Sports

High school football: Manti rushes its way into 3A championship game

Comments

• CTJ fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:21 p.m.

OneTime.... Actually I don't have any facts at all that they recruit, but really? If you can you will I don't care who it is. All I'm saying is that there's a reason that just about every other state has different classifications for Private and public schools. I'm not saying at all that Judge doesn't play by the rules, but when you look at it, it seems to be an unfair advantage. Now doesn't look like Judge has guys who can recruit very well or they'd win more, but if they had someone who knew what they were doing you can't tell me that wouldn't be an unfair advantage. Just don't play it off as if it doesn't mean anything because you know it does, now your coaches may not do a very good job with that advantage but it's still there. Oh by the way Short Bus Manti's was never the biggest 2A school, and none of what's said has anything to do with numbers. Bottom line this should be a really good game, the team that wins will have to play really well.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:17 a.m.

I would say Onetime is on the money for enrollment at the two schools and remember that is 9-12. I think the UHSAA uses 10-12 enrollment numbers when they are trying to figure this all out

• ED29 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:58 a.m.

And anyone who thinks a school of around 600 students should compete in football against schools with 2000 students, knows nothing about football.

• ED29 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:46 a.m.

It is disturbing to see people make up lies, in an attempt to create a no lose situation for Manti. First of all Judge has never recruited for football. My son and many others are great players on the team and we only wish we got scholarships for having great athletes. Instead we pay to send our kids to Judge (current enrollment right around 600 students) for the education and the amazing preparation the students receive for college. 97% of Judge Memorial students go on to college.

As far as football goes, I think the saying goes, "Even the sun shines on a dog's 'behind' once in a while." It just so happens that an amazing group of football players are at Judge right now. I won't be surprised if they take state for the next 3 years. And maybe Judge goes back into hibernation for another 30 years. It's like the 2004 and 2008 University of Utah football teams. I don't think anyone thinks the U of U is a national powerhouse, but they were awesome those 2 seasons.

• OneTime Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:47 a.m.

@ Mtn Tracker

According to the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake that oversees and runs the catholic school system enrollement numbers for 2012-13 are JD 841 and Judge 757. I believe Manti's enrollement is 608.

From my understanding the 3A classifications is enrollement from 500 to 999 which means (excluding football) Manti plays DOWN to 2A and Judge plays UP to 4A.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 5:59 a.m.

Mr. Tracker

I believe JD is prob at least 800 kids 9-12th.. Me thinks your stats are from 2005. I have inside information so you can bank on it

• softballgirl Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 6:28 p.m.

For those who think Manti is complaining about having to play a larger school, please realize that the majority of us Manti fans are not complaining about who we're playing for the championship. We understand that because of our enrollment, we will constantly be moving in the different classifications. With that being said, we look forward to playing in another championship game, regardless of who our opponent is. Good luck to both teams, we're hoping for a great game!

• Mtn Tracker Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Podunk
    You continue to amaze me. I'm not informed? Google Utah High School Enrollment. Let's see if you can figure it out. JD total enrollment 662. Judge total enrollment 863. You said yourself in another article there were vast differences between urban an rural schools. I make that point here and you argue with me. Just curious how old you are, 12 maybe 14?

Short Bus
    Manti has never been the largest 2A school. When Manti went back to 2A a couple years ago Richfield and Emery went 2A also. Both schools were bigger. Richfield is still more than 100 students bigger. Manti has since grown larger than Emery. I feel the new 3A classification is the tightest in the state. Only a 400 student difference. To bad the UHSAA only looks at enrollment as their criteria. No public boundary type school will ever feel there's a fair playing field when we play a school like JD or Judge. You can disagree all you want, it doesn't matter. No one from Manti has ever complained about #'s. It's not #'s, it's recruiting.

• JM Fan Murray, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Judge does not recruit kids to play football. They do not scholarship. There is financial aide available. Write a check for $9,000 a year and you can be "recruited". Judge is a college prep school for Catholics and others. Football is not the priority. Ask the Principal.

Utah is a unique state when it comes to high schools. Most of the mid size schools are small town schools. Which is why JM and JD do not fit. Agree that they should both be 4A for non -football. The issue with football is that they do not have the numbers, at least in the case of JM. Freshman football had less then 20 players.

Do not like 3A and 3AA by the way - dumb.

• tharef Riverton, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Why are all these people complaining about Judge Recruiting players all over the state. They have been doing it for 40 years. And they haven't won the State Championship in 30 years. They don't have an advantage, if it was giving them an advantage they would have a heck of alot more championships in thier trophy case. Go Diggers

• The Short Bus St. Johns, NFL
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:47 p.m.

help me out. when Manti was the biggest school in 2A does anyone remember them saying anything about the numbers. I DON'T

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:44 p.m.

MTn Tracker

BTW, JD has more students than Judge, probably 100-150 more, so obviously you are not the most informed mind in the state

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Mtn Tracker

your 3 year old must be very, very, very smart

• Mtn Tracker Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:25 a.m.

inkme

Not only is Judge a school that doesn't have a boundary and can recruit, they should be 4A. JD has fewer students. Their are plenty of these no boundary schools to go around that have sports programs. Call it what you want, recruiting, acquiring, it is what it is. There's no getting around it. No boundaries, same level of classification as public schools. Which is even better in judge's case. Just because Judge hasn't won a championship in forever doesn't mean they don't try to bring in football players. We dealt with JD a few years back just the same as judge has lately. It's not Judge that we don't like. It's the UHSAA and their ridiculous rules.

Podunk
    Your intelligence is about the same as my 3 year old. There are plenty no boundary type schools in utah for private / charter schools to have a league.

• OneTime Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:00 a.m.

@CTJ fan

Are you assuming or do you know for fact that Judge recruits football players? Just because they can, doesn't mean they do. Students go to Judge for the faith and education, not football.

A lot of SL County schools have open enrollment. Do you think recruiting go on in non-private high schools?

• 123UTAH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:55 p.m.

Go Judge!!!

• CTJ fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:15 p.m.

@UtahBruin

That was my bad assuming that you were a fan of Judge. Overall though I agreed with you that Judge played the more difficult schedule. I am by no way stating that Mtn view or Provo are great teams but anytime you have a school with 3 times the students it's something to notice. When 1 team has to play both ways and other doesn't that is a bit of an advantage. For a school Manti's size those aren't just cakewalk games. If you look at the other schedules I think You'd agree were just behind Judge in that regard.

I'm not big on the talk that Judge should be a 4A team because they can recruit etc, yes it does give them advantages but its not their fault it's the high school board that should take the brunt of that. I do think that Judge will face a completely different team in Manti then it did a few weeks ago. This should be a very good game, looking forward to it.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 2:57 p.m.

I was there. It was a heck of a good game from both manti and Morgan. Either could have won the game. Both played basic smash mouth football. Manti did what they had to do to win. They played largely mistake free. Judge should take notice.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Nebsy

Ok JD will Play Judge 9 times during the regular season, and then play a championship game between themselves up the U.. can you get an education in Ephraim

• sinkme Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Once again, the "recruiting angle." I will ask it again, where was all this talk last year when Judge was rolled by Morgan and beat by Grantsville? Where was the talk when they were ousted out of the first round of the playoffs a few years ago by Delta or some school down that way? Judge had SIX seniors on their team last year. This year there is closer to 20. Most of which received considerable playing time last year. That has translated into more wins this year. Talent comes and goes. At Judge and Manti and everywhere else. The last Football Championship for Judge was 1983. If they are recruiting, they need to fire the guy in charge of it.

• Nebsy Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:49 a.m.

I think the most valuable comment here is regarding UHSAA creating a separate classification for private schools.
    In my opinion, Judge has all of the advantages and resources and, on paper, should come out on top this weekend. All the more reason.....I will be cheering for the public school underdog Templars to overcome that challenge (as they have proven able to do over and over).

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:32 a.m.

there will be no asterik awarded to the championship but you all can let your imaginations run wild on all the supposed recruiting that Judge does.. give me a break

• Mtn Tracker Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:27 a.m.

@ UTahBruin

Manti is a 2A School. They play only football in 3A.

• Mtn Tracker Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:14 a.m.

If Manti wins this will be a huge victory for them. If Judge wins put another asterisk on it for the UHSAA. Public Schools with boundaries competing with a catholic school that recruits players from everywhere. Yet still has the same classification due to the number of students that attend. Just like Jaun Diego University, Judge has figured how to give scholarships to players and call them academic scholarships. Until the UHSAA does what almost every other state has done and create a separate league, any championship that these private schools win will be tainted with a false glory.

• The Short Bus St. Johns, NFL
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:47 a.m.

If manti loses to 4a judge I think the uhsaa should call a special session to redue the classifaction. JM2C

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:16 a.m.

@CJT

First, no I am not Judge fan. I follow High School football and this is only my two cents. It doesn't mean I am right.

Second, I am very familiar with Shelley, Idaho football. Having done business up in the Idaho Falls area, and with many friends up there I am familiar with Shelley. Smaller school in a larger classification living area. Compared to Utah, they are a Timpview, a school who is 4A and should be in 5A. That is Shelley.

Third, you talk about how Shelley beat a Utah 5A team. Impressive, they beat a 1-9 West Jordan team who's only win came against a 1-9 Hillcrest team.

Fourth, to talk about schedules, Judges losses are to 9-2 Pine View who's two losses are by a combined 7 points, and 10-1 Woods Cross,who's only loss is to arguably the best team in the state in East.

Fifth, Manti has been a great team for many, many year. I am not taking anything away from them. I wish them the best of luck. May the best team win. I just think that is Judge Memorial.

• ABITOUTSIDE Central, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 11:12 p.m.

Yes, and Manti plays another 4A team for the championship, so 4 games against 4A teams.

• CTJ fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 9:22 p.m.

Judge Memorial did have the hardest schedule for sure, but Manti's was not far behind that. Something you missed UtahBruin was that Manti beat a very good Shelley Idaho team this year and it was the first loss that team had in over 2 seasons. Shelley had already beaten a 5A utah team the week before by 4 touchdowns, so yes other than Judge, Manti played the most difficult schedule for 3A.

I take it UtahBruin that your a Judge Memorial fan, so you know it also ends for Judge this week too, it is the last game of the year. And if you think that Judge will just walk through the game that will be a major mistake, first of all Manti is at full strength now which it haden't been all season, one of it's best players missed the year, and just came back for the playoffs. Also during the Judge game they had guys not playing, and basically played their second string most the second half that your first string scored 3 more touchdowns on. Pretty classy by the way, so do us a favor and be overconfident.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 7:03 p.m.

I am not quite sure how Mantis schedule is one of the toughest in 3A, the non region games where Provo and Mt. View who combined records was 2-18, other than that, they played roughly the same schedule as every other school in 3A. Judge Memorial who they lost to once already I would give the toughest 3A schedule too, having played Pine View (3AA SemiFinalist) and Woods Cross (4A SemiFinalist). It ends for Manti this week. Congrats on a good season though.

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 3:59 p.m.

Channel five sports casters called Manti the underdogs in this game! I do not know how they came to this conculsion! They have played one of the toughest scedules in 3A and had the same record as Morgan before this game was played! Rankings mean nothing! You still have to play the game!