and BYU and USU have, the more respect and recognition our great state will receive. On that note - Go Utes! Go Cougs! Go Aggies!

Nov. 11, 2013 3:40 p.m.

We seem to be back to the McBride years of dive right and dive left. Even our pass patterns are horizontal to the sidelines. We need to work the middle. You have a tight end....Use him or put another wide out in that postiion and work the middle of the field. Very boring to watch. My hat is off to the defense who has to bear the weight of the offense every game. It work against Stanford only because they made some mental mistakes of throwing the ball instead of running or the outcome would have been the same. We need to change the offense to something other than run up the middle and throw deep to Anderson.

• SEC Rules Seminole, FL
    Nov. 11, 2013 3:02 p.m.

I am a BYU fan. With that being said, I would like to say that the Utes are one of the most underrated teams in the country. You are tough. You beat BYU FOUR (4) years in a row, and you almost beat ASU. You shocked Stanford and handed them their only loss, and they are ranked 5th in the Nation! Did you hear that? The only L in their 2013 schedule is from Utah!
    Now get your COMPLETE game on and beat the Ducks. You can do it.
    1.Play to win, all four quarters.
    2.Turnovers are killing you. Stop doing it.
    3.Travis is your QB. Stand behind him.
    4.Forget the past and move on to Eugene, Or.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 2:35 p.m.

Chris B

The Utes are forced to ride the coat tails of their conference associates, because they have absolutely no accomplishments of their own.

Have Utah's men finished in the upper half of the conference in any sport so far?

It wouldn't be a bit surprising to see the Utes replace the drum and feather on their helmets with the PAC 12 logo, after all, that's the only thing Utah fans have had to beat their chests about since joining the PAC 12.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Two years in the pac? In fact nearly 3 years now of pac12 cellardom and no end in sight. Going to the pac12 was the right thing to do but keep your expectations real. BYU and utah have disadvantages in recruiting and it's not likely to change much over time. BYU and Utah have ended up this year with some of the same problems unfortunately....poor O line play and some weird offensive play calling. Both of these teams seem to be out-coached on a regular basis.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Can't remember!

What is the ute PAC 12 record this year? Last year?

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:39 p.m.

"in the pac 12 you better be ready..." standard quote from whitt.

How about "in football" coach... give it a rest already.

maybe idaho state needs to be invited to the pac 12, they could be as successful as utah

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:09 p.m.

At jack

Yep, here's to a Bingham state title

At Samoan

I rarely go to BYU threads but when I do my comments are constructive, check and see. I can't control what other Utah fans post. To troll your rivals threads and take shots at their program is weak sauce. iMO

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Disappointing by the Utes, we'll be very lucky to hit 6 wins but will most likely end with 5. What a shame. I don't understand how the Oregon State game happened... Time to find an offense, the run isn't working and the QB is inconsistent. Play calling has been bad but execution has been much worse.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:53 p.m.

There is one and exactly one of the dozens of "non-AQ" program in the nation that isn't wildly jealous of Utah and wouldn't JUMP at a Power Conference invite.

And that program is Notre Dame.

EVERY other non-AQ school in the nation would LOVE to be a in a big boy conference. Your school more so than most too!

Big 12 call lately?

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:54 p.m.

It was an awesome day, beautiful weather, great fans, electric atmosphere,exciting game and a top 25 opponent. Winning would be nice but it's not everything. We are talking about kids and college athletics. As a long time Ute and 30 year season ticket holder, it's really fun to see what has taken place in the past 10 years. No matter what happens this year we'll start next year with a chance to go to the Rose Bowl and have the opportunity to experience the best college football atmosphere in the state.

• Thefullnancy SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Where's Chris B. Not to worry he's busy making comments on BYU related and even BYU unrelated stories on basketball. As you know the Utes are also in the PAC12 in basketball and have what is very generously considered a basketball team in addition to football. Guess Chris has moved on from football and will soon be predicting BYU losses. Mark it down.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Jank-a-rus, your no different than countless other Y fans that have other teams. No shame in that, as If I were a Y fan, I would have other teams as well.

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:13 p.m.

@Spokane Ute

Have you been on a BYU article recently? There's plenty of your fellow Utes fans that feel the exact same way as Jarka-rus does toward Utah. That's the nature of all rivalries. But I'm sure you have lotsa class and hope success for BYU despite being a Ute fan.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:09 p.m.

@Spokane Ute
    Wrong I get more joy watching Bingham win, which they better do this friday up on that tainted field lol!!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Hopefully the Noles and Tide can meet up in the NC, would be a whopper of a game!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:57 a.m.

At jack

It's pretty obvious from your comments that you get more joy out of Utah losing than BYU winning, lotta class guy

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:56 a.m.

Yeah right. Utah should have stayed in the MWC especially when getting so much exposure through that national TV channel, the Mountain. To turn down the PAC 12 would have been absolutely stupid. Also, it's been two years dude. It's not the administrations fault that Utah is right on the fringe of going 8-4 or better this year, but they have faltered in late game situations . That falls on the coaches and the QB. Changes may be forth coming but to come on here and state that Utah should not have joined the PAC 12 is outlandish. It must be pretty frustrating to know that your school will never join a BCS conference and that they continue to lose to their "cellar dwelling" rival over and over again. How sad and pathetic!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:46 a.m.

My other 3 teams are Wisconsin, Alabama and Notre Dame.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:35 a.m.

Actually my team is the FSU Seminoles haahhaha, so I do have two of those goals well in reach for "my" team. I am a Byu fan but the Noles have always been my team.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:22 a.m.

For you Utah fans. The administration at the U of U was simply greedy, and it has left you fans with a bottom dweller. Those administrators saw the PAC as a boon to something (anyone say money). Your football and basketball teams are now somewhere between bottom dwelling and middle dwelling. They could have remained a top dweller in a middle dwelling league if the U of U administrators had not been greedy and out of perspective. They could have been looking forward to a middle dwelling bowl game with a rare outside chance of unexpectedly making a top dwelling bowl. Look at the opposite tact taken by BYU administrators. BYU's football and basketball teams remain in a middle dwelling league (or circumstance if independence is not considered a league). Guess what? The Utes defeat the Cougars in football 4 years running, but look who gets to go to the middle dwelling bowl? And, BYU does indeed still have its rare outside chance of unexpectedly making a top dwelling bowl. Utah fans should thank the greedy administrators at the U of U by leaving the chairs empty at RES.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I hope that Wilson DOES win the Heisman, leads the Utes to a National Championship and becomes a top notch NFL quarterback.

What hopes do you have for your team. Who is your team?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:17 a.m.

At realism

Great post and spot on. Utah does not play to win, they play not to lose. Way too tentave down the stretch and at crunch time.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:13 a.m.

As long as Wilson is the QB the UTES will be average at best. He had every opportunity in the world to win the game in the 4th quarter and he failed. 2-3 first downs would have ran the clock out or got them in field goal range at the end. Wilson can not get the job done.

• Realism337 Draper, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:00 a.m.

U Coaches: Please stop trying to “protect a lead.” This is killing everyone who holds any interest in this football program. Your 4th quarter, lead-protecting strategy of “dive-right; dive-left; desperation fade route; then punt” isn’t going to get the job done in the PAC-12. When you sit on the ball to protect a lead—you assure yourselves a devastating loss like this one. Why do you do that?! That was one of the most frustrating 15-17 minutes of football I’ve seen in my life. What’ more—your defense (which has improved significantly over the year) deserves better.

It’s obvious to everyone the Utes have serious problems on the offensive line and at the quarterback position. But this one’s on you.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Wilson is an NFL QB, he should win the Heisman

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Onward and Upward

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 11, 2013 7:33 a.m.

The beauty of the Utes situation is that they have another great opportunity still ahead of them to erase the pain of the past setbacks. Oregon was beaten by the Cardinals that the Utes already defeated. If they can somehow pull out an upset of the Ducks, which I don't think it's all that impossible, then all the pain of the past will be dispelled and they're back smelling like a rose again. I'm not a Ute fan but I have very selfish motives that I'm not ashamed to admit. I hate hearing or have it ever said that my Cougars lost to a bottom dweller of the Pac 12! I loathe the sound of that. It's painful enough to know that they kicked our butts 4 yrs in a row and have Chris B and his minions rubbed in our faces all the time. What's so hard about being nice to each other while supporting our own favorite teams? Why must one find joy in mocking and degrading an opponent? It's so moronic and childish and I wish we can all be above that!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT